ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop Walsh Football is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigdawgrefwmd

Hall of Fame Poster
Nov 20, 2004
Well sorta.....
they plan on doing the same thing with football that they have done with Basketball in Building a Powerhouse

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/KJnMCSg.jpg[/img]

I honestly didn't think it would happen but I guess why not give it a shot.

I can see BW is investing in the female sports. NOT. Good thing they dont have to follow Title IX laws.

I have been told FH and Mtn Ridge have decided not to play BW in soccer like Alco. This whole mess will only get worse.

I'd like to see them invest in the girls basketball program and I honestly thought it would be next as it would be a lot easier to get off the ground than football will be. But let's be honest football will give you a far bigger bang for your buck financially than girls basketball.

I've said how I feel about other schools dropping other sports, if BW gave them an ultimatum of play us in hoops or we won't play you than shame on them, if the public schools got their feelings hurt by losing one game last year and this is their response then shame on them. At the end of the day everyone will be fine but it's just stupid

That being said, I think it has the potential to be really cool, play on Saturdays same as they always have, seeing what kind of talent, staff, schedule they would put together would be very interesting.

I imagine they'd play at the stadium if it really took off. The facilities at the school arent going to bring anyone in. Would bring more money to the stadium as well.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
It's the recruiting of local kids that puts the wrench in the whole BW thing. If this came to fruition for football FH will be ok. Take a couple of players from Alco or Mtn Ridge and they will not be able to field a team. Although it would be hilarious to see a few Frankfort kids bolt for BW then watch the Falcons sing. Such small numbers anymore.

I'd guess either Greenway or Bobcat Stadium, they could make BWs stadium useable but it would be cheaper to use another facility.

If they want an elite program, similar to the basketball program, taking local kids won't really be a problem as the talent would be above that level with the exception of the once a decade talents.

Football they will have many more players than basketball, the standout players will probably want to play there. Not many but there are 1 or 2 each year. Take the two best players from FH, it will even out the field with Alco

If they decide to move forward they would have a full year basically to get things together. It's exciting but there's a ton of questions to be answered first

If they got a coach in place by say this fall and figured out exactly how they want to approach it they could be ready for next season, 2020. But there is a lot of work to do

2021 would probably be more realistic, it just depends on how much leg work has already been done, if any

Reactions: OneRing
It doesn't take that long to ramp up a football program if you're willing to pay. They could honestly probably make a go of it in 2019 if they had the money. They could definitely pull a schedule together and get a ton of transfers.

I'm not sure they understand the money it takes to run a national level football program. IMG has a billion dollar business giant backing it. Saint Frances has Biff Poggi who with his wife is worth in the tens of millions at least. Eastern Christian had a millionaire in David Sills funding it and still failed after a few years. There's a reason there are a billion basketball academies that have been around for decades and only really two national football programs that have only been around for a few years. They better be ready to spend millions per season on scholarships, housing, coaches and travel if they truly want to do in football what they're doing in hoops. One trip down south will cost you six figures easy. Also, no tournaments in football. It's not like you can pay to go to one location and get 3 or 4 games in one trip. Every road trip is its own separate deal.

The only way this makes sense is if adding football is a ploy to try to get an all sports invite to the MIAA or WCAC to try to alleviate scheduling problems in hoops and other sports. Those two leagues are both desperate for new football programs but are full in the other sports and would only consider expansion if it brought in a new football team. The way the announcement is worded makes me think it's more likely a ploy to the WCAC which is much more about transfers and national recruits than the MIAA. Saint John's (DC) starting QB moved from Hawaii to play for them so they wouldn't have problems with Bishop Walsh doing something similar. A move to the WCAC would give them guaranteed games against high level local competition every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: loco09
We already had this discussion on another thread. If BW was satisfied with recruiting and pulling in kids from outside this area, paying for their room and board and tuition, I think most public school admins would have been OK with it. Once you recruit and take a couple of the best local players there isn't a school in 60 miles that won't have a massive issue. loco09 can say well it only happens once in a decade. Well, it has already happened the first year with no need to mention names. The reply can be it doesn't matter, but that is the TOP reason you are seeing fall out for the county teams all dropping BW. Unfortunately, everyone is looking out for their own school with total disregard for how it affects kids at the other schools. BW is guilty of it, the public schools are guilty of it. That is where we are as I mention this for like the tenth time.

I know all the admins we speak of and I can say with 100% certainty they are extremely concerned and unhappy right now with BW because most of their sports programs are dealing with a massive decline in participation numbers due to size and whatever other reason. This is not 30-40 years ago. That is the TOP reason BW was not asked to join the new Western Maryland Sports League. There isn't a one of these coaches or admins that doesn't cringe at the thought of losing their top player or two regardless of the sport. Based on personal conversations with those people it won't surprise me if BW is wiped clean off every sport schedule in an effort to fight for athletic survival in this small community. They cannot stop BW from recruiting local kids, but they can refuse to compete against BW. And that's what is happening.

It's the recruiting of local kids that puts the wrench in the whole BW thing. If this came to fruition for football FH will be ok. Take a couple of players from Alco or Mtn Ridge and they will not be able to field a team. Although it would be hilarious to see a few Frankfort kids bolt for BW then watch the Falcons sing. Such small numbers anymore.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in regards to "seeing a few Frankfort players bolt and then watch the Falcons sing" but that has already occurred in some fashion.

Several years ago the Robinette family moved to play for Alco and three potential Falcons left during their middle school years and ended up having great careers as Sentinels. Those things happen in this day of course.

At the time many of the Falcon faithful called it a "death sentence" to the future of the program. However, the players and Coach Whiteman saw it as a challenge to move forward and ended up with a playoff team in 2013 and a state final team in 2014 despite the abscence of some of those players who moved.

I'm not sure what BW is planning to do but I do remember the days when they had a very competitive football program. Unfortunately as the factories closed and job opportunities dwindled so did their enrollment and football program.

If the program gets off the ground I hope it builds into something successful, Im biased as I went to BW and I want it to succeed. I see the potential to bring in more kids, more money, more positive attention, all that helps support and enhance the academics, the maker space, the AP courses, the extra curriculars that benefit all students. I understand the fear of schools losing a kid or two, but that's always been a possibility, it's only a problem now because they think BW will be good and attractive. I don't know if BW went after the local player or if the family made the initial interest but there have always been transfers especially between middle and high school and between all schools both public and private, I hope BW and the area schools can continue to have some sort of decent working relationship but if not BW will just have to find games a little further away and so be it I guess.

I don't think BW would go full on IMG or St. Frances but I could see a solid MIAA-A or WCAC level squad. If they can get a good staff with a good schedule it makes the mountains away from the big cities very appealing

I don't think the 76 team was great, the 78 team won the city championship, Allegany won the state title that year.

I say... stop pretending. I'll buy the first shirt. Go big.... Ugh, well whatever. I think the Vegas odds are 2000 to 1 that Appel ain't part of the program. Perhaps he is on a sabbatical where he publicly reads all the grades of his 3A bench..... Ugh. wait.... It will magically disappear.

Last edited:
We already had this discussion on another thread. If BW was satisfied with recruiting and pulling in kids from outside this area, paying for their room and board and tuition, I think most public school admins would have been OK with it. Once you recruit and take a couple of the best local players there isn't a school in 60 miles that won't have a massive issue. loco09 can say well it only happens once in a decade. Well, it has already happened the first year with no need to mention names. The reply can be it doesn't matter, but that is the TOP reason you are seeing fall out for the county teams all dropping BW. Unfortunately, everyone is looking out for their own school with total disregard for how it affects kids at the other schools. BW is guilty of it, the public schools are guilty of it. That is where we are as I mention this for like the tenth time.

I know all the admins we speak of and I can say with 100% certainty they are extremely concerned and unhappy right now with BW because most of their sports programs are dealing with a massive decline in participation numbers due to size and whatever other reason. This is not 30-40 years ago. That is the TOP reason BW was not asked to join the new Western Maryland Sports League. There isn't a one of these coaches or admins that doesn't cringe at the thought of losing their top player or two regardless of the sport. Based on personal conversations with those people it won't surprise me if BW is wiped clean off every sport schedule in an effort to fight for athletic survival in this small community. They cannot stop BW from recruiting local kids, but they can refuse to compete against BW. And that's what is happening.

I thought it was all about the kids.... scholarships and all. Let's celebrate opportunity!!!!

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I hope that BW football does come to fruition. At least there would be another Cumberland football team that could actually give Fort Hill football a challenging game.

I hope that BW football does come to fruition. At least there would be another Cumberland football team that could actually give Fort Hill football a challenging game.

If Walsh starts a football program with an antithetical coach to Appel the FH program would disintegrate overnight.

If the FH program would disintegrate what the hell would you do with yourself? Fort Hill football is more important to you than the oxygen you breathe.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
If Walsh starts a football program with an antithetical coach to Appel the FH program would disintegrate overnight.
Lag mad his team sucks. Won't be but 3 more years before it all disintegrates for the Campers. Numbers dont lie.

Lag mad his team sucks. Won't be but 3 more years before it all disintegrates for the Campers. Numbers dont lie.

It took Cumberland shrinking to nothingness before FH started beating Allegany.

When I go to a game...I enjoy watching the band before watching the football team kick the shit out of a hand-picked patsy.

It took Cumberland shrinking to nothingness before FH started beating Allegany.

Is that why the series between the two is so one sided?

Every thread I read Lag is crying about Coach Appel. This is a BW thread dude. Why don't you cry about having a running clock stuck on Alco every Homecoming now. Even when your hero The Mighty Karson had 30 yards rushing before FH with a running clock put their mighty 2nd and 3rd teamers in that you rave about so he could get his 100 yards. Or you can just disappear like you did that year until the minute somebody else beats FH.

If your going to dog someone personally, a coach who has won 6 state titles and more coach of the year honors than anyone from these parts must be doing something right. It's not all about his 2nd and 3rd team depth.

It doesn't take that long to ramp up a football program if you're willing to pay. They could honestly probably make a go of it in 2019 if they had the money. They could definitely pull a schedule together and get a ton of transfers.

I'm not sure they understand the money it takes to run a national level football program. IMG has a billion dollar business giant backing it. Saint Frances has Biff Poggi who with his wife is worth in the tens of millions at least. Eastern Christian had a millionaire in David Sills funding it and still failed after a few years. There's a reason there are a billion basketball academies that have been around for decades and only really two national football programs that have only been around for a few years. They better be ready to spend millions per season on scholarships, housing, coaches and travel if they truly want to do in football what they're doing in hoops. One trip down south will cost you six figures easy. Also, no tournaments in football. It's not like you can pay to go to one location and get 3 or 4 games in one trip. Every road trip is its own separate deal.

The only way this makes sense is if adding football is a ploy to try to get an all sports invite to the MIAA or WCAC to try to alleviate scheduling problems in hoops and other sports. Those two leagues are both desperate for new football programs but are full in the other sports and would only consider expansion if it brought in a new football team. The way the announcement is worded makes me think it's more likely a ploy to the WCAC which is much more about transfers and national recruits than the MIAA. Saint John's (DC) starting QB moved from Hawaii to play for them so they wouldn't have problems with Bishop Walsh doing something similar. A move to the WCAC would give them guaranteed games against high level local competition every year.

I agree. They could have a team on the FH/Alco level by Fall 2020 and could be on the next level by Fall 2021. If they hire the right coach - like they did with b-ball - the coach can bring 12-15 guys with him. And they can get 15 more kids from the area. Imagine a BW vs. DeMatha home and home series, even if they get beat bad the first year, it's going to attract kids who want to play against the best competition. BW football could be on ESPN within 3 years.

I doubted they could do it in basketball as quickly as they did so I'm not doubting any more. And I do understand that it's more difficult to assemble a football program from scratch, but it's not like rocket science.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT