ADVERTISEMENT

Maury vs Highland Springs on NFHS. Now

I’m watching freedom out of Virginia play right now on NFHS. If you want to see an amazing short passing game check this out. It is almost impossible to stop to run when you have this kind of short passing game

I’m watching freedom out of Virginia play right now on NFHS. If you want to see an amazing short passing game check this out. It is almost impossible to stop to run when you have this kind of short passing game
Did you happen to watch the Division 1 game with Riverheads? You should watch it if you haven't, classic Wing-T with little to no passing all season. They run multiple plays that I've never even see FH try. If FH is never going to develop a short passing game I think some of these plays would be a nice addition. They have frickin' won seven state titles in a row, they know what they are doing. Also, their community really gets behind them, it's reminiscent of the good old days at FH.

Did you happen to watch the Division 1 game with Riverheads? You should watch it if you haven't, classic Wing-T with little to no passing all season. They run multiple plays that I've never even see FH try. If FH is never going to develop a short passing game I think some of these plays would be a nice addition. They have frickin' won seven state titles in a row, they know what they are doing. Also, their community really gets behind them, it's reminiscent of the good old days at FH.
Not sure what you mean by “Also, their community really gets behind them; it’s reminiscent of the good old days at FH.”

Are you talking about the early 80s when there were just under 20,000 students in Allegany County, or are you dissing the current community as there are just over 8,000 students in Allegany County in the present day?

From 1970 to the early 1980s, graduating classes at FH ranged from 370-410. The average graduating class at FH over the last 10 years is - at most - 50% of what it was in from 1970 - 1982 or so.

If you are insinuating the FH community, as small as it currently is, does not get behind FH, you are wrong.

I do believe FH has won 7 titles over the last 9-10 years, so I would say the coaching staffs, past and present, know what they are doing, too. 😊

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by “Also, their community really gets behind them; it’s reminiscent of the good old days at FH.”

Are you talking about the early 80s when there were just under 20,000 students in Allegany County, or are you dissing the current community as there are just over 8,000 students in Allegany County in the present day?

From 1970 to the early 1980s, graduating classes at FH ranged from 370-410. The average graduating class at FH over the last 10 years is - at most - 50% of what it was in from 1970 - 1982 or so.

If you are insinuating the FH community, as small as it currently is, does not get behind FH, you are wrong.

I do believe FH has won 7 titles over the last 9-10 years, so I would say the coaching staffs, past and present, know what they are doing, too. 😊
In all due respect to the coaching staff at Fort Hill. They nearly lost that game to Mountain Ridge
just watch any of these teams that are great please. They will not let you put five and seven man fronts up on the line. They open you up with a short passing game. Then they pound the ball down your throat.

it was ridiculous watching Fort Hill run the ball over and over for 2 yard clips. Thank goodness they threw two swing passes. Trust me these Fort Hill games do not have to be this close. This Really should be football 101.

The reason Fort Hill wins is because we have great tradition and a fantastic feeder program. We develop tough nosed kids that do the basics extremely well. . Please help these kids out by developing a short passing game. We may not be in 1a forever!
We are great but we can be so much better!!

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
In all due respect to the coaching staff at Fort Hill. They nearly lost that game to Mountain Ridge
just watch any of these teams that are great please. They will not let you put five and seven man fronts up on the line. They open you up with a short passing game. Then they pound the ball down your throat.

it was ridiculous watching Fort Hill run the ball over and over for 2 yard clips. Thank goodness they threw two swing passes. Trust me these Fort Hill games do not have to be this close. This Really should be football 101.

The reason Fort Hill wins is because we have great tradition and a fantastic feeder program. We develop tough nosed kids that do the basics extremely well. . Please help these kids out by developing a short passing game. We may not be in 1a forever!
The only games this season that were close was homecoming where FH still won by 2 scores and mountain ridge in the state title game where ridge was favored

Only in south Cumberland can people find something to criticize when FH wins another state championship. SMH…

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Fort hill won two games on field goals at the end of the game.. Both games in my opinion should have been blowouts. That’s what happens when teams have players that are on a similar level and know that you will not pass the football.

Let me ask you a question. If the Fort Hill kicker misses that field goal on the last play of the game.. Would you still Think that the coaches gave their players the best chance to win tht game. ?

Last edited:
Only in south Cumberland can people find something to criticize when FH wins another state championship. SMH…
Watch some football other than the state of Maryland and you will start to understand what good teams do. why do you think that Fort Hill lost consistently through the 80s and 90s when they got into the playoffs.. i’ll tell you why. there were a lot of good teams then and we ran up the middle on nine out of 10 plays.

Fort hill won two games on field goals at the end of the game.. Both games in my opinion should have been blowouts. That’s what happens when teams have players that are on a similar level and know that you will not pass the football.

Let me ask you a question. If the Fort Hill kicker misses that field goal on the last play of the game.. Would you still Think that the coaches gave their players the best chance to win tht game. ?
In response to your question:

When FH was manhandled by MR on October 7th, the sun came up the next day in Cumberland.

When FH won on a last second FG at the state championship game, the sun came up the next day in Frostburg.

I don’t deal with “what if” - I deal with reality, and FH won the state championship.

End of story…

When FH was manhandled by MR on October 7th, the sun came up the next day in Cumberland.

When FH won on a last second FG at the state championship game, the sun came up the next day in Frostburg.

I don’t deal with “what if” - I deal with reality, and FH won the state championship.

End of story…

What he fails to mention is that Ridge and many of the other teams that FH has played in the playoffs the last several years did those things......and Fort Hill still beat them.

Reactions: Harleydeuce
Watch some football other than the state of Maryland and you will start to understand what good teams do. why do you think that Fort Hill lost consistently through the 80s and 90s when they got into the playoffs.. i’ll tell you why. there were a lot of good teams then and we ran up the middle on nine out of 10 plays.
I'm sure Zack can use you as a coach......then you, yourself, can be in the public's eye and questioned for the things you do.

So you never said if you saw the game I mentioned. since you were watching another va title game just thought you might have. I wondered since we both want a short passing game if after seeing this game you could see fh using some of the offense somebody else running a wing-t uses and maybe just give up on the short passing game.

End of story

So you never said if you saw the game I mentioned. since you were watching another va title game just thought you might have. I wondered since we both want a short passing game if after seeing this game you could see fh using some of the offense somebody else running a wing-t uses and maybe just give up on the short passing game.
I'm sure Zack can use you as a coach......then you, yourself, can be in the public's eye and questioned for the things you do.
i’m pretty sure the sun doesn’t have anything to do with Forthill football. Horrible playcalling has everything to do with it. there is no way he would hire me to be on the coaching staff because if Mountain Ridge loaded their whole defense up in the box they would lose by a lot more than two points. 🤣🤣

Hot damn, love your point of view. It TOTALLY agrees with mine.
Like I said earlier Shook was Todd's OC a while back. It lasted 2 games then Todd decided to take the OC job himself.
Keep up the great work you do with the kids!!!!

Don't understand what the beef with Shook is. He joined the coaching staff in 2012 and had the Freshmen teams. He joined the Varsity in 2019, Todd had been in the booth many years prior to that. I've seen Shook get a raw deal throughout his high school career. I remember watching him against Hedgesville his senior year. It was a breakout game for him, and he showed that he was the team leader. I figured it was all over and yet, here we are again, only twenty some years later.

Both Alkire and Shook are young. Do they make mistakes, sure, and do I agree with everything that they do, absolutely not. But what most of us don't realize is the things that they do right. This team could have easily folded but the coaches held them together. The Mt. Ridge games wound up being a 24 point swing. That's a pretty big deal. Against Old Mill and Ridge #2 The coaches had their kids in a position to win the game at the end. As fans, what more can you want? I think that we'll see more passing in the future, but it should be a slow process. (I remember the Chaney nightmare where he changed the offense in mid season!) These things take time. Just think back a little, when Ridge was an broken bone offense. Then, the following year, they went to a passing / option read team. They fell off the radar for years, and just recently emerged as a contender. I'm selfish in that I don't want to see Fort Hill go through that swing. I think that this staff realized that it's better to allow the team to evolve rather than reinvent itself. That's great insight and great coaching. The passing game needs to be worked on but , until then, just run the DAMN ball!

I have no issues with FH running the ball as much as they do. The success rate is tops in the nation. But when they do pass I did not understand why 90% of the time they were long pass routes this year. The success rate on long passes are low.

FH has been in dire need of a receivers coach/passing game coordinator. That need has been going on for at least a quarter century. It's not a matter of throwing the ball more, it's a matter of doing it correctly when they choose to do so.

FH receivers fail every category...
1. The receivers don't run hard, crisp routes
2. The receivers are too close together on many routes
3. The routes are too long
4. The receivers do not understand scramble drill when the QB is in trouble

i’m pretty sure the sun doesn’t have anything to do with Forthill football. Horrible playcalling has everything to do with it. there is no way he would hire me to be on the coaching staff because if Mountain Ridge loaded their whole defense up in the box they would lose by a lot more than two points. 🤣
I have no issues with FH running the ball as much as they do. The success rate is tops in the nation. But when they do pass I did not understand why 90% of the time they were long pass routes this year. The success rate on long passes are low.

FH has been in dire need of a receivers coach/passing game coordinator. That need has been going on for at least a quarter century. It's not a matter of throwing the ball more, it's a matter of doing it correctly when they choose to do so.

FH receivers fail every category...
1. The receivers don't run hard, crisp routes
2. The receivers are too close together on many routes
3. The routes are too long
4. The receivers do not understand scramble drill when the QB is in trouble
very well said!!

Don't understand what the beef with Shook is. He joined the coaching staff in 2012 and had the Freshmen teams. He joined the Varsity in 2019, Todd had been in the booth many years prior to that. I've seen Shook get a raw deal throughout his high school career. I remember watching him against Hedgesville his senior year. It was a breakout game for him, and he showed that he was the team leader. I figured it was all over and yet, here we are again, only twenty some years later.

Both Alkire and Shook are young. Do they make mistakes, sure, and do I agree with everything that they do, absolutely not. But what most of us don't realize is the things that they do right. This team could have easily folded but the coaches held them together. The Mt. Ridge games wound up being a 24 point swing. That's a pretty big deal. Against Old Mill and Ridge #2 The coaches had their kids in a position to win the game at the end. As fans, what more can you want? I think that we'll see more passing in the future, but it should be a slow process. (I remember the Chaney nightmare where he changed the offense in mid season!) These things take time. Just think back a little, when Ridge was an broken bone offense. Then, the following year, they went to a passing / option read team. They fell off the radar for years, and just recently emerged as a contender. I'm selfish in that I don't want to see Fort Hill go through that swing. I think that this staff realized that it's better to allow the team to evolve rather than reinvent itself. That's great insight and great coaching. The passing game needs to be worked on but , until then, just run the DAMN ball!
I agree wholeheartedly with most of what you were saying. I want to see Fort Hill continue to do the things they do great. Running the ball from the wing T is essential. !!

When teams load up in the box like mountain ridge did you kill them with swing passes and screens. High percentage short passing game so you spread them back out, then go back and run the ball up and down the field.

That’s what the beef with shook is. It’s nothing personal just basic x and o football

The 7 on 7 during the summer months are treated more or less like pickup games. Everything that Todd has mentioned can be worked on during these events. Baby steps are important.

Reactions: Tony54
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT