ADVERTISEMENT

Oakdale Glenelg 2A

Douglass is back to 2A next year. Lackey as well.

3A will be much better next year with the addition of Damascus and North Point. If this new playoff system passes, we may see some better regular season matchups because the risk of missing playoffs with 1 or 2 losses is essentially completely gone. Oakdale is already playing Elkton and if Dunbar is also happening, those are 2 really good pick ups for Oakdale. Apparently TJ is going independant so that opens another game for most of the Frederick schools. Would love to see Fort Hill hit up the Frederick schools!

Got a chance to talk to quite a few people the last few days. MPSSAA people, the top cheese in Bmore. I'm going to simply say this without quoting any one individual: The playoff change is happening. It will be the 9 game regular season with 8 teams from each region making the playoffs. The district votes are almost unanimous. As I have said here so many times the past five years...the MPSSAA was never, ever, ever going to dump the regional set up. This may not have been the best proposal but it is the best proposal given the fact they will not break up the regions. Stop with the 1-16 arguments. THEY WILL NOT BREAK UP THE REGIONAL SETUP for money reasons.

There will be positives and negatives to the new system. But one thing is certain...I can promise that schedules will be way more vast from here on out. No more avoiding good competition just to make the playoffs. To that I say AMEN! It's been a very long time coming.

To those that say they don't want to see the first round of the playoffs be blowouts, I say do you like seeing blowouts in all the regular season games? Because this is what the current system has fostered.

I know some folks won't like the change. But understand this...no system is going to make 100% of the people happy.

Got a chance to talk to quite a few people the last few days. MPSSAA people, the top cheese in Bmore. I'm going to simply say this without quoting any one individual: The playoff change is happening. It will be the 9 game regular season with 8 teams from each region making the playoffs. The district votes are almost unanimous. As I have said here so many times the past five years...the MPSSAA was never, ever, ever going to dump the regional set up. This may not have been the best proposal but it is the best proposal given the fact they will not break up the regions. Stop with the 1-16 arguments. THEY WILL NOT BREAK UP THE REGIONAL SETUP for money reasons.

There will be positives and negatives to the new system. But one thing is certain...I can promise that schedules will be way more vast from here on out. No more avoiding good competition just to make the playoffs. To that I say AMEN! It's been a very long time coming.

To those that say they don't want to see the first round of the playoffs be blowouts, I say do you like seeing blowouts in all the regular season games? Because this is what the current system has fostered.

I know some folks won't like the change. But understand this...no system is going to make 100% of the people happy.

I figured it was pretty much a done deal. As messed up as the MPSSAA is, I would hope that they wouldn't leave their AD's and coaches hanging until an "official" decision is made in April.

There are still seeding considerations so I don't think teams will go hog wild with scheduling but there is definitely more incentive to take a chance with some tougher opponents. Of Linganore's 14 games, 12 of them involved the running clock, including 3 of the 4 playoff games. Linganore's attendance has been way down the past several years and while I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons, I think the ugly games have been part of the problem. While its a cheap night out, people still want to see something at least remotely competitive. The fans showed up for Oakdale, Walkersville, the first Westminster game and I have no doubt they would show up for Fort Hill, Martinsburg, Northwest, any "big" name non-conference opponent. As you said, there are going to be some ugly first round playoff games, but there are already plenty of ugly Week 10 games and ugly playoff games as it is. There is a chance for some better late round matchups and I think that in itself is worth at least giving this proposal a chance.

Reactions: Blueandgold45
I figured it was pretty much a done deal. As messed up as the MPSSAA is, I would hope that they wouldn't leave their AD's and coaches hanging until an "official" decision is made in April.

There are still seeding considerations so I don't think teams will go hog wild with scheduling but there is definitely more incentive to take a chance with some tougher opponents. Of Linganore's 14 games, 12 of them involved the running clock, including 3 of the 4 playoff games. Linganore's attendance has been way down the past several years and while I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons, I think the ugly games have been part of the problem. While its a cheap night out, people still want to see something at least remotely competitive. The fans showed up for Oakdale, Walkersville, the first Westminster game and I have no doubt they would show up for Fort Hill, Martinsburg, Northwest, any "big" name non-conference opponent. As you said, there are going to be some ugly first round playoff games, but there are already plenty of ugly Week 10 games and ugly playoff games as it is. There is a chance for some better late round matchups and I think that in itself is worth at least giving this proposal a chance.

"Linganore's attendance has been way down the past several years and while I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons, I think the ugly games have been part of the problem."

I've said this very same thing when people wonder why area attendance is down year after year. People aren't going to pay to see blow outs year in and year out on any level at any sporting event. Someone made the point that our area population hasn't declined that much since last year's Melbourne game. My suggestion, for what its worth, is if you want to have a nice attendance is to schedule 1 or 2 quality opponents late in the season, on a Saturday evening where you're the only show in town and pray it doesn't rain.

Reactions: Blueandgold45
"Linganore's attendance has been way down the past several years and while I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons, I think the ugly games have been part of the problem."

I've said this very same thing when people wonder why area attendance is down year after year. People aren't going to pay to see blow outs year in and year out on any level at any sporting event. Someone made the point that our area population hasn't declined that much since last year's Melbourne game. My suggestion, for what its worth, is if you want to have a nice attendance is to schedule 1 or 2 quality opponents late in the season, on a Saturday evening where you're the only show in town and pray it doesn't rain.

When this new playoff proposal becomes effective, I am expecting/hoping FH will play more than just 1 or 2 quality opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT