ADVERTISEMENT

MPSSAA 1A West Point Standings - the scramble is on

What are Hampshire and University classified as in Maryland. I thought both would at least be 2A in Maryland classifications.

What are Hampshire and University classified as in Maryland. I thought both would at least be 2A in Maryland classifications.
WV does enrollment numbers different than MD. At least when it comes to dividing all the schools into different classes. WV uses grades 9-12 as their guide. MD uses grades 9-11. University should be 2A. And by the numbers I got on WVSSAC site, Hampshire should have been 2A as well. Any insight into that piece Todd. I will ask MPSSAA to take a look at MR's points tomorrow. They are usually almost always right. But they have MR at 15 win points before UHS game. That means they gave them 1A win points for wins over Frankfort, Alco, and Hampshire. By the numbers I saw, HHS has around 840 students in grades 9-11(I was being conservative with my math as well), that would put them in the lower third of 2A in MD.

Reactions: CrickRat23
Once again, good teams are going to sit home for the playoffs. All because idiots in Baltimore have the flawed logic that all regions should get a chance, regardless of whether or not they suck. Pointless to gripe, but it sure is frustrating.

WV does enrollment numbers different than MD. At least when it comes to dividing all the schools into different classes. WV uses grades 9-12 as their guide. MD uses grades 9-11. University should be 2A. And by the numbers I got on WVSSAC site, Hampshire should have been 2A as well. Any insight into that piece Todd. I will ask MPSSAA to take a look at MR's points tomorrow. They are usually almost always right. But they have MR at 15 win points before UHS game. That means they gave them 1A win points for wins over Frankfort, Alco, and Hampshire. By the numbers I saw, HHS has around 840 students in grades 9-11(I was being conservative with my math as well), that would put them in the lower third of 2A in MD.

Here is what the MPSSAA uses for WV classifications:
https://zoomwv.k12.wv.us/Dashboard/portalHome.jsp
Jason Bursick at the MPSSAA was kind enough to provide me this info.

Once there click on the ENROLLMENT arrow at the top and then HEADCOUNT. Once there click on SY17-18 SCHOOL COMPOSITION link on the right. A spreadsheet will open that lists every single school in WV and their enrollments for every grade.

If you add up Hampshire here are their numbers:
9th grade: 257 students
10th grade: 235 students
11th grade: 229 students
TOTAL: 721 students - that is Class 1A in Maryland

This is actually a pretty cool spreadsheet to look through. It is an official count by the state of WV and it is very accurate. Hope that helps.

Also of note...the MPSSAA has made a mistake with their own 1A West point totals looking at their most recent Week 5 totals. Both Allegany and Boonsboro should have another bonus point from Silver Oak, who defeated Maryland Freedom 6-0 in overtime two weeks ago. The MPSSAA has not picked up on that game yet so their Week 5 points from last week are not correct. They will adjust. Silver Oak is also who FH plays next and every bonus point is key with the races being so tight right now. By my projections, if FH and Catoctin both finish undefeated it will be very close as to who is that #1 seed. I think FH may get the nod but it will be close based on what other beaten opponents do from here on out.

My math failed me. I added an extra 100 students on to that. Hampshire is at the top of 1A. Not 2A. MPSSAA is correct.

Once again, good teams are going to sit home for the playoffs. All because idiots in Baltimore have the flawed logic that all regions should get a chance, regardless of whether or not they suck. Pointless to gripe, but it sure is frustrating.

Coach Appel says that......"it's whining". No matter who says it, the playoff system is bad.

Will the MD playoff system ever get fixed??? I'm from WV and love our playoff system and have seen teams do amazing things from lower seeds over the years because of the schedule they played. Mussleman came in as the 16 seed one year and won AA partly because they were well prepared from playing a tough schedule. What will it take to fix MD's playoff system?

Will the MD playoff system ever get fixed??? I'm from WV and love our playoff system and have seen teams do amazing things from lower seeds over the years because of the schedule they played. Mussleman came in as the 16 seed one year and won AA partly because they were well prepared from playing a tough schedule. What will it take to fix MD's playoff system?

Where do I start? LOL
For starters, it would be nice if Maryland aligned their week 1 game with PA, WV, VA and DC. Maryland always a week behind the surrounding states. What that does is create scheduling chaos with teams that live close to the borders of these states. As for the playoffs...whatever Baltimore, Montgomery and PG County wants...is what happens. Not just with athletics.

Reactions: Waggle Pass

It's been that way for 25 or so years now. The winner of each region always got in the playoffs. The mistake was going to 16 teams in the playoffs. Not with four classes. Eight is fine.

Week 6 point standings hot off the press
http://forthillfootball.net/schedules/2018/mpssaa_1A_west.htm

Fort Hill holds on to top spot by less than one-tenth of a point over Catoctin.

The scramble for those last two playoff spots is on between five teams with two losses. Should make for an interesting last half of the season.

I just went on to the up to date MPSSAA Point Standings and Catoctin is now the top team in 1A West. Catoctin's Point Average is 8.67 and Fort Hill's Point Average is 8.50. I think Fort Hill would kill them in a head to head meeting, but Fort Hill may have to go to Frederick County to play if they both end up undefeated. There's much football left to be played so anything is possible.

I just went on to the up to date MPSSAA Point Standings and Catoctin is now the top team in 1A West. Catoctin's Point Average is 8.67 and Fort Hill's Point Average is 8.50. I think Fort Hill would kill them in a head to head meeting, but Fort Hill may have to go to Frederick County to play if they both end up undefeated. There's much football left to be played so anything is possible.
Catoctin squeaked by Southern, fh squeaked by southern.

Reactions: camper21502
I think the playoffs in the region could be very interesting this year. It seems to be less of a difference between teams this year.

The MPSSAA has Williamsport down for two wins. I believe that they have only won one so far this year. If I'm right, this will move Catoctin behind Fort Hill. At any rate, it will be a race for the number one seed this year.

Catoctin squeaked by Southern, fh squeaked by southern.
Southern was up 13 to 0 on Catoctin early when they got complacent . Many penalties later and some amazing catches , Catoctin was right back in it. I'm not sure Catoctin could stop FH on D but they do have some receivers and a nice athletic QB that can sling it.

Last edited:
The MPSSAA totals are incorrect with numerous teams.
In the 1A West alone, they did not give credit to Boonsboro or Allegany for the win Silver Oak has over Maryland Freedom. And they did not give Fort Hill the credit for Capital Christian winning this past weekend over Central Maryland Christian. Fort Hill should have 14.40 bonus points not 13.50 - which puts them in the top spot. But Catoctin will likely take the top spot the next two weeks with FH playing Silver Oak and Forest Park. Then FH will likely take the top spot back if they can beat Mtn Ridge and Alco. That is my prediction but anything can obviously happen.

The MPSSAA totals will all be adjusted. But the totals I have posted at the top are 100% accurate.

Where do I start? LOL
For starters, it would be nice if Maryland aligned their week 1 game with PA, WV, VA and DC. Maryland always a week behind the surrounding states. What that does is create scheduling chaos with teams that live close to the borders of these states. As for the playoffs...whatever Baltimore, Montgomery and PG County wants...is what happens. Not just with athletics.

I don't know what B-More schools want, but Moco isn't happy with the playoff system either. Mainly because most years they have three 4A schools that could contend for the title.

Also, they updated the point totals

Saw this on another board, a proposal that was sent out for approval and review, maybe this was known and i missed it but apparently change may be coming for real...

Everyone makes post season. I believe top 8 in each region go to the playoffs with bottom teams in a consolation bracket. Playoffs would start one week earlier. 9 regular season games. Everyone still would play minimum of 10 a bunch of teams would play 11 now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT