ADVERTISEMENT

Burning Question (Fort Hill Schedule)

I am not in any way delusional about how good Martinsburg is, believe me, I am very in tune with Martinsburg's history, both ancient and recent. Just as I am there relevance in West Virginia High School Football History. While I'm well aware the Martinsburg of the last say 5 years is an entirely different animal than anything we were used to, I think the Fort Hill teams of the last 2 years could have played with them, I really do. Now, don't mistrepret what I just said, I'm not saying they would beat Martinsburg but I suspect they could have hung with the Dogs, especially last year. A break here, a break there, and Fort Hill doesn't get beat by the 5-6 touchdowns I think most are thinking.

And Brian, I loved the comment about dad working at PPG, hilarious. No, he desn't work a PPG, but he does buy his Cadillacs from Louis Spoerl and has his company picnics out at Minke's.

Seasoned Lettuce, no disrespect intended, Fort Hill certainly a high quality Maryland football team I just disagree. but my opinion means nothing either. Good luck in 2015. when you guys play Sherando this year, keep in mind that the Martinsburg teams from two years ago was probably almost twice as good.

I understand HamSpear, and I respect that. For what it's worth, the Computer says in 2014 Martinsburg beats Fort Hill 31-26 and 31-21 in 2013. not saying I agree, but interesting nonetheless.

it also predicts 2013 Sherando 26 2013 Fort hill 21, 2012 SHerando 31- FH 19. 2015 it has Fort Hill beating Sherando 31-26. Guess you guys have something to look forward to. hope it's a good game, we only have a couple of teams on our schedule that are a challenge the past few years, after a few good ones dropped us. Week 1 and 2 will be a challenge for the Warriors. So we will see how good we are after that. I will really enjoy all the fans I am hearing will come from Maryland. New rivalrys are nice and a good thing. Hopefully we can build one.

It will be interesting to see how the new Spring Mills affects sports at Martinsburg in the long run. I know that once they built Urbana in Frederick it crushed other Frederick County powers. Then adding Oakdale changed some things too, although Urbana was a massive immediate impact as FH found out at Byrd Stadium in the 1998 state championship game, which was Coach Calhoun's last game as a coach. Penn State's all-time leading passer Zach Mills was behind center for Urbana that day. I can't remember how many games Urbana went before losing a game. Was proud of FH that day though. They were outmanned but gave them a run for the trophy. I got off track, but what I meant to say was that it will be very interesting to see if Martinsburg can keep up their previous 5 year pace. But they certainly deserve credit for the run.

Wouldn't mind seeing Sherando game become a nice tradition for FH. Those stupid playoff formats in Maryland really screw things up in limiting who you can load up on though. It's a relief that North Carroll and Manchester Valley are out of the region. I can honestly say that FH coaches were very, very leery of their playoff fortunes before we knew those two teams were gone. Especially considering FH is a young team in 2015. Yes, a 7-3 season could easily leave you home for the post-season in that scenario. We were/are all aware. What a shame it has to be this way.

Not to start a war, but Fort Hill has ran off 28 straight wins and won 2 consecutive state championships. Not to mention the many successful years before that and the fact that the cupboard is full for years to come. Nonetheless, let's not bash Frankfort or even say Hampshire for wanting no part of that buzzsaw the way FH wants no part of Martinsburg, and I'm a Fort Hill guy.
the shame of 1A football is the lack of competition. not taking anything away from fh's 28 game streak, but the playoff teams fh has faced were not very good. in fact north carroll, man vally and surrattsville plain suck. and douglass is not near what a championship level team should look like they are no magruder, dunbar, wheaton, urbana. not by a long shot.

the shame of 1A football is the lack of competition. not taking anything away from fh's 28 game streak, but the playoff teams fh has faced were not very good. in fact north carroll, man vally and surrattsville plain suck. and douglass is not near what a championship level team should look like they are no magruder, dunbar, wheaton, urbana. not by a long shot.

I've made this point numerous times over the last couple of years and people always get mad at me, lol. FH doesn't play a competitive regular season schedule any more and the playoff teams they beat were very mediocre. So it's difficult to say where FH currently stacks up against other schools - like in the MD State poll. And where does this squad rank in relation to other all-time great Cumberland teams? The schedule isn't really the problem because they are 28-0 and in the playoffs you can only play the teams they give you. It's just a moment in time when 1A football isn't very good. On a similar note, I don't think 2A is great either. I don't think Douglass (PG) should have been #1 last year in the final poll.

Dont tell Camper fans the class u play in makes a difference. Playing Dunbar 5 times, Urbana, Magruder, Linganore, Potomac, etc makes a world of difference when trying to win a title. Being in a larger class is huge. Class 1A ball isn't all of the sudden lame, it's always been 1A ball. Without Dunbar FH owns it.

Dont tell Camper fans the class u play in makes a difference. Playing Dunbar 5 times, Urbana, Magruder, Linganore, Potomac, etc makes a world of difference when trying to win a title. Being in a larger class is huge. Class 1A ball isn't all of the sudden lame, it's always been 1A ball. Without Dunbar FH owns it.
Being in a larger class isn't huge if you are a larger school playing schools in your own class - that is what FH had to do, no more and no less. Stop pretending that FH was a smaller school forced to play out of its class to win championships. Since Alco had to go through FH to win championships they, and only they, had to play up to win a championship. Getting close to the season so this crap is expected.

I'm only going to say this once, if FH fans are complaining about there schedule after winning 28 games in a row, and several state championships then they are not true fans, feel sorry for the coach geesh! . so the coach decided to reach out for a challenge, nothing wrong with that, go back after you lose and still win the championship. Feel sorry for the coach or AD that has to put up with complainers after a 28 game win streak, probably gonna be 35 before he gets beat again. If Sherando wins by less than 4 Td's consider it a victory and go back and win your 1A championship. nobody in Maryland is going to care if you lost to Sherando , or Martinsburg.

Ham, I don't think that people were really complaining about the schedule. The original poster asked why Fort Hill picked up Sherando and not Martinsburg. The funny is that yes, FH and the Dogs both had open dates this year but the open dates were on different weekends. Anyone who has been to Martinsburg knows that it's just a great place for High School Football. (But it wasn't always that way.) Between Reed and Walker the Martinsburg program has done a complete 180. I won't go into details because I'm getting off topic.
Anyway, a lot of Fort Hill fans know Martinsburg, most don't know about Sherando. (I'm one who hasn't been down there.) Win or lose, if the atmosphere is what is being projected as, it's going to be a great evening.

Don't worry too much about Todd. He is a workaholic who cares more about his kids than he does about the fans around him. Plus his shoulders are broad.

I hope you're right about winning 35, but this young team is really going to be tested early and often this year. Anyway, good luck and by all means, make yourself known down there this year, you can clue us old fat guys on where to eat etc....

Yeah, I am the original poster, and I wasn't complaining about the schedule at all. In fact, I think I even said I was looking forward to the Sherando game. My only point was that scheduling Sherando for me just kind of felt like scheduling Martinsburg, I know Martinsburg is the better program, but I view Sherando with a great deal of respect. My point was, or my question really, was did anybody else ask themselves why didn't we just schedule Martinsburg. Anyway, great discussion on this thread, which also was my hope and intention when I posted it. I trust Todd and Todd, the proof of successful scheduling is in the back to back state championship seasons and 28 game win streak.

Being in a larger class isn't huge if you are a larger school playing schools in your own class - that is what FH had to do, no more and no less. Stop pretending that FH was a smaller school forced to play out of its class to win championships. Since Alco had to go through FH to win championships they, and only they, had to play up to win a championship. Getting close to the season so this crap is expected.

Tell that to BoyznBlue please.

true. I think boonesboro can challenge but for the most part fh will reign in 1A for many years to come.

Lag, that's not what Brian was saying. His point is there is a distinct difference between classes. Maybe not the smallest in one class vs the largest of the class below it - but the talent level drops exponentially. In 1A you have FH and maybe a team or two at any given time in the top 2 or 3 that would be competitive with the top 6 or 7 in 2A who would be competitive with the top 10 or 12 in 3A...etc.

I agree too, with Brian, 1A is not suddenly lame. It's 1A. It's the same as when Allegany was winning 1A championships as to when Dunbar was winning 1A championships as to now. But even the juggernaut of Dunbar has yet to win a 2A title after jumping back up a couple years ago. Showing that parity is not, and shouldn't be, expected.

Hamspear, as others have pointed out most Fort Hill fans are not "complaining" about the schedule. The original question was not a complaint, but an observation. But I assure you most FH fans are pleased as pie on the scheduling and results we've been seeing. And while it is ridiculously early to make too much of a bold assumption, I don't think there is anyway that Sherando (if they beat FH) would do so by more than a TD or so. My opinion may very well change (in either direction) after a couple of weeks into the season. :) I'm looking forward to the return trip to Stephen's City. Been 22 years since we've been there.

Winning two state championships in Maryland class 1A is something to be very proud of , good luck and hopefully the Warriors will be able to handle Fort hill, hope they are nothing like Dinwiddie or Martinsburg

As far as the atmosphere and football environment , I will put that up against Martinsburg and the whole Northen half of Virginia any game on the schedule. If you are bringing6-7 buses, then I would expect between 4-6 thousand people. Most teams don't bring what you all say you would bring. I would say there is at least 4k to 5 home field fans at every SHS game

Boys blue, how can you say 1A fort hill doesn't play anyone competitive when they have beat everyone for 28 games straight in their classification and won two straight championships? What do you expect them to do? I personally think it is a great thing that the coach/AD scheduled out of the box this year to make his team better and will still stomp equal competition during playoff time . This whole not playing any competition talk is crazy. Who they supposed to play ? Competitive schedule? Maybe the other teams just need to step up there game.

Lag, that's not what Brian was saying. His point is there is a distinct difference between classes. Maybe not the smallest in one class vs the largest of the class below it - but the talent level drops exponentially. In 1A you have FH and maybe a team or two at any given time in the top 2 or 3 that would be competitive with the top 6 or 7 in 2A who would be competitive with the top 10 or 12 in 3A...etc.

I agree too, with Brian, 1A is not suddenly lame. It's 1A. It's the same as when Allegany was winning 1A championships as to when Dunbar was winning 1A championships as to now. But even the juggernaut of Dunbar has yet to win a 2A title after jumping back up a couple years ago. Showing that parity is not, and shouldn't be, expected.

Hamspear, as others have pointed out most Fort Hill fans are not "complaining" about the schedule. The original question was not a complaint, but an observation. But I assure you most FH fans are pleased as pie on the scheduling and results we've been seeing. And while it is ridiculously early to make too much of a bold assumption, I don't think there is anyway that Sherando (if they beat FH) would do so by more than a TD or so. My opinion may very well change (in either direction) after a couple of weeks into the season. :) I'm looking forward to the return trip to Stephen's City. Been 22 years since we've been there.

Ugh, Brian can speak for himself. He already posted a response. The implications are clear - in fact specific. Bringing up Dunbar now doesn't work because they are no longer getting the guaranteed-trophy-transfers they used to get. In fact, Douglas got its transfers last year and only a special FH team prevented their championship. Beyond that, the 'lame' terminology would never come up if FH lost or barely squeaked out a win. I guess I don't understand why some FH faithful can't look at their last two teams as special instead of looking down their noses at an entire classification of football in the state. Are some FH fans so jaded in judgment from disparaging the high school across town that they can't help but do it to every other small school in the state.

hamspear - did you see the write up for NOVA 4A? Very nice, and selected "on paper" as #1 4A in the region. Had to smile though with the comment "... after Louisa & Martinsburg the Warrior's schedule gets easier..." :) Obviously, Rob does not know of Fort Hill, as you and I. Perhaps after the Fort Hill game the Warrior's schedule gets easier, but as you know too, anyone is beatable in Virginia. Best of luck ~

Boys blue, how can you say 1A fort hill doesn't play anyone competitive when they have beat everyone for 28 games straight in their classification and won two straight championships? What do you expect them to do? I personally think it is a great thing that the coach/AD scheduled out of the box this year to make his team better and will still stomp equal competition during playoff time . This whole not playing any competition talk is crazy. Who they supposed to play ? Competitive schedule? Maybe the other teams just need to step up there game.
There's no doubt about it: FH has proven they are the best team by far in 1A for two years in a row. I was agreeing with what someone else said about a general lack of competition in 1A. I have made this same point in the past. My comment was specifically in reference to the final Maryland Media poll last year when they had FH ranked higher than three 4A schools with one loss. Because FH doesn't play a Martinsburg-type team during the regular season, and nobody they faced in the playoffs is competitive with the top schools in the state (like the Tavon era Dunbar teams), it's questionable to have FH ranked that high. Also, when people say this is the best FH team ever. That could be true, but there are probably several FH squads from the past that would have gone 28-0 against the same schedule. I actually don't have a problem with the scheduling - when you go back-to-back there's not too much to criticize.

hamspear - did you see the write up for NOVA 4A? Very nice, and selected "on paper" as #1 4A in the region. Had to smile though with the comment "... after Louisa & Martinsburg the Warrior's schedule gets easier..." :) Obviously, Rob does not know of Fort Hill, as you and I. Perhaps after the Fort Hill game the Warrior's schedule gets easier, but as you know too, anyone is beatable in Virginia. Best of luck ~

Lol, best of luck! I guess after a two year cycle will find out if the Warriors need to toughen the schedule up more.

Ugh, Brian can speak for himself. He already posted a response. The implications are clear - in fact specific. Bringing up Dunbar now doesn't work because they are no longer getting the guaranteed-trophy-transfers they used to get. In fact, Douglas got its transfers last year and only a special FH team prevented their championship. Beyond that, the 'lame' terminology would never come up if FH lost or barely squeaked out a win. I guess I don't understand why some FH faithful can't look at their last two teams as special instead of looking down their noses at an entire classification of football in the state. Are some FH fans so jaded in judgment from disparaging the high school across town that they can't help but do it to every other small school in the state.

Likewise, I don't understand your generalizations as to "some" FH fans thinking a certain way when it's ONE FH fan you are referencing. Most FH fans I know and associate with, which would exclude certain fundamentalist splinter groups like the old guard and the "we could beat anyone in 4A" crew, don't look down their noses at anyone - inasmuch as feel confident FH would win. Which they've proven the last couple years.

The funny thing is, you and I honestly agree on much more than we disagree on, we just have different ways of saying it. I say it better. ;):p

Likewise, I don't understand your generalizations as to "some" FH fans thinking a certain way when it's ONE FH fan you are referencing. Most FH fans I know and associate with, which would exclude certain fundamentalist splinter groups like the old guard and the "we could beat anyone in 4A" crew, don't look down their noses at anyone - inasmuch as feel confident FH would win. Which they've proven the last couple years.

The funny thing is, you and I honestly agree on much more than we disagree on, we just have different ways of saying it. I say it better. ;):p

Okay, I'll concede the point.... sort of, somewhat, kind of... maybe. And yes, I am familiar with the red jacketed oldsters who chase high schoolers out of the reserved seats section even though they are not the oldsters personal seats and nobody was sitting within 5 rows of the students. And those same folks show up similarly attired to Alco games and loudly cheer for whoever is playing against Allegany. I go to a FH game and cheer for FH. Somethings I don't understand. Hell, I don't understand why students don't get the best seats. But that is an issue for another day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT