ADVERTISEMENT

Allegany athletic field upgrades?

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
When they built the new Allegany HS up on Haystack Mountain they should have put bleachers and lights on their athletic fields. Guess that was not in the "budget" at the time. It appears now with a simple $180K grant they are going to install those things. Where the other part of the funding comes from I have yet to discover. I applaud this because it was a complete waste of athletic fields not to have at least bleachers for people to sit. From what I can tell, the actual main field and track are really nice. Just no where to sit or host games so they only get used for practice. If anything, the load on Greenway Ave Stadium turf needs relief. There is no reason Allegany and Braddock students can't call their field on Haystack home. Fix it. Cumberland is in desperate need for ball fields. Trust me on this.

It was the same when the BOE built the Allegany field house at Greenway. The price tag was steep for a rather simple cinder block building (typical BOE protocol) but they failed to put in lockers and showers. Oh, the plumbing was put in place for showers - go figure. I could explain why but it doesn't solve issues and only makes higher ups irritated for being called out on failing to do their jobs helping students.

FYI, the lighting at Greenway has been officially measured and it failed massively. If you ever notice at ball games the lights are not so bright. Well the end zones where the new 8 lane track was laid is not lighted enough to hold state events. So building the new track was a waste of time until they install proper lighting.

On that note, there are no loud speakers on the Greenway Ave visitors side this fall. They are paid for through private funding and Commerical Sound in Frostburg has the contract to install...but the BOE is in a holding pattern still. More to come.

If you work for the BOE on Washington Street, you may want to avoid this thread. I speak for an unusually high number of people involved on different levels that are extremely frustrated. Yes, everyone is happy for the new track and visitor bleachers at Greenway, but it sure wasn't handled well and still is not. On top of that, we can look forward to new closed door discussions on how the misappropriation of funding is being applied.

Unfortunately it seems I am one of the few who continues to live by my college bumper sticker with the will to do so publicly...QUESTION AUTHORITY.

Last edited:
Comes down to the fact that the decision makers are either inept or don’t really care that much. Who builds a stadium without bleachers? That would be like building a hospital without beds. We need the right folks at the board. Some are, some aren’t right for the job. Two things that make for a productive child…1 the child has to feels safe and 2 the child has to stay busy. And sports and band etc…. Keep this community’s children busy. Having good facilities is necessary to do that. That’s why I’m running for the board of education next election cycle. I want to be a voice for our youth to be safe and secure in schools so they can focus on education and improve on the participation in extra curricular activities so they can excel socially. These two things are a must. So, remember me next time…. Eric Beal for BOE.

From the day they finished the field and track at allegany it never made sense why they couldn't at least host soccer games there, I understand football staying at Greenway but middle and high school soccer games could easily be played there with minimal investment.

Reactions: ravemwp
From the day they finished the field and track at allegany it never made sense why they couldn't at least host soccer games there, I understand football staying at Greenway but middle and high school soccer games could easily be played there with minimal investment.
As I said in the original post...why build a nice field with no lights or bleachers? Why build a field house with no showers or lockers? Why build a new Greenway Ave Track with no lights to use it?

I'm doing my own research which is ongoing. They can call it grant money but it's still coming from tax paying citizens.

So if the city tells me they are putting in bleachers and lights but are not going to use the field, then why are they putting in bleachers and lights? If I had my d'rothers, they put all that in at the Alco field and not only does the high school use the facility but so does Braddock and youth soccer/football teams like the Hunters.

WOW!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT