ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Kirk Tourney Re-Cap

BoyznBlue

Franchise Poster
Sep 18, 2007
This was a great event, especially in it's inaugural year. Elite level basketball, a level of talent that you won't even see at the ACIT. Congratulations to Carl Watson and everyone at Bishop Walsh.

Bishop Walsh played well on all three nights, especially on Friday. We knew it would be difficult competing against nationally ranked teams, but the kids didn't back down. At this point in the season they are definitely battle tested from going against Oak Hill and other top schools earlier in the year. I didn't think Coach Prete could get the program together and playing at this level as quickly as he did.

The impact of the tournament was evident immediately because on Sunday F Olivier Robinson Nkamhoua received offers from two high D1 schools who had representatives at the games. Bishop Walsh is going to lose most of their starting line-up and scoring, but evidently they have highly ranked (Top 10 nationally) players that are calling and want to play for the Spartans next year. Bishop Walsh is also apparently getting a really talented local player (rising freshman) who was born and raised in Cumberland.

Reactions: loco09
Olivier picked up offers from Minnesota, Wake Forest, and added an offer from Illinois today. All 3 had representatives at the tournament.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
This was a great event, especially in it's inaugural year. Elite level basketball, a level of talent that you won't even see at the ACIT. Congratulations to Carl Watson and everyone at Bishop Walsh.

Bishop Walsh played well on all three nights, especially on Friday. We knew it would be difficult competing against nationally ranked teams, but the kids didn't back down. At this point in the season they are definitely battle tested from going against Oak Hill and other top schools earlier in the year. I didn't think Coach Prete could get the program together and playing at this level as quickly as he did.

The impact of the tournament was evident immediately because on Sunday F Olivier Robinson Nkamhoua received offers from two high D1 schools who had representatives at the games. Bishop Walsh is going to lose most of their starting line-up and scoring, but evidently they have highly ranked (Top 10 nationally) players that are calling and want to play for the Spartans next year. Bishop Walsh is also apparently getting a really talented local player (rising freshman) who was born and raised in Cumberland.
Is this kid a freshman now or will be a freshman.? I honestly can't think of any freshman now that could come close to playing at that level.

Isn’t the Pointguard for Walsh a sophomore, he is going be a star. When will the teams participating in the ACITs come out?

Isn’t the Pointguard for Walsh a sophomore, he is going be a star. When will the teams participating in the ACITs come out?

Yeah, the PG at BW is a sophomore. He's very good. They always wait until the last minute to release the teams. Probably because they have to wait until the catholic league season is over in DC and Baltimore. It's probably going to be: DeMatha, BW, St. Frances, MSJ, Goretti, Paul VI, Gonzaga, St, Johns

He plays for Washington Middle and he has been discussed on here before for his football talent. Great athlete, will be playing basketball at BW. It’s a positive thing so I guess we can say his name. A lot of ppl know.

Last edited:
He plays for Washington Middle and he has been discussed on here before for his football talent. Great athlete, will be playing basketball at BW. It’s a positive thing so I guess we can say his name. A lot of ppl know.
I'd heard that the Allen kid was potentially going to be headed to BW for basketball. Guess that's now come to Fruition

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Has anyone heard talk about BW bringing a football program about 2-3 years out?
I personally haven't. I'm not exactly sure how they would approach a football program either. Would it be similar to the basketball program, or just a traditional program like they used to have

Unless someone wants to write a really big check and find a bunch of players it aint happening soon. They still don't have the enrollment to do it internally, it would be very expensive to bring in an entire team and not to mention the equipment, goal posts, insurance, etc. I mean nothing is impossible but I just don't see it happening. I think they will focus on building the basketball team and launching an expanded girls basketball program in the short term.

As for the Washington Middle School kid, it's basketball season. If you had posted something 5 months ago it would have been FH. We will see what happens in due time ;)

If the young man wants to focus on one sport and never play football again, BW is the option. Personally I think he is a better football player especially given his height. With where BW is recruiting I can't see anyone from this area cracking their starting lineup the first 3 years you are there. In other words a ton of years with JV then bench time and mop up duty. That is not a knock on BW basketball but more of a compliment with the type of bball talent they are bringing in. I will be surprised if Coach Prete is still there for 4 more years. He will climb the coaching ladder as does every good coach.

I've also heard BW wants to make a move with baseball and soccer. I suspect that will be an aspect explored before football ever returns. If pigskin ever does try to return it will take another 3-4 years to re-establish.

Unless someone wants to write a really big check and find a bunch of players it aint happening soon. They still don't have the enrollment to do it internally, it would be very expensive to bring in an entire team and not to mention the equipment, goal posts, insurance, etc. I mean nothing is impossible but I just don't see it happening. I think they will focus on building the basketball team and launching an expanded girls basketball program in the short term.
BW could use basketball and soccer to help build a football program again. I know it has to be expensive as hell to do what they are currently doing with basketball. And I doubt any player that comes to BW for basketball would even think about playing football as well. Too much on the line as far as basketball goes. It would be interesting to see the financial aspect of it all.

Has anyone heard talk about BW bringing a football program about 2-3 years out?

I heard that rumor around town from people who have no connection to the program. Everyone on Haystack says this won't happen and it's not even being discussed.

As for the Washington Middle School kid, it's basketball season. If you had posted something 5 months ago it would have been FH. We will see what happens in due time ;)

If the young man wants to focus on one sport and never play football again, BW is the option. Personally I think he is a better football player especially given his height. With where BW is recruiting I can't see anyone from this area cracking their starting lineup the first 3 years you are there. In other words a ton of years with JV then bench time and mop up duty. That is not a knock on BW basketball but more of a compliment with the type of bball talent they are bringing in. I will be surprised if Coach Prete is still there for 4 more years. He will climb the coaching ladder as does every good coach.

I've also heard BW wants to make a move with baseball and soccer. I suspect that will be an aspect explored before football ever returns. If pigskin ever does try to return it will take another 3-4 years to re-establish.

If it comes down to a choice between area football and BW basketball it's a no-brainer. Look at the tournaments the BW basketball team traveled to just in this first year, with limited time to put the schedule together - and the New York trip was canceled because of bad weather. Also, with BW b-ball there is a much greater opportunity to get a college scholarship.

In terms of Coach Prete, he has evidently made a long term commitment to BW. Prete seems like a high school lifer. I'm sure he's had opportunity to coach at the college level. If he was a little younger I would agree with you.

If it comes down to a choice between area football and BW basketball it's a no-brainer. Look at the tournaments the BW basketball team traveled to just in this first year, with limited time to put the schedule together - and the New York trip was canceled because of bad weather. Also, with BW b-ball there is a much greater opportunity to get a college scholarship.

In terms of Coach Prete, he has evidently made a long term commitment to BW. Prete seems like a high school lifer. I'm sure he's had opportunity to coach at the college level. If he was a little younger I would agree with you.

Yea I pretty much agreed. Depends on whether a kid wants to be a one sport teenager. Studies show its best for your body to focus on multiple sports and I think he is better at football and has more opportunity there. He has no college football opportunity at BW and he will likely start as a freshman in hoops elsewhere. It's true local kids will struggle to see playing time at BW. if they keep pulling in this kind of talent. I've said this before but Ty Johnson and Brayden Brown may not have seen the field very much if they was at DeMatha or St. Johns. FH people don't get what I'm saying.

I don't know Coach Prete. As he said after leaving St. James, BW made me an offer I had to take. Yep thats how it works. He will get other offers.

Last edited:
Separated shoulder, probably done for the year. Injured in the Frankfort game I think. Outside chance he will be back for the ACIT.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT