ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Criticism

MCsoccerplex

All State Poster
Aug 20, 2007
A few points for consideration:

Is it right to be critical of any high school student-athlete on a public forum?

No, it isn’t - most student-athletes are minors, and all are still in high school.

I ask this: Would you accept criticism of your child or a juvenile family member on a public forum by uniform number or name based on athletic performance?

I would hope not.

Rightfully so, adults are critical of and aware of bullying on social media by other school-age children. Attacking a student-athlete on a public forum while the adult attacker uses a pseudonym is no different.

High school student-athletes are not paid to entertain adults. They play for the love of the sport, their teammates, and school.

Developmentally, high school student-athletes, like their peers, are impressionable and vulnerable.

If one feels the need to criticize a high school student-athlete on a public forum, that says much more about the adult who is providing the criticism than the one being criticized.

Coaches know best the nuances, skills, leadership, and character traits a student-athlete brings to the table.

Let them coach!

If constructive criticism is needed, trust that a coach will provide it.

Too many coaches are leaving such teaching opportunities because of disgruntled parents/fans.

There is already an issue with a limited number of officials in all sports, and there is a limited number of bus drivers to transport teams to sporting events.

There are specific reasons why this is the current state of affairs.

If you want the same to be true for student-athletes and coaches in the near future, keep up the criticism on public forums and see what the result is.

We can do better!

Great post…. What does it say about someone that criticizes a kid on a public forum behind the veil of a username? 🐓💩 is the first thing that comes to mind for me. If you you come at a kid on here it’s no holds barred. Use your heads

Last edited:
Totally agree with both posts. Every coach I have ever known from BIll Hahn to today, are so much better at dealing with the players they have, and placing them in the right position on the field.

Can I ask what the point of this forum is if not to critique players and coaches? They call out a players number on the field when they commit a penalty, right? Didn't used to, but realized how stupid it was not to.

I understand that critiques and insults can hurt, but life is full of them. Prepare your kids for them now and teach them to ignore the unhelpful ones. Otherwise, where do we plan to put the "safe spaces" on the fields for the players? Have we reached that point, too? You can't control people with big mouths. These aren't grade schoolers. They're practically men.

Reactions: beall02
High school student-athletes are not paid to entertain adults. They play for the love of the sport, their teammates, and school.
Although I agree with what you said they are getting paid now. NIL is legal in high school. Tons of kids are now saying if I dont get the ball more I am tranferring. They helped to create this hideous me situation and parents make it worse. Social media is a blessing and a curse not a one way street. This is not the same world anymore like it or not and kids need to learn now to live in the world they helped create.

Last edited:
Although I agree with what you said they are getting paid now. NIL is legal in high school. Tons of kids are now saying if I dont get the ball more I am tranferring. They helped to create this hideous me situation and parents make it worse. Social media is a blessing and a curse not a one way street. This is not the same world anymore like it or not and kids need to learn now to live in the world they helped create.
very well said. If anybody thinks this forum isn't for them and or they don't like it just protest by boycotting. Nobody makes a player or his family/friends go onto this forum. If it was hateful or just flat out lies then a moderator can delete it.

I do believe kids should be able to take criticism. Criticism and failure are essential for growth and maturity. I believe it can be good but I also believe that’s not why these adults are doing it. I believe if you’re going to do it you should state your name. That would make people less likely to say things about kids.

This post is rather clear - it is not anti-constructive criticism.

It is about misplaced criticism directed by individuals with no direct communication with a team or team members on a day-to-day basis. There is quite a difference.

Constructive criticism comes from coaches - not fans on an anonymous forum.

If it makes you happy and proud to criticize any player, especially in an anonymous manner, well…

Have a good day, All.

There are many ways to get your point across without calling a high school student athlete terrible. I for one have stated on here more than once, that since the quad I believe #11 gives FH more upside than does #8. Not as a criticism towards # 8, but just my opinion of what I see, without knowing the inner workings of practice sessions, and film study. Calling high school student athletes terrible is just a horrible take. Coddle and pamper these kids and their feelings? No, not a big fan of that either, but there are ways for adults to do better to encourage these kids in a positive manner. Just one mans opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT