ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Championship Predictions

Not just anyone can go to Dunbar. You have to be accepted.

“Dunbar High School is a magnet school, offering biotechnology, emergency medical technology (EMT), accounting, nursing, and health care delivery systems programs.”

You can live right next to Dunbar high school and be turned away as a student.

I’m not complaining in the least. It doesn’t change what needs to be done on game day. I am merely just stating the facts. When you control who can come to your school you can also control your enrollment numbers.

Yeah, technically this is true. But this policy is often used (or ignored) to get players in school. Dunbar isn't going to turn away a star QB, they will figure out a way to get them in. In Moco they have some consortium system that was being abused by coaches.

This isn't quite the same thing, but DeMatha (and some other private schools) don't technically offer athletic scholarships. They do offer "need based" financial help. And you better believe if a great player wants to go there the admin will get them a scholarship.

Yeah, technically this is true. But this policy is often used (or ignored) to get players in school. Dunbar isn't going to turn away a star QB, they will figure out a way to get them in. In Moco they have some consortium system that was being abused by coaches.

This isn't quite the same thing, but DeMatha (and some other private schools) don't technically offer athletic scholarships. They do offer "need based" financial help. And you better believe if a great player wants to go there the admin will get them a scholarship.
I agree on all points. If they want you bad enough, they will make it happen. Better believe that.

Yes, I could see that. Almost as many complaints as how refs give FH an unfair advantage every time they win a big game at Greenway. LOL.

The recruiting tag is very misleading as I believe most HS coaches don't recruit, they don't have to. It goes along with the old saying "build it and they will come."

A school builds a great program whether it be Fort Hill, Martinsburg, Dunbar or any school in any state, in any sport. The next step is once success is established as that many sports-crazed parents want their kids to play for the best, plain and simple. America loves sports but more than that loves winners in sports.

They will move, play out of district and do whatever it takes to jump on the bandwagon of success. The program builds and the monster continues to get fed. Don't always blame the coaches as sometimes their ability to coach and build a program welcomes more of this, it's not their fault.

My observation at this has been a fairly recent trend seen more and more in the last 10-15 years and parents have become more controlling in their kids endeavors. I'm not saying I like it or it's fair but it happens all over.

Around here we have kids who have been playing together since they could play. I’d love to know how many kids in all schools similar to Dunbar’s situation that have played together like that prior to their Junior or Senior year. Or to see how often their roster actually changes year to year or even from beginning of regular season to end of regular season.

The recruiting tag is very misleading as I believe most HS coaches don't recruit, they don't have to. It goes along with the old saying "build it and they will come."

A school builds a great program whether it be Fort Hill, Martinsburg, Dunbar or any school in any state, in any sport. The next step is once success is established as that many sports-crazed parents want their kids to play for the best, plain and simple. America loves sports but more than that loves winners in sports.

They will move, play out of district and do whatever it takes to jump on the bandwagon of success. The program builds and the monster continues to get fed. Don't always blame the coaches as sometimes their ability to coach and build a program welcomes more of this, it's not their fault.

My observation at this has been a fairly recent trend seen more and more in the last 10-15 years and parents have become more controlling in their kids endeavors. I'm not saying I like it or it's fair but it happens all over.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that those schools do recruit. I'm saying that with success will come those kind of accusations. FH has built a solid program winning consistently for many years - of course it's not because of the refs. The same is true with Dunbar, QO and Wise. I don't think those schools recruit at all. I was talking to the AD at Wise they brought in 2 players over the summer, both legit transfers (their families moved to the jurisdiction). But of course the perception still exists because they win every year.

I too get tired of the bitching about Dunbar. This week I've heard or read the dumbest shit ever. People saying Dunbar has added players. Bullshit. Enough with that talk. It's the same players Alco played.

Reactions: camper21502
I haven’t seen anyone “bitching” about Dunbar. Been some pretty good discussions about scheduling and football for once though.

Teams do recruit down the Bmore area and they will try with all their might. There was a huge rumor going around that Steven Smothers wasn’t zoned for Franklin and played peewee ball at Pikesville. That’s neither here nor there and it doesn’t bother me personally, but Dunbarvisnt the only school in the metro area with such accusations. I played with a kid who’s little brother played a few years after I was gone. He said Milford Mill was texting his little brother telling him to come play for them. I’ve always went off the saying believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, but that doesn’t go without saying. Some schools abuse the system for sure. Either way I intend to see a good game, and I’ll be there.

However, there’s a big difference between Baltimore City and Western Maryland, specifically Allegany County. If a player wants to jump ship in Allegany County they will have to sit out a year. In Baltimore City you can play for four different high schools in four years. Also, the players you are referring to this year at FH and Alco have never jumped ship, whether or not they live in or out of district.

I myself kind of get sick hearing the whining about Dunbar. I do have a disdain for Dunbar like others, but don’t discount the fact that they have to deal with St. Francis Academy who shares the same practice field with them recruiting their players, as well as Gilman, Mount St. Joseph, Calvert Hall and whatever other private schools as well as public schools that are near them. One of the Baltimore Douglass teams FH beat had eight or nine former Dunbar players on it from what I was told. I don’t remember hearing any complaining then about that because FH won.

Just beat them. Fort Hill has beat them before and played toe-to-toe with one of the best Dunbar teams ever, and Alco beat them this year whether it was in week one or week ten, it doesn’t matter.
It all comes down to how you take a loss. Are you a good sport or not? Can you recognize somebody beat you and just congratulate them and try to get better, or do you have to justify getting beat with a tired old worn out excuse.

Since FH can not take the FH refs with them.....Dunbar 42-FH31

I will call this out as an idiotic hater comment. Not suprisingly Boyz liked the comment. What a joke. I think that since it will not be local refs FH has the advantage. Local refs hesitate on calling holdings until it is blatant and happening every play and let incoming teams get away with a lot.

Are these the same FH refs that did the Allegany /Southern game who did nothing when "it" happened?
Funny, those damn FH refs could learn a lot from Washington Co. refs when the same incident occurred.
Is Brad Wilt a FH ref when his son Caleb played last year for Allegany?

Reactions: towpath94
I don't think we have hometown refs but I will admit it looks bad when some of the FH fans on here know the refs by name lol.. Most ppl only know them as zebras.. Money316 knows every local ref by first and last name..

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyznBlue
All I'm gonna say is, with all the $$$$$$$ the gate has brought in over the last few weeks at these playoff games, regardless of where the refs are coming from, they're all gonna have a "FAT or PHAT"(which ever you prefer) Christmas!!!!!!!! ............. on another note, dress warm, it gets cold in that stadium when sun goes down!

I will call this out as an idiotic hater comment. Not suprisingly Boyz liked the comment. What a joke. I think that since it will not be local refs FH has the advantage. Local refs hesitate on calling holdings until it is blatant and happening every play and let incoming teams get away with a lot.

So according to your logic local refs give the visiting teams the advantage? This may be the most ridiculous comment in the history of MD Varsity message board, lol.

In" my " opinion, absolutely {a couple} of the local refs are more apt to be more critical of local teams (Alco and Fort Hill), again "my" opinion and I don't have a problem with it , as long as their consistent. And I'm sure where ever you go you're always gonna have that issue, regardless of what county your team plays in. I think the refs in the last playoff game was pretty decent.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
So according to your logic local refs give the visiting teams the advantage? This may be the most ridiculous comment in the history of MD Varsity message board, lol.

MCSoccerplex has actually posted (several times) over the last few years empirical evidence that shows local schools do not show any specific advantage of getting calls.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
MCSoccerplex has actually posted (several times) over the last few years empirical evidence that shows local schools do not show any specific advantage of getting calls.

Right, I'm sure the 21 penalties called against Melbourne won't be included in the "empirical evidence" lol

Be clear I said the "perception" of bias by local refs. And if you read everything I've written here I said whining about the refs is the same thing as whining about recruiting, and they both amount to sour grapes.

Reactions: OneRing
Again with the 21 MCC penalties number, which is incorrect. 19 penalties and FH had 9.

Dunbar has 6 seniors on the roster that werennt on the roster last year. They recruit in addition to just taking on transfers. They have access to the whole city if Baltimore. Yet they like FH are nothing more than benefactors of playing 1A ball. The Poets spent 4 years in 2A and got squat. In that time FH won it all at 1A.

FH refs suck and yes many team thru the years have complained about it. It all is what it is.

If anything, the refs went easy on MCC, don't know if people didn't review the films or what. It was apparent they weren't used to highschool refs, cause they was committing penalty after penalty like it was peewee, don't get me wrong, very athletic talented team. Surprised with all the fouls they committed.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I don't think we have hometown refs but I will admit it looks bad when some of the FH fans on here know the refs by name lol.. Most ppl only know them as zebras.. Money316 knows every local ref by first and last name..
You follow Cumberland football and don't know the refs names?
Greg Fansler, Jimmy Phillips, Chuck McMullan, Jimmy Holler, Kenny Johnson & Brad Wilt. That's all I got..

And he went ape because Jim Holler said "flag" one time during a game.

You follow Cumberland football and don't know the refs names?
Greg Fansler, Jimmy Phillips, Chuck McMullan, Jimmy Holler, Kenny Johnson & Brad Wilt. That's all I got..
Yes I've followed local football over 20 yrs. and cannot name one refs name lol.. You know them because you write them checks lol..

10 years later and you guys are the same. First just wanna say I really enjoyed myself at Greenway earlier this year. Thanks for the western love. Now that we have that out the way, Dunbar actual lost 8 players to private schools. In addition to your incorrect accusations, Dunbar has only 3 players that didnt come in as a freshman. Dunbar has 3 peat in JV and honestly... honestly the last 2 freshman classes is who you should fear. With that being said... Its not the same as western MD, but Dunbar has its own issues that much different.

Again with the 21 MCC penalties number, which is incorrect. 19 penalties and FH had 9.

Dunbar has 6 seniors on the roster that werennt on the roster last year. They recruit in addition to just taking on transfers. They have access to the whole city if Baltimore. Yet they like FH are nothing more than benefactors of playing 1A ball. The Poets spent 4 years in 2A and got squat. In that time FH won it all at 1A.

FH refs suck and yes many team thru the years have complained about it. It all is what it is.

I have asked the people on this board numerous times (who are so connected) to produce the actual box score from the game. I've still never seen it. Evidently whoever keeps stats for Fort Hill calculated it 21-4. The Mike Burke Times-News story, which is at the minimum unbiased and probably leans towards FH, has 21 penalties called against Melbourne.

http://www.times-news.com/sports/lo...cle_23e001ae-b19d-11e7-95b3-4ff24cc2e8a4.html

This game comes down to just a few things..

Dunbar and Fort know each other very very well. Dunbar has had a ton of time to prepare and readjust after giving up +500 yards of rushing to Allegany wing T. Alco is more athletic, but FH is bigger and stronger. Styles make fights. On defense, Dunbar has to control A gap with the inside trap. The LBs can not get caught in the window dressing and must simply do their job. After FH checks your gangster in the interior they hit you with jet or belly.. Here's where I cringe. Dunbar can not allow their edges to get molested all game..at the same time they can not over pursue the edge to D, giving an alley to turn up, where its the S making too many tackles. If the safety has as many tackles as the LB, the TE for FH in their waggle will be WIDE OPEN.

On offense Dunbar is gonna be Dunbar and spread FH out. I know the DC for FH has been sweating because he knows he doesn't have 1 player that can assist if #2 or #3 or #11 get in space. Now to their advantage they played against 2 very athletic Spread teams, but struggled. They are going to stick to their guns of playing mostly man and going cover 3 with a few blitzes. Their hope is to create 1 or 2 turnovers and capitalize with long methodical drives.

Here's the game.. Dunbar is gonna struggle against the wing t. Their struggle can not be gashes of 30 yd bust outs. Dunbar is Not FC but they can force a few stops.. And Dunbar has to convert on about 2-3 and put FH on their heels to play a game they don't wanna play, which is relying on their QB to rush and pass.

I see this game going 3 ways buy hoping for 2. First one, Dunbar doesn't convert on stops and the game being very close to the last drive and Dunbar winning by a touchdown or FH kicking a field goal (the horror) or 3rd Dunbar winning by 2 TDs or more because they pulled away early and forced FH out of their game plan.

I think Dunbar wins by 5 pts..

Extra points will be HUGE.

26-21 Dunbar

38-21 Dunbar

18-20 FH

This game comes down to just a few things..

Dunbar and Fort know each other very very well. Dunbar has had a ton of time to prepare and readjust after giving up +500 yards of rushing to Allegany wing T. Alco is more athletic, but FH is bigger and stronger. Styles make fights. On defense, Dunbar has to control A gap with the inside trap. The LBs can not get caught in the window dressing and must simply do their job. After FH checks your gangster in the interior they hit you with jet or belly.. Here's where I cringe. Dunbar can not allow their edges to get molested all game..at the same time they can not over pursue the edge to D, giving an alley to turn up, where its the S making too many tackles. If the safety has as many tackles as the LB, the TE for FH in their waggle will be WIDE OPEN.

On offense Dunbar is gonna be Dunbar and spread FH out. I know the DC for FH has been sweating because he knows he doesn't have 1 player that can assist if #2 or #3 or #11 get in space. Now to their advantage they played against 2 very athletic Spread teams, but struggled. They are going to stick to their guns of playing mostly man and going cover 3 with a few blitzes. Their hope is to create 1 or 2 turnovers and capitalize with long methodical drives.

Here's the game.. Dunbar is gonna struggle against the wing t. Their struggle can not be gashes of 30 yd bust outs. Dunbar is Not FC but they can force a few stops.. And Dunbar has to convert on about 2-3 and put FH on their heels to play a game they don't wanna play, which is relying on their QB to rush and pass.

I see this game going 3 ways buy hoping for 2. First one, Dunbar doesn't convert on stops and the game being very close to the last drive and Dunbar winning by a touchdown or FH kicking a field goal (the horror) or 3rd Dunbar winning by 2 TDs or more because they pulled away early and forced FH out of their game plan.

I think Dunbar wins by 5 pts..

Extra points will be HUGE.

26-21 Dunbar

38-21 Dunbar

18-20 FH
One question. What do you mean by Dunbar has had time to prepare and readjust after giving up 500 yards? They've seen Allegany before, they've seen FH many times, why were they not prepared or need readjusting, was it the Wing-T or were there just players that were replaced because they weren't any good? okay, that is more than one question, but you get it.
A lot of people say when you haven't seen the wing-t or played against it you just don't know what to do. That is not the situation with Dunbar, IMHO.

I think meth gave a good pre-analysis of the game. Nothing surprising but more details than I would give. I think it comes down to turnovers. If FH does not turn the ball over and gets the hell out of the way on punts that should not be fielded then FH wins. Dunbar will score but so will FH’s offense. FH should not kick towards Dunbar’s kick returners on kickoffs if the kicker cannot guarantee a TB.

Pop passes, quick slants, wr screens. Anything to get 8-9 out the box. 1 thing that drives me nuts about Allegany and Fort Hill is they wait un til obvious passing downs then want to throw for 50 yards. With these city Schools those long bombs ARE NOT GOING TO WORK. The ball is in the air to long with to much defensive speed. Hell how often does it work on local teams?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT