ADVERTISEMENT

Clearfield versus Keyser 2014 Highlights

I see this same, or very similar, offense every Fri in the fall. My son's team runs the triple option, and what makes it virtually unstoppable is in addition to what the video shows, with effective passing is a good running QB. That's the key. The video didn't show him running. With that even average RBs are effective. It's a fun offense to watch, and very similar to what WVU runs. Thanks for sharing...

Nice series of passes - then again, they still lost. If Clearfield can't stop Smith inside and Brown outside they will lose this one on Friday. That's the problem with beating FH. Their line shows up on every play for the entire game. I will call it the 'Douglas championship game syndrome' where the receivers and quarterback get wobbly as the game goes on.

Nice series of passes - then again, they still lost. If Clearfield can't stop Smith inside and Brown outside they will lose this one on Friday. That's the problem with beating FH. Their line shows up on every play for the entire game. I will call it the 'Douglas championship game syndrome' where the receivers and quarterback get wobbly as the game goes on.

Clearfield's record over the previous 5 or six years is impressive, it was even more impressive last year as they hadn't lost a regular season game in years. But the level of competition is suspect to me now. Last year, they were on fire against Keyser, but a few simple adjustments and Keyser went beast mode on Clearfield and the Bison were not physically up to the challenge. Clearfield had KHS dead to rights, but after halftime, if you were there, you would have thought there was a catastrophe on CHS's sideline as they had kids being helped off the field left and right. Keyser, like Fort Hill, is a bully of a team, and they imposed their will on Clearfield. Clearfield is supposed to be better than they were last year, with a lot of their biggest playmakers, including the Caldwell kid, returning. But if they didn't figure out how to handle a physical team that can grind them down a field and make time of possession and line play important, then I don't know how in the world they can beat Fort Hill, another team that bullies their opponent in a fashion that I just don't think Clearfield is accustomed to dealing with. Keyser's line last year dominated the Bison linemen and opened huge gaping holes. Fort Hill's line this year is going to be able to do the same if not more, I believe, and I think that will be the difference in the game.

If FHHS is able to be physical and run with the receivers of Clearfield, I think FHHS pulls away and wins this one without having to battle for four quarters. If Clearfield gives their QB time, the passing game will be such a focus for FHHS's defense that the running lanes will open up and then you'll see Fort Hill having to battle tooth and nail to secure a win. If Clearfield has improved their defensive front enough to hang with the o-line of FHHS, then I think Clearfield will pick up an impressive victory.

My prediction is that Fort HIll will do a respectable job, CHS won't be ready for another physical team from our area, and Fort Hill will win by two+ touchdowns on a trip North of Altoona.

I don't foresee Clearfield's QB being half as prolific as the big kid from Brunswick in 2011 - but I have a gut feeling that the scoring summary will be of a similar ilk. I think both teams will be able to score, with Fort Hill doing so a little more consistently. Relying too heavily on the pass, Clearfield will be more apt to have miscues, maybe even a pick or two for FH. I see FH running fairly basic wing T stuff and being pretty successful with it due to the aforementioned size differential on the lines..

Something in the neighborhood of 38-20 Fort Hill.

I don't foresee Clearfield's QB being half as prolific as the big kid from Brunswick in 2011 - but I have a gut feeling that the scoring summary will be of a similar ilk. I think both teams will be able to score, with Fort Hill doing so a little more consistently. Relying too heavily on the pass, Clearfield will be more apt to have miscues, maybe even a pick or two for FH. I see FH running fairly basic wing T stuff and being pretty successful with it due to the aforementioned size differential on the lines..

Something in the neighborhood of 38-20 Fort Hill.

I see the possibility of what you project (note my above post), with the caveat that FH doesn't have the linebackers or the secondary from last year - nor does it have (as I recall) the secondary it had in 2011. I know it's early for Clearfield to sharpen its passing game but they will field the exact same players from last year that had a great passing game. FH just doesn't have that kind of game experience to stop that kind of attack. We shall see. FH will have to drive the ball and be mistake free or possibly be down a bunch of points early.

In order for that offense to click out of the gates, Clearfield better have been in a lot of passing leagues this summer to get the timing down. I go back to a prior post I made, and what really makes that offense work is a good running qb off the option.

I don't think that Clearfield is the passing team that everyone thinks that they are. Granted, against Keyser, Clearfield threw 28 passes, but overall, in 13 games last season Clearfield threw 152 passes and completed less than half of them. They throw but they like to run the football, over 500 carries last year. I guess that you could say that they throw more than FH or Alco, but who doesn't! lol

With that said, they were young last year, that part bothers me as this year, Fort Hill is the young team. Line play is going to be the key. If Fort Hill wins the battle up front, and Clearfield throws 30 times, I feel that the win will go to the big red.

I don't think that Clearfield is the passing team that everyone thinks that they are. Granted, against Keyser, Clearfield threw 28 passes, but overall, in 13 games last season Clearfield threw 152 passes and completed less than half of them. They throw but they like to run the football, over 500 carries last year. I guess that you could say that they throw more than FH or Alco, but who doesn't! lol

With that said, they were young last year, that part bothers me as this year, Fort Hill is the young team. Line play is going to be the key. If Fort Hill wins the battle up front, and Clearfield throws 30 times, I feel that the win will go to the big red.
Good points. Don't you think the number of passes to runs would depend on what their competition was giving them (taking away the pass)? Even at 15-20 passes per game average is pretty significant for high school. FH usually does a very good job stopping the run, but with young LBs could be a different story. If the safeties have to play run support that will mean long-ball time... We'll think positive...

FH could have been worried about their young LBers. Powell got moved back to LBer and looks to be starting along side Poling. We shall see on Friday night.

I'm thinking that the young LBer might need to shake off a little rust. After all, he missed most of last season with an injury. In the long run, he'll be a great one. It's great to have a kid like Powell, he can play a few positions in FH's scheme.

Also, keep in mind that Keyser's secondary last season was young, minus the Turner kid who was a 3 year starter but was playing at corner instead of Safety, where he had been previously. The first half was a blood bath for them, as Clearfield torched them. But the second half adjustments were good and they shut things down and even picked off the QB at the end of the game to seal the deal. The rest of the year, they played far better and even managed to hang in there against Jefferson's air it out offense that had torched them the previous year for over 500 yards and a ridiculous amount of points.

So some of Clearfield's passing reputation was earned against Keyser last year when Keyser was still finding their way in the secondary. I still think they will pass more often than a lot of teams in our area, but Fort Hill has the speed and athleticism to run with their speed and the size differential on the line should be too much for the Bison. I don't think it will the cake walk some have predicted unless Fort Hill completely stops the passing game and the Caldwell kid. But I think Fort Hill spends most of the fourth quarter thinking of a far more familiar opponent.

I'm thinking that the young LBer might need to shake off a little rust. After all, he missed most of last season with an injury. In the long run, he'll be a great one. It's great to have a kid like Powell, he can play a few positions in FH's scheme.

no doubt in my mind

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT