ADVERTISEMENT

ALCO DROPS FOOTBALL!

Sad, but quite possible.... ugh, maybe not that soon. Still, it's just the reality of the numbers. They should start by dropping homecoming so they only have to face FH once in the playoffs. Let's face it: FH is currently getting two thirds of the shrinking available talent. Whatever the demographics are that funnels the athletes to the schools, Allegany isn't even getting enough freshman to form a team.

I heard (a few months ago) that up until the 80's Cresaptown and Rawlings students all went to Allegany. Apparently (from the story) the person in charge at the time was a FH alumni, and changed the districts to benefit FH.

I have no idea how true any of this was considering I was hearing this story from a man that seemed pretty trashed one night at the local club in Cresaptown. I was just wondering if there was any truth to it, and if so... What was the motivation behind it? In other words... "How did they sell it?"

I heard (a few months ago) that up until the 80's Cresaptown and Rawlings students all went to Allegany. Apparently (from the story) the person in charge at the time was a FH alumni, and changed the districts to benefit FH.

I have no idea how true any of this was considering I was hearing this story from a man that seemed pretty trashed one night at the local club in Cresaptown. I was just wondering if there was any truth to it, and if so... What was the motivation behind it? In other words... "How did they sell it?"

All you need to know is the shrinking enrollment of Allegany and the fact that they can no longer field a freshman football team. Then look at the depth of the talent level at FH. All other explanations are unnecessary. Allegany is the best it can be with what it has. FH is the best it can be with what it has.... and it has a lot. It is all right in front of us and no explanation is necessary. You can't 'coach up' or 'quick drill' the numbers and talent level FH has for a 1A school. The demographics of Cumberland are sending them to FH.

"Demographics."

Allegany isn't getting enough Freshman to field a team?

Frankfort, smaller than Allegany by a sizeable amount, had Freshman Football as recent as last year. I don't think we can primarily blame "demographics" for lack of interest in Freshman Football per se.

Last edited:
All you need to know is the shrinking enrollment of Allegany and the fact that they can no longer field a freshman football team. Then look at the depth of the talent level at FH. All other explanations are unnecessary. Allegany is the best it can be with what it has. FH is the best it can be with what it has.... and it has a lot. It is all right in front of us and no explanation is necessary. You can't 'coach up' or 'quick drill' the numbers and talent level FH has for a 1A school. The demographics of Cumberland are sending them to FH.

Ok, didn't know I was wrong, and I don't need to be right. GL with your season

So the new coach probably starts off every practice with "guys we don't have the numbers, so practice isn't going to change anything, you know what... Just go home and play video games, see ya Friday"

Last edited:

Both Rawlings and Bel Air were FH districts in the 80's. I believed it happened in the early 70's in an effort to put more "money" in the lesser affluent of the two schools. A person can't get to those areas in either direction without going through Mt. Ridge or Alco districts. FH had a bad reputation in those days regarding the student body make-up.

Both Rawlings and Bel Air were FH districts in the 80's. I believed it happened in the early 70's in an effort to put more "money" in the lesser affluent of the two schools. A person can't get to those areas in either direction without going through Mt. Ridge or Alco districts. FH had a bad reputation in those days regarding the student body make-up.

Whether gerrymandering or transferring accounts for the current lopsidedness, some athletes at FH are now looking at a 1A championship ring for part time play, while athletes of similar ability at Alco are looking at a chance to get a scholarship through the exposure of a full time starting position. Well, that's one way to look at the post Korn era.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
The problem I have with the numbers thing is if its 2/3rds to FH then why does ALCO dominate FH in Basketball and Baseball??? Better Coaching???

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Last year's senior group at FH only had 15 kids when they were freshman and JV teams. I remember them having 2 kids on the bench one game. Overall numbers are down at FH too but each class is different at small schools...some big, some small. It just so happens this year's frosh and JV squads at FH are larger but that's not always the case. Although as far as the South Cumberland youth feeder programs...yes I would agree that FH success breeds/grows young kids dreams about playing football someday at FH much like national championships at the college level breeds better interest for potential young players wanting to play there some day. Does anyone actually think Duke basketball has a huge fan base because they have a good law school? I also think Alco has lost that same edge to a degree recently but that it's not hard to envision that returning with continued success.

camper21502 makes a good point about basketball and baseball. Success does breed success.

Last edited:
camper21502, that's my argument. It's not just god given talent or numbers.

It's talent. Program. And coaching. The whole shebang.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
The problem I have with the numbers thing is if its 2/3rds to FH then why does ALCO dominate FH in Basketball and Baseball??? Better Coaching???
Bottom line the kids know where the best chances of winning are. At FH it football. At ALCO it's basketball and baseball. You can't blame a kid for wanting to win.

Those are not contact sports. And, Allegany has continuously had good sports programs. Again... Korn's problems were blaming his players and the inability to win the games he should win.

Look, I don't expect to convince a single FH fan that they have been blessed with the bulk of the talented demographics in Cumberland. They will continue to believe that some applied program fairy dust was sprinkled on your average high school youth and it turned him into a brawny, speedy football player.

It is not that Allegany didn't have enough kids, it is the quality of kids they have. The football program will be fine, I have heard that Braddock has 26 kids on D 1 and all but two are 8th graders. If I was a betting person I would say freshman football will be back at Alco next season

You keep referencing talent demographics. Is that code for what I think it is? I'm being serious.

Ugh, apparently you're a 'code word' and 'microaggression' kind of guy - can't escape them these days. If so, I owe you no explanation at all. In fact, you can cram it... sideways.

But for all others, I will restate exactly what I did when I brought the subject up in the first place: I am simply looking at the numbers - and the shrinking size of Cumberland - and figure that with the huge talent funneling into FH it has to be how the school districts are drawn... no more and no less. And, of course, knowing the chatter that some athletes transferred to FH because they didn't want to play for Korn. (Again, cram it sideways.)

I don't care what you are thinking. So, spare me. When I first brought the issue up I explained myself clearly.

Last edited:
It is not that Allegany didn't have enough kids, it is the quality of kids they have. The football program will be fine, I have heard that Braddock has 26 kids on D 1 and all but two are 8th graders. If I was a betting person I would say freshman football will be back at Alco next season

I rest my case.

"Demographics."

Allegany isn't getting enough Freshman to field a team?

Frankfort, smaller than Allegany by a sizeable amount, had Freshman Football as recent as last year. I don't think we can primarily blame "demographics" for lack of interest in Freshman Football per se.
Frankfort did not field a freshman team last year.

Who are all these kids that transferred you keep talking about. 1 transferred this year for reasons not to be discussed on a forum. Who else?

Where did I say "all these" in reference to transfers - as in many or quite a few? The numbers I referred to, quite clearly, were from the demographics. But, I have heard comments for years about some kids not wanting to play for Korn - some that had historic family ties to Allegany. I've heard it sitting in the stands.....That's why I called it chatter. But show me my "all these" statement.

Last edited:
Insinuation

As the millennials oft want to say, "Whatever." It's all speculation on my part. But you cannot argue with the numbers and the talent numbers at FH for a 1A school are off the charts. Can this be a one and done cycle as in the case of ancient Athens having Plato, Aristotle and Hippocrates et al - all at the same place at the same time in history? Who knows.

As the millennials oft want to say, "Whatever." It's all speculation on my part. But you cannot argue with the numbers and the talent numbers at FH for a 1A school are off the charts. Can this be a one and done cycle as in the case of ancient Athens having Plato, Aristotle and Hippocrates et al - all at the same place at the same time in history? Who knows.
Is it talent or is it Korn caused you to lose. Last few years its been Alco should have won but Korn screwed us, now its talent numbers. Make up your mind. If I recall Imes, K. Robinette and a big line sounds like talent to me. I believe Alco was favored in those games.

Is it talent or is it Korn caused you to lose. Last few years its been Alco should have won but Korn screwed us, now its talent numbers. Make up your mind. If I recall Imes, K. Robinette and a big line sounds like talent to me. I believe Alco was favored in those games.

Only in the older two "one point" losses was Alco favored (as Korn botched the games). You're confused. All Allegany could do was slow Ty Johnson down - followed by last year being a gross mismatch (with FH's Smith and Brown).

As to the - is it this or is it that - question... the question doesn't apply to anything I posted. I posted what I posted and the words clearly stand for themselves. Attempting to nitpick or twist the meaning doesn't change a damn thing.

"Last few years its been Alco should have won" - You're the only person in this forum that actually believes that.

"Accounts" ...plural. Your inference was loud and clear, as was your talented demographics. Need more shovels?

You know.... you can bugger off too. Go ahead and join the A-hole crowd. You've lost control of the frickin' dialogue and now you are sinking to innuendo along with the other putz-fer-brains.

An either or statement of speculation - having been clearly explained beforehand - is meaningless to the proportion of each.

If you want to sink to those depths, let's bring up and discuss FH's battle with accusations of racism in the school and on the field. Never happened at Allegany, where I went to school. Seems to me you are directing something at me that FH solely owns by itself. So, you want to go there?

And, if we do go there, then let us remember that you and all your A-hole buddies were - once again - diving under rocks when the troll was smearing FH with those allegations in this forum. And I - get it bub - was defending FH tooth and nail. So, own it.... join it.... hell, roll around it. The subject you are suggesting is the sole proprietorship of FH and it's fan base.

That is... if you want to go there. Personally, I am extremely disappointed that any of you who have been in this forum for any length of time would take the subject where you have taken it.

Lag, you are horribly bad at debate. But very good at putting your foot in your mouth.

Keep up the good work.

Lag, you are horribly bad at debate. But very good at putting your foot in your mouth.

Keep up the good work.

Obviously, you have no response, just a feeble attempt at being judgmental. And just for the record, I won the individual floor-speaking debate award at Penn State during my college years. Surely my skills have diminished but not enough that I cannot deal with you.

Obviously, you have no response, just a feeble attempt at being judgmental. And just for the record, I won the individual floor-speaking debate award at Penn State during my college years. Surely my skills have diminished but not enough that I cannot deal with you.

You went to PENN STATE?? I think we all understand now.

You went to PENN STATE?? I think we all understand now.

See.... there you go again (as Reagan would say). More innuendo from stupidville - just like the moronic leap on demographics, you assume I went to Penn State.

I went to Frostburg, as I have posted several times in this forum. I was on the FSC debate team and we went to the Penn State, East Coast Debator's Congress. Small colleges as well as Ivy league schools usually attended. Obviously, they didn't hand out awards basis what college you went to.

Just for the record.... my concept of demographics has nothing to do with where you A-holes have taken it. In fact, the entire discussion went right in the toilet without anybody politely asking me to elaborate. Remember this...

"You keep referencing talent demographics. Is that code for what I think it is?"

Did any of you clowns consider the speculation over the demographics of more FH athletes remaining in Cumberland after graduation than those from Allegany. In turn, they continued to have families in those same FH districts. The traditions as well as the gene pool would make a significant difference over time. And again.... add in the transfers and you may well have a lopsided proportion of talent.

No... Of course it would never dawn on those whose knee-jerk reaction is always racism. I have no idea whether my demographic considerations are true. I posted such. So, what in the hell is wrong with the rest of you?

So back in the 40's when you were debating, and someone would have said "does what you said mean what I think it means?" Did you go off on rambling irrelevant tangents, or did you further explain yourself? Because when the person above asked, you simply restated yourself without further explanation. You missed your chance at that point. Hence the ensuing comments.

In your defense, I assume you probably better understood the topics you were debating back then, too. Doubt there were many football questions.

So back in the 40's when you were debating, and someone would have said "does what you said mean what I think it means?" Did you go off on rambling irrelevant tangents, or did you further explain yourself? Because when the person above asked, you simply restated yourself without further explanation. You missed your chance at that point. Hence the ensuing comments.

In your defense, I assume you probably better understood the topics you were debating back then, too. Doubt there were many football questions.

How about the 70's actually, and how about someone having the hubris of innuendo - as in "what I think it means" crap that both of you indulged in.

And while we're at it you also cram this: " Doubt there were many football questions."

Besides, I have a lot more moxie in dealing with attacks on FH than any of you ex-gridiron greats from a distant high school past.

Thanks for all you do Lag. The FH community will be recognizing your efforts at the next Red Huddle club meeting. Just avoid being too gratuitous with the crap and cram references.

Wait a minute, when I said "is that code for what I think it is," what if "the speculation over the demographics of more FH athletes remaining in Cumberland after graduation than those from Allegany" was what I thought it was?

You made the inference, what if you were really the "microaggresion" guy, you made the inference. You could have inferred I thought it was code for "home ownership % in each district," or "% of adults in the household with an advanced degree," or "lefthanded registered independents who aren't voting for Gary Johnson," or "fasting blood sugar over 110 who attended FSU but weren't on the Debate Team." I mean I just asked the question, made no inferences of my own. The question could have been answered, or at least a follow up question of "what do you think it's code for" should have surely been asked.

If you really want to know, I wondered if "talented demographics" was code for "ambidextrous cunning linquists whose pen is mightier than their sword"....in terms of a raw percentage of the general population within the 21502 postal code.

Wait a minute, when I said "is that code for what I think it is," what if "the speculation over the demographics of more FH athletes remaining in Cumberland after graduation than those from Allegany" was what I thought it was?

"...what I think it is"..."what if" is sea of indecision that would make Hamlet blush.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT