ADVERTISEMENT

The Super Bowl will only be televised on streaming service

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
ESPN and FOX PARTNER TO CREATE STREAMING SERVICE FOR ALL EVENTS

Link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/06/espn-fox-warner-new-sports-streaming-service/

In a very short time the Super Bowl, and all the world's biggest events, will only be available on a streaming subscription platform. If the Dolphins vs. Chiefs NFL playoff game this year on Peacock TV STREAMING ONLY did not alert longtime cable/satellite users as to what's coming down the pike quickly, don't fret. You will be forced to find what most of us already know, like it or not. If you are one of those threatening to never watch the NFL again because it's streaming only, plan on never watching any sport again.

The MLB, NBA, NHL and College Football Playoffs are all committed to putting their post-season on these streaming services after ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. have just announced they will launch a sports streaming service. Yea, when adversaries like ESPN and FOX partner for a new adventure it's big. The way you watched TV your entire life will be over soon.

ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNews, ABC, Fox, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS and truTV will all be bundled. But many of the biggest events will be streaming service only like Peacock did with the NFL. Or like ESPN Plus is currently doing and pushing forward aggressively.

Personally, it's better to pay $100 picking the channels I want to watch as opposed to paying more than twice that for 300 channels I never watch. Customers can now get access to events that were never available before On Demand -- which means what I want to watch when I want to watch it. The adverse part is witnessing the older generation try to figure out the technical aspects. It's not rocket science but can be challenging at first for a novice. It's the resistance to learn/change that usually throws new users off.

There are many streaming IPTV providers out there already that cost under $20 a month to get every channel, streaming network, movie and series under the sun. It's still a mystery why some people are fearful of making the switch from having a coaxial cable go from their wall to the TV set to having wireless internet TV. All while continuing to pay $250 a month for that channel limited old cable/satellite service. Again, it won't be long until everyone is forced to switch. High speed internet will be a necessity just like paying for a telephone 40 years ago. The internet speed is where the money will also flow. But most folks already have and pay for internet speed.

A ton of people still exist that swore they would never own a cell phone. Here comes internet television (IPTV) in the same fashion.

Last edited:
In terms of high school sports, I think streaming has contributed to the noticeable decline of in person attendance at games. When I went to Linganore, you either came to the game in person or you didn't see it all. Now you have the NFHS Network or YouTube live streaming nearly every game for every sport, you have plenty of other options. I used to attend every single football game, rain or shine. You aren't going to see me sitting out in the rain anymore, unless it's against Urbana, I'll stream it on the NFHS Network from the dryness of my couch. I feel bad about giving my money to the NFHS and not the school itself, but what can I say, we are creatures of comfort!

In terms of high school sports, I think streaming has contributed to the noticeable decline of in person attendance at games. When I went to Linganore, you either came to the game in person or you didn't see it all. Now you have the NFHS Network or YouTube live streaming nearly every game for every sport, you have plenty of other options. I used to attend every single football game, rain or shine. You aren't going to see me sitting out in the rain anymore, unless it's against Urbana, I'll stream it on the NFHS Network from the dryness of my couch. I feel bad about giving my money to the NFHS and not the school itself, but what can I say, we are creatures of comfort!
Ha! Do you remember a time when bowl game invites were based on ticket sales and how many people your team could put in the seats? Long gone.

TV contracts run sports. Attendance is almost irrelevant today. That's why we are about to have a P2 set up in college football. The Big 10/SEC league will have their own 40 team playoff and the rest will do as they see fit (see television contracts).

NFHS Network peak revenue was $7.4M in 2022.
Using robot cameras.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT