ADVERTISEMENT

ALCO Football

Jul 28, 2019
This is a result of the head coach not listening to its players. This is old school coaches brought on this year trying to coach like the 80s. This is a captain of the team, talking on behalf of the juniors on the team, wanting to discuss issues with a coaching staff that did not want to listen. Those same juniors, although they did not take a stand with their captain, are showing on the field how they feel about this program. One kid (Jr that quit) does not make that much of a difference for them to lose this bad. These same juniors two years ago blew out the FH Jv in little homecoming by 17 points. They have talent and should not be losing to a mountain ridge team that gave up 90 pts in two games.

Reactions: Tony54
Coaches get too much credit for wins and too much criticism for losses. The best plans on paper or a whiteboard are still executed (or not) on the field. Give credit to Mt. Ridge--they clearly wanted this game. Ridge had a nice offensive gameplan and their kids executed.

Coaches not listening to players is NOT the cause of Allegany starting 0-3. I have zero insight into the inner workings of the Alco program, but I have 2 good eyes and a brain that partially functions. When I think wisdom and leadership, I don't think high school juniors. Sorry

Mountain Ridge was ready to play and wanted it. Why wasn’t Allegany ready to play? Why didn’t it look like Allegany wanted it? That’s the question these aren’t the same kids I’ve seen play for years. Right now there is no desire

Winning and Losing programs are the result of the culture that is in place. FH’s winning culture starts with huge community interest and an in tact, tenured and committed coaching staff. Throw 100 committed kids that are committed to the process that Believe in their leader and u have a winner. Alco is obviously missing one or more of these components.

I wasn't at the game. I am relying on people who were at the game for their commentary on things such as that. If everyone is stating how Allegany wasn't ready to play this game that it had to be painfully obvious that they weren't ready. Mountain Ridge has less than 30 years more rushing than Allegany did in the end. Granted, 80 of Alco's came on the one Welch run, and a lot came on the last Alco drive before turning it over on downs.

I give a lot of credit to Head Coach Ryan Patterson, they moved Tre Smith to the offensive line during the week after struggling to run the ball the first two weeks, that along with his decision to take the ball when winning the coin flip were the two biggest factors in this game. Getting out to that early 7-0 lead was huge for MR.

Let's not forget that Alco was driving down 10-0 in efforts of making it a three point game late in the first half when they had a fumble returned for a touchdown.

Mountain Ridge was ready to play and wanted it. Why wasn’t Allegany ready to play? Why didn’t it look like Allegany wanted it? That’s the question these aren’t the same kids I’ve seen play for years. Right now there is no desire

I can't directly address that bc I'm not part of the program, but kids mature, get faster and stronger, and catch up or even surpass those early maturing kids in terms of strength and speed...been happening forever. Doesn't really matter who you whip as a freshman...especially if that whippin just motivated dude to work with the purpose of returning the favor one day

Winning and Losing programs are the result of the culture that is in place. FH’s winning culture starts with huge community interest and an in tact, tenured and committed coaching staff. Throw 100 committed kids that are committed to the process that Believe in their leader and u have a winner. Alco is obviously missing one or more of these components.

Proof the process works! Lol

Mountain Ridge was prepared and ready to play. Is their kicker a senior? He can kick, very strong leg with height

Mountain Ridge was prepared and ready to play. Is their kicker a senior? He can kick, very strong leg with height
No, he is only a Sophomore. Their QB, Bryce Snyder is just a Sophomore as well. Despite the success of the RB's tonight, Mountain Ridge is really struggling for play makers at that position this year.

Reactions: Ashtonjay
Wow! He is going go somewhere. Big time kicker, his kickoffs were high and deep. His fg and extra points were straight down the middle and they got up quick. I’m not sure how long the field goal was he made. He probably has around 45 yard distance it look like.

Reactions: Ashtonjay
Like Todd Appel or not. He is the best around at creating the culture. No one is more committed. The expectations are in place and the kids meet them year in and year out. He has a great bunch of assistants that support him. The community wants to win And they show up. The alumni care and provide support. I just would like to see FH get better at the other sports because, quite frankly, they aren’t very good. And you know why? No culture. It’s that simple. As far as Alco, I don’t know. Something is wrong. It needs fixed.

Todd Appel is a great leader and coach. They have fun. A few years ago I saw a practice they had speakers out playing music, I think there were tables out with cups full of drinks. Im sure it was something different, but he has fun with them. You never hear things like kids not getting drinks. At game time the kids are ready to play. With Allegany right now it’s the opposite

Like Todd Appel or not. He is the best around at creating the culture. No one is more committed. The expectations are in place and the kids meet them year in and year out. He has a great bunch of assistants that support him. The community wants to win And they show up. The alumni care and provide support. I just would like to see FH get better at the other sports because, quite frankly, they aren’t very good. And you know why? No culture. It’s that simple. As far as Alco, I don’t know. Something is wrong. It needs fixed.
Let's not act like that culture wasnt there before Appel was around.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I wanted to mention two things from tonight's Mountain Ridge/Allegany game...

1.) Overall, it was one of the best officiated high school football games I have seen in a very long time. Despite this fact, they did MISS a huge call during Mountain Ridge's second to last touchdown drive. With MR up 24-7, they were driving inside the Alco 15 and their runner did lose the ball with a clear Allegany recovery which would of negated the score that put Mountain Ridge up 31-7 and given Allegany a chance to get a quick score to get the game back within two scores. That said, it was the only missed call during the game and it was very close to the runners knee and elbow being down.

2.) Their were two plays that I thought was a real tail tell sign of what this Allegany team is feeling right now. In the first half their was a kickoff that the Allegany returner assumed was going into the end zone and started walking away from despite it still being in the field of play... and the last Mountain Ridge touchdown run... two Alco players had the MR runner in arm tackles and instead of finishing the tackle they attempted to arm throw him to the ground. It cost the Campers 7 points as the Mountain Ridge runner didn't just go down at first contact... he fought through it and rumbled for a long touchdown. Both of these plays screamed to me a team has lost interest in the season/game.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I only remember one flag a holding call late in the game on a run by Welch. I’m sure there were more I don’t remember any others

Amen.

These weren't game breakers however there were two cases where Alco got unlucky breaks. With MR driving deep in Alco territory in the first quarter it looked pretty clear that an Alco player stripped the ball at the MR 3 yd line. Pulled the ball right out of the Ridge ball carriers hands. Really should've been a turnover. Could've been a momentum changer as MR was only up 10-0 at the time. MR went on to score on the next play.

Then late in the game, although the score was out of hand by then, and Alco player appeared to get a foot in bounds on a TD pass. But was called out of bounds.

Not necessarily game changers, but an indication of the breaks just not going Alco's way on the evening.

I have no idea why my username says "FHHSAHSagain" on those posts. It still me. Weird.

Coaches get too much credit for wins and too much criticism for losses. The best plans on paper or a whiteboard are still executed (or not) on the field. Give credit to Mt. Ridge--they clearly wanted this game. Ridge had a nice offensive gameplan and their kids executed.

Coaches not listening to players is NOT the cause of Allegany starting 0-3. I have zero insight into the inner workings of the Alco program, but I have 2 good eyes and a brain that partially functions. When I think wisdom and leadership, I don't think high school juniors. Sorry
Coaches do get too much credit and blame. Also the mtn Ridge boys showed up and deserve credit. It is about the jr class when there are only 4 seniors on this team. Also the junior class had 6 players quit this team since the summer started. Besides How can you not think juniors when its a junior and senior mix on every team around here except FH? Sorry but you don't think juniors then you dont have a clue about depth on these teams and that is what quit ALCO over the summer. Now injuries are costing them dearly.

I hope for the kids sake that Alco can turn things aorund. It would be good for local football in many ways.

This did not happen overnight but has been in the works for several years. Appel takes over at FH and builds a great program with much recognition and success. Players and parents see this and want to be a part of it for a variety of reasons (scholarships, pride, bragging rights at work,etc.).

As players and parents move and shuffle their kids to be a part of the best program (which begins happening in pee-wee footbal now) the balance of power between the city schools and other local schools is thrown way off.

Alco stayed close for years mainly due to the influence and abilities of the Robinette's (who ironically lived in the Frankfort district, moved to the Fort Hill district and played for Alco). Now that cupboard is empty and the kids (who are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for) don't see the value in wasting their time to beat an unstoppable force. The thought may be no homecoming win, no playoff victory, no state championships so why bother.

The thought patterns about football and sports in general that we are accustomed to have shifted drastically in the last several years. Young people have many more options in regards to how they spend their free time and many don't see the value in sports ecspecially the one's that are physically and mentally demanding like football particularly when winning becomes more difficult.

True. More of a continuation than a creation, but I get his point.
Coaches do get too much credit and blame. Also the mtn Ridge boys showed up and deserve credit. It is about the jr class when there are only 4 seniors on this team. Also the junior class had 6 players quit this team since the summer started. Besides How can you not think juniors when its a junior and senior mix on every team around here except FH? Sorry but you don't think juniors then you dont have a clue about depth on these teams and that is what quit ALCO over the summer. Now injuries are costing them dearly.

You've missed my point when I referenced hs juniors. Loosely, my point is inmates shouldn't run asylums. They're kids, perhaps kids that aren't ready or interested in being anything more

You mean Fort Hill "Pride" has been around a long time and has impact? Glad you've come round to our way of thinking. LoL.
Of course its existed, but the question has always been is being the best team in Cumberland really something to be proud of? Still waiting for you to figure out it's not lol

Last edited:
onering i can tell you with certainty that it wasn't always there. There were times when kids were sitting because others kids dads were the principal or coach and it caused a lot of problems. If two kids did the same thing and one had a dad who was connected and one was from a horribly poor sad environment they were punished differently.

True. More of a continuation than a creation, but I get his point.

You've missed my point when I referenced hs juniors. Loosely, my point is inmates shouldn't run asylums. They're kids, perhaps kids that aren't ready or interested in being anything more

Kids seek coaching that will make them better, but respect is a two way street, and the kids are not running the asylum, but they are not getting the leadership they need not the respect they deserve. Hence, they leave. Respect is earned - over and over. Blowing a kid off because the coach does not like being challenged or even respectfully questioned is a coaching problem, not a player problem.

Of course its existed, but the question has always been is being the best team in Cumberland really something to be proud of? Still waiting for you to figure out it's not lol

So kids should just give up and have no aspitations becasue they were screwed by living in Cumberland. Of course they should be proud of everything they accomplish. You really need to rethink your attitude.

onering i can tell you with certainty that it wasn't always there. There were times when kids were sitting because others kids dads were the principal or coach and it caused a lot of problems. If two kids did the same thing and one had a dad who was connected and one was from a horribly poor sad environment they were punished differently.
If that's the case then Appel didnt change anything really. Didn't he call up half a sophomore class once for the playoffs and play many of them over people who started most of the year?

Even during those times you mentioned, how badly did program numbers or support for the program fall?

Reactions: Lagmeister
So kids should just give up and have no aspitations becasue they were screwed by living in Cumberland. Of course they should be proud of everything they accomplish. You really need to rethink your attitude.
Where was anything like that said? If being the best team in a dead town is an accomplishment, you really need to expand your horizons. Aim higher.

I hope for the kids sake that Alco can turn things aorund. It would be good for local football in many ways.

This did not happen overnight but has been in the works for several years. Appel takes over at FH and builds a great program with much recognition and success. Players and parents see this and want to be a part of it for a variety of reasons (scholarships, pride, bragging rights at work,etc.).

As players and parents move and shuffle their kids to be a part of the best program (which begins happening in pee-wee footbal now) the balance of power between the city schools and other local schools is thrown way off.

Alco stayed close for years mainly due to the influence and abilities of the Robinette's (who ironically lived in the Frankfort district, moved to the Fort Hill district and played for Alco). Now that cupboard is empty and the kids (who are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for) don't see the value in wasting their time to beat an unstoppable force. The thought may be no homecoming win, no playoff victory, no state championships so why bother.

The thought patterns about football and sports in general that we are accustomed to have shifted drastically in the last several years. Young people have many more options in regards to how they spend their free time and many don't see the value in sports ecspecially the one's that are physically and mentally demanding like football particularly when winning becomes more difficult.

I could not have put it better myself. Started to watch. Had to leave. Alco football is over. The homecoming loss last year stamped the exodus. Kids don't want to openly admit that they want nothing to do with a program that is going to get humiliated by their crosstown rival with no end in sight. This is even more of a bitter pill with a program that has had such a successful past. By the time we get to homecoming Alco may not even have a team.

Kids seek coaching that will make them better, but respect is a two way street, and the kids are not running the asylum, but they are not getting the leadership they need not the respect they deserve. Hence, they leave. Respect is earned - over and over. Blowing a kid off because the coach does not like being challenged or even respectfully questioned is a coaching problem, not a player problem.

Agreed, if what we're hearing is true. The problem with the scenario that has been presented is this is the same coaching staff folks are happy with when they're winning.

Agreed, if what we're hearing is true. The problem with the scenario that has been presented is this is the same coaching staff folks are happy with when they're winning.

This same coach put a juggernaut together for the first game of the season to beat Dunbar. Gee! It was warm during those early practices too. He had the talent then..... he now has a disgruntled team with a fraction of the talent. He obviously wasn't giving that team more water to drink during those early warm practices than his current team.

What you have is a poor season last year, a thorough stomping by FH and now the exit door.

What are you talking about? How about some specifics?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT