ADVERTISEMENT

ACIT 2019

loco09

All County Poster
Jul 11, 2018
Figured I'd get this started. March 7,8,9 at Frostburg. www.alhambratournament.com

Six of the eight teams have been announced as of today.
BW
Goretti
Mt St Joe's
St Frances
DeMatha
Paul VI

Final two teams will probably be a combination of Gonzaga, O'Connell, and St John's.

New this year all games will be streamed on monumental sports same as the Bob Kirk tournament was.

Figured I'd get this started. March 7,8,9 at Frostburg. www.alhambratournament.com

Six of the eight teams have been announced as of today.
BW
Goretti
Mt St Joe's
St Frances
DeMatha
Paul VI

Final two teams will probably be a combination of Gonzaga, O'Connell, and St John's.

New this year all games will be streamed on monumental sports same as the Bob Kirk tournament was.

I think Gonzaga is almost certain to be in. I think O'Connell will also get in based on Coach Wooten's connection to the tournament. They will make every effort to get them in.

O'Connell had a tough home loss to McNamara today and St. John's was edged by Paul VI. SJC is a game ahead of O'Connell for fourth place and faces Gonzaga on in the regular season finale on Tuesday while O'Connell plays DeMatha. O'Connell's Maryland commit Marcus Dockery has been out injured the last couple games.

If the public/private thing goes through in PA maybe that could lead to the PCL leacing the PIAA and returning to the ACIT.

O'Connell had a tough home loss to McNamara today and St. John's was edged by Paul VI. SJC is a game ahead of O'Connell for fourth place and faces Gonzaga on in the regular season finale on Tuesday while O'Connell plays DeMatha. O'Connell's Maryland commit Marcus Dockery has been out injured the last couple games.

If the public/private thing goes through in PA maybe that could lead to the PCL leacing the PIAA and returning to the ACIT.

The ACIT doesn't seem to go strictly by the regular season standings. They kind of make it up as they go along. They will do whatever is possible to get O'Connell in.

I think Dematha is pretty far above the field. The rest of the field including BW could be fairly even. Not including Dematha anyone could win. What do you guys think?

I think Dematha is pretty far above the field. The rest of the field including BW could be fairly even. Not including Dematha anyone could win. What do you guys think?

Usually it's what team comes in more motivated. It's been a long season. I've noticed in the past whatever school doesn't win the WCAC championship plays a little harder. Also MSJ beat SFA in the playoffs but SFA can get hot and beat any team in the ACIT.

Also the Baltimore teams have weird playoffs. It's like they have the BCL playoffs and then the same teams play again in the MIAA playoffs, or something like that, lol

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Usually it's what team comes in more motivated. It's been a long season. I've noticed in the past whatever school doesn't win the WCAC championship plays a little harder. Also MSJ beat SFA in the playoffs but SFA can get hot and beat any team in the ACIT.

Also the Baltimore teams have weird playoffs. It's like they have the BCL playoffs and then the same teams play again in the MIAA playoffs, or something like that, lol
There have been talks for years about getting rid of the BCL playoffs because they are redundant with the MIAA playoffs, the only team in the BCL that isn't in the MIAA is Goretti, if MSJ and St Frances were to meet in the ACIT it could possibly be for the 5th time this year, which is crazy. I love the ACIT and the talent is still great but I miss the days of having different teams coming in, field is way too predictable the past 10 years or so. Unfortunately not a lot that can be done. Judge Memorial from Utah that used to come all the time no longer really plays at a high level, Philly can't come, New York can't come, and the truly elite like LaLumiere will be in the GEICO Nationals and wouldn't come to the ACIT.

Gonzaga officially added as the seventh team in the field, no surprise there. One spot left. Would be cool to add a new team but I'd bet my paycheck it will be St John's or OConnell

St. John's is officially the final ACIT team. They beat DeMatha last night to advance to tonight's WCAC final against Gonzaga.

And in Baltimore SFA beat MSJ in a mini upset. So both DeMatha and MSJ will be looking for revenge in the ACIT's.

Also a player to watch is Jordan Toles from St. Frances. I may have mentioned him before. He's only a junior but is one of the top safety's in the country. He's getting offers from high D1 schools in basketball and football. Maryland offered him in both sports. Alabama offered him in football.

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
Are all the MIAA schools playing St. Frances in basketball or is there still a racial divide there?

Are all the MIAA schools playing St. Frances in basketball or is there still a racial divide there?

Believe me if little SFA starts wearing MSJ out in basketball like they do in football, MSJ will conjure up some excuse to stop playing them, lol

Believe me if little SFA starts wearing MSJ out in basketball like they do in football, MSJ will conjure up some excuse to stop playing them, lol

So I wonder if the whole football thing was about their competition level or about race. I'm not going to act as if I know the answer because I dont. My gut just says it was about where St. Frances took their level of play and recruiting prowess. The part that was silly was listening to schools like MSJ and Gillman complain about another school recruiting.

So I wonder if the whole football thing was about their competition level or about race. I'm not going to act as if I know the answer because I dont. My gut just says it was about where St. Frances took their level of play and recruiting prowess. The part that was silly was listening to schools like MSJ and Gillman complain about another school recruiting.

This thread is about the ACIT so let's not get too far off track talking about SFA football. There's another thread on here where someone posted an article about St Frances football where that topic is being discussed. If you attend the ACIT's next week the player I was referring to is #23. He makes a couple of spectacular plays every game.

The ACIT doesn't do seedings per se but if I had to rank the teams I would go

1) DeMatha
2) Gonzaga
3) Paul VI
4) St Johns (playing well lately though)
5) St Frances
6) Goretti
7) MSJ
8) BW

If a WCAC team doesnt win I would be shocked. I think BW is capable of winning a game or two as long as their PG is healthy depending on the matchups. All of these teams have at least one win against another team in the field during the year, so it should be a great three days of competitive high level basketball.

The ACIT doesn't do seedings per se but if I had to rank the teams I would go

1) DeMatha
2) Gonzaga
3) Paul VI
4) St Johns (playing well lately though)
5) St Frances
6) Goretti
7) MSJ
8) BW

If a WCAC team doesnt win I would be shocked. I think BW is capable of winning a game or two as long as their PG is healthy depending on the matchups. All of these teams have at least one win against another team in the field during the year, so it should be a great three days of competitive high level basketball.

At first I didn't understand why you had Goretti higher than MSJ but I see your logic because Goretti beat them twice. But then BW beat Goretti and that was the game BW had a couple of starters out. And MSJ beat SFA twice this year.

The bottom three could really be in any order as youve seen they've beaten each other, I put Goretti 6th just because as you said they swept MSJ and beat them by 22 in the last meeting. Goretti shot horribly against BW and if they play again I expect a much better performance from them. I'm hoping for some really good matchups especially on the last two days.

Reactions: BoyznBlue

It's not silly when one school brings in 30+ transfers from all over the country and as far away as France and tries to claim to compete evenly. The entire rest of the MIAA might get 10 transfers a year.

SFA has been a basketball powerhouse for years and has regularly beaten up the McDonogh and Gilman's of the world and no one has complained because there weren't the serious injuries that were sustained by everyone who played SFA in football their last year in the league.

It's not a race issue, it's a Biff Poggi issue. That man has singlehandedly ruined the MIAA football scene. Before his efforts at Gilman the MIAA schools barely recruited. Schools were 95% homegrown rosters. Coaches weren't recruiting like college coaches. When he started doing that at Gilman everyone had to keep up.

The recruited-up teams are driving kids away from the sport in droves. Gilman did not field a JV last year. They are worried about fielding a varsity this year. McDonogh had a JV but they played about 4 games and they have under 40 kids left in the whole programs. Kids don't want to play a sport if they know they're just going to be replaced by a recruit whenever one becomes available. The programs lack the camaraderie they used to have as well. The MIAA championship McDonogh team I played on my junior year had zero football recruited kids in the junior or senior classes. Most of the team were legacies and/or had been there since elementary school. That's all gone now. They've forgotten what high school athletics are about and the school is worse off for it. It's a weird feeling not feeling any pride or attachment to your alma mater when you used to be so proud of them.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
It's not silly when one school brings in 30+ transfers from all over the country and as far away as France and tries to claim to compete evenly. The entire rest of the MIAA might get 10 transfers a year.

SFA has been a basketball powerhouse for years and has regularly beaten up the McDonogh and Gilman's of the world and no one has complained because there weren't the serious injuries that were sustained by everyone who played SFA in football their last year in the league.

It's not a race issue, it's a Biff Poggi issue. That man has singlehandedly ruined the MIAA football scene. Before his efforts at Gilman the MIAA schools barely recruited. Schools were 95% homegrown rosters. Coaches weren't recruiting like college coaches. When he started doing that at Gilman everyone had to keep up.

The recruited-up teams are driving kids away from the sport in droves. Gilman did not field a JV last year. They are worried about fielding a varsity this year. McDonogh had a JV but they played about 4 games and they have under 40 kids left in the whole programs. Kids don't want to play a sport if they know they're just going to be replaced by a recruit whenever one becomes available. The programs lack the camaraderie they used to have as well. The MIAA championship McDonogh team I played on my junior year had zero football recruited kids in the junior or senior classes. Most of the team were legacies and/or had been there since elementary school. That's all gone now. They've forgotten what high school athletics are about and the school is worse off for it. It's a weird feeling not feeling any pride or attachment to your alma mater when you used to be so proud of them.

LOL - Like I said previously, why are you guys trying to hijack the ACIT thread? First of all this was discussed ad nauseum last fall when the story initially broke. If I remember there were at least 4 different threads about this topic. Also, within the last couple of weeks somebody posted an article about this and it was being discussed again.

LOL - Like I said previously, why are you guys trying to hijack the ACIT thread? First of all this was discussed ad nauseum last fall when the story initially broke. If I remember there were at least 4 different threads about this topic. Also, within the last couple of weeks somebody posted an article about this and it was being discussed again.

Out of the few posters that exist here no one cares enough to highjack anything. It is relevant because we are talking about Catholic private school athletics and the recruitment of teenage kids from all over gods earth in the name of sports. Why others do not wish to play them like BW playing tiny local public schools is a true topic. If this were truly a race issue the MIAA would have dumped St. Frances in hoops. I have said I have no problem with private schools recruiting the earth. Just play other schools who do the same.

BW is playing game 3 the first night against Gonzaga. Dematha and St. Francis are playing each other the first night

I don't really like that matchup for BW in the first round as Gonzaga is really tough and their guards will be hard to match up against. However, the second day with a potential game against MSJ there is potential to get a win. All of this is dependent upon the BW point guard being healthy. The DeMatha - St Frances game appears to be the best of day 1.

Out of the few posters that exist here no one cares enough to highjack anything. It is relevant because we are talking about Catholic private school athletics and the recruitment of teenage kids from all over gods earth in the name of sports. Why others do not wish to play them like BW playing tiny local public schools is a true topic. If this were truly a race issue the MIAA would have dumped St. Frances in hoops. I have said I have no problem with private schools recruiting the earth. Just play other schools who do the same.

Yes, you've made this point over and over. This was debated at length last fall. Part of the issue on this board is people have the same arguments over and over - that sometimes can last for years. All I'm saying is start a new thread for this or comment in the other St Frances thread from last week where people are already talking about Biff Poggi. The conversation you want to have has nothing to do with the ACIT.

I don't really like that matchup for BW in the first round as Gonzaga is really tough and their guards will be hard to match up against. However, the second day with a potential game against MSJ there is potential to get a win. All of this is dependent upon the BW point guard being healthy. The DeMatha - St Frances game appears to be the best of day 1.

Gonzaga of course is going to be a tough match-up but I actually like it for BW because they are the most beatable of the WCAC schools. The DM game is going to be the best of Day 1 that's why I don't understand why they made it the 5:45 game. From a fan perspective that one or the BW game should have been the 9:15 game.

DeMatha won the private school tournament defeating St. Andrews, Riverdale Baptist (who knocked BW out) and Rock Creek Christian. Goretti and St. Frances square off tonight for the BCL title.

ACIT Scores - Thursday Games

Gonzaga 67, Bishop Walsh 59 F
DeMatha 79, St. Frances 74 F/2OT
St. John's 70, Goretti 58 F

First day was pretty good. first game with St. Johns and Goretti was probably the least entertaining of the games. DeMatha SFA 2OT was the game of the night, could have easily been the championship game, good intensity, big time plays, SFA guards bullied their way to the basket but just came up short. BW played really well in the first half but the 3rd quarter they went cold but a solid showing against the WCAC tourney champs. Apparently Maryland was looking at Nkamhoua for BW, coming back Saturday to watch him as well. Things got a little chippy as well, personally as long as it doesn't cross the line I love seeing the fight and swagger in BW after being the doormat of the ACIT for most of the last 3 decades. Didn't watch all of the PVI - MSJ game, PVI was in control when left but MSJ found back and only lost by 3. Day 2 should be good as well

Goretti vs SFA
BW vs MSJ
DeMatha vs St Johns
PVI vs Gonzaga

Great to see BW come out with the win. They played well the whole game, shot the ball well, mad some clutch foul shots, had some highlight dunks from Nkamhoua and Gultekin, a really nice win. That Goretti game will be nice tomorrow, the teams don't like each other and it's the last game for a lot of players. Side note, the Bishop kid for MSJ is crazy good, so smooth and effortless, going to LSU.

Reactions: beall02
ACIT Scores - Friday games

Goretti 66, St. Frances 46 F
Bishop Walsh 78, Mount Saint Joseph 71 F
DeMatha 92, St. John's 79 F

Paul VI beat Gonzaga so they will face off against DeMatha for the championship tomorrow

The ACIT people met and changed the schedule for Day 3.

‼️BREAKING: NEW CHAMPIONSHIP DAY SCHEDULE FOR @ACIT2019!

3:00 St John's vs Mt St Joe
4:45 Gonzaga vs St Frances
6:30 BW vs Goretti
8:00 DeMatha vs PVI

Guess they decided it was best for the non championship teams not to face off for the 5th time this year. I'm ok with the move, not sure how they'll do trophies but other than the championship that's kind of irrelevant anyway. Should be great crowds today especially since they moved the BW game to the third slot

BW has never won two games in the ACIT but LaSalle did it on several occasions during the first years of the tournament

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT