eaglesinsider

All Region Poster
Feb 18, 2013
1A
#1 Reginald Lewis vs. #16 Northern Garrett
#2 Fort Hill vs. #15 Bohemia Manor
#3 Dunbar vs. #14 Sparrows Point
#4 Havre de Grace vs. #13 Francis Scott Key
#5 Allegany vs. #12 Douglass (Prince George's)
#6 Lackey vs. #11 Overlea
#7 Chesapeake (Baltimore) vs. #10 Catoctin
#8 Boonsboro vs. #9 Southern Garrett

Teams that made the playoffs in the 1-16 format, but not the regional format: #10 Catoctin, #13 Francis Scott Key, #14 Sparrows Point, #16 Northern Garrett
Teams that made the playoffs in the regional format, but not the 1-16 format: 2AS #3 Fairmont Heights, 2AS #4 Surrattsville, 2AE #3 Cambridge-South Dorchester, 2AE #4 Colonel Richardson

10 1A West Teams finished with a higher point total than Surrattsville, who is in the playoffs.

Why do they use the current format? To cut down on costs of travel?

Thank you for posting this eagles. Also, in 2A Middletown, Williamsport and Queen Anne's would have been in a 1-16 format, in 4A Mervo and Old Mill would be in, and 3A Parkville would be in.

The current format seems to work better in 3A/4A, not so much in 1A/2A.
Still the issue is how can we keep a format that a team that would finish 11th in another region be in the playoffs because they are in a weak region?
Not saying any of those teams that have been left out would win a championship this year, but it could happen. Musselman won a WV title as a 16 seed one year. The problem also is if you have a couple of the stronger teams in the same region that could play for the championship, they are punished with this format. I don't see how anyone can continue to support the current or a variation of the regional format. Again, there is only 1 possible matchup that is over 5 hours--Southern/Snow Hill and the odds of that matchup are fairly slim.

Reactions: towpath94
For comparison these are the MaxPreps ratings, which really don't like the Baltimore-area teams:

1 Fort Hill
2 Allegany
3 Dunbar
4 Douglass
5 Havre de Grace
6 Lackey
7 FS Key
8 Southern Garrett
9 Boonsboro
10 Catoctin
11 Reginald Lewis
12 Mountain Ridge
13 Chesapeake
14 Overlea
15 Bohemia Manor
16 Northern Garrett
--------------------------------
17 Friendly
18 Fairmont Heights
19 Perryville
20 Cambridge-SD

I don't know how you can come up with a point system that accurately compares a team that plays Northern's schedule with a team that plays Friendly's schedule. Just too different.

Reactions: towpath94
They keep the current format so they can keep a down state team in the title game.

I understand. If it were all western Maryland in the finals it wouldn't draw as well. That makes sense I suppose, but I still don't like it.

They keep the current format so they can keep a down state team in the title game.

I assume you mean just the 1A title game. Because looking at the other 3 classifications that doesn't make sense.

I assume you mean just the 1A title game. Because looking at the other 3 classifications that doesn't make sense.
Yeah I meant 1A. The other 3 classifications are why they use the current system. I guess it’s just my 1A viewpoint

Upon farther inspection... (this year) 2a west seeds #1 and #2, and 3a west seeds #2 and #3.... 4a a different story

Making the playoff's with an even record is one thing, making it with a 3-6 or 4-5 record? , at least with the WVA system if you're 16th team you gotta run the board (Musselman, back in early 90's, took it to the house from the 16th seed).

Nobody (unless I missed it) mentioned the fact the regions are so different in the number of teams in each. How can there be only seven in the 1A South but FIFTEEN in the 1A North?! Is this not craziness?

Making the playoff's with an even record is one thing, making it with a 3-6 or 4-5 record? , at least with the WVA system if you're 16th team you gotta run the board (Musselman, back in early 90's, took it to the house from the 16th seed).

1995, Musselman won it all in AA, now they have 1,657 kids! Can you believe it?!

Nobody (unless I missed it) mentioned the fact the regions are so different in the number of teams in each. How can there be only seven in the 1A South but FIFTEEN in the 1A North?! Is this not craziness?

Thats because the regions are for all sports, not just football. Unfortunately there are a lot of 1A schools that dont field football teams

Thats because the regions are for all sports, not just football. Unfortunately there are a lot of 1A schools that dont field football teams

Still all the more reason to compensate for the inconsistency in football by altering the playoff format.

Reactions: ESPN1230
Yeah, myself and Todd has mentioned it on several occasions the disparity in team's in 1A Football, the MPSSAA could of choose to go in several different routes when they made up these regions. The route they choose I didn't see coming. But they usually like to keep teams in the same county/city in the same region.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT