ADVERTISEMENT

Allegany County Football

ravemwp

All State Poster
Jul 29, 2022
I believe most people on here agree that MR and FH are the two best, and most talented teams in the 1A state playoffs. Many believe on a collision course for the 1A state championship. Just an open reminder to both. On any given Friday night a healthy Allegany team can have either one, or both of you waking up on a Saturday morning asking yourself "what the hell just happened." Stay focused young men. One game at a time. Very proud of the community support of county football. Best of luck to all involved.

Last edited:
I believe most people on here agree that MR and FH are the two best, and most talented teams in the 1A state playoffs. Many believe on a collision course for the 1A state championship. Just an open reminder to both. On any given Friday night a healthy Allegany team can have either one, or both of you waking up on a Saturday morning asking yourself "what the hell just happened." Stay focused young men. One game at a time. Very proud of the community support of county football. Best of luck to all involved.

Trying to help out your conversion rate here, rave.

FH and Ridge are definitely the best in the area until Allegany beats either one of them, which I still don't see us being able to do quite yet. It would take either of the former to play a pretty sloppy game and Alco to play very well to and catch a break or two in order to beat FH or Ridge.

What's really good to see from a non-haters perspective is Alco starting to play better last year and this year. I mean we haven't beaten FH in like 15 years. At some point, that has to get old even for FH fans who are very emotionally involved.

If all three area teams got back to playing each other competitively, that would be great for everyone. Ridge has been really impressive with Sefa running things and not using the wishbone anymore. FH has been a very good program for a while now all the way down to their feeder programs, which is a big asset because it's just more important to those kids and they buy in early.

My friend told me that a lot of the best athletes in Alco territory intentionally play soccer over football, which isn't bad, but it's surprising. Does anyone know if that's been the case?

Also, you can't ignore the coaching. I've thought for years that a big problem at Alco was not Bryan Hansel, but his lack of assistants. The Times-News preview I read back in the Summer had some things in it that even I know aren't accurate, but it was great to see that Aaron Kline and Jeff Link are now on staff. Those are two really good guys to have around the kids if you want to keep building the program. FH has had quality assistants on their staff for years and it's proven to be an asset.

FH and Ridge are definitely the best in the area until Allegany beats either one of them, which I still don't see us being able to do quite yet. It would take either of the former to play a pretty sloppy game and Alco to play very well to and catch a break or two in order to beat FH or Ridge.

What's really good to see from a non-haters perspective is Alco starting to play better last year and this year. I mean we haven't beaten FH in like 15 years. At some point, that has to get old even for FH fans who are very emotionally involved.

If all three area teams got back to playing each other competitively, that would be great for everyone. Ridge has been really impressive with Sefa running things and not using the wishbone anymore. FH has been a very good program for a while now all the way down to their feeder programs, which is a big asset because it's just more important to those kids and they buy in early.

My friend told me that a lot of the best athletes in Alco territory intentionally play soccer over football, which isn't bad, but it's surprising. Does anyone know if that's been the case?

Also, you can't ignore the coaching. I've thought for years that a big problem at Alco was not Bryan Hansel, but his lack of assistants. The Times-News preview I read back in the Summer had some things in it that even I know aren't accurate, but it was great to see that Aaron Kline and Jeff Link are now on staff. Those are two really good guys to have around the kids if you want to keep building the program. FH has had quality assistants on their staff for years and it's proven to be an asset.

I am a bit older and I could give numerous examples over the years that would point to a program being great because of the coaches that are involved in it. Fort Hill has a fantastic tradition and a great feeder program as you mentioned. Maybe the biggest advantage of all is that the schools best athletes all play football..
As dominating as Fort Hill has always been they did not win many state championships until coach Apple arrived. When I go to watch a Fort Hill game I would always stand up at the fence on the visitor side. As soon as the opposing team would line up on offfence he would start screaming downstairs what play they were going to run and I got to tell you he was damn near always right.
I have no doubt that Fort Hill will continue to be very good. The question is will they be great?

Just a friendly reminder for these teams not to look ahead. Play it one game at a time, keeping your eye on the prize, and enjoying the journey.

Just a friendly reminder for these teams not to look ahead. Play it one game at a time, keeping your eye on the prize, and enjoying the journey.
This Public Service Announcement brought to you by the Get A Life Foundation. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I am a bit older and I could give numerous examples over the years that would point to a program being great because of the coaches that are involved in it. Fort Hill has a fantastic tradition and a great feeder program as you mentioned. Maybe the biggest advantage of all is that the schools best athletes all play football..
As dominating as Fort Hill has always been they did not win many state championships until coach Apple arrived. When I go to watch a Fort Hill game I would always stand up at the fence on the visitor side. As soon as the opposing team would line up on offfence he would start screaming downstairs what play they were going to run and I got to tell you he was damn near always right.
I have no doubt that Fort Hill will continue to be very good. The question is will they be great?

All good points. I don't know if this is a factor, but I mentioned it last year at some point too: the ratio of coaches at FH, Alco and Ridge who are and aren't county educators is an interesting stat to me. My guess is FH has the most coaches on staff who are at least teachers in the county system if not actually at the school, and Alco probably has the least amount. I don't know if that has any relevance, but you could probably draw one or two interesting things from it.

I always wondered why FH didn't win more state titles too, especially in the 90s when they were very dominant. Being in 2A didn't help because there were a lot of good 2A teams in the 90s, and FH had really good coaches, so I'm curious on your thoughts here: my only guess is, did the Wing-T actually hurt them once they got to the playoffs?

Also, Zack and his staff are probably still working to find their identity through the transition a little bit. They have a good, young staff that seems really engaged. Seems like a different strategy overall from Todd, but it should be a good run.

Yeah, I'll hurry to take advice from a loser on a message board 😅😂🤣

Yay. That troll again. Note to self. Never argue with an idiot. 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: Argox66
Jesus, will somebody get this guy a friend who isn't a computer screen? He does know the lockdowns are over right?

I'd say get him a dog, but shit... I'd be afraid of what he might do to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT