ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL Fort Hill Football 2019 Schedule

I agree. Everyone should. That Allegany team was tough. FH just a hair better with Shannon Trimble. The next best schedule that I remember was FH 09. TJ, Martinsburg and Mt ST Joe. That was the year FH won HC Alco won the playoff game, FH dominate Martinsburg 41-0, beat TJ 12-0 (TJ was a final 4 4A team) and Mt St Joe by 2-td. FH was 10-0. Allegiany was very good as well but lost the next week.

So why not just play Martinsburg?

I am pretty stoked for this Erie game. And I'm hoping that maybe now that the playoffs have adjusted to allow for a little more of a competitive schedule without as much worry, that we will see a few more of these tough games. And while I understand FH cant just say "hey Martinburg, lets play now" as schedules are already set, my point is hopefully, moving forward, with an earlier start to scheduling after this season we can see some (or even one) tough "closer" opponents on the schedule. Martinsburg, Linganore, hell Dematha again, etc..some top notch Maryland schools and so forth. Perhaps even if FH were to lose this game and still show they can get to the ship, that anxiety will ease a bit.

Good job on getting this game set up.

There has to be some type of reciprocation from other 1A schools. It's good now for FH to pick up these type of power hitters but you still cannot load the entire schedule with 6-7 of them. There should be no need for FH to find a Capital Christian, MATHS, etc. anymore to fill the void where other 1A teams won't play. The new playoff should be easing the fear of competition and hopefully will become widespread, not just at FH. These were direct quotes from the FH coaching staff.

If Martinsburg had been open Week 4 this late in July, FH would have picked them up for a two year deal. No one wanted to see the kids only get an 8 game schedule. Same with Sherando or just about anyone. But now that FH has a two year deal with Cathedral Prep (and they will keep Hollidaysburg and hopefully Morgantown), do they really want to add Martinsburg and a Linganore? My answer to that is no. That is complete overload for a 1A school. I will start looking for 2020 games now, that philosophy has to change. But when you advertise for games this early teams like Damascus and Sherando will inquire...and you have to tell them no until you lock in a few more games against teams your size. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to believe a 1A school of any caliber is going to kill itself with a monster schedule full of Cathedral Prep, Martinsburg, Morgantown, Hollidaysburg, Sherando and some big hitter from Frederick County. I would not permit such a thing.

Reactions: 52 to victory
Home field is huge no doubt, but scheduling blowouts to get home field comes at a cost. And that cost is money. When scheduling, one has to keep butts in the seats as a priority. Melbourne is a great example of that and we won. It’s time to have a couple weeks where people look forward to Friday nights again. At least 2 games would be good. The kids thrive on that energy too. Again, all part of the experience. Going back to 17 and that season I will say this, FH should have beat Dunbar. I believe FH was drained after the Alco and Lackey playoff games. I believe if FH played Dunbar 2 weeks earlier FH wins by 2 td. I don’t think playing MCC or Friendship hurt FH at all. Two things stand out on that loss to me, the overly conservative playcalling and the two tough playoff games that preceded.
Beating everyone senseless can be a bad thing. A good team needs a couple dog fights. It will help going down the stretch

If Martinsburg had been open Week 4 this late in July, FH would have picked them up for a two year deal. No one wanted to see the kids only get an 8 game schedule. Same with Sherando or just about anyone. But now that FH has a two year deal with Cathedral Prep (and they will keep Hollidaysburg and hopefully Morgantown), do they really want to add Martinsburg and a Linganore? My answer to that is no. That is complete overload for a 1A school. I will start looking for 2020 games now, that philosophy has to change. But when you advertise for games this early teams like Damascus and Sherando will inquire...and you have to tell them no until you lock in a few more games against teams your size. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to believe a 1A school of any caliber is going to kill itself with a monster schedule full of Cathedral Prep, Martinsburg, Morgantown, Hollidaysburg, Sherando and some big hitter from Frederick County. I would not permit such a thing.

Absolutely agree with this, not loading up a schedule. But I guess what I'm saying is, at least I assume, Erie Cathedral Prep isnt going to be an on-going series after this deal. So you will find yourself in that situation more often than not, probably after the 2 yr deal expires (or maybe not, that'd be pretty damn sweet if the CP series continued after next season too). Motown and Hollidaysburg are solid "close" games that I hope to see continuing. But, if Linganore or Martinsburg or another "closer" school comes calling early on, you have the foresight (and approval) to agree to a game . I'm not saying respond yes to all of them, there is no point in loading up. But knowing that you have week 4 open at the end of a season allows you to go ahead and say yes to a bigger, tougher opponent earlier on when schedules are more open.

I'm just hoping that becomes more of a standard.

Reactions: bigsavage
Absolutely agree with this, not loading up a schedule. But I guess what I'm saying is, at least I assume, Erie Cathedral Prep isnt going to be an on-going series after this deal. So you will find yourself in that situation more often than not, probably after the 2 yr deal expires (or maybe not, that'd be pretty damn sweet if the CP series continued after next season too). Motown and Hollidaysburg are solid "close" games that I hope to see continuing. But, if Linganore or Martinsburg or another "closer" school comes calling early on, you have the foresight (and approval) to agree to a game . I'm not saying respond yes to all of them, there is no point in loading up. But knowing that you have week 4 open at the end of a season allows you to go ahead and say yes to a bigger, tougher opponent earlier on when schedules are more open.

I'm just hoping that becomes more of a standard.

I love scheduling philosophy debates. It is an art to some degree. Knowing Cathedral, Motown and Hollidaysburg are back...you then began to be selective looking to fill holes with other 1A teams not the other way around. You don't load up with heavy hitters and then hope a team at your classification says yes. Because next thing you know it is July again and you are left choosing between more private powers from far away just to get your kids a full slate of games. In 2021, yes I agree. But not 2020. FH is not going to load Martinsburg and Cathedral on the schedule for 2020.

I love scheduling philosophy debates. It is an art to some degree. Knowing Cathedral, Motown and Hollidaysburg are back...you then began to be selective looking to fill holes with other 1A teams not the other way around. You don't load up with heavy hitters and then hope a team at your classification says yes. Because next thing you know it is July again and you are left choosing between more private powers from far away just to get your kids a full slate of games. In 2021, yes I agree. But not 2020. FH is not going to load Martinsburg and Cathedral on the schedule for 2020.

We agree, no need to add a Martinsburg or that ilk as long as you have those three locked in. Only suggesting that for when one or more of those schools aren't an option anymore. I'm just excited for the possibility of looking to play some tougher competition. I've always said its not the team or schedulers job to assure there are asses in the seats, or to assure everyone gets their 6 dollars worth. But if you have a few (about three) of these higher draw games it all works out, then I see no problem with the Silver Oaks and Cap Christians.

I love it too. Fort hill would have beaten a lot the tougher schools if they had played them the last few years. Sherando has given martinsburg all they can handle year after year and beaten them a few times. I’m not saying fort hill would Beat martinsburg but they would have had some great games. I always wanted to see fort hill play Middletown or walkersville. That would be fun too.

Not true...Martinsburg defeated Allegany 42 - 14 at Greenway in 2000, haven't played or scrimmaged them since. JUST SAYING... :)

Missed that when I last saw your old site....I stand corrected. Any chance all those season by season scores will be posted again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT