ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Football

Aug 2, 2018
What's everybody's thoughts on Southern in football this year. They were 8-3 last year, but they have lots of returning starters including a huge offensive line. If, and I know it's a big if, they can get past Allegany and Ft. Hill, I can see them being like the 2009 Catoctin Cougars. What's everybody's thoughts on Maryland 1A football this year?

Best line in the area. Zero speed. That was overwhelmingly obvious last year in massacers against Alco and FH. Those teams were miles apart. But there isn't a ton of speed with any area team this year. FH has quite a few who can move just not top end speed. Alco has one or two possibly.

With that said, Dunbar will run away uncontested with another 1A title unless someone like Boogie can make Lackey a contender. But Lackey was all seniors up front.

My final point standings prediction for 1A West. This is based on schedules and points, not how good a team is.

1. Fort Hill
2. Southern
3. Boonsboro
4. Alco

Reactions: imurmfnguy
Best line in the area. Zero speed. That was overwhelmingly obvious last year in massacers against Alco and FH. Those teams were miles apart. But there isn't a ton of speed with any area team this year. FH has quite a few who can move just not top end speed. Alco has one or two possibly.

With that said, Dunbar will run away uncontested with another 1A title unless someone like Boogie can make Lackey a contender. But Lackey was all seniors up front.

I agree that Southern's team speed is average but as you stated pretty on par with other teams in the area. Their line could make a BIG difference this year with another year of weight training and maturity behind them. I don't think the losses to FH and ALCO were due to team speed. I don't remember too many long runs until the games both got out of hand. It had more to do with the inability of Southern to get off the field on third downs in the first half which led to fatigue later in the game. Their biggest weakness like most any team in 1A is depth which they have very little. Most kids play both ways which really becomes evident later in the games especially with those big bodies up front. I do agree with your top four 1A West which could shuffle depending on injuries through the year.

Southern is moving in the right direction, but they are not on the same level as Allegany or Fort Hill or any other top 1A school.

Southern is moving in the right direction, but they are not on the same level as Allegany or Fort Hill or any other top 1A school.
I agree completely, and until they show they can not only beat FH and Alco but just compete it's hard to put them anywhere but 3rd at best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT