ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Cumberland Area Team Lineups

ConeyIsland

Varsity Poster
Oct 9, 2017
As much fun as it's been reading about Trump on a western MD high school football thread, as well as FH/Alco scheduling, where FH's players live, how a good coaching staff and strong pee wee/youth league feeder teams DO NOT relate to your high school programs success, and other fun topics...

Can we talk some local football for God's sake? I mean wtf is this?

2019 Fort Hill offense and defense - who are the starters, and who are the studs gonna be? I know y'all are gonna reload with a good squad, you do it every year. So who do we have other than Danny King kicking, punting and now maybe playing QB I hear?

2019 Allegany offense and defense - who do we have leading the charge for this year? My blue comrades are saying we have a strong senior class, so who's going to be making plays for us?

Between everyone on the board here, we should be able to get some good info here on our our teams are shaping up, and what names we need to keep our eyes out for. Have at it:

As much fun as it's been reading about Trump on a western MD high school football thread, as well as FH/Alco scheduling, where FH's players live, how a good coaching staff and strong pee wee/youth league feeder teams DO NOT relate to your high school programs success, and other fun topics...

Can we talk some local football for God's sake? I mean wtf is this?

2019 Fort Hill offense and defense - who are the starters, and who are the studs gonna be? I know y'all are gonna reload with a good squad, you do it every year. So who do we have other than Danny King kicking, punting and now maybe playing QB I hear?

2019 Allegany offense and defense - who do we have leading the charge for this year? My blue comrades are saying we have a strong senior class, so who's going to be making plays for us?

Between everyone on the board here, we should be able to get some good info here on our our teams are shaping up, and what names we need to keep our eyes out for. Have at it:
I would say Allegany has a stronger junior class then senior class

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Christian will be very similar to Robinette, the difference is Christian will have 2 good fast running backs with him. Christian was the fastest a few years ago, he has gotten big with muscle

Fort Hill will struggle early on the defensive side of the ball. They return no starters and only 1 or 2 juniors got significant reps during crunch time. The fact that they return every starting offensive linemen from last season except for 1 tackle will really help them early while the defense is finding it's way. Dont be surprised if they lose to Morgantown or Hollidaysburg.

Christian will be very similar to Robinette, the difference is Christian will have 2 good fast running backs with him. Christian was the fastest a few years ago, he has gotten big with muscle

Ugh... well, nobody wishes this year's team is equal to the Robinette team more than I do. But lest we forget the young man by the name of Llewellyn: against Dunbar he caught 4 passes for 86 yards and scored 4 straight touchdowns (7 yard run, and 8 yard pass, a 1 yard run and a 6 yard run). Llewellyn was key in the final drive against Dunbar to seal the win with two runs one of 12 yards and one of 10 yards. He had very good outside speed and great hands catching the football. Granted, Robinette's performance of 232 yards was the best running effort I have seen in high school, but surely having the outside speed of Llewellyn helped make that happen. If any of the other running backs this year are of his ability.... then, let's go Campers.

Also, the Robinette team had Bratton chucking the pigskin (he of baseball pitching scholarship). Allegany needs a similar quarterback, which to my humble opinion has been lacking since.

Last edited:
Ugh... well, nobody wishes this year's team is equal to the Robinette team more than I do. But lest we forget the young man by the name of Llewellyn: against Dunbar he caught 4 passes for 86 yards and scored 4 straight touchdowns (7 yard run, and 8 yard pass, a 1 yard run and a 6 yard run). Llewellyn was key in the final drive against Dunbar to seal the win with two runs one of 12 yards and one of 10 yards. He had very good outside speed and great hands catching the football. Granted, Robinette's performance of 232 yards was the best running effort I have seen in high school, but surely having the outside speed of Llewellyn helped make that happen. If any of the other running backs this year are of his ability.... then, let's go Campers.

Also, the Robinette team had Bratton chucking the pigskin (he of baseball pitching scholarship). Allegany needs a similar quarterback, which to my humble opinion has been lacking since.
Good kid played his pee wee and youth ball in frostburg.

Carson Snyder will be big on both sides of the ball bruiser of a full back solid line backer.

Fort Hill doesn't suit up players like you might put beans in a jar. They are athletes. Fort Hill will be strong on both sides of the line. They will put a team on the field from athletes who have been waiting their turn. Their defense may lack experience, but they do not lack talent and basis the competition, they still have a good chance of going undefeated.

Fort Hill will struggle early on the defensive side of the ball. They return no starters and only 1 or 2 juniors got significant reps during crunch time. The fact that they return every starting offensive linemen from last season except for 1 tackle will really help them early while the defense is finding it's way. Dont be surprised if they lose to Morgantown or Hollidaysburg.
There is one thing to think about that seems to get overlooked. There's often a reason why juniors don't always get a lot of playing time at FH. When they are seniors they have practiced against those pretty darn good players for an entire year and it prepares them to step into that role. I doubt they struggle. I will be surprised if they lose to Morgantown or Hollidaysburg, simply based on what they've been doing the past...well forever it seems.

There is one thing to think about that seems to get overlooked. There's often a reason why juniors don't always get a lot of playing time at FH. When they are seniors they have practiced against those pretty darn good players for an entire year and it prepares them to step into that role. I doubt they struggle. I will be surprised if they lose to Morgantown or Hollidaysburg, simply based on what they've been doing the past...well forever it seems.
Honestly these past few years more juniors have played significant roles than you may think. Last years team returned 5 or 6 kids on defense that had either started or played in significant portions of games as juniors. Sure practicing against those guys will help this years team, but there is a difference between practice and actually getting playing time in a tight football game.

Fort Hill doesn't suit up players like you might put beans in a jar. They are athletes. Fort Hill will be strong on both sides of the line. They will put a team on the field from athletes who have been waiting their turn. Their defense may lack experience, but they do not lack talent and basis the competition, they still have a good chance of going undefeated.
I agree with that he would've started for most teams as a junior. Front half of the schedule will be tough Hollidaysburg and Morgantown will be good games

Hollidaysburg was a young team last year and the game is up there good football atmosphere

Red you’ll never convince Laggy that Motown or holidaysburg are any good. They are big schools with solid programs. If Allegany has them on the schedule we would never hear the end of it about how tough alco’s Schedule is
...but they beat Dunbar.. and we lost so until we beat Dunbar they get a free pass.. not to bust lags balls but all blue balls...

Good stuff.. any idea what seniors and juniors on this years squad will be studs for us, including their positions?
Look for Welch, Fuzie and Powell to make big impacts. Starters will be very good. Depth will be the problem. Oneal, Baker, Susse (SP) will be big across the line.

Morgantown Possibly but Hollidaysburg is down and people around that area think they will be lucky to win 3 games.

Red you’ll never convince Laggy that Motown or holidaysburg are any good. They are big schools with solid programs. If Allegany has them on the schedule we would never hear the end of it about how tough alco’s Schedule is

Under Hansel, Allegany schedules teams early that can likely beat them. They schedule them early, no doubt, because Alco lacks any depth and if they scheduled those teams later the Campers would be battered and probably have a starter or two unable to play. (Can anybody say Homecoming?)

Fort Hill will not schedule a Meltdown game after having had a meltdown game. They will schedule likely wins just competitive enough to give its talented bench-riders, now starters, some experience for the season.

It is highly unlikely that FH will lose a game until the championship game and unlikely they will lose that. Of course, the exception may be Dunbar if it reloads to former status and gets to the final.

Morgantown will have their best team since 2004
Probably the 2nd best in WV
Martinsburg far and away the best
With Morgantown having 2 games under their belts before 9/6 at Parkersburg and at Bridgeport
Morgantown will have the kinks already worked out compared to only game 2 for Fort Hill
Games at Pony Lewis Field on the campus of Morgantown High
very tough place to play

Morgantown will have their best team since 2004
Probably the 2nd best in WV
Martinsburg far and away the best
With Morgantown having 2 games under their belts before 9/6 at Parkersburg and at Bridgeport
Morgantown will have the kinks already worked out compared to only game 2 for Fort Hill
Games at Pony Lewis Field on the campus of Morgantown High
very tough place to play
Was up there 2 years ago school wraps around the stadium

Carson Snyder will be big on both sides of the ball bruiser of a full back solid line backer.

I assume FH will go standard Win-T set on offense with Snyder at FB... who are the RB's, TE's and any WR's that will split out? Curious if anyone knows whether or not the offense will look any different at all compared to last year.

I assume FH will go standard Win-T set on offense with Snyder at FB... who are the RB's, TE's and any WR's that will split out? Curious if anyone knows whether or not the offense will look any different at all compared to last year.
Webb and Santmyire probably be at half back Metz at tight end maybe Smith at the split

The next stud def player in red will be a soph with the same last name as the head coach. Played last year before having season cUT short with shoulder type injury. Beast mode.

I've heard Appel is making Danny King play QB, even though King would rather focus on being the best K/P in the state... probably the region.

Hopefully this is just in practice. You know, you get some team that resents the score getting run up might take a cheap shot at your quarterback. What if they hit 'em low? The kid deserves the opportunity to maximize his talent, not plug a hole.

Hopefully this is just in practice. You know, you get some team that resents the score getting run up might take a cheap shot at your quarterback. What if they hit 'em low? The kid deserves the opportunity to maximize his talent, not plug a hole.
I absolutely agree. The only problem is that the hole at QB for this class of kids is pretty big one. The junior they'll have this year wasnt too bad at the Freshman or JV level so maybe they could plug him in. The other senior quarterback is apparently just not capable of doing that job. I understand why they would put King at QB, but dont fully agree with the decision.

I absolutely agree. The only problem is that the hole at QB for this class of kids is pretty big one. The junior they'll have this year wasnt too bad at the Freshman or JV level so maybe they could plug him in. The other senior quarterback is apparently just not capable of doing that job. I understand why they would put King at QB, but dont fully agree with the decision.
Take one of your running qb's and put them at qb, that's all they will do besides hand the ball off anyway.

Take one of your running qb's and put them at qb, that's all they will do besides hand the ball off anyway.

I agree with every one of you who say don't make King play QB. The kid has a future playing D1 football, and like Lags said, it'd be easy for some kid to take a shot at him for no good reason and jeopardize the kid's future.

Can't say I'm surprised here, though. I noted a few weeks back that while I admire and respect everything Appel does to run the FH program, he doesn't seem to help the kids with their futures who've helped him build his legacy. That's flat out wrong, no matter who you pull for, so don't even try the anti-FH crap. We had a problem with that at Alco too when I played there. It's been a Cumberland staple for decades.

A good friend told me when his kid started freshman ball for FH a few years ago, at the initial parents meeting, the first thing Appel said to everyone point-blank was that he will not do anything to promote your kid to colleges.

Oh ok, so my kid busts his ass for you for 4 years, helps you win state titles, our family dedicates time, effort and resources to help our kid help you, and you don't help our kid leverage his abilities to play in college and get a free or discounted education???

Calhoun had the same mindset, never helped in recruiting. Then again does the science or math instructors?

Always wished teams did this more often around here. Or at least, always thought they should. When FH did it with one of the twins a little while back I thought it was brilliant. With the misdirection and fakes in wing t plays, having the quarterback keep it and run can be hard to defend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagmeister
Calhoun had the same mindset, never helped in recruiting. Then again does the science or math instructors?

Exactly, it's been a Cumberland thing going back as far as I've been hearing Cumberland football stories.

Fair point about the teachers.. but the market for top math and science students isn't as hyped or as visible the one for college football. Plus, how many classroom teachers get calls from college professors or department chairs asking who their top students are that would make sense for institutional and/or departmental academic scholarships?

Gotta throw this one to James Caan as Coach Winters in The Program:

Regent Chairman: "This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning."

Sam Winters: "Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?” :p

Was at the FH youth camp yesterday. This might be the most physically imposing team I have seen in a while. Wow, they have some big kids. Not just tall and big, but washboard stomachs and guns. Quite a few imposing 6'5, 6'4, 6'3, and 6'2 players legitimately. This is the first I have seen them since football season ended.

Fun watching Danny King boot some field goals, punts and kickoffs over top the whole group of kids. They were all like, ewwwwwww man. Saw Danny at deep safety. I'm not going to speculate on the QB situation but it would not suprise me to see Danny in the secondary. He is an amazing talent outside of just kicking actually. He too has gotten much bigger. Must be the water in the drinking fountains.

Last edited:
Exactly, it's been a Cumberland thing going back as far as I've been hearing Cumberland football stories.

Fair point about the teachers.. but the market for top math and science students isn't as hyped or as visible the one for college football. Plus, how many classroom teachers get calls from college professors or department chairs asking who their top students are that would make sense for institutional and/or departmental academic scholarships?

Gotta throw this one to James Caan as Coach Winters in The Program:

Regent Chairman: "This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning."

Sam Winters: "Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?” :p

but the market for top math and science students isn't as hyped or as visible the one for college football

Consider the odds for success.

Reactions: redtheperson
I agree with every one of you who say don't make King play QB. The kid has a future playing D1 football, and like Lags said, it'd be easy for some kid to take a shot at him for no good reason and jeopardize the kid's future.

Can't say I'm surprised here, though. I noted a few weeks back that while I admire and respect everything Appel does to run the FH program, he doesn't seem to help the kids with their futures who've helped him build his legacy. That's flat out wrong, no matter who you pull for, so don't even try the anti-FH crap. We had a problem with that at Alco too when I played there. It's been a Cumberland staple for decades.

A good friend told me when his kid started freshman ball for FH a few years ago, at the initial parents meeting, the first thing Appel said to everyone point-blank was that he will not do anything to promote your kid to colleges.

Oh ok, so my kid busts his ass for you for 4 years, helps you win state titles, our family dedicates time, effort and resources to help our kid help you, and you don't help our kid leverage his abilities to play in college and get a free or discounted education???

...he will not do anything to promote your kid to colleges....

....he doesn't seem to help the kids with their futures....

.... Nor does he seem to mind endangering their futures either, as with young King.

Always wished teams did this more often around here. Or at least, always thought they should. When FH did it with one of the twins a little while back I thought it was brilliant. With the misdirection and fakes in wing t plays, having the quarterback keep it and run can be hard to defend.
Lil clay bro playing qb opened up the qb fake (well his legs opened things up) but it worked, if I remember right didnt the other qb fumble the ball like 12 times that season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT