ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Western MD Football Schedules

While Williamsport is definitely not a top notched program, one would have to agree that they are a better team then Frederick, Capitol Christian or Brunswick. These before mentioned teams were replaced with Boonsboro, Dunbar and Williamsport, definitely a schedule upgrade.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Geesh, whats that say about past area schedules when we are touting Williamsport as "definitely a schedule upgrade."?

By this assessment every team from Washington County to Garret County and all points nearby in WV and PA suck other than Martinsburg. Is there one single team in Washington County that meets the approval of savage? What the South Rebs? Are any Berkeley or Jefferson County teams worthy other than the Dogs?

Yea we get it. Football and basketball sucks around here.

Last edited:
Just saying compared to Capitol Christian, Brunswick and Frederick Williamsport is an upgrade. Did you read what it said, compared to these three schools it is an upgrade.

Also the three mentioned schools that Allegany played last year had combined for 5 wins. Williamsport had that many alone. So just saying it is an upgrade, anyone should be able to agree with that

By this assessment every team from Washington County to Garret County and all points nearby in WV and PA suck other than Martinsburg. Is there one single team in Washington County that meets the approval of savage? What the South Rebs? Are any Berkeley or Jefferson County teams worthy other than the Dogs?

Yea we get it. Football and basketball sucks around here.

Washington and Garret County do suck. So no there is NOT one single team in Washington or Garrett County that meets my approval. I can't believe you even have to ask that question. Berkeley County outside of Martinsburg you have Mussleman. The rest suck as far as Jefferson County, you must not watch very much area football, if you have to ask about Jefferson County football. As far as "all points nearby in WV and Pa" You have Ligonier Valley 14-1 60 miles away who FH played a few years back, Bishop Guilfoyle 15-0 in Altoona which is roughly 60 miles away and you have Greater Johnstown 12-2 a little over 60 miles away. In WV you have Morgantown, Bridgeport and of course Martinsburg who strike fear in the hearts of men. All those teams less than 2 hrs away. So to answer your question, yeah there are teams in nearby wv and pa that don't suck. But you can't make them wait a week before getting back to them like FH did Middleton b/c they were scared of a little competition...

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyznBlue
Washington and Garret County do suck. So no there is NOT one single team in Washington County that meets my approval. I can't believe you even have to ask that question. Berkeley County outside of Martinsburg you have Mussleman. The rest suck as far as Jefferson County, you must not watch very much area football, if you have to ask about Jefferson County football. As far as "all points nearby in WV and Pa" You have Ligonier Valley 14-1 60 miles away who FH played a few years back, Bishop Guilfoyle 15-0 in Altoona which is roughly 60 miles away and you have Greater Johnstown 12-2 a little over 60 miles away. In WV you have Morgantown, Bridgeport and of course Martinsburg who strike fear in the hearts of men. All those teams less than 2 hrs away. So to answer your question, yeah there are teams in nearby wv and pa that don't suck. But you can't make them wait a week before getting back to them like FH did Middleton b/c they were scared of a little competition...

I know this will come as a great shock to you, but whether or not a schedule meets your approval is of no concern to the AD's in this area.

I know this will come as a great shock to you, but whether or not a schedule meets your approval is of no concern to the AD's in this area.

This may come as a "great shock" to your dumb ass but I just wasn't simply offering my approval. I was responding to BrianH1974 asking me, "Is there one single team in Washington County that meets the approval of savage? Are any Berkeley or Jefferson County teams worthy other than the Dogs? " Read the quote, thats if you can actually read goober...

Last edited:
Dunbar is an upgrade, I agree with that. Sandwiching the other 8 games between Dunbar and FH is a good way to make an okay schedule look a lot better.

I mean hey I always thought Chestnut Ridge was a decent opponent, but they aren't a top 50 Maryland team. Nor is anyone else on that schedule. But for MOST 1A schools, I agree, that's a "perfect" 1A schedule.

Sucks to have what some consider a decent schedule torn apart, doesn't it?

Fort Hill could have that SAME exact schedule and that's what would be said about it. So yeah, I am being a bit pissy about it. I guess I should take that as a compliment to how good FH is that this would be called an easy schedule for them, but that's never how it's presented.

Dunbar is an upgrade, I agree with that. Sandwiching the other 8 games between Dunbar and FH is a good way to make an okay schedule look a lot better.

I mean hey I always thought Chestnut Ridge was a decent opponent, but they aren't a top 50 Maryland team. Nor is anyone else on that schedule. But for MOST 1A schools, I agree, that's a "perfect" 1A schedule.

Sucks to have what some consider a decent schedule torn apart, doesn't it?

Fort Hill could have that SAME exact schedule and that's what would be said about it. So yeah, I am being a bit pissy about it. I guess I should take that as a compliment to how good FH is that this would be called an easy schedule for them, but that's never how it's presented.

I'll say the same thing about Alco as I've been saying about other local schools, it's a smart strategic schedule. They test themselves without scheduling themselves out of the playoffs.

I'll say the same thing about Alco as I've been saying about other local schools, it's a smart strategic schedule. They test themselves without scheduling themselves out of the playoffs.

If you think that's HOW you say it about other "local schools" then you have a bit of a disconnect from what you say, and what you think you say.

Just sayin'.

If you think that's HOW you say it about other "local schools" then you have a bit of a disconnect from what you say, and what you think you say.

Just sayin'.

Everything here is on record. Go back and READ what I've WRITTEN. I've used the term "smart" about 100 times. "Just saying"

Last edited:
Issues with schedules are really issues with the system. Just hard for some to see. Schedules are dictated by the system.

Will the state starting school after Labor Day have any effects on these schedules? Will Schools still be able to play Week 1 on 9/1?

Alegany County schools will start 8/29. An exemption from the Annapolis.

Alegany County schools will start 8/29. An exemption from the Annapolis.
That's why I am asking....Allegany County isn't going to have a different football schedule than the rest of the state right?

Actually we had issues getting a second scrimmage with a team from Baltimore County due to the post-Labor Day school start there. They could not give us a commitment until their County Board worked out details. That made no sense to me. Basically since school opening was pushed back the county was trying to decide when the first day of practice would be. The MPSSAA is clear that August 9 is the first day of practice. It is up to each individual county to determine anything later than that. That would also apply to the first play date, which is September 1 in Maryland. If some MD County wanted to push that back their team would only be playing 9 games because the last play date is November 4.

It would not shock me if one of our Quad teams told us at some point they cannot scrimmage on August 19 due to the post-Labor Day start. I freaking hate this state.

Rules to protect the kids playing are one thing, but this state always tries to go too far! The MPSSAA needs to be reworked from top to bottom! There should be ways of helping the scheduling nightmares you guys go through every season! It's getting more difficult every year too!

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Actually we had issues getting a second scrimmage with a team from Baltimore County due to the post-Labor Day school start there. They could not give us a commitment until their County Board worked out details. That made no sense to me. Basically since school opening was pushed back the county was trying to decide when the first day of practice would be. The MPSSAA is clear that August 9 is the first day of practice. It is up to each individual county to determine anything later than that. That would also apply to the first play date, which is September 1 in Maryland. If some MD County wanted to push that back their team would only be playing 9 games because the last play date is November 4.

It would not shock me if one of our Quad teams told us at some point they cannot scrimmage on August 19 due to the post-Labor Day start. I freaking hate this state.

Out of sheer curiosity TD, who is the Bmore County school you tried to scrimmage? If you don't want to say due to the fact you couldn't come to an agreement, no biggie. Just familiar with that area of football and of course curious

Out of sheer curiosity TD, who is the Bmore County school you tried to scrimmage? If you don't want to say due to the fact you couldn't come to an agreement, no biggie. Just familiar with that area of football and of course curious

New Town
They could not make a commitment until Baltimore County cleared start dates. This was about 10 days ago. FH received a commitment from someone else at that point and we said thanks but we filled it instead of waiting. Their Coach Garner understood. The way he put it...if schools start after Labor Day for Baltimore County, they may push the start of summer camp for football back. Which from his understanding will change dates available for scrimmages. That doesn't make sense to me for a second scrimmage that was to be held late August. Now an earlier scrimmage like on August 19 could definitely be affected.

I personally don't see why football camp dates should be pushed back even if school is pushed back. That part is stupid but left up to each county. However, I've said before that the MPSSAA does none of its schools any favors. There is absolutely no one to scrimmage August 26 weekend for any MPSSAA school other than another MPSSAA school. All other states and private schools have real games that weekend. I know schedule haters like to beat up logical reasons as excuses for not playing teams, but it makes no sense for any MPSSAA school to pick up a very competitive private school or team from another state for Week 1 that already has a game under their belt as well as 2 extra weeks of practice. Week 2 that's fine as FH has always played Keyser that week for example. Even though Keyser has an extra game and extra practice in, at least you get a game under your belt before having to tackle Keyser. But FH would not wish to open with Keyser for that same reason.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
New Town
They could not make a commitment until Baltimore County cleared start dates. This was about 10 days ago. FH received a commitment from someone else at that point and we said thanks but we filled it instead of waiting. Their Coach Garner understood. The way he put it...if schools start after Labor Day for Baltimore County, they may push the start of summer camp for football back. Which from his understanding will change dates available for scrimmages. That doesn't make sense to me for a second scrimmage that was to be held late August. Now an earlier scrimmage like on August 19 could definitely be affected.

I personally don't see why football camp dates should be pushed back even if school is pushed back. That part is stupid but left up to each county. However, I've said before that the MPSSAA does none of its schools any favors. There is absolutely no one to scrimmage August 26 weekend for any MPSSAA school other than another MPSSAA school. All other states and private schools have real games that weekend. I know schedule haters like to beat up logical reasons as excuses for not playing teams, but it makes no sense for any MPSSAA school to pick up a very competitive private school or team from another state for Week 1 that already has a game under their belt as well as 2 extra weeks of practice. Week 2 that's fine as FH has always played Keyser that week for example. Even though Keyser has an extra game and extra practice in, at least you get a game under your belt before having to tackle Keyser. But FH would not wish to open with Keyser for that same reason.

I'm not sure when school ever started after Labor Day in Bmore County. When I was in elementary/middle school in the city we always went back the day after Labor Day, then went I got into high school (county) we always went back around the last monday of august, usually the 26-29th. I haven't heard anything about them starting school a week later now. Sounds weird to me, maybe fear of getting their head stomped in, bcuz that is exactly what would happen lol. Also in Bmore County, tryouts or for some summer camps/practice started around august 15th. A scrimmage was played a week after that, and one the following week around 5 days later. You'd still get two scrimmages in a week before the season started.

All of that has changed. You must not have read the Maryland news lately. Schools will start now after Labor Day unless given an exemption such as the one Allegany County just received. Practice dates now start August 9, not August 15 due to heat acclimatization safety rules.

Yup, that's new to me. They didn't put to much emphasis on the safety of players due to heat 6 years ago

LOL. Man, they didn't even give us water to drink at August practice when I played.

The heat rules that were put into place back in 2012 were a really good move. They just had to move the practice start date up to accommodate it. Basically the first week kids can't have on a full uniform in the heat until their body adjusts. The first like 8-9 days there can be no contact. Smart move actually.

2012 was just after my days lol...on another note, FH needs one more game, a home game right? Can you share the three teams that have been added since FH last had four spots to fill? Or am i incorrect in saying they only need 1 more game...

Reactions: Mdfootball12
All of that has changed. You must not have read the Maryland news lately. Schools will start now after Labor Day unless given an exemption such as the one Allegany County just received. Practice dates now start August 9, not August 15 due to heat acclimatization safety rules.

Not to get too far off-topic, but the schools are starting after Labor Day not because of health reasons but for financial reasons. The county exec from the Eastern Shore got Hogan to push the first day of school back because it gives Ocean City another two weeks of vacationing families spending money at the beaches.

Not to get too far off-topic, but the schools are starting after Labor Day not because of health reasons but for financial reasons. The county exec from the Eastern Shore got Hogan to push the first day of school back because it gives Ocean City another two weeks of vacationing families spending money at the beaches.
Correct. The subject was bought up though as to how it affects practice start dates for high school sports. I don't see how it should but that's not how it goes. Allegany County will start classes August 29 citing too many snow days that need to be made up at the end of school year. They received an exemption. Garrett County soon to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT