ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with Good Counsel offensive tackle Lucas Portes

Maryland Varsity

Jul 18, 2013
How did the football season go for your team?
“I believe the team was one of the most hardworking programs in the DMV, at least. We had a good season, but we didn’t reach the goal that was attainable for us, and that was a championship win. As my first year at the school, I found that the community and the team, was very easy to attach myself to. I rapidly, if not immediately, found respect for all members of the team. Our intensity was good. A slap in the face for the season was the St. Joe game. We were feeling ourselves too much after week one. Ever since that game, we came out to every game as the underdog in a way to regain respect. The final game was a hard-fought game by both teams. Unfortunately, we didn’t come out with the win.”

What are your workout plans now going forward?
“Working out with the team. Ever since I came here, the lifting program has been phenomenal. The strength coach is a great guy who has a great deal of respect, along with the other strength coaches. They have helped me push myself and the team to get better and stronger for the upcoming season. I love how they emphasize mental toughness in workouts because that kind of mindset of pushing through adversity is crucial during the season, being mentally and physically tough. Once a week I go to Perfect Performance in Annapolis Junction and have been going for a couple of years now. Kireem Swinton has been a great help in my technique for the offensive line and continues to be a great help in the offseason.”

What are you trying to improve on the most this off-season?
“I need to get stronger in the weight room. That is where I believe I have the most room for improvement. Not on a specific spot of my body, but all needs growth to be the best that I can be.”

How do you believe your team will be next season?
“I believe that as long as we work hard even more than last year and never be satisfied, we can win any game we chose.”

What is the toughest game on your schedule for 2018?
“I believe all of our games will be as important and tough. If I had to pick, all inner-conference games will be very difficult in my opinion. They all have an extra intensity than all other games.”

Do you want to play sports in college? If so, which one?
“I would love to play football in college at a school I could pursue my passion of becoming a Veterinarian.”

What colleges have been recruiting you?
“In my opinion, I hate this question because it is so broad, and I am confused on how to answer, so I will say all of possible things that interests could mean. During the season, I got an unofficial game visit to Boston College, the University of North Carolina, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of Buffalo. I have gotten looked up on my Go Big Recruiting account many times. Recently, I have gotten mail from Stanford and University of North Carolina Charlotte along with emails from Penn, Yale, and Princeton about attending their camp. I have received a Junior Day invite from William and Mary, UMass, and Princeton. I have met college coaches at my school such as Boston College, Penn State, and Pitt.”

Have you made any college trips yet?
“I have just driven through the Princeton and UPenn campus before. I went to University of North Carolina and Boston College for a game. I went to William and Mary for a Junior Day. I have also been to Pitt, Maryland, and Penn State for camps.”

What camps are you going to this summer?
“This spring, I am doing a Rivals camps and The Opening. Aside from that, I am just doing camps that my school will go on.”

Did you have a favorite college growing up?
“Michigan State is easily my favorite college.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News