ADVERTISEMENT

How did the Quad go today?

Its football let the kid play you think if one of kick offs doesn't make the endzone somebody ain't going to take a shot at him on the return. Maybe he should be wrapped in bubble wrap. If he is the best qb on the team and wants to play yhen let him.

Maybe he should be wrapped in bubble wrap.

So.... not having the young man handle every snap is wrapping him in bubble wrap? Really?

And that is why the NFL, in its infinite wisdom, has never changed any rules regarding safety of the game. Right? That is also why quarterbacks, who have the most experience handling the football, invariably also return punts. Right? And, when receivers are covered, that is why FH's most potent weapon after crossing mid-field will be lugging the football for positive yardage... or for a loss. Right?

The young man is one 'alligator roll' away from a lost mega-million career and you want him to lug the ball. Hey, why not? You'll never see the kind of money he can earn.... So, fug-'em. Another red-jacket win is worth it... right?

Reactions: GenSneaky
He’s a high school football player playing high school football. Don’t get this issue twisted it’s just another way for people to complain because Appel wins 91 percent of his games and the kids love him. Meanwhile allegany can barely field a team.

Reactions: RedPride97
I think the main problem here is that some of us are introverted, and others are extroverted.

Some plan for the future to have a great chance at success, while other feel successful when they are enjoying the moment, however brief it may be.

After high school football, life happens.

Sacrifice is a wonderful thing.... self sacrifice that is, if done by someone who is willing and capable of fully understanding the gravity of their decision. We now have kickers in the NFL with 33 million dollar contracts (Sebastian Janikowski – $33,000,000). So, consider the potential for young King and whether he, at his age, is qualified to sacrifice his mega-million dollar leg? Young folks always see themselves as indestructible.

Obviously the coach, who could never dream of such a personal financial reward, is willing to sacrifice something not his own. And obviously the parents would never buck the coach nor would the red-jackets in this forum.

This year, taking one for the team may have a whole new meaning in Cumberland.

1.25 million people die in car accidents every year. Maybe potential scholarship kickers shouldn't drive either. Don't be a fear monger.

I've never seen anyone have success in football with the fear of injury churning in their head. Kicking and punting the ball takes just as much risk because when a kicker is extended with a heavy pass rush every time it can be season ending. But you don't think about that when you kick the ball. Besides, is there really such a thing as career ending injury? A torn ACL, a broken leg, concussions...in the long run maybe. But it is extremely rare to see them end a young career very often. In other words, when was the last time you have seen a kid from this area playing football have a career ending injury? I have seen kids tear their ACL and keep playing that season. Don't be a fear monger. Danny has as much chance of getting rolled up kicking extra points or punting as he does playing QB. And even if he did, he would be fine. This is up to Danny and his parents to decide, not us.

What I hear in this debate...is that if you have a college scholarship, then you should probably not play at all your senior year out of fear of getting a career ending injury. Once again, kickers and punters are very susceptible to injury...from knees to ankles to groin muscles. I will never, ever buy that philosophy of sitting out or taking it easy their final senior season. Live. Life happens.

Last edited:
1.25 million people die in car accidents every year. Maybe potential scholarship kickers shouldn't drive either. Don't be a fear monger.

I've never seen anyone have success in football with the fear of injury churning in their head. Kicking and punting the ball takes just as much risk because when a kicker is extended with a heavy pass rush every time it can be season ending. But you don't think about that when you kick the ball. Besides, is there really such a thing as career ending injury? A torn ACL, a broken leg, concussions...in the long run maybe. But it is extremely rare to see them end a young career very often. In other words, when was the last time you have seen a kid from this area playing football have a career ending injury? I have seen kids tear their ACL and keep playing that season. Don't be a fear monger. Danny has as much chance of getting rolled up kicking extra points or punting as he does playing QB. And even if he did, he would be fine. This is up to Danny and his parents to decide, not us.

What I hear in this debate...is that if you have a college scholarship, then you should probably not play at all your senior year out of fear of getting a career ending injury. Once again, kickers and punters are very susceptible to injury...from knees to ankles to groin muscles. I will never, ever buy that philosophy of sitting out or taking it easy their final senior season. Live. Life happens.

when was the last time you have seen a kid from this area playing football have a career ending injury?

How many have there been with this kind of unique opportunity and skill? I don't quite see a shit happens attitude and 'fear mongering' accusation really fits here. Then again, this is exactly what I expected.

kickers and punters are very susceptible to injury

Danny has as much chance of getting rolled up kicking extra points or punting as he does playing QB

I just don't see it at any level. Even in the NFL where the quarterbacks head for the sidelines or slide, they get hurt with the ball; whereas, I can't remember the last time I saw a kicker carried off the field and I have been watching football long before a lot of folks around here were born.

when was the last time you have seen a kid from this area playing football have a career ending injury?

How many have there been with this kind of unique opportunity and skill? I don't quite see a shit happens attitude and 'fear mongering' accusation really fits here. Then again, this is exactly what I expected.

kickers and punters are very susceptible to injury

Danny has as much chance of getting rolled up kicking extra points or punting as he does playing QB

I just don't see it at any level. Even in the NFL where the quarterbacks head for the sidelines or slide, they get hurt with the ball; whereas, I can't remember the last time I saw a kicker carried off the field and I have been watching football long before a lot of folks around here were born.
Bengals Steelers few years back the Bengals punter got laid out with a broken jaw

I think the main problem here is that some of us are introverted, and others are extroverted.

Some plan for the future to have a great chance at success, while other feel successful when they are enjoying the moment, however brief it may be.

After high school football, life happens.
Ultimately its up to him and his parents i don't believe coach would force him so i think the kid wants to be the qd plain and simple

Ah I see...you operate under the "I'll make a very broad, far-reaching statement that is my opinion, and if no one proves me wrong, I'll just claim it is fact."

Doesn't work that way. What MC, and now I, am saying is you can't just say something is true only because no one proves you otherwise.

I DONT (as in DO NOT) disagree with you that some players that originally go into college playing football, end up not continuing to play football. BUT...the statement by Nova is that "many, many" players go to play football and return after one year.Return where, home? Never complete their degree?

Is the problem that kids go to college and DONT play football? Or the problem that kids go to college to play football and end up NOT? I just think what we should be focusing on is how many of the kids who leave the FH football program go on to get a college degree, regardless of whether they play football or not.

I really don't care how many players get money for college because of sports or because of financial need or because of scholarships. Is is NOT a factual insinuation to say that MANY football players go on to college and don't finish their degree. SO maybe we're debating two different things, but I stand firm behind saying that the issue of players continuing to play football for 4 years in school is not directly related to how many earn a degree.

I'd like to see those numbers. I know in particular one fairly recent FH football graduate who initially went to play football and after a couple years decided that was too much on his body, transferred to FSU and got a Bachelors degree. Inferring that is a negative, because he didn't play football all four years, is quite frankly asinine.
Well actually it does work that way, and I can say it, and I did.

[/QUOTE]

Anybody remember Bill Gramatica?

Anybody remember Bill Gramatica?[/QUOTE]
he hurt himself Celebrating like an idiot.

Are you seriously trying to compare playing high school football to driving? I get your point, but that is an awful analogy.

Cars are the basis of our economy. Used by almost 200 million people every day to move goods and people all across the country. High school football is played by a handful of people every year.

According to your logic, why use a safety on a gun? Gun accidents are gonna happen, so just get it over with. Why wear a seatbelt or stop at a red light in a car? Wrecks happen, right? Just live your life.

And have we not had college players who know they are going to be drafted sit out in order to protect their status? Doesn't hurt them.

The kid owes nothing to FH football. If he never wants to step in Greenway again... good for him. If he wants to play on every play, good for him. I will never buy the philosophy that other people know what is best for you.

Are you seriously trying to compare playing high school football to driving? I get your point, but that is an awful analogy.

Cars are the basis of our economy. Used by almost 200 million people every day to move goods and people all across the country. High school football is played by a handful of people every year.

According to your logic, why use a safety on a gun? Gun accidents are gonna happen, so just get it over with. Why wear a seatbelt or stop at a red light in a car? Wrecks happen, right? Just live your life.

And have we not had college players who know they are going to be drafted sit out in order to protect their status? Doesn't hurt them.

The kid owes nothing to FH football. If he never wants to step in Greenway again... good for him. If he wants to play on every play, good for him. I will never buy the philosophy that other people know what is best for you.

Point well taken. The driving statement was an "outside the box" analogy I will agree. My point was more about American life than football. We fear so much. I saw people right after 9/11 buy security systems and wrap cling wrap around their windows because of the anthrax in the mail scare. Ah, hello...unless your house is air tight and oxygen is fed through a home system the cling wrap around your doors and windows won't stop anything.

Personally, if you are going to refer to the phrase "career ending injury" then I have some cling wrap to sell. Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? I have not seen anyone in the last ten years have a career ending injury around here. Lost for the season maybe, but not career ending. To even assume Danny is putting his life on the line by playing QB is a joke. And if that is your reasoning then Tre Smith should not play both ways for Mountain Ridge this fall. The chance of a career ending injury is much greater when a kid never comes off the field. The rationalization is the same in my eyes. Maybe not yours. But you cannot pick and choose when to use such an an injury analysis in football.

Maybe if running back Andre Pope didn't play his senior year at Fort Hill where a knee injury ended his season, he could have made millions playing in the NFL. But Pope did play college ball. You see?

If you are serious about your last paragraph then that about sums it up. He is playing QB and he is playing at Greenway. That's not for anyone else to decide what is best, so that's really the end of that.

We can disagree. It's actually a healthy thing.

Anybody remember Bill Gramatica?[/QUOTE]

If you have to go on an archeological dig to make a point, your logic is lost. Bottom line, King has already drawn the Golden Wonka Ticket. Millions await him for limited snaps with low risk. There are so few injuries for kickers at the pro level, that there are no comparative injury stats on that position.

Last edited:
Point well taken. The driving statement was an "outside the box" analogy I will agree. My point was more about American life than football. We fear so much. I saw people right after 9/11 buy security systems and wrap cling wrap around their windows because of the anthrax in the mail scare. Ah, hello...unless your house is air tight and oxygen is fed through a home system the cling wrap around your doors and windows won't stop anything.

Personally, if you are going to refer to the phrase "career ending injury" then I have some cling wrap to sell. Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? I have not seen anyone in the last ten years have a career ending injury around here. Lost for the season maybe, but not career ending. To even assume Danny is putting his life on the line by playing QB is a joke. And if that is your reasoning then Tre Smith should not play both ways for Mountain Ridge this fall. The chance of a career ending injury is much greater when a kid never comes off the field. The rationalization is the same in my eyes. Maybe not yours. But you cannot pick and choose when to use such an an injury analysis in football.

Maybe if running back Andre Pope didn't play his senior year at Fort Hill where a knee injury ended his season, he could have made millions playing in the NFL. But Pope did play college ball. You see?

If you are serious about your last paragraph then that about sums it up. He is playing QB and he is playing at Greenway. That's not for anyone else to decide what is best, so that's really the end of that.

Danny is putting his life on the line by playing QB

Who suggested that? I suggested not tempting fate. Big difference. There are 20 million lightning strikes in the US each year, yet only about 50 fatalities... good odds. That's probably what the fans at the Atlanta PGA tour were thinking. I guess you could say they were right because they were not killed.

Danny is putting his life on the line by playing QB

Who suggested that? I suggested not tempting fate. Big difference. There are 20 million lightning strikes in the US each year, yet only about 50 fatalities... good odds. That's probably what the fans at the Atlanta PGA tour were thinking. I guess you could say they were right because they were not killed.

There will be no multi-million dollar NFL contracts handed out this year to high school seniors.

You could fall down steps, if something is going happen it’s going happen, it’s not because he is playing qb.

What facts are you looking for?
It' the "facts" that he can't provide that dispute what I'm saying. You were right when you said an earlier thread it was already discussed how many are still away and that alone tells us all how many returned,...guess he's math challenged.
Charlie Lattimer once said to me in his office "if you challenge me, you better be able to prove me wrong, otherwise you are proving me right"....a wise man he was!

There will be no multi-million dollar NFL contracts handed out this year to high school seniors.

I didn't say that either. His leg is his Wonka ticket.... not for running down field.... not for shuffling back to pass. He has collegiate kicking skills now and all he needs to do is keep kicking and staying healthy so he can collect his paycheck down the road. You know it. I know it. Who the hell whose seen him kick doesn't know it? Why be so fuggin' catty about it. You know it's true.

Any other use of this young man's talent is fuggin' selfish. It is not this phenom's responsibility to plug FH's weakness at quarterback. It doesn't matter that he wants to or that his parents will not or cannot buck the system. Personally, I hope he has a very lucky year and gets the hell out of Dodge as they say.

All I hear watching a pro game is the yelling for the quarterback to slide. All I read around here is for King to muscle up and bang heads. So, who is disingenuous?

Anybody remember Bill Gramatica?

If you have to go on an archeological dig to make a point, your logic is lost. Bottom line, King has already drawn the Golden Wonka Ticket. Millions await him for limited snaps with low risk. There are so few injuries for kickers at the pro level, that there are no comparative injury stats on that position.[/QUOTE]

My point Lag, is that one does not even have to be touched to sustain a devastating injury.

I think you could go back and watch the past 2-3 years and see Penn States kicker get walloped and knocked out.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Per SOP from Lags, slim on the facts but a really entertaining narrative.

Is a declaration that someone else is slim on facts your contribution of a fact - or is it standard red-jacket opinion bolstered by the usual cluster.

Funny how you swallow this bilge from your buddy:

kickers and punters are very susceptible to injury - TH

I have checked for any evidence that the above comment is true. Pro stats show that, in fact, it is not true. Next time y'all try to circle the red wagons make sure there are wheels on 'em.

If you have to go on an archeological dig to make a point, your logic is lost. Bottom line, King has already drawn the Golden Wonka Ticket. Millions await him for limited snaps with low risk. There are so few injuries for kickers at the pro level, that there are no comparative injury stats on that position.

Nothing is guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

Who posted that something is guaranteed? All you guys are feeding me is that sometime.... somewhere in years gone by a kicker got hurt. Who posted that they never do? Point is.... they rarely do. Even statistically they are in very few snaps.

To say they face the same risk as a quarterback is ludicrous. The Pro numbers clearly show that to be false. There are so few kicker injuries they don't track them.

So... finally, if King has a great year tossing the football around do you think he will also get some quarterback snaps at WV.... or, do you think they will realize it would be galactically stupid to risk his world class kicking ability?

Help me understand why would someone said “let the debate begin”, but then almost instantly try to shut the debate down... it sounded like you wanted a critical argument, but rejected the notion of a debate.

Reactions: Lagmeister

Like I said, not disagreeing with the point.

One of the worst things any coach can say to a kid, in my opinion, is telling them that they should or shouldn't play other sports. A kid has four years in HS. Do what you want when it comes to playing sports. You want to be backup fullback instead of starting tight end... cool.

Who knows what Mickey Mantle could have done had he not almost lost his leg after breaking it and getting an infection while playing high school football. But he wanted to play and took the chance... cool.

I'm sure his baseball coach didnt want him playing football.

Same with LeBron. All-State football player. I'm sure neither coach wanted him to play other sports.

He played because he wanted to. Had he not played both, that would have been his decision to make.

I do have to say, when people have to pull Martin Gramatica out to show that kickers can get hurt, it kind of only reinforces the point of how much more likely quarterbacks get hurt.

Last edited:
My point Lag, is that one does not even have to be touched to sustain a devastating injury.

I think you could go back and watch the past 2-3 years and see Penn States kicker get walloped and knocked out.

Nothing is guaranteed.

So then why do teams stretch and do calisthenics before a game, when injuries still happen anyway? If those injuries are gonna happen, why waste time trying to prevent them? According to you, you can't prevent them.

You're almost making the argument that the victim of the firing squad has no more chance of dying than the people pulling the trigger. After all, a bullet might deflect and ricochet back at the shooter.

People are basically arguing that you might as well play russian roulette everyday, because there is still a chance you can get killed by an asteroid attack.

Last edited:
Is a declaration that someone else is slim on facts your contribution of a fact - or is it standard red-jacket opinion bolstered by the usual cluster.

Funny how you swallow this bilge from your buddy:

kickers and punters are very susceptible to injury - TH

I have checked for any evidence that the above comment is true. Pro stats show that, in fact, it is not true. Next time y'all try to circle the red wagons make sure there are wheels on 'em.

He's the QB. That's a fact.

The team will be better off for it. That's an assumption that we'll know sometime into the season if it transitions into a fact.

Any opinions on said individual's motivations, or his parents for that matter, are mere speculation. Unless you have personally talked to them.

It' the "facts" that he can't provide that dispute what I'm saying. You were right when you said an earlier thread it was already discussed how many are still away and that alone tells us all how many returned,...guess he's math challenged.
Charlie Lattimer once said to me in his office "if you challenge me, you better be able to prove me wrong, otherwise you are proving me right"....a wise man he was!

So what issue did you challenge him on?

Novaunicorn, your statement that many, many local players go to college to play football and end up returning is false. Period. You cant dispute that, you've nothing of any substance to support it. That's the bottom line. Listing a couple kids who are no longer playing from the earlier thread does not constitute "many". So I say your wrong; therefore, using your logic, I'm right.

And while Charlie Lattimer was a good coach, that quote of his is pretty stupid. That's like the whole argument of proving the existence of God. People who believe in God, say "you can't prove he doesn't exist"...those who don't, say "You cant prove he does."

You are more than welcome to believe your own opinion. It doesn't make it correct. And, just to clarify, it is not.

The team, the team's record and number of future championships are insignificant. That is not the mission of high school sports.

And sure, to suggest that King is being used to fill a weakness at quarterback is speculation on my part. Maybe FH has better talent but is choosing him. I don't know.

Also, nobody is going against the decision. Well, that is obvious since King is the quarterback. That is beyond speculation... but how everyone internally feels about it I have no idea. And... it doesn't matter... does it.

I am only giving my opinions based on what is posted here by others, based on being a parent and based on someone who follows some football. I claim no insider information, nor have I ever

Last edited:
Help me understand why would someone said “let the debate begin”, but then almost instantly try to shut the debate down... it sounded like you wanted a critical argument, but rejected the notion of a debate.

He's far from alone around here.

Where do you come up with try to shut the debate down? I took a side.

Playing devil's advocate...it was only two seasons ago we saw the Alco senior QB Cameron Bratton go down with a nasty Homecoming injury - shoulder if I recall correctly. The kid already had a full time baseball scholarship to a D1 school. Yet, Coach Hansel plays the "win at all cost" hand and had him to go in the playoff rematch with FH...a game FH won 21-20. So if you are on the side of why King should not play, then you would never ask Bratton go to under those conditions. The difference is that if I'm Coach Hansel, your dadgum right Bratton is playing even when he was only at about 75% at best. I'm on that side and support Coach Hansel's decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT