ADVERTISEMENT

The long, late night FH ramble - WORKING THRU THIS PASSING GAME

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Late night ramble. I type extremely fast so it's very long...read it or don't.

In 82 years of FH football, the passing game has never been a first thought says Capt. Obvious. The Sentinels have racked up a ton of wins and championships by running the football...that's what they do 92% of the time on offense. So when it comes time to pass it's usually an awkward looking process. Through 3 and a quarter games this year it's been pretty bad. Allow me to play armchair coach. That's what makes football fun for the fan, not an intention to make someone look or feel bad.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH THE FH PASSING GAME?

1. No play action passes - we will come back to that one. It's a biggie.
2. The scheme is totally insufficient
3. The pass routes are horrible
4. The line is not protecting
5. The QB is uncomfortable and gun shy
6. No reps

1. So FH runs the ball 15 times out of every 16 plays. And there is no play action on the passing plays? Zero times against Hollidaysburg. Maybe once on a half attempted fake jet sweep. As for tonight, why would you be going spread/shot gun when they wanted to throw the ball against Hollidaysburg? It's like, OK defense...we are throwing the ball now. On a 4th and 3 and FH went shotgun/spread it was like say what? When you play action you suck the defense in. Those defenders are flying to the ball to stop the run. If FH is going to throw the ball, stay in the same tight wing-T formation. Send the halfbacks and TE out in patterns off play action. Keep the defense guessing. Don't show your hand when you want to throw. The bottom line, if FH is going to find any pass success they have to be in their usual formation with the defense 100% thinking run, period. I get the spread/shotgun in a 2 minute drill. But not every time you want to pass during the course of a game.

2. Don't roll a right handed QB to his left, on the weakside to boot. If you are going to roll, go right behind that big OT. The scheme is set up to run the ball. They generally only throw on obvious passing downs i.e 3rd and long, 2nd and very long. The wing-T with 10 men in the box is not a scheme set up to throw the ball. That's fine, FH wins game using this system. That's why play action and screens have to used, but they are not. They have two receivers running fly routes, nothing short over the middle. If you notice tonight, the only success at all in the passing game was the quick hit pass to the split end with blockers in front. It got good yardage both times.

3. Watch the film of every FH pass so far this season. No one is open. OK, not every time but most every time. Or they have two receivers running routes in the same area. Why is the first read 15-20 yards down field? Can't the halfbacks get open short? There is no other option for the QB other than to take off, take a sack or throw it away/up for grabs.

4. When you don't throw the ball but 4 times a game, you cannot expect an inexperienced OL to be superior pass protectors. The FH QB literally has 3 seconds at best and a defender is on him. You work out of that by skipping to item #6 below.

5. QB Blake Beal doesn't look comfortable in the pocket in the least. He is not looking at receivers, but at the pass rush like we saw with the QB vs. Friendship and Dunbar last year. The first instinct is to take off running. His receivers are covered most of the time. He is not setting his feet and he is gun shy now. I believe if you put this kid or last year's QB on the field and just run some pass drills like FH does at pregame, they can make the throw anywhere on the field. But that's obviously not the same as when the ball is snapped in real play. I really don't know if there is another QB on any FH roster the past decade or so that would not have difficulty in the situation we are seeing now. Which will all be explained and summed up with the last point: They have taken Blake as a first time varsity starter, gave him 10 snaps in the Quad scrimmage, a half of snaps in the 2nd scrimmage and then stick him in a game and more or less say throw it on 3rd and long.

6. NO PASSING REPS!!!! Here comes my biggest and most monstrous armchair QB complaint. FH is now 3-0 on the year with three of the next four games being against opponents where FH can literally name the score. Blow outs. Running clock the entire 2nd half. We've seen these match ups a billion times. So here it goes...and this is what we are likely to get in each one of these blowouts just as we have the past 8 years. Belly, trap, jet sweep until it is 28-0 or 35-0. Then 2 series of spread/shotgun passing game. Then subs and a running 2nd half clock. THROW THE FREAKING BALL 30 TIMES in these three games. Get up 7-0 or 14-0 with the same ole belly, trap, jet sweep and then throw it every single down, PERIOD!

If FH is not going to get their QB, their OL, their receivers practice in a real game situation throwing the ball, I can assure everyone that when a Friendship Collegiate or a Dunbar comes up and shuts down the run, it's trouble all over again. Expect the QB to play like a deer in headlights because he is a deer in headlights. For the life of me I just do not understand why you don't throw the ball continuously against these lesser opponents. Even when the passing game is going 3 and out against these teams, you better rep and work through it. Because if the passing game is going 3 and out against Silver Oak, forget it when a top rate team comes up. I don't want to see spread/shotgun every snap. Use the same formations FH uses 98% of the game when they throw it. I've seen this process play out a long time now. Luckily for FH the four years they won the state title, they had no cause to throw it in the post season. They will if they get to Dunbar again. They don't need to throw it 12-15 times, but when they need to it better work to some degree. Which leads to...

No one is asking FH to throw the ball more, that's stupid. But you have to rep your kids through a passing game against these weaker opponents. 30 passes a game at least. The final margin of victory is not relevant. Give your kids a chance to rep through the mistakes and awkwardness that exists in their passing game.

Hopefully I did not offend anyone playing armchair QB. I play armchair QB watching NFL. It's part of the fun. The FH lagging passing game cannot be blamed on any one person or any one position or any one coach. It's all one big conglomerate of issues right now in every facet.

On the plus side, Todd has done an absolute amazing job with this OL. I think most, including coaches, were all a little concerned just a month ago with all these new faces. And coaches have this defense flying man. They get after people. Other than one drive tonight, which was aided by a totally bogus pass interference, Hollidaysburg could not muster squat offensively. As for Danny King, nothing needs to be said, just watch the kicking/punting film. Someday we will all say we knew him when. And he is actually an incredibly good pass defender at safety when they call his number.

Last edited:
Great analysis. Fort HIll sounded (on the radio) like they were snake-bit by their own mistakes. Don't ever remember a game this badly played. Passing has never been FH's strong suit, even with some of their great quarterbacks. Sounds extremely down this year. The description of FH's QB passing efforts last night, sounded like the QB had no faith in what he was trying to do. Just trying not to get clubbed.
Todd your analysis of what FH needs to do is spot on. But will they (the coaches) to it? My guess is no......

Agree with you 1000%. EVERY game I am calling for the screen pass and the pop pass to the TE. They will at times throw a bit more against lesser opponents, but against the better teams they wont even try when the situation presents. The last game they played Northern in the regular season about ten years ago now I guess. They ran the first series out of the wing t, but then went shotgun the rest of the game. Paper had them throwing for over 200 yds which I was thinking had to be a school record. When they got to Homecoming that year, I think they went to the shotgun once and not at all in the playoffs. I go back to the Sherando game a few years ago when they shut FH's running down in the first half and then FH shocked everyone by coming out throwing in the 2nd half and end up winning the game. Too many of their patterns involve throwing downfield. Last night I remember a long pass to #26 and I'm thinking if they had a trailer out of the backfield and hit him with a short pass he might still be running.

Another thing is I don't know why they don't run more out of the I. Seems like they always have a degree of success with it. I was screaming for them to do it last year against Dunbar. At least show something different. Coach Smith of Dunbar called them out last year when he said "we knew they couldn't throw." That should have been a source of embarrassment to the FH coaching staff.

Good analysis TD and I like how you did so in a respectful manner. I know FH has a great program and runs the ball very well. They execute the wing-t run game efficiently and are very physical and have the OL to do so.

I know many people on this board have a dislike for Frankfort but Coach Whiteman has done a great job of integrating the pass and run in the wing-t and also various forms of the spread. It's really out of necessity because generally Frankfort is small up front and lacks overall depth.

He has a good mix of play action, roll-outs and shotgun options. He utilizes a variety of screens, flood routes, short, intermediate and long routes and other wrinkles depending on the look he is getting from the other team. How well this operates depends on the quality and experience of his QB and receivers of course.

If you look at film during the time he had Gage Shaffer at QB a few years back you will see as the seasons progressed the layers of formations, patterns and options he installed to make the offense more difficult to prepare for and to defend. Of course at that time he had several good recievers and RB's who could catch the ball too.

FH has so many similarities to Bridgeport when they were at their peak. Bridgeport doesn't have much variety in their offense but they execute well and even if you know it's coming it's tough to stop.

Reactions: Redwhite90
Great analysis. Fort HIll sounded (on the radio) like they were snake-bit by their own mistakes. Don't ever remember a game this badly played. Passing has never been FH's strong suit, even with some of their great quarterbacks. Sounds extremely down this year. The description of FH's QB passing efforts last night, sounded like the QB had no faith in what he was trying to do. Just trying not to get clubbed.
Todd your analysis of what FH needs to do is spot on. But will they (the coaches) to it? My guess is no......
It's not even a guess. we all know there will be no changes or adjustments. It's almost an arrogance that they are saying we are doing things our way, we win almost all the time, and when we get to dunbar we'll just lose. Maybe getting to the playoffs now is good enough and they think they can't beat Dunbar so why bother changing or trying. It's just an observation but we're all seeing the resistance to change and there has to be a reason. There was an entire off season to prepare to face Dunbar again. Use every game to grow an offense that they can't call you out on AGAIN. We're almost halfway and as others have stated this is not going to get you any further than you got last year, perhaps less.

It's not even a guess. we all know there will be no changes or adjustments. It's almost an arrogance that they are saying we are doing things our way, we win almost all the time, and when we get to dunbar we'll just lose. Maybe getting to the playoffs now is good enough and they think they can't beat Dunbar so why bother changing or trying. It's just an observation but we're all seeing the resistance to change and there has to be a reason. There was an entire off season to prepare to face Dunbar again. Use every game to grow an offense that they can't call you out on AGAIN. We're almost halfway and as others have stated this is not going to get you any further than you got last year, perhaps less.

Running the same belly, traps and jet sweeps beating CCA, Silver Oak and Forest Park by 60 is the norm. Maybe 10 passes instead of 4.

We have the skill players to make the passing game work. But our OL needs serious pass protection work. They’re still shoulder blocking 98% of their plays. It’s hard to transition to giving ground, forming a pocket and using their hands, when all they’ve been doing since they were 8 years old is putting their helmet and shoulder pad on the hip of the the DL. If they can learn to pass block, it’ll definitely serve them well in the playoffs.

One of the sacks last night the QB rolled left out of the shotgun and rolled right into a sack. The pocket was there and he rolled out the pocket and got whacked. You could see a linemen put his arms out in a “what the heck” gesture. It’s an inexperience problem dropping back and stepping up, not so much a line passing blocking issue. As TD said, watch the games in person and the games on replay, receivers are almost never open. During the Morgantown game two receivers were open on the right side but the QB rolled left and never looked back, instead threw the ball up for grabs into double coverage with a third defender not far from the bundle of players. The other receivers, he could have picked either one would have had 30-40 yard gains.

Last edited:
I tried to watch the Commercial vid on this... got into the second quarter and no mas. FH did try a play action pass and the receivers botched the routes. Can't blame the quarterback on that one.

Furthermore, Hollidaysburg was on self destruct. I realize that they were aware of FH's kicker, but with the score still so low why try a pass so deep in your own territory. Why not punt and see if FH can give you back the ball.

On the FH end of it.... I also cannot blame Appel on his game plan. I mean, Hollidaysburg was going nowhere really. So, why not play conservative and run out the clock while waiting for the other side to hand you the ball. Why chuck the rock around and potentially give the other side any life... they're on a ventilator anyway.

Last edited:
I tried to watch the Commercial vid on this... got into the second quarter and no mas. FH did try a play action pass and the receivers botched the routes. Can't blame the quarterback on that one.

Furthermore, Hollidaysburg was on self destruct. I realize that they were aware of FH's kicker, but with the score still so low why try a pass so deep in your own territory. Why not punt and see if FH can give you back the ball.

On the FH end of it.... I also cannot blame Appel on his game plan. I mean, Hollidaysburg was going nowhere really. So, why not play conservative and run out the clock while waiting for the other side to hand you the ball. Why chuck the rock around and potentially give the other side any life... they're on a ventilator anyway.
You should have finished watching it...although you probably fell asleep and I couldn't blame ou. There's one good reason why not to play conservative..after dominating 3 1/2 qtrs they had a 13-7 lead and gave the ball back. ONE play alone and fh could have been behind with under 4 minutes to play. Do you think they could've turned it on then and drove the ball down the field and win? I don't think so, does anybody else?

You should have finished watching it...although you probably fell asleep and I couldn't blame ou. There's one good reason why not to play conservative..after dominating 3 1/2 qtrs they had a 13-7 lead and gave the ball back. ONE play alone and fh could have been behind with under 4 minutes to play. Do you think they could've turned it on then and drove the ball down the field and win? I don't think so, does anybody else?

Okay. Good point. Honestly, I was hoping for a FH/ Dunbar rematch this year. I dunno about this team.

And waiting until the score is 35-0 to throw the ball leads a lot of these teams to think the score is being run up on them, and makes them that much less likely to renew a contract.

Regardless of whether the intent is to actually put points on the board, many on the losing side aren't going to view that well.

That goes for all teams that wait until the score is well in hand. With schedules being harder and harder to fill, this needs to be considered as well.

And waiting until the score is 35-0 to throw the ball leads a lot of these teams to think the score is being run up on them, and makes them that much less likely to renew a contract.

Regardless of whether the intent is to actually put points on the board, many on the losing side aren't going to view that well.

That goes for all teams that wait until the score is well in hand. With schedules being harder and harder to fill, this needs to be considered as well.
I said pretty much the same thing last week although I didn't mention throwing specifically, and the redbloods that can never own anything emphatically denied anybody would ever stop playing fort hill because of a score...so we'll see if they can see I wasn't the only one thinking a score actually matters to opposing teams when renewing contracts.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I said pretty much the same thing last week although I didn't mention throwing specifically, and the redbloods that can never own anything emphatically denied anybody would ever stop playing fort hill because of a score...so we'll see if they can see I wasn't the only one thinking a score actually matters to opposing teams when renewing contracts.
Yeah, last year someone said, 'Can you imagine how much grief FH will get on the message boards if they only beat Silver Oak 21-7?'

That was the worry.

In 82 years of FH football, the passing game has never been a first thought says Capt. Obvious. The Sentinels have racked up a ton of wins and championships by running the football...that's what they do 92% of the time on offense. So when it comes time to pass it's usually an awkward looking process. Through 3 and a quarter games this year it's been pretty bad. Allow me to play armchair coach. That's what makes football fun for the fan, not an intention to make someone look or feel bad.

6. No reps

1. So FH runs the ball 15 times out of every 16 plays. And there is no play action on the passing plays? Zero times against Hollidaysburg. Maybe once on a half attempted fake jet sweep. As for tonight, why would you be going spread/shot gun when they wanted to throw the ball against Hollidaysburg? It's like, OK defense...we are throwing the ball now. On a 4th and 3 and FH went shotgun/spread it was like say what? When you play action you suck the defense in. Those defenders are flying to the ball to stop the run. If FH is going to throw the ball, stay in the same tight wing-T formation. Send the halfbacks and TE out in patterns off play action. Keep the defense guessing. Don't show your hand when you want to throw. The bottom line, if FH is going to find any pass success they have to be in their usual formation with the defense 100% thinking run, period. I get the spread/shotgun in a 2 minute drill. But not every time you want to pass during the course of a game.

2. Don't roll a right handed QB to his left, on the weakside to boot. If you are going to roll, go right behind that big OT. The scheme is set up to run the ball. They generally only throw on obvious passing downs i.e 3rd and long, 2nd and very long. The wing-T with 10 men in the box is not a scheme set up to throw the ball. That's fine, FH wins game using this system. That's why play action and screens have to used, but they are not. They have two receivers running fly routes, nothing short over the middle. If you notice tonight, the only success at all in the passing game was the quick hit pass to the split end with blockers in front. It got good yardage both times.

3. Watch the film of every FH pass so far this season. No one is open. OK, not every time but most every time. Or they have two receivers running routes in the same area. Why is the first read 15-20 yards down field? Can't the halfbacks get open short? There is no other option for the QB other than to take off, take a sack or throw it away/up for grabs.

4. When you don't throw the ball but 4 times a game, you cannot expect an inexperienced OL to be superior pass protectors. The FH QB literally has 3 seconds at best and a defender is on him. You work out of that by skipping to item #6 below.

5. QB Blake Beal doesn't look comfortable in the pocket in the least. He is not looking at receivers, but at the pass rush like we saw with the QB vs. Friendship and Dunbar last year. The first instinct is to take off running. His receivers are covered most of the time. He is not setting his feet and he is gun shy now. I believe if you put this kid or last year's QB on the field and just run some pass drills like FH does at pregame, they can make the throw anywhere on the field. But that's obviously not the same as when the ball is snapped in real play. I really don't know if there is another QB on any FH roster the past decade or so that would not have difficulty in the situation we are seeing now. Which will all be explained and summed up with the last point: They have taken Blake as a first time varsity starter, gave him 10 snaps in the Quad scrimmage, a half of snaps in the 2nd scrimmage and then stick him in a game and more or less say throw it on 3rd and long.

6. NO PASSING REPS!!!! Here comes my biggest and most monstrous armchair QB complaint. FH is now 3-0 on the year with three of the next four games being against opponents where FH can literally name the score. Blow outs. Running clock the entire 2nd half. We've seen these match ups a billion times. So here it goes...and this is what we are likely to get in each one of these blowouts just as we have the past 8 years. Belly, trap, jet sweep until it is 28-0 or 35-0. Then 2 series of spread/shotgun passing game. Then subs and a running 2nd half clock. THROW THE FREAKING BALL 30 TIMES in these three games. Get up 7-0 or 14-0 with the same ole belly, trap, jet sweep and then throw it every single down, PERIOD!

If FH is not going to get their QB, their OL, their receivers practice in a real game situation throwing the ball, I can assure everyone that when a Friendship Collegiate or a Dunbar comes up and shuts down the run, it's trouble all over again. Expect the QB to play like a deer in headlights because he is a deer in headlights. For the life of me I just do not understand why you don't throw the ball continuously against these lesser opponents. Even when the passing game is going 3 and out against these teams, you better rep and work through it. Because if the passing game is going 3 and out against Silver Oak, forget it when a top rate team comes up. I don't want to see spread/shotgun every snap. Use the same formations FH uses 98% of the game when they throw it. I've seen this process play out a long time now. Luckily for FH the four years they won the state title, they had no cause to throw it in the post season. They will if they get to Dunbar again. They don't need to throw it 12-15 times, but when they need to it better work to some degree. Which leads to...

No one is asking FH to throw the ball more, that's stupid. But you have to rep your kids through a passing game against these weaker opponents. 30 passes a game at least. The final margin of victory is not relevant. Give your kids a chance to rep through the mistakes and awkwardness that exists in their passing game.

Hopefully I did not offend anyone playing armchair QB. I play armchair QB watching NFL. It's part of the fun. The FH lagging passing game cannot be blamed on any one person or any one position or any one coach. It's all one big conglomerate of issues right now in every facet.

On the plus side, Todd has done an absolute amazing job with this OL. I think most, including coaches, were all a little concerned just a month ago with all these new faces. And coaches have this defense flying man. They get after people. Other than one drive tonight, which was aided by a totally bogus pass interference, Hollidaysburg could not muster squat offensively. As for Danny King, nothing needs to be said, just watch the kicking/punting film. Someday we will all say we knew him when. And he is actually an incredibly good pass defender at safety when they call his number.

Wow. I've been saying this on this forum for years. Work on the pass - screen, slants, quick-outs, etc. With a wide out like #8, where is the WR screen? Look at the kickoffs. I'll take him in the flat, one-on-one, against any db FH has played so far.

Final thought - the talent is there...use it! This includes #26. I should be hearing his number called more frequently.

6. No reps

After watching the replay there's one thing I noticed at the game but still can't figure out. You are up 13-7, 4 minutes left, driving, and you put your backup fb in....who then fumbles. What is going on here? Could it be the 160 lb guy you've been riding all night and plays both ways just needed a rest, was tired, exhausted, hurt?

#32 asked to be taken out of the game prior to the play that resulted in a fumble. He raised his hand and went off the field. Keep in mind it was 85 degrees at game time, and when he asked to be taken out of the game it was, as noted by the previous poster, very late in the game.

Regarding the conversation in general: It's very easy to sit back and be an armchair expert. At the same time, none of us know the strengths and limitations of the players better than the coaches.

Was FH prepared defensively? Absolutely.

Was Holidaysburg much larger than FH? Absolutely.

Did FH win the game? Yes.

Is there always room for improvement? Absolutely, and we, as posters, need to trust that the coaches and players realize that.

The reality is Coach Appel and his staff are now 121-14 during their 11th year together. That is an .8963 winning percentage. Kinda-tough to argue with that success. :)

#32 asked to be taken out of the game prior to the play that resulted in a fumble. He raised his hand and went off the field. Keep in mind it was 85 degrees at game time, and when he asked to be taken out of the game it was, as noted by the previous poster, very late in the game.

Regarding the conversation in general: It's very easy to sit back and be an armchair expert. At the same time, none of us know the strengths and limitations of the players better than the coaches.

Was FH prepared defensively? Absolutely.

Was Holidaysburg much larger than FH? Absolutely.

Did FH win the game? Yes.

Is there always room for improvement? Absolutely, and we, as posters, need to trust that the coaches and players realize that.

The reality is Coach Appel and his staff are now 121-14 during their 11th year together. That is an .8963 winning percentage. Kinda-tough to argue with that success. :)

He's not infallible but this is a body of work any high school would like to have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT