ADVERTISEMENT

PLAYOFF FOOTBALL GAMES WILL CHARGE A FEE TO ALL BROADCASTS

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The MPSSAA is now asking all radio and television broadcasts to pay a fee in order to produce any and all playoff games. Let's hope we get the sponsors to make it all work.

Last edited:
The MPSSAA is now requiring a $750 per game fee for all broadcasts of high school playoff games. So the Atlantic Broadband delayed broadcast by Commercial Video and the live NFHS feed for games at Greenway Ave Stadium are all seemingly lost unless they can come up with a financial plan. All ideas for a solution are open for discussion.

Always be grateful for what we have because in a moment "poof" it's gone. Finances are tough across the board.

On that note, the MPSSAA is currently operating with 2 paid employees. So the product is what you see.
Is this fee only for video broadcasts?

I edited this post because radio and television is doing what it can to raise the funding to get these games on the air. Hoping everyone can find a way to get it done.
Does this include the NFHS feeds that some schools have already set up?

By the way, this is utterly ridiculous, $150 may not seem like a lot but for small radio stations it is. You knew they were going to have to find a way to make up for all the lost revenue from everything that Covid has impacted.

By the way, this is utterly ridiculous, $150 may not seem like a lot but for small radio stations it is. You knew they were going to have to find a way to make up for all the lost revenue from everything that Covid has impacted.
Beall02 I totally agree. I would bet you will still see games on NFHS network (as they were in 2019 all the way up thru the semifinals). By the way these rates have been in place for a long time on the MPSSAA website. Maybe they are just trying to enforce them. I can look right now and see that Kent Island's game vs North Caroline is scheduled to stream on NFHS.

These Radio Stations should be paying a fee to the Schools all year, they sell ads and make money all year off of the schools and the schools get nothing.

WV Charges
for Radio First Round- Second Round- Third Round- Finals
Class A $100.00 $100.00 $100.00 Contact METRONEWS Class AA 125.00 125.00 125.00 Contact METRONEWS Class AAA 150.00 150.00 150.00 Contact METRONEWS

Internet Stream School or Neutral Site Championship Site
Live $500 $1,000
Delayed/On-Demand $250 $500
Television Broadcast School or Neutral Site Championship Site
Live $1,500 $3,000
Delayed/VOD $750 $1,500

There is No need for 3 Radio Stations to being doing the games and selling ads and not paying the Schools or The MPSSAA any money, why should they make a dime while the Schools or State org loses money?

just a little info as well to pass, The NFHS will have the MPSSAA Playoff Broadcast of these games live as it is part of their contract agreement.

WV Charges
Class A $100.00 $100.00 $100.00 Contact METRONEWS Class AA 125.00 125.00 125.00 Contact METRONEWS Class AAA 150.00 150.00 150.00 Contact METRONEWS

Live $500 $1,000
Live $1,500 $3,000
Delayed/VOD $750 $1,500

There is No need for 3 Radio Stations to being doing the games and selling ads and not paying the Schools or The MPSSAA any money, why should they make a dime while the Schools or State org loses money?

just a little info as well to pass, The NFHS will have the MPSSAA Playoff Broadcast of these games live as it is part of their contract agreement.
The NFHS paid the same fee as everyone else has to.

Fort Hill F Club raised $750 for delayed broadcast for this weeks game. I believe it’s for Commercial Video

Last edited:
I don’t know how to put links on here, but they already raised enough to cover Commercial Video for the first two weeks. If you have Facebook it’s under Fort Hill F Club

WV Charges

Live $500 $1,000
Live $1,500 $3,000
Delayed/VOD $750 $1,500

Your opinion is that these stations are making bank off the school by doing these broadcasts for free. I'm informing you that if they break even, that's a win. No radio station is raking in the dough by doing these games. The schools aren't losing any money because radio stations are at these games. Hell, most of the people who even listen to these games on the radio are AT the game anyway.

Your opinion is that these stations are making bank off the school by doing these broadcasts for free. I'm informing you that if they break even, that's a win. No radio station is raking in the dough by doing these games. The schools aren't losing any money because radio stations are at these games. Hell, most of the people who even listen to these games on the radio are AT the game anyway.
I don't think they make bank, I think they should pay a fee though every game.
They pay for regular season games in the other states so I'm not sure why they don't in Cumberland.

That's just how they do it. Schools are not losing money by stations not paying them. And people have a choice who to listen to for game coverage. Sounds like a good thing for everyone. Kinda surprised anyone would have such a problem with it.

Interesting.

Quince Orchard does a internet radio stream for football (and other sports). The difference is, its done by students under the banner of the school. No fee charged. I guess that may be a workaround moving forward for other schools?

And honestly the kids do an outstanding job.

Interesting.

Quince Orchard does a internet radio stream for football (and other sports). The difference is, its done by students under the banner of the school. No fee charged. I guess that may be a workaround moving forward for other schools?

And honestly the kids do an outstanding job.
no, it doesn't matter who does the broadcasts, the only difference is They don't tell the State they are doing it and nobody has ever told on them. lol
it happens here all the time as well.

The Garrett County station that covered the Northern game last week was also streaming live to Facebook the whole time, which I dont really care if they were or not. Just saying, any schmoe who attends the game could Facebook stream it from the stands if they wanted to. I still think it's silly that the MPSSAA acts like it's NFL or college where there is some protected status for the broadcast. But, it's not like you're going to get arrested or fined for broadcasting an unlicensed high school game.

WV Charges

Live $500 $1,000
Live $1,500 $3,000
Delayed/VOD $750 $1,500

What is NFHS? Is that where you can watch the state title game live?

Some Cumberland places I know that are streaming the game. There are probably other places but I know these businesses have it at 3:30.

Lashbaugh's
Mezzos
Uncle Jack's
Thirsty's

Reactions: Dwj21
Some Cumberland places I know that are streaming the game. There are probably other places but I know these businesses have it at 3:30.

Lashbaugh's
Mezzos
Uncle Jack's
Thirsty's
Is there anyplace online to watch besides the NFHS?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT