ADVERTISEMENT

Who in Maryland 1A Can Stop Fort Hill's Offense?

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
Over 500 yards rushing and 47 points tonight against a big and fast South Hagerstown defense. Fort Hill had a 3 and out on their first possession and punted, their only punt of the game. After that, South Hagerstown NEVER stopped Fort Hill again, not once, outside of a fumble very, very deep in South High territory.

The 4 headed rushing attacks of Brown, Smith, Poling and Graves is a monster, all firing on all cylinders with the line blocking well. A word about each: Brown only needs a handful of carries to produce a few touchdowns with his speed, Smith showed tonight how much damage a big strong fullback can do and how much of a weapon he can be and grinding and maintaining a lead late, Poling is really producing while finally getting a chance to run the ball as he runs fast and hard, Graves is the best running quarterback at Fort Hill since maybe Mark Manges, I really believe that.

I think the passing game can be there as it has been with Graves, tonight it wasn't utilized much but didn't really need to be. When I say the passing game is there, I mean as little as it will be needed it will produce some big plays as everyone tunes in to stop the run.

There is however, much, much room for defensive improvement along with a problem with shooting themselves in the foot with key penalties (young team???). Overall I though the defense has played lights out since Keyser but gave up those three big plays tonight to that speedy back from South High (how fast was that guy...wow). Here's the thing though, even if the defense bends and occasionally breaks you are going to have to score 40 plus to beat Fort Hill.

The offense has improved exponentially since the Keyser game in my opinion and has Fort Hill poised to make another serious run at the Bank. Sherando will be a monster of a game and is a toss at this point (which is better than I thought a few weeks ago). Mountain Ridge will get crushed by Fort Hill and that leaves Allegany. Say what you want about Allegany underperforming and not being that good but I seriously think that the only thing standing in the way of Fort Hill making it to the Bank if not 3-peating is Allegany. I know Boonsboro is undefeated, I know Northern has really impressed this year, I know Smithsburg beat Northern to open the year but IN MY OPINION it is Allegany and Allegany alone that stands between Fort Hill and another shot at a ring. I see Fort Hill as at least a 3 touchdown favorite but suspect Fort Hill and Allegany times two could be nailbiters.

The Maryland 1A State Champion will come from the West Region this year, specifically, the Maryland 1A State Champion will come from Cumberland this year.

OK, I'll end my Big Red Cheerleading post now.

You ask how fast SH running back Darian Robinson is, he posted a 10.92 100 meter time this past spring. Ty Johnson I believe ran 11.20.

"big and fast South Hagerstown defense"??? If you read the other post about this game everyone predicted FH was going to win by 20 points.

In its current state, Fort Hill will probably win the 1A title for the next 3 three years in a row.

The best part of that 4 headed monster in the backfield is that they all come back next year. On the defensive side of the ball I think they are only starting 4 seniors. Just a glimpse at why for years people have been talking about next years team being very special. I agree with the lettuce man on this years team. They are going to be tough to beat. They just have to fix the penalty bug and hold onto the ball. Looking forward to making the trip down into the Shenandoah Valley next week. Should be a great game and atmosphere.

I thought the defense played very well and executed very well. Yeah, they gave up 3 big plays but we're broke by 1 player. I don't think fort hill will see another back like that all year. Overall it was a dominant performance on both sides of the ball. Very impressive.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
I hate to say it but I dont see my Campers as a threat to FH.. I see us as a threat to Northern lol but not you guys. I hope im wrong but I believe FH has too many weapons and a Coach that knows how to use them.. We have gotten better since the Keyser blowout. I gotta give props to Preaskorn for calling up 2 good JV players to the Varsity after that game. The one boy called up (Llewellyn) needs to be a starter and play both ways. That kid is solid running the ball and he is a good corner. He has 3 ints in 2 games as a backup. I was at the JV FH-Alco game and Llewellyn carried that team on his back in the 2nd half running the ball, they could'nt stop him. I would love to see a King,Llewellyn split backfield. If Preaskorn makes some changes and the kids continue to work hard, then we might see a good Homecoming game. If not FH by 3-4tds...

Reactions: Bubbahead70
I didn't see the South Hagerstown defense as being either big or fast. The Rebels worst enemy was their defensive scheme with two safeties in the game that did nothing but stand around and watch a huge fullback and shifty wing crush them between the tackles. At some point late in the game when you are down by 3 scores and the other team is just pounding you grinding it out on the ground, you have to at least take those two safeties and cram them in the box and gamble. They wouldn't do it...really bad coaching decisions defensively, real bad. When you see a team with two safeties in the game against the FH wing-T, forget about it.

South High was there own worse nightmare. There defense had no answers to stop the FH Offense. And there receivers just flat out couldn't catch. Way to many dropped passes many of which was wide open possibly would have went for points. #13 was as fast as they said he was but they kept running into the center of fh D-line. A game full of coaching mistakes

I'd pay to see this year's Northern defense against this year's Fort Hill offense. The Sentinels would win by 14+ in the end, or at least that is what I would say after seeing both teams, but it would be pretty nice to see.

I will be anxious to see the Northern/Alco game this week. Allegany has only improved each week. This will be their toughest game since Keyser. If the Allegany offense can be successful against the Huskies then I might change my mind a bit on this defense. I want to see them against a good offensive team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT