ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day is tomorrow

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Tomorrow is the first day high school seniors can sign a LOI (Letter of Intent) to attend and play football for the college of their choice. Here is a brief run down of local area seniors and where they look to be headed:

Hunter Wilhelm (Allegany) - West Virginia State (D2)
Timmy Friend (Fort Hill) - West Virginia Wesleyan (D2)
Noah Bible (Frankfort) - West Virginia Wesleyan (D2)
Cole Weaver (Keyser) - Shepherd (D2)
Evan Staley (Hampshire) - West Virginia (FBS - preferred walk on)
Wil Schoonover (Moorefield) - Glenville State (D2)

There will hopefully be more. Will add them here when I get the info. The ones listed are expected to sign tomorrow at their respective school. But things sometimes change so nothing is locked in until a player signs that LOI. Many D2 level schools will be recruiting seniors all the way into April and May.

Last edited:
Exciting day around the country

Wil Schoonover from Moorefield is headed to Glenville St. Decided to go there instead of a preferred walk on at WVU.

Congrats to all of them. Wesleyan is a great school, had numerous friends & family go there. Clay Todd, from Southern, and his brother, Landon, are playing hoops there.

Where did Fisher from Clear Spring sign? I know he de-committed from Maryland a few weeks back

I don't think people realize how good D2 competition is and how hard it is to get money at that level. I'm sure if you ask any of those seniors listed above or the seniors that came before them as to how hard this process of getting money can be they will tell you the same...very difficult. Those players listed above are the some of the best Class of 2016 players this area has to offer. In short, even most of the players at Frostburg State were the best players on their high school team.

Those D2 West Virginia schools are super competitive. Too bad we only have one D2 school in Maryland.

In total agreement with TD. My son is playing @ the D2 level and as a freshman, did not see a lot of playing time. The competition at the level is very good and tough. $$ is very tough to get @ the D2 level because it is limited. Coaches @ that level just don't have unlimited blank checks to write out, I know because my son went through it. I think too many people/parents think that their players are D1 level, hate to burst any bubbles, but you better come to reality quickly! Just look at the list above and compare your player to some of those listed and see where your player falls, you may be surprised! Very happy and excited for all the players listed above that are using their athletic abilities, given by the Big Man upstairs, to do what is really important and that is to get an education.

I agree with both of you. Many people don't understand how difficult it is. When I was covering prep sports I remember seeing talented players from all over Maryland, and after the game I would ask them what colleges were looking at them and they would say nobody, or maybe mention a junior college. I often hear people from Cumberland say that colleges don't do a good job of recruiting area kids, but that's how it is everywhere. I also think parents falsely believe the high school coach can get their kids scholarships. I'm sure a kind word is helpful, but their influence is minimal or nil.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT