ADVERTISEMENT

Clearfield backs out of contract, dodges Fort Hill

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Clearfield and Fort Hill have a signed two year varsity football contract for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. One game there, one game here. Both games were to be played on Week 1 of each team's schedule (9-4-15 and 9-2-16). Fort Hill made the two hour drive to Clearfield this year and won by a score of 49-14.

Three weeks ago, Clearfield called to say they were not going to return the game to Fort Hill in 2016. The state of Pennsylvania will move to six classifications next fall and has moved the first week all schools can play their first game up a week to August 26. So what most PA schools did was just shift their schedule up a week, which meant for FH to play Clearfield in Week 1 the game would have to bump up to August 26. But the MPSSAA does not allow its Maryland schools to play a game until September 2. The PIAA notified all schools of this just one month ago. There was no warning, which was really a horrible quick last minute type of decision. That's another story.

However, before Clearfield called Fort Hill to let them know of this, they went out and picked up two completely new teams to replace FH and filled their schedule. So when they called Fort Hill, they stated they had no holes left to move FH into. FH could have moved the game date to accommodate had they not done this. So instead of working to fill a prior contract obligation, Clearfield went out and signed new teams to a contract before telling FH they would not return the trip next year.

FH has asked Clearfield to at least pay for the FH travel expenses or split the gate from this past September game. To wit Clearfield said NO...too bad. Their budget won't allow it despite the fact FH poured at minimum 800 paying fans into that fully packed stadium. The PIAA and the Mountain Conference they reside in have stated that they wish to leave it up to both schools to work this situation out between them. The problem is, FH has been given zero say in the matter. Clearfield flat out says the contract means nothing, they are going to play whoever they want and FH will get no money from them...end of discussion.

It's against my better judgement to go public with situations like this, but I'm tired of these dirty deeds being done behind closed doors. The public deserves to know the truth. FH will appeal through the proper channels. And yet FH will be labeled the bad guy for standing up to yet another bad deal they were handed. Don't hold your breath for any new resolution. You would have thought that Clearfield would have just been more than happy to share their huge payday at the gate and pay FH for their traveling expenses to get off the hook in this mess. Clearfield still would have made out plenty financially. Not the case. Not only does FH lose a game now for next year, they lose a home game as well as money spent to travel two hours away.

Not sure why contracts are even signed. It's obviously a waste of time. And if you ask a few handful of ADs from around that part of PA, you will find out that getting beat 49-14 in their only regular season loss of the year has plenty to do with it. It's doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out. If there is nothing to hide in this mess, then there should be no issue to putting this in a public forum. After all, it's county money that is being unfairly and illegally wasted here. Of which, Allegany County has little to none.

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
Calling Judge Judy..........

Unless we can make some inroads into the Winchester area it's going to come down to playing one of the Gilman type schools to get a full schedule isn't it ??

Last edited:
PA likes to talk a good game about their brand of football but they continue to run and hide after ass whoopings from a small school in little ole MD

Oh and a slight correction. I think Clearfield was the place that was $3 a head to get in. I couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
James wood ,,now that would be nice and we have a good relationship with them ,but would they take the risk ? I'm thinking no even tho they loved the fact that we beat there crosstown rival... TD would have the knowledge if this could happen...

Clearfield sucks, bottom line, they benefit from the fact that they are in the Pennsytucky part of Pennsyvania, that part in the middle of the state that is the only part that sucks. They tout all those 10 plus win seasons but consistently get the early exit every year when they face real competition. These schools who aren't from the power portions of Pennsylvania don't like the fact that they embarrass Pennsylvania football by losing to Maryland schools...think Ligonier Valley. Losers.

Todd, continue your exhaustive searches, please, and again thank you for all you do. But, I'm afraid we're going to have to start rolling the dice and going with a few powerhouses like we did this year with Sherando. Is what it is.

I know Baltimore probably won't allow it, but I still want to see a two two showdown (Queen City versus Charm City) classic to open the year. Fort Hill vs. Dunbar and say Allegany vs. Edmondson.....pipe dream, I know schedules would have to align and the Baltimore powers to be would have to approve it but damn, seriously how awesome would it be?

Last edited:
Through no fault of our own, we've obviously blown our Pennshlvania wad. I think our best hope is upgrading to bigger Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia schools.

Last edited:
Keep in mind too, Clearfield was still in shock from the year before coming to Keyser to face a lowly (in their eyes) West Virginia AA team and getting their butts beat. I ran into a Clearfield couple and their teenage son after that Keyser game at the Cumberland Wendy's that night, friendly folks, but they were obviously in shock losing to a West Virginia school, especially one that wasn't even a highest level (AAA) school. Those people have been fed a line of BS by their Penn State alum coaching staff, getting spoiled by all those 10 win seasons only to get thrashed annually when they play playoff competition. 3 dollar tickets, Pierogies in the concession stand, nachos with a gallon of cheese on top.....those people are content to live in la la land, Pleasantville if you will, and not in actually producing football teams that can win outside of the land that still has County Markets.

Were there any stipulations as to what would happen if the contract was breached?

If not, then legally there might not be much that can be done.
A complete rat bastard move nonetheless. Spineless. Would be great to be able to ruin their season somehow.

Pretty lame that Pennsylvania would throw that on the schools like that, though.

Clearfield and Fort Hill have a signed two year varsity football contract for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. One game there, one game here. Both games were to be played on Week 1 of each team's schedule (9-4-15 and 9-2-16). Fort Hill made the two hour drive to Clearfield this year and won by a score of 49-14.

Three weeks ago, Clearfield called to say they were not going to return the game to Fort Hill in 2016. The state of Pennsylvania will move to six classifications next fall and has moved the first week all schools can play their first game up a week to August 26. So what most PA schools did was just shift their schedule up a week, which meant for FH to play Clearfield in Week 1 the game would have to bump up to August 26. But the MPSSAA does not allow its Maryland schools to play a game until September 2. The PIAA notified all schools of this just one month ago. There was no warning, which was really a horrible quick last minute type of decision. That's another story.

However, before Clearfield called Fort Hill to let them know of this, they went out and picked up two completely new teams to replace FH and filled their schedule. So when they called Fort Hill, they stated they had no holes left to move FH into. FH could have moved the game date to accommodate had they not done this. So instead of working to fill a prior contract obligation, Clearfield went out and signed new teams to a contract before telling FH they would not return the trip next year.

FH has asked Clearfield to at least pay for the FH travel expenses or split the gate from this past September game. To wit Clearfield said NO...too bad. Their budget won't allow it despite the fact FH poured at minimum 800 paying fans into that fully packed stadium at $5 a head. The PIAA and the Mountain Conference they reside in have stated that they wish to leave it up to both schools to work this situation out between them. The problem is, FH has been given zero say in the matter. Clearfield flat out says the contract means nothing, they are going to play whoever they want and FH will get no money from them...end of discussion.

It's against my better judgement to go public with situations like this, but I'm tired of these dirty deeds being done behind closed doors. The public deserves to know the truth. FH will appeal through the proper channels. And yet FH will be labeled the bad guy for standing up to yet another bad deal they were handed. Don't hold your breath for any new resolution. You would have thought that Clearfield would have just been more than happy to share their huge payday at the gate and pay FH for their traveling expenses to get off the hook in this mess. Clearfield still would have made out plenty financially. Not the case. Not only does FH lose a game now for next year, they lose a home game as well as money spent to travel two hours away.

Not sure why contracts are even signed. It's obviously a waste of time. And if you ask a few handful of ADs from around that part of PA, you will find out that getting beat 49-14 in their only regular season loss of the year has plenty to do with it. It's doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out. If there is nothing to hide in this mess, then there should be no issue to putting this in a public forum. After all, it's county money that is being unfairly and illegally wasted here. Of which, Allegany County has little to none.
It honestly doesn't sound like the contract is the problem as much as the person who wrote the contract. If you have no repercussions for backing out of a contract then it doesn't matter whether you sign it or not. Clearly Clearfield has no ethics or morals, but what they do have is a better lawyer. Don't enter into a contract when you have no legal recourse for breach of that contract.

Stating the obvious, but in today's world the words 'integrity' and 'responsibility' is often foreign... Protect yourself at ALL times, and since contracts are required that "don't mean anything" get the first game of a two game contract in Cumberland. This may seem crazy, but maybe not, have each school from out of state that is scheduled put in $1,000 into an escrow until after the contract period. Fort Hill would do the same. If the contract is fulfilled accordingly then you get your escrow money back. If the contract is broken, as in Clearfield, then Fort Hill walks away with the money, or visa versa.

It's a shame things have gotten like this, but if you don't protect yourself in every way shame on you... Good luck!

What's the sense of contracts if they're not enforced??? The two parties are better off spitting in their palm and shaking on it... Hopefully Clearfield can be replaced with a quality opponent...

Sounds like buyers remorse in scheduling Keyser or FH and Clearfield wanted the experiment to end, but they should've settled accounts. Have bad faith lawsuits ever been filed over such things? Probably not. The result of litigation would be even more scheduling issues and lost money. On the plus side, Curley and Sherando are still on for next year thanks to the scheduler's efforts.

I realize many of you are not familiar with the scheduling dilemma so I will quickly rehash again. It's easy to say what about this team or that team, what about James Wood, Millbrook or the Winchester area schools. What about Frederick or Fairmont? Logic should tell you that of course those schools are asked repeatedly about playing a game. Handley for example, had the same openings last winter but just flat out didn't wish to play FH. It's not just a matter of whether you want to play someone or not, they must not only have an opening, but the same open date that you have. And of course they have to be willing to play FH, which is more than half the problem.

FH must play a certain handful of Class 1A teams. Since no 1A teams will play FH, you then go find a Class 1A equivalent. No, you don't load the schedule up with those teams, but you must have a few. C'mon lettuce, loading up the schedule with all bigger powerhouse schools? How many times do we have to go through this debate? THE PLAYOFFS WILL NOT ALLOW IT! I don't care what anyone says, that's the way it's going to be. FH is not going to be the only 1A or 2A school in the state that just loads up with all powerhouses. With Sherando and South Hagerstown on the schedule, plus possibly another good opponent who is larger in size...that's it. The rest need to be Class 1A or 2A schools. Also know that Baltimore City schools such as Dunbar or Edmondson will not travel to Cumberland without compensation. Even if we agree to a two year deal to go there one time, they still require compensation for driving 2+ hours. That is handled and has been mandated in the past by the Baltimore City AD much the way PG County works. There is no reason to extend their low budget when they have plenty of teams to play in their own back yard. Although I have stated before that it would benefit FH to play a team such as Dunbar on a two year deal. Go there one time and pay for their bus to come here one time. It would be beneficial because of the home gate FH would receive when the Poets come here. Baltimore doesn't have that luxury of the same huge gate payout.

HOW CONTRACTS WORK
The PIAA and the MPSSAA have their own contract forms that you can print out from their respective websites. These are the only contracts available which you can see here at the MPSSAA official website: MPSSAA CONTRACT

These forms are super basic and do not have any clauses written in that allow for penalties in breaking the contract. Although I have seen on a few very rare occasions where an AD wrote a stipulation in on the allotted blank space. This is not the problem however. Even if you do write in a clause or even create your own typewritten contract, who is going to make sure that it is enforced? If the MPSSAA and the PIAA isn't going to stand by their OWN contacts and implement a penalty for breaking the contract then what is the sense in having any contract at all?

Reactions: zoriolus
Todd, in fairness, I didn't suggest loading up the schedule with powerhouses, I simply said rolling the dice...with a few powerhouses like we did this year." In theory, Clearfield was touted as a powerhouse, Curley a quality 9-10 win private school, South Hagerstown a 9-10 win Maryland A school and of course Sherando. So what I'm saying is, when we go to replace say Clearfield, lets consider saying yes to somebody maybe we normally wouldn't say yes to, in replacing say, one of the opponents. I'm not criticizing, I in fact probably agree with Fort Hill's scheduling more than most and could write post upon post lauding the success of the schedule at producing points and sitting Fort Hill up nicely for a title run.

As for the Baltimore thing, I clearly understand the issue, but I'd be curious to see the actual costs involved in bringing a team up here. What are they? Are you talking the cost of 1 bus only? Can you just feed them Pizza or spaghetti. How much is the cost, it can't be cost prohibitive to pay for say Dunbar with the crowd you'd get, but I don't know, I'd really like to know what they are specifically. I know there are way more issues like open dates but it could be awesome....and doable.

Thanks for the tutorial. I understand that there are few incentives for area schools to play FH.
Paragraph 8 of Md. contract: "In case of cancellation of contract or failure or failure of any one of the contracting parties to fulfill the terms of the contract, except by mutual written consent, the offending school may be disciplined subject to the Appeals Committee."

I realize that the contract might be slightly different, but could discipline include forfeiture in this cross state situation? Might Md. unilaterally award the game if a replacement isn't found?

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I realize many of you are not familiar with the scheduling dilemma so I will quickly rehash again. It's easy to say what about this team or that team, what about James Wood, Millbrook or the Winchester area schools. What about Frederick or Fairmont? Logic should tell you that of course those schools are asked repeatedly about playing a game. Handley for example, had the same openings last winter but just flat out didn't wish to play FH. It's not just a matter of whether you want to play someone or not, they must not only have an opening, but the same open date that you have. And of course they have to be willing to play FH, which is more than half the problem.

FH must play a certain handful of Class 1A teams. Since no 1A teams will play FH, you then go find a Class 1A equivalent. No, you don't load the schedule up with those teams, but you must have a few. C'mon lettuce, loading up the schedule with all bigger powerhouse schools? How many times do we have to go through this debate? THE PLAYOFFS WILL NOT ALLOW IT! I don't care what anyone says, that's the way it's going to be. FH is not going to be the only 1A or 2A school in the state that just loads up with all powerhouses. With Sherando and South Hagerstown on the schedule, plus possibly another good opponent who is larger in size...that's it. The rest need to be Class 1A or 2A schools. Also know that Baltimore City schools such as Dunbar or Edmondson will not travel to Cumberland without compensation. Even if we agree to a two year deal to go there one time, they still require compensation for driving 2+ hours. That is handled and has been mandated in the past by the Baltimore City AD much the way PG County works. There is no reason to extend their low budget when they have plenty of teams to play in their own back yard. Although I have stated before that it would benefit FH to play a team such as Dunbar on a two year deal. Go there one time and pay for their bus to come here one time. It would be beneficial because of the home gate FH would receive when the Poets come here. Baltimore doesn't have that luxury of the same huge gate payout.

HOW CONTRACTS WORK
The PIAA and the MPSSAA have their own contract forms that you can print out from their respective websites. These are the only contracts available which you can see here at the MPSSAA official website: MPSSAA CONTRACT

These forms are super basic and do not have any clauses written in that allow for penalties in breaking the contract. Although I have seen on a few very rare occasions where an AD wrote a stipulation in on the allotted blank space. This is not the problem however. Even if you do write in a clause or even create your own typewritten contract, who is going to make sure that it is enforced? If the MPSSAA and the PIAA isn't going to stand by their OWN contacts and implement a penalty for breaking the contract then what is the sense in having any contract at all?

Agree, Todd. I can not imagine the frustration you deal with year-in and year-out, and you don't even have to... Your statement "If the MPSSAA and the PIAA isn't going to stand by their OWN contacts and implement a penalty for breaking the contract then what is the sense in having any contract at all?[/QUOTE] is what I'm saying. Without some 'skin in the game', whether penalty (forfeit that would effect record, loss of $$$, etc) the 'agreements' (if that's what they are) are worthless, as you said. And, without a governing body to oversee and make sure the rules & penalties are enforced it's a free-for-all. It seems to me to be another slap in the face, and a 'I DON'T GIVE A SHIT' attitude from the MPSSAA to the 1A Western Region, as I'm sure the bigger classes and Regions don't have the same constant headache of getting games.

No sweat lettuce. I knew what you were saying :)
The cost for a charter bus and meal (which is usually stadium pizza and soda after the game) is about $1600. Not much really. So if Clearfield would reimburse for the travel (after they easily cleared over $8000 from the FH game), FH might be able to pay a Baltimore school to come here to make up for the lost home game. Also know, that it is much more expensive for FH to travel because they do bus the band, cheerleaders, drill team, etc. to all road games....which means more buses to pay for.

If you recall, North Hagerstown backed out of a 2 year contract as well and they are a MPSSAA school to boot. The MPSSAA said they had no control over league schedules like the MVAL put together. FH had to fight that and finally North was forced to return the game two years later against their will. But I think that call came down from Washington County.

When you are dealing with non-MPSSAA schools such as Clearfield or Archbishop Curley, the MPSSAA has no say over what they do. What probably bothers me personally (and this is just me making my own assumptions) is that if the roles were reversed the MPSSAA would most certainly force FH to play the game. Can you imagine the outrage if FH did this with a Baltimore or DC school?

160 bucks, thanks for the info. out of pure curiosity, have we ever inquired of Bridgeport? I think a lot of people would kill to see this game.

$1600
Morgantown makes more sense.
FH has actually tried to make a frosh or JV game work with Bridgeport, but they are just a little too far for frosh or JV travel.

Trust me though when I tell you that after FH lost to Keyser this year, they were staring at games against Curley, South Hagerstown, Sherando and Alco. With two of the first three on the road. Then you turn around and look at what others in the 1A West were playing and it made you sick to the stomach. Not knowing at the time where this young Sentinel team might be caused much anxiety and hatred for this system. FH is ready to just play MATHS 6 times like everyone else even it it means traveling to Buffalo to find that team and say screw what anyone else thinks. Can't say I disagree. The coaches know better than the people here by a long shot. Entertaining fans and putting fannies in the seats isn't the goal by a long shot. Which I might add...the crowd at the Northern game was terrible.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority by saying this but I think local teams and other 1a teams not playing FH has actually made FH better and in turn made it more difficult for those teams to beat FH. Basically they've made the monster bigger and badder by "forcing" FH to play Sherando, Kent Island, etc.

Now on the other hand if I was a coach at FH I'd probably feel differently just because they are forced to play by other rules so to speak.

Todd, while you are in this thread and on another subject. Do you know of any JV players moved to varsity this year? I forgot to look on the sidelines Friday night for new numbers.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority by saying this but I think local teams and other 1a teams not playing FH has actually made FH better and in turn made it more difficult for those teams to beat FH. Basically they've made the monster bigger and badder by "forcing" FH to play Sherando, Kent Island, etc.

Now on the other hand if I was a coach at FH I'd probably feel differently just because they are forced to play by other rules so to speak.

Todd, while you are in this thread and on another subject. Do you know of any JV players moved to varsity this year? I forgot to look on the sidelines Friday night for new numbers.

I totally agree, honestly, I can't imagine a schedule that would be full of all these 1A West snoozers, I'll take Sherando (not for every game), South Hagerstown and Curley every time.

Don't get me wrong, of course you want Allegany and Boonsboro and you may as well say SMithsburg and Northern, but there's no way I really want to see Southern anymore, Hancock, Clear Spring or the new version of Brunswick (winless).

For next year, a perfect schedule would be:

1) Smithsburg
2) Keyser
3) Boonsboro
4) Silver Oak
5) Curley
6) Northern
7) South Hagerstown
8) Sherando
9) Mountain Ridge
10) Allegany

Honestly, because I think Fort Hill is going to be super good, you could possible replace Smithsburg or Northern with Martinsburg or Dunbar if you could somehow get them.

Honestly this is the chance you take when you schedule out of state schools. Not a knock on FH or TD just the truth. MR had that situation happen this year which limited them to 9 games. It is really sad they can't schedule more MD teams. Mountain Ridge's 2016 schedule will be 7 WV schools, 2 MD schools, and 1 PA school.

I do not want to open up a big can of crap here but TD is there any truth that Southern is trying to schedule Fort Hill next year? Please don't kill the messenger here!

I liked the $3 admission. And the cheesy pretzel. The football team was the weakest link of the whole trip.

Is there any rule that that states the MPSSAA (PIAA) contract templates are the ONLY contracts that may be used? If not, use a legal binding contract that you (or a lawyer type) comes up with. Otherwise, you might as well write your name in crayon on the back of a piece of toilet paper. Cause that is what its worth.

I get it, honor, integrity, etc...but that doesn't really exist anymore.

I'd make an example out of Clearfield and take that to the other teams in the area up there. What about Hollidaysburg (actually good football and a lot closer). Any chance they'd want to rekindle an old, short lived rivalry? Sherando was a nice return to an old game, maybe the Golden Tigers would be willing too? Best of luck Todd. If FH should happen to win #3 in a row this December...it's not going to get any easier.

Don't want to get off topic here, but Beall02 do you have the Ridge's schedule for next year, or at least the schools they will be playing.
This Clearfield debacle for Fort Hill sucks. I guess they figured they were going to play a little 1A school from Western MD and just walk right through them. Little did they know they were going to get their a$$ kicked. Even though it is not going to happen, Clearfield needs to man up and return the trip to Cumberland.

HOW CONTRACTS WORK

Have you reached out to the better downstate 2A schools like Gwynn Park, Douglass, Westlake, Friendly, Patuxent or Calvert? I know Alco played Calvert two years in a row a couple of years ago and both of those games were good.

Don't want to get off topic here, but Beall02 do you have the Ridge's schedule for next year, or at least the schools they will be playing.
This Clearfield debacle for Fort Hill sucks. I guess they figured they were going to play a little 1A school from Western MD and just walk right through them. Little did they know they were going to get their a$$ kicked. Even though it is not going to happen, Clearfield needs to man up and return the trip to Cumberland.

MR 2016 SCHEDULE

09.02.16 @ John Marshall (WV)
09.09.16 vs. Hedgesville (WV)
09.16.16 vs. Allegany
09.23.16 @ Hampshire (WV)
09.30.16 vs. Frankfort (WV)
10.07.16 vs. Chestnut Ridge (PA)
10.14.16 @ Northern
10.21.16 @ Spring Mills (WV)
10.28.16 @ Fort Hill
11.04.16 vs. Keyser (WV)

Reactions: CrickRat23
I do not want to open up a big can of crap here but TD is there any truth that Southern is trying to schedule Fort Hill next year? Please don't kill the messenger here!

I can't imagine that this is true at all. If they are they must be desperate to fill an open date. They took Mountain Ridge off the schedule starting this year because of competition. And that is even with the downward spiral that the MR program has had in the past couple years.

I'm told that when the time comes, all three Allegany County schools will be back on the Southern schedule, but it won't be next year.

I would imagine that will be when Southern can get its program back to the level they expect it to be.

I agree. Wishful thinking but it would be great if all local teams played each other, but sometimes situations just won't allow it. How will MR be next year? Any idea on who the new head coach will be?

They should have known FH was going to pound them, because Keyser did last year.

I agree. Wishful thinking but it would be great if all local teams played each other, but sometimes situations just won't allow it. How will MR be next year? Any idea on who the new head coach will be?

They lose a ton of talent to graduation. With that being said, they should be able to finish above .500 next year. Playoffs is a possibility. 2A West is tough to get in the Top 4 however. They return their QB who should have a strong Senior year. They lose their top runner, but bring back their second leading rusher. I will be interested to see how many they get on the roster next year. I would imagine that Ryan Patterson will be the head coach. That isn't official just my guess. I could be wrong though. Either way, unless they get an unexpected influx of talent, while a winning season and playoff spot may be for the taking, they will still have some work to do to get up with the level of competition in this area.

Thanks beall02, was just wondering what they had coming back. It seems MR player #'s have dropped somewhat of the last couple years. Kids just losing interest? Parents not happy? I know Frostburg seemed to always have great player #'s @ Pee Wee / Division.

$1600
FH has actually tried to make a frosh or JV game work with Bridgeport, but they are just a little too far for frosh or JV travel.

Trust me though when I tell you that after FH lost to Keyser this year, they were staring at games against Curley, South Hagerstown, Sherando and Alco. With two of the first three on the road. Then you turn around and look at what others in the 1A West were playing and it made you sick to the stomach. Not knowing at the time where this young Sentinel team might be caused much anxiety and hatred for this system. FH is ready to just play MATHS 6 times like everyone else even it it means traveling to Buffalo to find that team and say screw what anyone else thinks. Can't say I disagree. The coaches know better than the people here by a long shot. Entertaining fans and putting fannies in the seats isn't the goal by a long shot. Which I might add...the crowd at the Northern game was terrible.
$1600
$1600

I'm surprised nobody picked up on Todd's comment about the crowd at the Northern game. For a fan base that is very proud of their support and numbers that was pathetic. Half of your seats are empty for a playoff game against a team that ducks you year after year. Don't you wanta go out there and scream your heads off and disrupt their plays just to show them they can't get anywhere in the playoffs without going thru FH! Are those people that stayed home going to show up against Allegany this week? If so, what is that logic? You support your team sometimes, when the weathers good, when the opponent is the right one...what is it? It would serve you right if you all showed up and got your butts kicked, then maybe you wouldn't be taking winning for granted. It's very disrespectful to Coach Appel and all the players, starters or not, who have turned your program into a perennial winner and not just a contender and your support is to stay at home. Don't be surprised when he quits and the program tanks, just remember where you were when they needed you...home on the couch.

$1600

Why would Morgantown make more sense than Bridgeport? Bridgeport Enrollment is 724, Morgantown 1668
Morgantown High is bout 20 minutes closer but an hour and half is not far for a High School Football Game..
Bridgeport is the Defending State Champion and in 5 years is currently 55-6 in those years while Morgantown is more up and down each year but in the same time frame is 41-18
I know both would be a great pick up, I was just looking at it as people keep saying FH will play any school the same size as FH but doesn't want to play bigger schools that can platoon players. Bridgeport dresses a large number but they have less kids in the school than FH
We used to have the CVAL, here's to wishing Alco and FH played in a league with
Alco,FH,Mountain Ridge,Morgantown,University,Bridgeport,Grafton,Fairmont,East Fairmont and North Marion and that would leave one opening to play Keyser
or even if there was an 8 team league with some of these schools.
I just don't see the State jumping in to cure the problems now and I think a League is the only way for The Cumberland Schools as Home/Away games would be guaranteed every year.
I now can see the days where you can't get more than 5-6 teams on the schedule and there is no playoffs because you don't play enough games.
Now Teams like Hampshire as big as they are not playing the local schools but we have a Pee Wee League run out of Cumberland that allows them to play in our league because they have no other place to play yet they won't play us in High School. The Pee Wee league should notify them and tell them to find another league. In the old days this is how it would be done.
Remember the couple of good years that Berkeley Springs and Hancock were pretty good? well it was after they played in The Cumberland Pee Wee League and boom they were finally fielding good teams, now guess what they thumbed their noses at us and no longer play in the pee wee league and no longer play area teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT