ADVERTISEMENT

OH CANADA! Fort Hill welcomes team from Great Blue North to the Quad

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
banner_index2016_quad.jpg

It became official just yesterday. A team from Canada will be participating in the 8th annual Queen City Quad Preseason Classic at Greenway Avenue Stadium this coming Saturday, August 20 at 3:00 pm.

The team is Royal Imperial Collegiate of Canada (RICC). They are from St. Catharines, Ontario just north of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. It is a 6.5 hour bus ride from Cumberland.

This is a first year school and program. RICC will play a full schedule against American teams that range from Ohio to New Jersey to North Carolina. It is a prep school, but the MPSSAA has granted approval for them to be at this scrimmage.

It's a super nice campus. I really dig their indoor practice football facility. The coach played for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Should be interesting.

Also keep an eye on Woodrow Wilson QB Stevie Williams, who lit opponents up last year as a junior including their Quad debut. Stevie is currently committed to Old Dominion, a D1 Conference USA school.

PLEASE COME OUT AND SUPPORT THE TEAMS AND THIS EVENT!

Last edited:
Bravo...sounds like a good pick for a regular season game too.

This year's Wilson squad may be the best DC team in a long time. They may even start the season ranked in the Washington Post Top 20 which is unheard of for a DC City school. In addition to the QB, they have another WR/RB/CB signed with Va Tech. I think he's #2, and the other WR is getting mid-major offers. He's big too, about 6'3". They also have a LB who is also getting offers.

Thanks for the heads up BoyznBlue. The 6'3 receiver is Khaleb Coleman. Ironically he is a lean toward Coastal Carolina where Fort Hill's CB Brayden Brown has verballed. The two will surely lock up together on Sat.

Tuition: $21,680
Registration Fee: $300
Uniform Package: $500
Residence Fees $650 monthly
Meal Plan: $600 monthly
After hour entertaining / study program / weekend chartered bus service: $200 monthly
Football Academy: include trainings and competition, exclude travel insurance. Must register with credit courses: $8,000

$31,930 a year at Royal Imperial Collegiate of Canada.

That's a chuck of change to attend that school

Is that USA$ or Canadian$? Really doesn't change much...still pricey!

"Knights Football Academy: RICC offers a prep football program geared towards student-athletes who would like to gain experience and exposure playing Americna football in the United States. Through this regimented program consisting of an August-November football season, offseason training and conditioning, SAT/ACT prep, and recruiting help, student-athletes will become prepared for the rigours of playing foorball at the next level."

Aside from the minor typo above, this description looks like a first class school that, no doubt, offers full athletic scholarships.

Last edited:
I'm following the Knights on there trek to KY and then onto MD. I'm hoping it's just and fan's mistake, but someone posted a comment Friday in KY and on to MD on Sunday.

We're all aware that the quad is Saturday...I hope the Knights know this as well!

Go Big Red!

Yes, RICC is in Kentucky and have a scrimmage Friday. They will stay in Kentucky tonight, get up very early Saturday and drive to Quad. I talked about this at length with their coach. He said this is not uncommon for his kids and that they would be fine. I expressed my concern. As a coach there is no way I would do this.

He said his kids have been playing football with full pads and full contact since May and on through to July. In Canada they have a summer football season made up of regional all-star teams. When they get to his school those kids are already in full football shape.

On another note, Allegany's football game with Capitol Christian has been moved to Thursday at 5:00 because CCA double scheduled that weekend and will play another team from DC on that same Saturday. CCA did the same thing...were going to play a game Friday night in Cumberland. Get home around midnight. Then get up and play a game at 2:30 in DC. CCA has done this before. I don't get it. But Alco decided to oblige them and bump their game up to Thursday.

FYI, I don't handle the CCA schedule anymore. And this is what they get. Amazing. You would think that when a person puts a schedule together they could at least keep a piece of paper next to their desk with tape or something and write down when they make a deal to play a game. It's not rocket science.

Yes, RICC is in Kentucky and have a scrimmage Friday. They will stay in Kentucky tonight, get up very early Saturday and drive to Quad. I talked about this at length with their coach. He said this is not uncommon for his kids and that they would be fine. I expressed my concern. As a coach there is no way I would do this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a 8 hour bus ride if roads are ok.
If they get stuck behind a accident that Canada team will not get to Cumberland on time.
Leave early from KY, 5am maybe.

a few thoughts from the quad

#2 for FH is a man now. He's out there laying the lumber. Big change from sophomore year

#13 has been a man. He's a joy to watch with the rock in his hand

speaking of men, #63 WOW...#4 WOW...#9 WOW that D-line

reports out of practice was the OL was struggling. They looked good today. It might be that nasty DL was the reason they were struggling. If healthy that DL is going to kill people.

FH is deep it looks like. Their 2s and 3s moved the ball offensively. #32 is a sophomore and will fill in nicely behind #13 at FB. #3 with a hell of a player on defense forcing and recovering a fumble.

I had more written down but I got cocktail sauce all over it from the shrimp dinner. That was delicious by the way.

The Woodrow Wilson bus broke down in Frederick and they didn't show up until almost 2 hours in. That was really a bummer. But we had to adapt.

Pizza was on point, Shrimp Dinner with Mac Salad was da bomb, Rita's Ice was refreshing, and some Sidelines Hanger On from Wilson was taunting the crowd like a fool until it was unceremoniously explained to him that the Scrimmage was basically over by the time they got there and that they were playing against everyone's already worn out 2's and 3's. That is all.

Pizza was on point, Shrimp Dinner with Mac Salad was da bomb, Rita's Ice was refreshing, and some Sidelines Hanger On from Wilson was taunting the crowd like a fool until it was unceremoniously explained to him that the Scrimmage was basically over by the time they got there and that they were playing against everyone's already worn out 2's and 3's. That is all.

Shrimp Dinner with Mac Salad at a scrimmage is more than assuaging hunger.

I didn't stay for the whole thing. Must have left just before Wilson got there. FH's 1's vs the others looked dominating. Canadian team wasn't as bad as I thought. Especially after playing the day before and traveling 5+ hrs. to get here.

From checking other boards, Tuscarora is expected to make some noise in 3A West this year. Probably will be a better test for Fort Hill than what they saw Saturday.

so BlewBoyz was in attendance?

LOL, actually I was there. It was disappointing Wilson showed up so late because it was a great day weather-wise for a scrimmage. Wilson moved the ball against FH's 3rd team, as they should have, but I wasn't really impressed. The DC City league is equivalent to 1A. FH's 1's looked good of course. The Canadian team made a few plays, they were better than I expected.

LOL, actually I was there. It was disappointing Wilson showed up so late because it was a great day weather-wise for a scrimmage. Wilson moved the ball against FH's 3rd team, as they should have, but I wasn't really impressed. The DC City league is equivalent to 1A. FH's 1's looked good of course. The Canadian team made a few plays, they were better than I expected.
I thought the Canadian team had a decent passing attack. They should definitely win a few games this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT