ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with Archbishop Curley athlete Amari Gardner

Maryland Varsity

Jul 18, 2013
What have you been doing as of late with off-season workouts?
“I’ve been doing a lot of weight and speed training as of right now for off season workouts. I’ve been attending camps and getting exposure trying to perfect my craft. I’ve been taking time to myself to get better as well as time with friends to make each other better.”

What do you feel you have improved on most since last football season?
“My confidence at this position has grown tremendously. I was originally a receiver going into high school, and after freshman year’s short season I got moved up to varsity. They put me at free safety, and I fell in love with it, so I have no problem with playing both. This year you will see me on both sides of the ball. Also, my IQ for the game has grown tremendously as a defensive player. I’m able to understand different coverages and things I didn’t know before.”

How do you feel your team will do next football season?
“Our goal is to win the MIAA B conference championship. Anything other than that is a failure. I’m looking forward to this upcoming season with my guys.”

What team do you feel will be the toughest competition on your schedule?
“Even though Loyola isn’t on our regular season schedule, we are still scrimmaging them. So I think they will give us great competitiveness. Along with St. Mary’s who we play on homecoming.”

Who is the toughest individual player your team will face off against?
“Josh Derry, Number 10 from Loyola, those are good players [but] nothing we as a defense can’t handle.”

Do you want to play sports in college? If so, which one?
“I want to get division 1 offers after this season and continue on to my senior season. I plan on playing for a high-profile football team in college.”

What colleges have been recruiting you?
“Maryland (Coach Thompson) [and] Murray State (Yon Boone). I have interest from a good amount of schools, I wouldn’t say they are too in deep with recruiting me yet because of certain rules that are in place.”

What school is recruiting you the hardest?
“Maryland.”

Have you made any college trips yet?
“Maryland, Penn State, Delaware, UCF, NC A&T, Michigan State.”

Do you have plans for more trips soon?
“Yes of course.”

What camps are you planning to do this summer?
“I haven’t fully decided on which ones I’m going to but I know for sure I’m going to the Maryland one. Penn State [I’m] most likely going to [as well as] Cincy, UNC, Rutgers, Delaware, and Duke. It’s more that I would like to attend to show my abilities.”

Did you have a favorite college growing up?
“Yes. Florida State, but as I grew up they fell off [and I] started liking other teams.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News