ADVERTISEMENT

Alco / Southern

I agree with Beall02.. the only way this is not a close game is if Southern makes too many mental errors or turns the ball over. They have the size and talent up front to match up with Alco. They also have some quality backs with some speed. Their starters on defense have given up less than 30 points all year through 8 games. As with most high school teams, both these defenses struggle with pass defense but are strong against the run. This usually leads to a lower scoring close game. I'm going to offer the upset shocker of Southern over Alco 22-20 with a rematch in two weeks in Oakland.

ALCO wins easy 42-21, but like most I would love to see a good game. I just think ALCO is gonna come out and make a statement

Reactions: camper21502
56-8. Allegany will put a physical butt kicking on Southern. Enough of a butt kicking, Northern can beat Southern next week. Not seeing much of a challenge for Allegany.

I have Alco by 2 scores.. A closer game than most ppl have it with the campers pulling away at the end...

Just curious if anyone who offered a score has watched Southern play a game this year or if the scores are just based on past experience. I know Beall02 mentioned in another thread that he saw them scrimmage Mt Ridge. Not saying some of these scores couldn't end up being correct, but for money316 to say 56-8 makes me think he hasn't seen them play a snap. I've seen them both play and think it should be close. That is, as long as they don't roll out the FH/MCC refs..lol

Just curious if anyone who offered a score has watched Southern play a game this year or if the scores are just based on past experience. I know Beall02 mentioned in another thread that he saw them scrimmage Mt Ridge. Not saying some of these scores couldn't end up being correct, but for money316 to say 56-8 makes me think he hasn't seen them play a snap. I've seen them both play and think it should be close. That is, as long as they don't roll out the FH/MCC refs..lol
I think that Allegany has improved so much over the past 3 to 4 weeks that it is going to be hard for Southern to pull off the upset. If the game was 4 weeks ago I think Southern had a better chance. The one thing that Southern has going for them is size. They are big on both lines. Their offense has looked very good this year in most games. And the defense has played tough also. I still see a 10 to 14 point win for Alco as long as they don't help Southern with turnovers, bad penalties, etc. Southern would have to play a flawless game and Alco would have to give them at least one turnover for the Rams to win. I think it stays close early and Alco pulls away late or Allegany blows them out in the first half. I would be a little worried if I was an Alco fan just because of how their defense has looked this year. Especially against good offenses.

BTW, good shout out Redwhite90, I think a lot of people are going off of past games and maybe a little bit of the scores of games this year.

Robinette will be dragging Rams all over the field. Game will be decided at the half. By the way..which great teams has the Rams played this year.

I think that Allegany has improved so much over the past 3 to 4 weeks that it is going to be hard for Southern to pull off the upset. If the game was 4 weeks ago I think Southern had a better chance. The one thing that Southern has going for them is size. They are big on both lines. Their offense has looked very good this year in most games. And the defense has played tough also. I still see a 10 to 14 point win for Alco as long as they don't help Southern with turnovers, bad penalties, etc. Southern would have to play a flawless game and Alco would have to give them at least one turnover for the Rams to win. I think it stays close early and Alco pulls away late or Allegany blows them out in the first half. I would be a little worried if I was an Alco fan just because of how their defense has looked this year. Especially against good offenses.

BTW, good shout out Redwhite90, I think a lot of people are going off of past games and maybe a little bit of the scores of games this year.
Good point Beall02... I do believe ALCO has improved each week like they usually do.
I think the biggest thing that separates these two teams is depth. 1-11 they are very comparable other than #95 is a manimal running the ball. I like the way Alco can and does rotate players along the line and on defense throughout the game. That could be a big separator in the fourth quarter and benefit Alco. Still stick with my original upset pick just to stir the pot a bit.... this thread is what this board should be all about. No personal attacks .. just a good discussion of area football.

Correct, haven't seen Southern play. I'll bet ya piece of stadium pizza my score will be close...lol. I do see a blowout but thats why they play the game.

Just throwing my hat in the ring here, too.. Alco 42 - Southern 20. Obviously Alco's D will be tested (again) here so it'll be interesting to see how they look and if they've gotten any better. They're their own Achilles heel.

What's intriguing about this game and very impressive overall is the turnaround that Southern's program has experienced in the past four years. They had a big fall-off for years, going from a very tough team annually to almost discontinuing the program. Now they're fighting for a playoff spot in a division where the top two programs are almost guaranteed a spot every year.

Very impressive. Kudos to the men leading the program who got the kids to buy in and rebuild it from the ground up.

Reactions: Redwhite90
Robinette will be dragging Rams all over the field. Game will be decided at the half. By the way..which great teams has the Rams played this year.
No GREAT teams I would say, as FH really only holds that distinction in 1A west right now. But their only loss came to an East Hardy team currently ranked 1 or 2 in WVA single A. Their team pretty similar to Chestnut Ridge in the way they like to throw the ball around the field. They also beat Catoctin on the road by shutting them out. Alco beat Dunbar and Williamsport which was certainly impressive but gave up a lot of points as well as both were in the friendly confines of Greenway. I'd like Southern's chances a lot better if in Oakland, but it is what it is.

I think you need to take a peek at the week 8 point totals for 1a west.
I'm not sure what would constitute fh being a great team at this point. the program may be great, the last 4 years may be great, but this year has yet to be determined.

Southern's 7 defeated opponents have only won just a hair over 2 games apiece on average. The Southern schedule is appropriate for a program at the end of a rebuilding cycle, but I'm not sure they're ready for what Big Blue is cooking.

I'm not sure what would constitute fh being a great team at this point. the program may be great, the last 4 years may be great, but this year has yet to be determined.
I hadn't looked at the new rankings yet but they are not a real surprise nor do they change my opinion. It was based on what I see not some point rankings. Just because FH lost last week does not make them any less of a team. In the end, it comes down to the last team standing , and I feel like they will be right up there just because of their talent level. A week ago, most everyone here was on a MCC post-game high and were predicting a FH victory which I presume had to do with their record and the fact that no one here had actually seen them play on the field. I trust what I see much more than comparing records and MaxPreps stats or State Rankings.. Too many variables are involved with those.

Southern has played such a week schedule. They did schedule Catoctin, but I think they are down this year

Southern has played such a week schedule. They did schedule Catoctin, but I think they are down this year
Well, I understand what you are intending to say , but they can only play who was scheduled. As far as Catoctin being down this year, they are currently #4 in 1A west so not sure how much higher you expected them to be at this point. Win or lose, just excited to watch them play a good area team as opposed to some of the blowouts in recent weeks.

What I was trying to say is it is hard to tell how good Southern is because of the competition they have faced. This week we will see if they are for real or not. It is good they scheduled Catoctin, just happens Catoctin isnt real strong this year.

Of course I am bias here on this one, I think Southern can win, but must play the perfect game as mentioned above. Turnovers and penalties plagued them against East Hardy, but it was a game they could have won. Yes, the competition hasn't been the greatest so far, but also mentioned above, this is exactly what the team needs to help rebuild the program. The coaching staff and the committed 11 seniors that toughed it out from only having 16 guys on the roster to over 60 on the roster are to be commended, no matter the outcome of Friday nights game, a great turn-around. It is amazing what can happen when you get the community behind you, it ignites the kids, and gets them excited to play the game we all love! I agree as well, it is nice to see a post finally talking about football and having a good discussion!

Correct, haven't seen Southern play. I'll bet ya piece of stadium pizza my score will be close...lol. I do see a blowout but thats why they play the game.
Looks Like I owe you that slice of pizza Money316...I really never saw this coming. Just too much talent on that O and D line of ALCO Yesterday . Southern is not quite there yet. They did not play well, but pretty sure the constant pressure applied up front on both sides by ALCO had a lot to do with that! Very impressed with them as athletes...not so much as gentlemen but that's a separate matter. Their behavior towards Southern Fans and Parents as their bus pulled away was an unfortunate blemish on their otherwise stellar performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT