ADVERTISEMENT

Daddy ball on the hill

Jul 30, 2015
Anybody check out the baseball scrimmages yesterday. Holy hell daddyball is back and stronger then ever. Maybe jumping to conclusions. i dont know.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dwj21
If a kid is good and can play then it doesn't matter that daddy is on the staff. If the kid is so so then the daddy will look like an idiot __AND___put unnecessary pressure on his kid. it's a lose lose situation. Time will tell. I've seen some dads do some rotten stuff like fix scorebooks and pay more attention to their own than they do the team. I've seen this destroy team culture. My advice to head coaches out there,,,, don't hire daddys to your staff. More than not they become agenda driven pertaining to their kid and lose sight of the mission which is to win and develop players. IMHO.....

Reactions: 2With and ravemwp
Absolute truth. I would advise not to coach your own child after a certain age. Its different if a child grows to play for an already established coach, but to create a parent/child coaching situation on purpose will almost always not end well.

Reactions: 2With
I’m sure there is already chatter among parents and the team. Unfortunate as I am hoping Tanner turns the program around. I’m rooting for him. How many daddys are coaching?

While I agree that coaching your own kid isn’t the best option for the kid I have to give this situation a little different perspective. This is a program that has had a losing season for many years. Previous staffs haven’t put the work in required to turn it around and make a difference. There is no feeder programs like there are with FH football-It starts at the Pee Wee level preparing kids to play at FH so the pride and tradition is carried on. So while you guys sit here and talk about “Daddy Ball” I hope you keep in mind that whatever “Daddy’s” your talking about had to put their name to a program that has been terrible and run into the ground for years. I have to give them credit for stepping up and taking on this challenge because imo there are very few who want to put their name to something like that. Keep in mind that while there are good players on varsity there is only a couple of pitchers of which haven’t thrown much in the past. We aren’t talking about a team full of travel kids. The program needed the freshman brought in to fill gaps and pitching roles and they’ve done it well. Next let’s discuss the fact that these same “Daddy’s” came in from the start and put their time and effort in getting baseball started early in the fall with extra reps and lifting similar to how football has a year round expectation. The culture is different from practice, bus rides, pride in uniform, and expectations throughout the team. None of this went on in the past. This is a well organized and carefully planned team. So for some of you to sit back and be critical of Daddy Ball make sure you also give credit where it’s due. Things won’t always be perfect but for the kids that love the sport these “daddy’s” who have stuck their neck out and put their name on this they have been a godsend to make baseball better at FH.

No argument here. In fact, I agree with you. FH looks good and if the formula is working then keep going. Putting the time in is expected so don’t hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. The previous regime was horrible so it’s not hard to be better than that. I do agree the culture looks to have changed.

In past years I mentioned that there wasn’t a feeder program but I stand corrected. In recent years these same Dads along with Laffey and possibly a Frankfort coach are also responsible for setting up the middle school baseball idea. One that makes a ton of sense and while we won’t see the results of this immediately i think it will make a big impact in coming years. I don’t think we will agree with everything done but these guys are putting their time and effort in making a difference in not only FH baseball but the area also with the middle school program.

Reactions: ravemwp
I’m all for it. And I wish FH baseball the best. This 9th grade group is definitely made up of solid talent. With the new attitude toward baseball I believe we could be looking at a state title in 2-3 years. All about staying committed to the plan. Good luck!

Reactions: BobbyLeeW
These kids have been working hard since last fall and there is some talent in that Freshmen group. They're coming together as a team. A lot of bonding. Future is bright for sure. Last night's win was a big step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: theprocessworks
Obviously Madden pitched very well to have thrown a one hitter but Spencer also pitched well giving up 5 hits. The score didn’t reflect that due to errors but overall a really good baseball game

Reactions: cumbfanatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT