ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Cumberland Area Team Lineups

FYI Danny King didn't play a single snap at QB last year. He wont this yr either despite being the best QB in the entire area. Senior Daniel Stuby has the 1st shot. 6'3 varsity pitcher. He has been the starter at all 7 on 7 events. King never played 7 on 7 this summer as he was mostly visiting camps and colleges.

This is the exact complete opposite of what you guys are spouting off about.

Last edited:
FYI Danny King didn't play a single snap at QB last year. He wont this yr either despite being the best QB in the entire area. Senior Daniel Stuby has the 1st shot. 6'3 varsity pitcher. He has been the starter at all 7 on 7 events. King never played 7 on 7 this summer as he was mostly visiting camps and colleges.

I’ll take your word on the Stuby kid, but I saw King getting a lot of 1st team reps at the WV 7v7

Reactions: ConeyIsland

Stuby took the snaps at the Frostburg 7 on 7 , while Danny was gone that day.

But at the WVU 7 on 7 , Stuby and King were both there. King took 90% of the snaps.

Those were the two 7 on 7’s that I’ve seen

Last edited:
Reactions: ConeyIsland

CoachBrian.. if any of us want shit information, we'll let you know. The reason "this is the exact complete opposite of what you guys are spouting off about" is because as usual, you're wrong, and you're an idiot. Stick to the out of town pee wee game scores.

Unless the two FH coaches that told me King has played most of their 7 on 7 snaps all summer were lying to me, then you have no idea what you're talking about, along with the fact that as usual, no one cares what you have to say and you still add zero quality to the board.

Ok, now you can reply and cry about something that I'm sure is highly relevant. Just don't forget to edit it five minutes later...

CoachBrian.. if any of us want shit information, we'll let you know. The reason "this is the exact complete opposite of what you guys are spouting off about" is because as usual, you're wrong, and you're an idiot. Stick to the out of town pee wee game scores.

Unless the two FH coaches that told me King has played most of their 7 on 7 snaps all summer were lying to me, then you have no idea what you're talking about, along with the fact that as usual, no one cares what you have to say and you still add zero quality to the board.

Ok, now you can reply and cry about something that I'm sure is highly relevant. Just don't forget to edit it five minutes later...

We will see who starts and plays QB. He wasn't even at the two 7 on 7 my nephew played in.

We will see who starts and plays QB. He wasn't even at the two 7 on 7 my nephew played in.
I have no knowledge of who will be the starter but I've seen Appel coached teams enough to know that regardless of the position injuries are never a consideration. Year after year qb's are also db's, so if anybody thinks a kicker can't be qb on this squad they are not looking at previous years lineups. Every time I have said it's very dangerous to start your qb at db people have scolded me for not letting the coaches make decisions, not letting boys be boys, worrying too much about injuries...etcetcetc...so if he is good enough to start at qb he'll start and whatever will be will be. If he gets injured and it ruins a kicking career then I'm sure most will say "it could've happened anyway, it wasn't meant to be, it was his choice", and all those are true.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I have no knowledge of who will be the starter but I've seen Appel coached teams enough to know that regardless of the position injuries are never a consideration. Year after year qb's are also db's, so if anybody thinks a kicker can't be qb on this squad they are not looking at previous years lineups. Every time I have said it's very dangerous to start your qb at db people have scolded me for not letting the coaches make decisions, not letting boys be boys, worrying too much about injuries...etcetcetc...so if he is good enough to start at qb he'll start and whatever will be will be. If he gets injured and it ruins a kicking career then I'm sure most will say "it could've happened anyway, it wasn't meant to be, it was his choice", and all those are true.

I think you're 100% right. If a QB can help his team out by playing Safety and wants to do it, he should. When we were freshmen, our varsity QB played DB too.

In this case, though, I hear that Appel is making King play QB. I could have bad info, but that's the word.

So if it's true that King just wants to help his team by being the best kicker/punter he can be and not play QB to help insure his future, but his coach makes him play QB... then are we right back to my post a couple weeks back about Appel being overly concerned with his own success and less concerned about the kids playing for him?

It's at least worth the discussion. Our head coach has his problems, too.. but I think we can finally say we have a guy who does look out for the kids' futures. We just haven't had a ton of kids in the program lately with a lot of D1 looks.

I think you're 100% right. If a QB can help his team out by playing Safety and wants to do it, he should. When we were freshmen, our varsity QB played DB too.

In this case, though, I hear that Appel is making King play QB. I could have bad info, but that's the word.

So if it's true that King just wants to help his team by being the best kicker/punter he can be and not play QB to help insure his future, but his coach makes him play QB... then are we right back to my post a couple weeks back about Appel being overly concerned with his own success and less concerned about the kids playing for him?

It's at least worth the discussion. Our head coach has his problems, too.. but I think we can finally say we have a guy who does look out for the kids' futures. We just haven't had a ton of kids in the program lately with a lot of D1 looks.

If Appel is "making" King play QB, then he wouldn't have missed any of the 7 on 7's.

Maybe,maybe hes playing so he feels hes not letting the team down... but you gotta be stoned to think apple is making him play.. I just cant see him forcefully making anyone do something they dont want to do... I'm sure there are enough kids willing and capable... if nt and I'm completely wrong well f me...

If memory serves me right in the late 70s, Todd Martin was the FH kicker for two years.....he played SS (Monster) on defense and on offense he played QB one year and fullback another......and he went on to JMU for four years. King can do some double duty without it being all about the Coach....it wasn't about Charles E. Lattimer with Martin. I guess times change.

Last edited:
If memory serves me right in the late 70s, Todd Martin was the FH kicker for two years.....he played SS (Monster) on defense and on offense he played QB one year and fullback another......and he went on to JMU for four years. King can do some double duty without it being all about the Coach....it wasn't about Charles E. Lattimer with Martin. I guess times change.

True.. I've heard one or two Todd Martin stories and that he was really good.

But wasn't Todd a position player first, who also kicked by default because he was the best guy on the team to do it? We had Munjo Walker kick and punt back in the 90s, but I think most would agree that fullback was his primary focus, so like Todd Martin, kicker wasn't his main job.

According to everything I've read, Danny King is going to WVU as a kicker, not a QB or Safety.

And sidenote.. how is Danny King rated a 5-star talent, yet Rivals says he only has preferred walk-on offers from VT and WVU? I've seen his tape. The kid can make kicks from all over the field. He's like Justin Tucker, just cross the 50 yard line and you have a shot at some points. Is the recruiting process just that different for kickers that getting a scholarship offer to one of the 130 D-1A schools is that rare?

Todd Martin was sort of kicker by default. I don't think he even attempted any field goals.

King's situation is totally different. You might think someone would call Appel from WVU and say "we would appreciate it if you found another option at QB."

Now, we know Slingin' Sammy Baugh was not only a great quarterback but once set NFL records in passing, punting and interceptions. So, there's that. But can we all agree those days are over.

Todd Martin was sort of kicker by default. I don't think he even attempted any field goals.

King's situation is totally different. You might think someone would call Appel from WVU and say "we would appreciate it if you found another option at QB."

1000% agree, Todd. But my guess is that Appel's goals and WVU's goals aren't exactly in line with each other.

I'll probably get flayed for saying this but a wing-t QB can be created out of anywhere. I mean, FH had a defensive end playing QB a few years back and that worked out just fine. There are QBs who have better arms and QBs who have better mobility and QBs who are quicker...but throwing 3 passes a game isnt a call for a gunslinger. There is definitely someone else who can play QB on this team.

I'll probably get flayed for saying this but a wing-t QB can be created out of anywhere. I mean, FH had a defensive end playing QB a few years back and that worked out just fine. There are QBs who have better arms and QBs who have better mobility and QBs who are quicker...but throwing 3 passes a game isnt a call for a gunslinger. There is definitely someone else who can play QB on this team.

Let me try to look at this from Appel's point of view... (Did I just type that?)

Ugh... Let's say once again FH is in another championship game against Dunbar and once again they have the ball 60 yards or so way from a touchdown with 8 (or so) minutes left in the game... and all they have to do is hold on, march down the field and score to win.

If FH would have had a better passing game in the prior clash with Dunbar... Well, odds would have been in their favor to win... (remember the key interception that gave the ball back to Dunbar.)

Losing again to Dunbar would be the horror or horrors. It may be a compromise choice for Appel to bring King into close games if they find any opposition that can stop their run. Of course, they would have to play him enough to keep him sharp.

That is a fair statement. The FH QB in the wing t is asked to manage the game by Coach Appel. It is a running offense. The Sentinels have had some pretty good athletes who could have thrown the ball more and be successful but didn't get the opportunity. Lags is 100% right about the 2017 Dunbar game. If throwing had been more of an option in that game, FH would have probably won. The pass could have opened up the run. If you only throw on 2nd and 3rd and long, you're not going to do that well most of the time. A FH QB has to be a good manager of the game, audibles, cadence, etc., along with carrying out and selling fakes on trap, sweep and belly. That's really about the extent, so I agree with you. Throwing the ball the last 4 years would have made the offense better than they were, but how can you argue with the results, 4 straight title appearances and 3 rings. So I don't think things are going to change.

Let me try to look at this from Appel's point of view... (Did I just type that?)

Ugh... Let's say once again FH is in another championship game against Dunbar and once again they have the ball 60 yards or so way from a touchdown with 8 (or so) minutes left in the game... and all they have to do is hold on, march down the field and score to win.

If FH would have had a better passing game in the prior clash with Dunbar... Well, odds would have been in their favor to win... (remember the key interception that gave the ball back to Dunbar.)

Losing again to Dunbar would be the horror or horrors. It may be a compromise choice for Appel to bring King into close games if they find any opposition that can stop their run. Of course, they would have to play him enough to keep him sharp.

It's not just on the QB. Yes, the QB is very important to your scenario but you're asking for the QB, OL, WR's to be on the same page, and execute passing plays in a late game pressure situation. Something they probably haven't done all year in live action.

It's not just on the QB. Yes, the QB is very important to your scenario but you're asking for the QB, OL, WR's to be on the same page, and execute passing plays in a late game pressure situation. Something they probably haven't done all year in live action.

That is why I posted they would have to play him enough to keep him sharp, which would include everyone else in those plays, obviously.

150% agree with you, just as I've said there has to be somebody who can play db just as good or better than the starting qb year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT