ADVERTISEMENT

ACIT 2019

Disappointing loss by Bishop Walsh to Goretti this evening. They lead the whole game. Gaels came back late to crush the Spartans hopes of winning twice in this year's ACIT. 59-55 was the final.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
No excuse for blowing a 14 pt lead BW became careless with the ball down the stretch and Goretti finally made some plays. Still a really good tournament for BW, could have won all 3 games, should have won 2. All things considered a 20 win season for a first year program is pretty darn good.

One glaring thing I've noticed all tournament is the inconsistency of the refs and how poor they are in this area. I know they have a tough job but they are in over their heads reffing games at this level. They go from calling nothing to calling phantom fouls, and half the time they are just confused.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
No excuse for blowing a 14 pt lead BW became careless with the ball down the stretch and Goretti finally made some plays. Still a really good tournament for BW, could have won all 3 games, should have won 2. All things considered a 20 win season for a first year program is pretty darn good.

One glaring thing I've noticed all tournament is the inconsistency of the refs and how poor they are in this area. I know they have a tough job but they are in over their heads reffing games at this level. They go from calling nothing to calling phantom fouls, and half the time they are just confused.
Seems to me if you are going to put on a tournament of this nature you should have a pick of the refs for the games. Who is responsible for that?

Not sure who picks the refs, there are some that are not regular high school refs in the area but most are the same ones you see doing the games locally

The refs were very inconsistent the entire tournament, I noticed that early on. BW surely didn’t get any home court calls. This area has the worst basketball refs at all levels for some reason.

Well they suck too then haha. I'm not knocking them because I know it's not easy but just the inconsistency was glaring all weekend. They'd go from letting them play and only calling the obvious to calling odd touch fouls, etc

Last edited:
one of the ACIT refs refereed the AC of M game. He was worse than when he did the ACIT games.

It’s definitely local. I travel with youth bb teams to different areas and refs are nothing like they are around here. Don’t have to go far to see a huge difference.

I hear a ton of moaning about officials this time of year. There is not a single poster here or anyone these posters know including myself, that could step in and do a great job officiating without someone ridiculing the job they did. It's tournament time. That means lose and the season is over. So it's human nature to blister officials as to the reason we lose and end our dreams. I had to listen to the Frankfort girls go balistic (after losing by 23 points), the ACIT fans, the AC fans and as I left the Southern game last night listen to the New Era fans and students bitch very loud about how they got cheated when the foul numbers called were dead even. Anger just blinds logic.

Please feel free to sign up to become a local official. If you read the national headline news, you can see the U.S. is extremely short on secondary school officials. The fact nobody wants to officiate high school and youth league sports anymore is due to the constant actions and verbal abuse from coaches, parents and fans.

MPSSAA: https://www.mpssaa.org/officials/become-a-high-school-sports-official/

POTOMAC VALLEY BASKETBALL OFFICIALS NEEDED
The Potomac Valley Board No. 204 of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials is accepting applicants for its upcoming class.Candidates will be required to pass written, floor and physical examinations. Applicants should contact local interpreter George Geatz at 301-707-9325 or any Board 204 member for more information.

Good luck having anyone pat you on the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I hear a ton of moaning about officials this time of year. There is not a single poster here or anyone these posters know including myself, that could step in and do a great job officiating without someone ridiculing the job they did. It's tournament time. That means lose and the season is over. So it's human nature to blister officials as to the reason we lose and end our dreams. I had to listen to the Frankfort girls go balistic (after losing by 23 points), the ACIT fans, the AC fans and as I left the Southern game last night listen to the New Era fans and students bitch very loud about how they got cheated when the foul numbers called were dead even. Anger just blinds logic.

Please feel free to sign up to become a local official. If you read the national headline news, you can see the U.S. is extremely short on secondary school officials. The fact nobody wants to officiate high school and youth league sports anymore is due to the constant actions and verbal abuse from coaches, parents and fans.

MPSSAA: https://www.mpssaa.org/officials/become-a-high-school-sports-official/

POTOMAC VALLEY BASKETBALL OFFICIALS NEEDED
The Potomac Valley Board No. 204 of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials is accepting applicants for its upcoming class.Candidates will be required to pass written, floor and physical examinations. Applicants should contact local interpreter George Geatz at 301-707-9325 or any Board 204 member for more information.

Good luck having anyone pat you on the back.
Agree 100%. It is getting to a dangerous level. As far as the shortage on officials goes.

My one argument about officials has and will continue to be not calling the game consistently. You can't "let them play" and then all the sudden call tick tack fouls. If you feel like a game is getting out of control and you need to bring it in then give notice. Let the coaches and players know what is going on.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Agree 100%. It is getting to a dangerous level. As far as the shortage on officials goes.

My one argument about officials has and will continue to be not calling the game consistently. You can't "let them play" and then all the sudden call tick tack fouls. If you feel like a game is getting out of control and you need to bring it in then give notice. Let the coaches and players know what is going on.

For sure. We all gripe about officiating from time to time. I was just a little alarmed by the fact every big game this weekend the officials got ripped. Didn't matter whether is was WV refs or local refs or other County refs. There is a pattern here come tourney time regardless of where the officials came from. That tells me all I need to know.

For sure. We all gripe about officiating from time to time. I was just a little alarmed by the fact every big game this weekend the officials got ripped. Didn't matter whether is was WV refs or local refs or other County refs. There is a pattern here come tourney time regardless of where the officials came from. That tells me all I need to know.
Yeah, I think it goes to the fact that there is so much on the line. I am a fan of the Ravens, Orioles, Wizards, Capitals, U of MD sports (ALL), and Mountain Ridge sports. I used to lose my mind when one of my teams lost. Especially if it was an important game. I would be in a bad mood for a week or so. I have learned to let it go over the years and after a loss now I just chalk it up to another game played and move on. Doesn't hurt any less. I have learned how to deal with it, lol. We must all remember it is just a game at the end of the day. Sports can be so powerful. Look at how it brought the country back together following 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombing.

I agree with. This drives me crazy when it happens during my son's games. The best refs establish in the first 2 or 3 minutes how they are going to call the game and stay consistent until the end. If they begin the game calling it tight the coaches and players can adjust.

I will say the ACIT refs had amazing patience with the coaches, almost too patient. I only saw one technical get called throughout the entire tournament when they could have called 2 or 3 per game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT