ADVERTISEMENT

MVP

purpleace

All State Poster
Oct 22, 2010
SO FAR IS;#3KING FHHS ! ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE !KICKOFFS ARE TOUCHBACKS;PUNTS DISAPPEAR ABOVE THE LIGHTS ! CAN PLAY SAFETY ,QB & EVERY COLLEGE WANTS THE KING ! PS THE KING IS A JR! GOTO WAIT BAMA LAMA !

Reactions: Redwhite90
SO FAR IS;#3KING FHHS ! ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE !KICKOFFS ARE TOUCHBACKS;PUNTS DISAPPEAR ABOVE THE LIGHTS ! CAN PLAY SAFETY ,QB & EVERY COLLEGE WANTS THE KING ! PS THE KING IS A JR! GOTO WAIT BAMA LAMA !

Bama or Clemson.

Playing safety is a good way to prematurely end his kicking career. Why jeopardize a free ride to practically anywhere U.?
because that's what this coach does...it's just like year after year the qb is the safety. maybe they didn't have a chance to go to bama but this kid does. you are 100% right.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Gee, let's put him in bubble wrap before he leaves his house each morning. No one wants to see a kid get hurt, but if he wants to play, and he can play, allow him to do so. Otherwise we're teaching him to go around being afraid. That's not the way anyone should live. I don't think that I've seen a 145 pounder with as much ability and spunk as this kid has, and I can go back a long time!!! No matter what, I hope this young man goes far!

Gee, let's put him in bubble wrap before he leaves his house each morning. No one wants to see a kid get hurt, but if he wants to play, and he can play, allow him to do so. Otherwise we're teaching him to go around being afraid. That's not the way anyone should live. I don't think that I've seen a 145 pounder with as much ability and spunk as this kid has, and I can go back a long time!!! No matter what, I hope this young man goes far!
playing safety at fh, kicking for alabama...yeh, no brainer - totally worth the risk.

Oh, I understand now. Maybe his parents should keep him inside and home school him until it's time to go to college. The young man has an exceptional gift. But I'd hate to see that gift become a curse and it will if interferes with his ability to just be a young man in high school playing a sport he loves.

Most of the top kickers don't play a position on the field in high school anymore. I respect the fact that the young man wants to play safety but you have to be smart about it. Last thing you want is another Andre Pope situation. I know slightly apples and oranges but a good example of how a freak injury can derail a college scholarship. It's not like FH doesn't have the numbers that he has to play back there.

I understand what you are saying. And I also remember what happened to Andre, but if he had committed, he would have still had a full D1 ride. (no take backs for the colleges at the D1 level) That's just the advantage of an early commitment. Those types of injuries are rare. My point is where do you stop? Should his parents allow him to ride in or drive a car? He may get in an accident! How about a motorcycle? I'm 65 and I still ride, so does my crazy tattooed wife! (that's right, she has her own bike.) My bottom line is that we need to let kids grow and enjoy their high school experience. If this young man wants to play safety and can earn that right, let him be there. ( hopefully at 145 pounds the man upstairs will smile upon him!)

One last note. Todd has the final say. In his tenure he has always done the right thing for his kids. It doesn't matter if you agree with him or not, the kids best interest are always in the back of his mind. He has been a blessing to the Fort Hill program, and the school itself. I may or may not agree with him, but I'll always back him whatever decision he makes.

I understand what you are saying. And I also remember what happened to Andre, but if he had committed, he would have still had a full D1 ride. (no take backs for the colleges at the D1 level) That's just the advantage of an early commitment. Those types of injuries are rare. My point is where do you stop? Should his parents allow him to ride in or drive a car? He may get in an accident! How about a motorcycle? I'm 65 and I still ride, so does my crazy tattooed wife! (that's right, she has her own bike.) My bottom line is that we need to let kids grow and enjoy their high school experience. If this young man wants to play safety and can earn that right, let him be there. ( hopefully at 145 pounds the man upstairs will smile upon him!)

One last note. Todd has the final say. In his tenure he has always done the right thing for his kids. It doesn't matter if you agree with him or not, the kids best interest are always in the back of his mind. He has been a blessing to the Fort Hill program, and the school itself. I may or may not agree with him, but I'll always back him whatever decision he makes.

Both Mark Manges and Steve Trimble started on defense. Don't remember any mashing of teeth about those decisions. But then again no one was going to suggest to Coach that it was a mistake. That would have been a good one-way conversation to hear.

Last edited:

Kind of going to extremes aren't you? Who said he couldn't drive? And not really sure that playing safety fills the high school experience any more than not playing. If you wanted them to enjoy the high school experience, the time in the weight room and at practice would be cut.

And actually, no, Appel doesn't have the final say. The kid does.

Reactions: hbpass2
Both Mark Manges and Steve Trimble started on defense. Don't remember any mashing of teeth about those decisions. But then again no one was going to suggest to Coach that it was a mistake. That would have been a good one-way conversation to hear.

Didn't Trimble play defense at Maryland? It's what he was recruited for.

Didn't Trimble play defense at Maryland? It's what he was recruited for.

The 1976 Terp Media Guide has him and Lyle Peck, along with about 15 other recruits, as "backs." If you look at the years before and after, most signees had both their offensive and defensive positions listed. I guess Jerry wanted to keep his options open with them all.

Kind of going to extremes aren't you? Who said he couldn't drive? And not really sure that playing safety fills the high school experience any more than not playing. If you wanted them to enjoy the high school experience, the time in the weight room and at practice would be cut.

And actually, no, Appel doesn't have the final say. The kid does.
You make an excellent point. When somebody goes to that kind of extreme it's either they are trying a little too hard or they think they've lost the argument. The original point made was it worth the risk. It is up to the kid and his parents. If they truly want him to play db or any other position besides kicker then so be it. It's hard to say no when the coach wants you to do it but not many kids from Cumberland get the kind of opportunity this one appears to have...sacrificing a little playing time at db for fh is nothing compared to what happens if he gets hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT