ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland/DC High School Football Talk

Maryland Varsity

Jul 18, 2013
Find out what some of the top players in the state are saying about how football has been going as of late!

......................................................................................................

Q&A with Decatur wide receiver Brycen Coleman
How has everything been going football wise as of late?
“Great! I think everyone is getting better day by day.”

Going forward, what do you feel your team can continue to improve on?
“Going forward, our team needs to just keep being comfortable in tough situations. Everyone left in the playoffs is there for a reason so we have to know not every game will be a blowout. So staying comfortable in those situations is something the team needs to focus on.”

Have you been pleased with your performances?
“N/A.”

How do you feel about the play of your team?
“I have been very pleased with how the team has played! I feel everyone is playing for the same thing and the seniors are playing every game like it’s their last. I love the play of our offense, keeping it up tempo and throwing the ball. Our guys aren’t afraid of any wind or rain, they will catch the ball and protect the ball. Our offense also has all the confidence in the defense so if we need to punt, we have full faith in the defense stopping them and putting the ball back in the offense’s hand.”

What are your sporting goals going forward as of now?
“The goals are [to take it] one week at a time, execute and eliminate the little mistakes and trust we will come out on top.”

......................................................................................................
Q&A with John Carroll defensive back Alfred Johnson III
“Football has been going great for me. I’ve been flying around the field and making plays. I have definitely improved as a player and as a DB since my sophomore season.”

“My team’s play speaks for itself. We have one of the best defenses in the MIAA. In order for us to go where we want winning wise, our offense has to put points on the board.”

“My play this season has been spectacular, as of right now I am one of the leading tacklers in the MIAA at my position and overall.”

“The way my team has been playing this season is the way I imagined us during the summer. Our chemistry is off the charts and I’m excited for what the future holds.”

“I want to keep doing what I have been doing, tackling, PBUs, and INTs.”

Q&A with Richard Montgomery quarterback Anthony Dixon
“Everything has been going great, I feel like I’m in a good place right now and around some people who trust me.”

“I feel like my team needs to improve on really just communicating and listening. I feel like that [was] one of the cons of our heartbreaking season.”

“Some games I’ve been pleased with, but I feel like I could’ve done more to help my team win [such as] me being consistent.”

“I feel like my team played hard every game, we were battling adversity every game and we overcame that, I just feel like we could’ve won the games that we didn’t. But you can’t change the outcome.”

“My sporting goals are to make it to a D1 college for football and have a great career there so I can make it to my main goal which is the NFL.”

Q&A with John Carroll quarterback Ben Shutt
How has everything with the football season been going so far?
“The season has gone pretty well, much better than expected. Following an 0-10 season last year with little expectations, we have put ourselves back into playoff contention.”

Have you been pleased with how you have played this season?
“I am pretty content with how I've played this year. I've rotated throughout different linebacker positions, which is new to me this year. Despite being my first year as an LB, I feel I've settled into the position pretty well.”

How do you feel your team has played?
“I feel like our team has played much more as a TEAM than last year, when [there] was a lot of individualism. That is one of the main reasons why we've had a lot more success.”

What do you feel your team can improve on?
“Having a new coaching staff will always result in hiccups at the start. Things have smoothed out as games have gone on and players are really starting to believe in the offensive and defensive schemes. If we start scoring more points as well, I think we will be better off in future games.”

What are the keys for your team being successful going forward?
“Some keys for us to be successful in the playoffs as well as next year are to keep trusting the coaches and doing our individual jobs. People doing their own things often results in mishaps.”

Q&A with Archbishop Spalding athlete Tyler Brown
“Everything has been going really fast. We’re currently 10-1, so 11 games into the season and it seems like the season just started. We’re coming to the end of our season with the championship being next Friday against Calvert Hall.”

“The two main things that we have to continue improving on is tackling and blocking. I feel that if we do those two things better than Calvert Hall next Friday, we’ll walk away MIAA A Champions.”

“I’m never pleased with my performances. Our coaching staff holds our team to a high standard so each week I’m working to do better than I did the previous week. Our entire team has that mindset, which is why I feel that we’ve made it this far.”

“We’re a really tough team when we’re all playing together and all on the same page. When we come to play as a team, we’re really hard to beat. Our coaching staff puts us in a position each week to be successful, so as players, we have to come out and execute the game plan to the best of our ability.”

“Each week my goal is to win the game of that week. I never look past teams. Last week my goal was to beat McDonogh, and this upcoming week is to beat Calvert Hall in the Championship and become MIAA A Champs.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News