ADVERTISEMENT

Allegany and Fort Hill need 8 games in 2015

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Allegany needs 4 games
Fort Hill needs 4 games

When I speak with other Athletic Directors around the state they say "Are you kidding me, gasp!"

No, we don't have a scheduling problem...
Good Luck!

This post was edited on 11/10 2:31 PM by TDHelmick

Take down the homecoming vid before anymore people see it. That ain't what you would call normal 1A football.

Where is our pro's that say how shatty of a job you do and schedule cupcakes? They have all the answers any other time.

Originally posted by FortHillFan89:
Where is our pro's that say how shatty of a job you do and schedule cupcakes? They have all the answers any other time.
I can be just as guilty, but pretty much if there isn't anything to complain about there isn't anything to post about. In our daily lives do we walk around trying to find a reason to compliment each other?

That was 'do' we walk around.

This post was edited on 11/10 3:42 PM by Lagmeister

Things will work out my friend. People need to relax a little and things will be ok. This year EVERYONE seems to go zero to sixty about topics and I'm guilty as the next.

Things will work out my friend. People need to relax a little and things will be ok. This year EVERYONE seems to go zero to sixty about topics and I'm guilty as the next.
A very long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...I used to have a bumper sticker on my car back when I was in college that said QUESTION AUTHORITY. While some folks may look at that expression and equate it to a person who is a complainer, a radical rebel or a boat rocker, I see the opposite. Authority should always be questioned and authority should not mind being questioned.

I don't know. Somewhere back there was a river. It was either the Styx or the Rubicon.

Also keep in mind one of the biggest hurdles we are dealing with is money. People try to say that Fort Hill will never play an away game, they always want home games. That's far from the truth. It's more like FH definitely wants a home-and-home deal or they will pay for that team to come here one time. The problem is that no opponent wants a home-and-home deal. To them it costs too much to drive here compared to the gate money they will get from the return game. Most teams don't get the type of gate Cumberland schools do obviously.

As an example, for years we have tried to piece together a Fort Hill vs. Dunbar Poets regular season game. Coaches on both sides are all for it. However, Baltimore City isn't going to allow one of their teams to travel this far without financial compensation since they have plenty of games to play in their own back yard. And as I have always said, who can blame them? That's an intelligent decision when budgeting is an issue. Most counties like PG County also apply the same principle.

Of course FH will travel. In fact, we begged Kent Island to do a two year home-and-home deal. But for reasons out of everyone's control it could not be worked out. People just assume FH bought out a home game which is far removed from the truth. At the same time, FH is not going to pay for a team to come here, then return the game and travel there on their own dime. That's also financial stupidity. Although thinking outside the box, I have said go ahead and make that type of deal with Dunbar assuming we can pack Greenway and make the money back. But packing the stadium is no guarantee anymore either based on many factors including a shrinking population. The gate money a'int what she used to be.

What does Fort Hill and Alco's schedule look like now? Who's staying and who's not? And what schools did you contact?

This post was edited on 11/10 8:41 PM by GREEN75

Get Frankfort... This area needs all the local rivalries reignited!!!!

I would have loved to see a FH & Frankfort game this past year! I hope Frankfort keeps doing what they are doing!!! Any more D1 QB's in Short Gap?
This post was edited on 11/10 9:26 PM by GenSneaky

Would be nice for both teams to play Central or Ligonier Valley. Those 2 short trips along with Chestnut Ridge were nice matchups.

Week 7 will be a difficult find because FH has agreed to a two year contract with Chestnut Ridge for 2016 and 2017 for that Week. Which means whoever fills that Week 7 slot in 2015 can only have a one year deal.

FH has lost North Hagerstown, Walter Johnson, Southern and Kent Island from the 2014 schedule.

Sherando in week 8 is a nice addition to the schedule! Lots of nice match-ups in the Winchester area...if they were willing. Bridgeport, RCB or University would be great too. Sad more like-sized school can't or won't sign on. The MVAL would be the answer for FH & Alco both, but again,,,same ole answer....Don't want to cuz they don't need to....

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney has three open dates for 2015 football: Week 1 Aug 28, Week 3 Sept. 8, Week 7 Oct. 9 Contact Athletic Director Don Bucci at 330-788-9879.

I think they are similar in size to Sherando and believe they are in the same classification. Lake Taylor has open dates for 2015 and 2016.. Says they'll play "away" either year and their schedule is flexible with dates..
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Lake Taylor HS - two games needed, can play home or away either year, schedule flexible with
dates starting Sept. 4 - contact: Bobby Pannenbacker, 757-685-3888, rpannenb@nps.k12.va.us
(posted 10-28-14)

This post was edited on 11/11 4:20 AM by bigsavage

Aurora OH (A in 15, H in 16) just 38 miles longer than Kent Island in the opposite direction 925 students...
This post was edited on 11/11 4:58 AM by bigsavage

Originally posted by bigsavage:
Youngstown Cardinal Mooney has three open dates for 2015 football: Week 1 Aug 28, Week 3 Sept. 8, Week 7 Oct. 9 Contact Athletic Director Don Bucci at 330-788-9879.
For real? We may as well just give DeMatha and Good Counsel a call.

I'll be honest, I'm having somewhat mixed emotions about the whole Southern dropping Fort Hill thing.

As for this year's game, I understand that from a human perspective Fort Hill did the right thing by calling off all the dogs and not embarrassing the young Southern kids. That being said, though we got a nice little letter to the editor about our sportsmanship, we've been ultimately rewarded with having Southern drop us. I know they're trying to rebuild a program but thanks alot. I have always viewed Southern differently because they never dodged anyone and hung in there through thick and thin. Well. those days are over. They're no different than anyone else now. They just won a CAYFL championship with their 8th graders, so that, coupled with the Home Schools and Private Christian Academies from all over the Eastern Seaboard they'll be playing on their downgraded schedule (Hancock Style), means that between them and Northern they'll probably bump Fort Hill out of the playoffs in the next couple years as Fort Hill upgrades to Cardinal Mooney, Good Counsel, Dematha, Martinsburg and lord know who else. SMH

Of course Todd you know I'm obligated to point out that there is always room on Paw Paw's schedule for Fort Hill and Allegany, in fact, Athletic DIrector Delmer Delawder has said he's willing to play them back to back on the same day, one after the other.

Polk

One of the reasons I suggested playing Mooney was because of this statement by the original poster.

"When I speak with other Athletic Directors around the state they say "Are you kidding me, gasp!"

I took that to mean teams around the state are afraid to play Fort Hill, so when I conducted my search I looked for teams that possibly wouldn't "gasp" at the thought of playing Fort Hill, Cardinal Mooney being one of them.. We can expect teams like Maths, Silver Oak, Northern and cry about Hancock not being made to play Fort Hill but lets not possibly hint at FH stepping up its competition?

Also I believe Boardman, Buchtel, Austintown-Fitch, and Woodridge are all public schools that appear on Cardinal Mooney's schedule. I believe Buchtel and Woodbridge are similar size to FH. Maybe they could give DeMatha and Good Counsel a call too. Keep with the small town "we can't keep because we're too small" mentality. Oh what was I thinking?? I should have been looking for games that Fort Hill knows they can win since that's all they seem schedule these days... SMH

This post was edited on 11/11 9:38 AM by bigsavage

btw Austintown-Fitch is also looking for games in 2015-2016. Looks like they might be slightly larger than Sherando. So you may have an excuse not to play them....
This post was edited on 11/11 9:22 AM by bigsavage

I think you maybe spinning it a little bit. I think what Todd meant was they had to fill 4 games. Nice try.

Originally posted by forthill#1:
I think you maybe spinning it a little bit. I think what Todd meant was they had to fill 4 games. Nice try.
That's exactly how I took it too.......the prospect of filling 4 games being the gasp-worthy part.

Forthill#1

I'm not trying anything. That's what I took it to mean. Are you saying the Athletic directors around the state are gasping at the fact that FH has to fill 4 games? If so my apologizes to the original poster for the misunderstanding.. But that's how I read it.
This post was edited on 11/11 10:02 AM by bigsavage

Originally posted by bigsavage:
Forthill#1

I'm not trying anything. That's what I took it to mean. Are you saying the Athletic directors around the state are gasping at the fact that FH has to fill 4 games? If so my apologizes to the original poster for the misunderstanding.. But that's how I read it.
This post was edited on 11/11 10:02 AM by bigsavage
My fault. I should have rephrased that better. I meant athletic directors are gasping because they realize finding 4-5 games every year when you are not in a league is a nightmare. Not because they are fearful of playing Cumberland schools. Most ADs have to find one, maybe two games a year and they think that chore can be difficult. Basically, other ADs do understand our plight.

Lake Taylor is in Norfolk. That is a 5 hour drive.

Rest assured, everyone peruses the open dates boards on almost a daily basis. Teams within a reasonable distance have been contacted.

The reason why I posted Lake Taylor is because it says "can play home or AWAY either year" Are they unwilling to travel to Cumberland? How about Aurora OH around 900 students Ohio Playoff team and just 38 miles longer than if you would travel to Kent Island. Or Austintown Fitch OH similar in size to Sherando and same distance as Kent Island 169 mile????
This post was edited on 11/11 1:38 PM by bigsavage

big savage,

Just as FH ran from Martinsburg and destroyed the CVAL, many teams in the area will not play FH because of the potential loss. I have been rubbing South Hagerstown administrators for a couple of years now. They played Urbana in recent years and I joked with them that they could play Urbana yet could can't find a non-conference opening for FH. One administrator asked me if I was was "nuts" and then stated, "We are not ready or on FH's level to play them yet

He said maybe in a few years but now that they went 10-0 with their schedule of schools all of 1A and 2A classification and making the 3A playoffs don't look for them to ever want to play 1A FH. They are a 3A school of 1400 kids and scared to play FH. At least they can admit, I give them that.

FH ran from Martinsburg because it was time. An 850 student school can only expect to be competitive with a 1500 student school for so long. Who cares about the CVAL anyway...North High, South High and Alco left the CVAL before Fort Hill...but lets just blame it all on FH.

Too bad we cant load up on those DC public schools anymore. Those were the tough games. ;)

This post was edited on 11/11 4:27 PM by FHHSAHS

Fhhahs, dont even know why you get in the schedule argument AGAIN when ppl mention Martinsburg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT