ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's games

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
Does anyone know what the rules are in reference to what happened in a lot of games across Maryland tonight? Some schools waited and completed the games. Some schools postponed it to complete it at a later date (mostly tomorrow). Just wondering what are the rules when it comes to these type of situations. Who makes the decision of a cancelled game versus postponing it until a later time? There seems to be a lot of confusion in reference to it.

Director Andy Warner said on the radio that all MPSSAA games would be a no-contest tonight. Some games were completed however. The MPSSAA County Sports Zone scores are all listed as a no-contest. I'm confused.

If this is the case, the MPSSAA should have put a notice up on their website. Of course no one there works after 5:00 pm so I expect nothing more.

Yes. What is the official status of the Fort Hill vs Loyola game? Southern vs Smithburg too?

Director Andy Warner said on the radio that all MPSSAA games would be a no-contest tonight. Some games were completed however. The MPSSAA County Sports Zone scores are all listed as a no-contest. I'm confused.

If this is the case, the MPSSAA should have put a notice up on their website. Of course no one there works after 5:00 pm so I expect nothing more.
I saw the same thing you saw on the County Sports Zone site and that was one of the reasons I asked that question. By now, that site would have been fully updated. It wasn't reflecting the scores of the games that were completed. Something tells me that this is going to be a mess. It could be a huge problem for teams like Northern who already have just a 9-game schedule.

Yes. What is the official status of the Fort Hill vs Loyola game? Southern vs Smithburg too?

The FH and Alco games are officially a no-contest, which means it doesn't count. That means FH and Alco now have a 9 game schedule. But many games were completed like with Mountain Ridge. I don't see how WV would accept a no-contest ruling there. So it's all confusing.

Reactions: beall02
The FH and Alco games are officially a no-contest, which means it doesn't count. That means FH and Alco now have a 9 game schedule. But many games were completed like with Mountain Ridge. I don't see how WV would accept a no-contest ruling there. So it's all confusing.
This is going to be a mess. The most logical thing to do would be to rule all games that were either not completed due to weather, or ones that eventually did get completed but were effected by weather, and the ones that are in progress but are scheduled to be completed tomorrow morning no contests. Any games that were completed and not effected by any type of weather delay completed games and should count.

I believe Northern and Brunswick started from where they left off around 10 or so. Guess they didn't get the message.
Something tells me it is just going to be the games that didnt get completed. It all is a bit messy if you ask me.

Yes I agree beall02, could be a real mess especially later in the year. As far as the Southern/Smithsburg game, both coaches were doing a lot of talking to each other during the delay. While not privy to any info, I would think that the discussion was about Smithsburg conceding defeat. I know if I were coaching Smithsburg, faced with a 35 point running clock deficit near the end of the 3rd and facing a 2 plus hour bus ride home, I would not want to wait around to complete the game. Get my boys home and let me regroup! Southern looked like it had worked out the early jitters and was just really starting to roll as they scored all their points in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. So if that is what indeed happened, it would be quite unfair for the MPSSAA to swoop in and determine it a no-contest. But then again, they are the MPSSAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConeyIsland
info I have is Smithsburg conceded the loss to Southern. Also does anyone have the link for the western region 1A standings, I think TD provided it last year, thanks.

Looks like a bunch of games that were postponed last night are being finished today in Montgomery Co and Washington Co. Actually games across the entire state are being replayed today wherever possible. So all games obviously will have to count where reasonably finished. That's probably why the MPSSAA score are all listed as 0-0. They are probably waiting to see what games get finished.

Looks like a bunch of games that were postponed last night are being finished today in Montgomery Co and Washington Co. Actually games across the entire state are being replayed today wherever possible. So all games obviously will have to count where reasonably finished. That's probably why the MPSSAA score are all listed as 0-0. They are probably waiting to see what games get finished.
Yes, I thought all teams would have the option of finishing at a later date, most of them the next day. The only way you will have a no contest is if both coaches agree to one.

Under NFHS rules If a game starts it cant be ruled a no contest this happen in WV a few years ago Wheeling Park was playing at Bridgeport no score earl 1st quarter major storm stoppage for over 3 hours, finally Wheeling Park told Bridgeport were are going home and will not be finishing he game, at a at later thinking they had gotten a NO CONEST, WVSSAC Ruled yes, then was found out on Monday that the NHFS rules had to rule it a TIE

SO Under NFHS Rules any game no finished is a official game at the point of stoppage

Its either a loss or win at that point if not finished
A tie if not made up and scored is tied at point of stoppage
or
Can be finished at a later date

The MPSSAA site is finally starting to update scores this afternoon. Only games still listed as tied were ones that werent finished. Ironically they have the Alco/Dunbar game listed as Dunbar won 14-6. Something tells me that is a mistake they will correct. They also have the incorrect score listed for the Smitsburg/Southern game.

The MPSSAA site is finally starting to update scores this afternoon. Only games still listed as tied were ones that werent finished. Ironically they have the Alco/Dunbar game listed as Dunbar won 14-6. Something tells me that is a mistake they will correct. They also have the incorrect score listed for the Smitsburg/Southern game.
just wondering if you seen Ed's post above? I was under this same impression for years, if the game was started but not finished, the score held up and was Final. it really would suck as both FH and Aco would be 0-1 to start the season and I don't remember that ever happening but they do have to go by NFHS Rules and not just whatever the MPSSAA feels like. You would think they would make these games up at a later date as has been done in the past. Meet in the middle in Hagerstown or Frederick and play the games and get it over with, The Home Team's made their money at the gate already maybe throw a little money in to help the teams travel, just the teams, the bands and cheerleaders don't have to be there.

B
just wondering if you seen Ed's post above? I was under this same impression for years, if the game was started but not finished, the score held up and was Final. it really would suck as both FH and Aco would be 0-1 to start the season and I don't remember that ever happening but they do have to go by NFHS Rules and not just whatever the MPSSAA feels like. You would think they would make these games up at a later date as has been done in the past. Meet in the middle in Hagerstown or Frederick and play the games and get it over with, The Home Team's made their money at the gate already maybe throw a little money in to help the teams travel, just the teams, the bands and cheerleaders don't have to be there.
But how would they be able to do that during the season? Most teams have full 10 game schedules without a bye week during the season. And they are not allowed to play more than 1 game a week per rules. It just doesn't look like there is a feasible solution to be able to finish the games if they didn't do it this past Saturday. Don't think I've ever seen such far reaching weather affecting the games before... went from east at least as far as Baltimore to the furthest west in Garrett County. I'm sure after this, coaches and officials will be much better versed in the ramifications of weather delays. Definitely a sticky situation!

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
B

But how would they be able to do that during the season? Most teams have full 10 game schedules without a bye week during the season. And they are not allowed to play more than 1 game a week per rules. It just doesn't look like there is a feasible solution to be able to finish the games if they didn't do it this past Saturday. Don't think I've ever seen such far reaching weather affecting the games before... went from east at least as far as Baltimore to the furthest west in Garrett County. I'm sure after this, coaches and officials will be much better versed in the ramifications of weather delays. Definitely a sticky situation!
I'm not saying I agree with or like the rule but to me, you can try to reschedule for any day of the week, the MPSSAA has granted this many times before, Allegany and St. Albans played on a Monday or Tuesday years ago at St James in Hagerstown. I would think that one team will get a win and 1 a loss by the rule if not made up. So Allegany would have to go back down to play or take the loss, Loyola would have to travel back up to finish or take the loss if you say well it's a no contest which doesn't exist after the game started then FH and Alco would both have to take losses by the rule. I think what would ACTUALLY happen is Alco would go down and finish the game and whatever the outcome is just that, with FH I think Loyola would say thanks but no thanks we aren't traveling again and would take the loss.

Believe me when I say that if Alco or FH were forced to take a loss, they would have finished the game on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. There are factors at play that supersede NFHS rules for every state, from eligibility to transgender/religious rules to lightning postponements. Safety and the student-athletes welfare is the first key to rules interpretations. Due to the distance traveled, it was not logical financially or in the student-athletes best interest to complete these games.

In short, all teams involved agreed to a no-contest in the best interest of safety and student-athlete welfare.

My questions are more about what happens now with a 9 game schedule due to weather cancellations. If Alco did not pick up a Week 2 game at the last minute what would the MPSSAA do with the Alco 8 game schedule? If future games are cancelled due to weather what then? If someone like Silver Oak cancelled their season leaving both Alco and FH with less than 9 games what then?. Although that point is now a non-issue since Silver Oak has played their first official game. If they close down or cancel their games at this point it would be awarded as a forfeit win for all their opponents since they have already played a full game.

I am disappointed in the MPSSAA County Sports Zone. They are listing so many scores incorrectly right now. They have Mtn Ridge and Southern scores for example as way off. Where in the world did they get the info?

Reactions: camper21502
In Virginia a full half has to be completed for the game to be official. There was one game Friday night that was called with 48 seconds left in the first half and the score 27-6. The coaches agreed to give the win to the team that was ahead rather than resume the game on Saturday. The ref still had to go out after an hour delay, blow his whistle, and run the last 48 seconds off the clock so the game could be considered completed.

In Virginia a full half has to be completed for the game to be official. There was one game Friday night that was called with 48 seconds left in the first half and the score 27-6. The coaches agreed to give the win to the team that was ahead rather than resume the game on Saturday. The ref still had to go out after an hour delay, blow his whistle, and run the last 48 seconds off the clock so the game could be considered completed.

My take given the people I have talked with is that these situations have to be agreed upon by both parties and the game officials. If a game is 27-25 in the third quarter, the game is not complete if both parties cannot agree to such. The losing team has every right to ask the game be finished prior to conceding the loss. If the winning team refuses to complete the game, even at a later date, the game can be ruled a no contest. Otherwise, why would the team in the lead have reason to finish the game if they are awarded a win. That's not fair play.

Believe me when I say that if Alco or FH were forced to take a loss, they would have finished the game on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. There are factors at play that supersede NFHS rules for every state, from eligibility to transgender/religious rules to lightning postponements. Safety and the student-athletes welfare is the first key to rules interpretations. Due to the distance traveled, it was not logical financially or in the student-athletes best interest to complete these games.

In short, all teams involved agreed to a no-contest in the best interest of safety and student-athlete welfare.

My questions are more about what happens now with a 9 game schedule due to weather cancellations. If Alco did not pick up a Week 2 game at the last minute what would the MPSSAA do with the Alco 8 game schedule? If future games are cancelled due to weather what then? If someone like Silver Oak cancelled their season leaving both Alco and FH with less than 9 games what then?. Although that point is now a non-issue since Silver Oak has played their first official game. If they close down or cancel their games at this point it would be awarded as a forfeit win for all their opponents since they have already played a full game.

I am disappointed in the MPSSAA County Sports Zone. They are listing so many scores incorrectly right now. They have Mtn Ridge and Southern scores for example as way off. Where in the world did they get the info?
I didn't even see the Mountain Ridge score mistake. What in the world are they looking at?

My take given the people I have talked with is that these situations have to be agreed upon by both parties and the game officials. If a game is 27-25 in the third quarter, the game is not complete if both parties cannot agree to such. The losing team has every right to ask the game be finished prior to conceding the loss. If the winning team refuses to complete the game, even at a later date, the game can be ruled a no contest. Otherwise, why would the team in the lead have reason to finish the game if they are awarded a win. That's not fair play.
This would actually make sense. This would also explain the South Hagerstown/Hedgesville situation from Friday night. The Eagles were winning with under a minute to go. Both teams agreed to finish the game on Saturday morning. South Hagerstown ended up coming back to win the game. I don't think Hedgesville would have agreed to go ahead and finish the game the next day if they could have just called it there.

I'm not saying I agree with or like the rule but to me, you can try to reschedule for any day of the week, the MPSSAA has granted this many times before, Allegany and St. Albans played on a Monday or Tuesday years ago at St James in Hagerstown. I would think that one team will get a win and 1 a loss by the rule if not made up. So Allegany would have to go back down to play or take the loss, Loyola would have to travel back up to finish or take the loss if you say well it's a no contest which doesn't exist after the game started then FH and Alco would both have to take losses by the rule. I think what would ACTUALLY happen is Alco would go down and finish the game and whatever the outcome is just that, with FH I think Loyola would say thanks but no thanks we aren't traveling again and would take the loss.
I can clearly remember games being finished on Mondays before as well. So I think the MPSSAA would grant them that I would assume. If the MPSSAA isn't going to grant Fort Hill and Allegany no contests you would have to think both teams would want to finish those games then. But I agree with Todd, why would Loyola want to travel back up there when they were leading. They don't have to worry about playoff points. There isn't any incentive for them coming up to completing the game. There should be some sort of rule that says if the winning team doesn't agree to resume the game they should have to take the loss even though they were winning.

Yeah, that's my understanding too--I was talking more about the minimum that would have to be played for a game to count if the teams agree not to resume.

Of course, there are some extreme circumstances where it would be pretty bush league to demand that the game be finished at a later date, like if you are trailing 56-0 in the middle of the fourth quarter at home against a team from three hours away.

Yeah, that's my understanding too--I was talking more about the minimum that would have to be played for a game to count if the teams agree not to resume.

Of course, there are some extreme circumstances where it would be pretty bush league to demand that the game be finished at a later date, like if you are trailing 56-0 in the middle of the fourth quarter at home against a team from three hours away.

Yeah, it should be a common sense thing. The Southern vs. Smithsburg game was called in the third quarter with Southern up 35-0. Smithsburg conceded the game and the score as final. Southern agreed to accept it. What sense did it make to Smithsburg to drive back to Oakland the next day to play just over a quarter with a running clock down 35-0? Southern gets the win. It was agreed to by both parties and the game officials.

Under NFHS rules If a game starts it cant be ruled a no contest this happen in WV a few years ago Wheeling Park was playing at Bridgeport no score earl 1st quarter major storm stoppage for over 3 hours, finally Wheeling Park told Bridgeport were are going home and will not be finishing he game, at a at later thinking they had gotten a NO CONEST, WVSSAC Ruled yes, then was found out on Monday that the NHFS rules had to rule it a TIE

SO Under NFHS Rules any game no finished is a official game at the point of stoppage

Its either a loss or win at that point if not finished
A tie if not made up and scored is tied at point of stoppage
or
Can be finished at a later date
I think the rule was put there to protect the team winning the game but if both parties agree to a no contest then I cant see it being anything other than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT