ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming game getting ugly...

Both coaches (Apple and Hansel) are both trying to validate both fullbacks (Banks and Robinette) to get POY.
WCBC has done more politicking for Karson than any political office in the city/ county. During election years, the political candidates will be on WCBC and Dave Norman always states "this time has been purchased by the candidate." Who is paying for Robinette's air time with WCBC? Paul Miller is the worst with Rock Cioni a very, very close 2nd. During Robinette's homecoming post game interview with Paul Miller, Miller started the conversation with a POY comment. Come Monday morning during WCBC's sports with Rock Cioni, he started the homecoming wrap up by reiterating the same POY comment.

Has Paul or Rock ever mentioned any other player, besides Robinette, for POY?

I wish WCBC would give Karson a "WCBC Player of the Year" trophy so Paul & Rock would be satisfied and move on.

Maybe Karson will earn the POY honors, I don't know. He has been awesome this year and may deserve it.

Trump & Clinton would both be proud of this campaigning.

Reactions: towpath94
Alco also did not prep for #21. I am pleasantly surprised at watching him mature as a running back. And he's still a junior.
I don’t think ALCO prepared for FH at all from the LINE, DBs, RBs to the QB.

I knew ALCO was in trouble when they stuck with the 5-2 as FH was rolling down the field during the first half. If you look at some plays, they were totally out-manned from just a schematic standpoint. In years past, ALCO's best games have been when they used a 6-2 to slow FH up. Dare we see a return to that 6-2 scheme after this week?

Reactions: camper21502
I knew ALCO was in trouble when they stuck with the 5-2 as FH was rolling down the field during the first half. If you look at some plays, they were totally out-manned from just a schematic standpoint. In years past, ALCO's best games have been when they used a 6-2 to slow FH up. Dare we see a return to that 6-2 scheme after this week?
In the 3rd quarter when FH ran their tight formation, no wide out, Allegany jumped into a 5-5-1 defense. Not a bad idea but FH 's line was able to get into Allegany's 2nd level and cause havoc.
Coach Hansel knows his players better than anyone. He will make the necessary changes that he feels will best suit his team. That is why Coach Hansel (and Coach Appel) are paid the big bucks.

C2953, thank you for catching that, my mistake. I was referring to Player of Game, D-Player of Game, and O-Player of game. I know FH's #5 received "rivals" player of game, I was referring to media's picks, the ones they've doing since 1977. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

WCBC has done more politicking for Karson than any political office in the city/ county. During election years, the political candidates will be on WCBC and Dave Norman always states "this time has been purchased by the candidate." Who is paying for Robinette's air time with WCBC? Paul Miller is the worst with Rock Cioni a very, very close 2nd. During Robinette's homecoming post game interview with Paul Miller, Miller started the conversation with a POY comment. Come Monday morning during WCBC's sports with Rock Cioni, he started the homecoming wrap up by reiterating the same POY comment.

I wish WCBC would give Karson a "WCBC Player of the Year" trophy so Paul & Rock would be satisfied and move on.

Maybe Karson will earn the POY honors, I don't know. He has been awesome this year and may deserve it.

Ma

Maybe because he deserves it... Do you think Banks would've had more success running against FH? Robinette had over 150yds against the sentinels behind a line that was getting destroyed.. This is a 6-4 maybe 5-5 team without #95.. He carries this team on both sides of the ball and on kickoffs as well lol...

Glad I'm not the only one to notice that! Not taking anything away from his athleticism, he is a beast and obviously works hard in the weight room but I personally don't think someone who takes cheap shots like he does should be awarded POY. They never seem to be noticed by the refs but my nephew has been the victim of dirty shots from him time and time again.
Hard hitting doesn't equal dirty.. This kid isn't dirty. He helps kids up after taking them off their feet. Ive seen him help injured opposing players like he did in Keyser...

Ma

Maybe because he deserves it... Do you think Banks would've had more success running against FH? Robinette had over 150yds against the sentinels behind a line that was getting destroyed.. This is a 6-4 maybe 5-5 team without #95.. He carries this team on both sides of the ball and on kickoffs as well lol...
I said maybe he does deserve it, I don't know the criteria. But all Miller & Cioni can talk about is Karson Robinette.
Could Banks have more success running against FH? Don't know. He had tough sledding most of the afternoon against Allegany.

Apparently Alco's coaches were talking about major defensive changes immediately after the game (I guess that's no surprise to any one). Do you guys think any changes in the defensive philosophy will make a difference in a second match-up against FH this season, or is Alco just plain and simple outmatched player for player?

The problem is the Alco coaching staff has been trying to make wholesale defensive changes after half of their games this season. Whether it was Dunbar, Chestnut Ridge, Williamsport, Keyser or FH the defense is giving up way to much way to easily via air and via the ground. They started the season in a new top secret 4-3, then to variations of a 6 man and 5 man line moving #95 all over the place in an effort to slow the bleeding.

Heading into the playoffs now the Alco defense is still searching for answers. FH did nothing new at Homecoming and won't if they meet again. If Alco is to have any chance at all they better learn to win with offense. It is too late to salvage a way to keep a team like FH, Douglass or Dunbar under 35 points. As a few Campers posters have pointed out, this defense isnt good and it's not just this week. Me thinks losing Tim Foley was a huge loss. They have to win grinding out lots of points. If the breakdown was just at Homecoming it would be one thing. But it has become repetitive all year.

Last edited:
Alco has a new DC and an entirely new defensive scheme this year, which obviously they're still trying to get right. Simple format: the more guys you have on the line, the more you need those linemen to make tackles, and vice versa.

Alco started with what looked like a 4-3 lineup early in the year, which I can't remember ever happening in the Cumberland area before. Teams always have run a 6-2, 5-3 or 4-4. Only having 7 guys on/near the line of scrimmage is almost suicide considering how much we all run the ball around here.

They may have made the switch based on personnel, but who knows? Might not have enough D-linemen to make up a strong 5 or 6 man front. Guess we'll see over the next week or two. Hopefully this offseason, the staff gets together and comes up with a new base scheme that works.

I always wonder how WV runs a 3-3-5. You can do it if those 3 down linemen are studs, but if not, other teams will run through you like crazy.

The problem with the Alco defense isnt where the kids are lined up. From what I saw on Saturday it's hard to make a tackle lying on your backside no matter where you play.

Alco wasn't in the wrong scheme for Homecoming. They just got physically whipped. Thought that was rather obvious to even the most novice observer.

Last edited:
I said maybe he does deserve it, I don't know the criteria. But all Miller & Cioni can talk about is Karson Robinette.
Could Banks have more success running against FH? Don't know. He had tough sledding most of the afternoon against Allegany.

I think it stems from the total FH sweep of the awards last year. I didn't even agree with how the awards were last year. All those co-winners LOL

Apparently Alco's coaches were talking about major defensive changes immediately after the game (I guess that's no surprise to any one). Do you guys think any changes in the defensive philosophy will make a difference in a second match-up against FH this season, or is Alco just plain and simple outmatched player for player?

a 8-5-4 defense might work for Alco

Honestly, and without discounting the great years other kids are having, Robinette would have to be the overwhelming favorite to win player of the year. When you look at what he has done offensively, defensively, and just his overall importance to his team, he has to be the favorite. The only person who could possibly have been right there with him is Brady Ours from Keyser, in terms of output on both sides of the ball, but still, Robinette is a clear favorite.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
Individual achievements in this town, it’s always a argument. As long as the State Champions come out of the West I’m fine . Kinda hard to argue with someone that has a state championship ring on their finger.

Having starting seniors in the game when you're up by 30 points with 2 minutes to go is questionable at best. Having seniors in the game who don't start when the game is over is the least you can do for these guys. having your starting qb and fb in the game as the clock is winding down seems wrong, what are you trying to prove?
Your 100% right FH is deep. I will say there is a few players on FH that if they would get injured you just can’t plug-in the next guy and get the same results.

WCBC is mainly an Alco Station, have you ever heard the FH Radio guys? they talk about players like they are gonna win the Heisman and go 1st pick in the NFL Draft.
that's what these people should do is fight for these kids and that's what happens with Politics.....

Does #4FH come off the field when the starters are in? The player has key blocks every game and may have the most pancake blocks in school history. When he is on defense playing often times he is basically getting tackled by the blocker and he still is making plays. Against FCA when the game was lost and it appeared that #4 was dinged up he was still playing as if the game was 0 to 0 making plays.

It would be hard-pressed for anyone not to vote him player of the year especially if FH wins the title again.

Last edited:
#20 FH is another good candidate for POY. He is team captain on defense leads team in tackles every year including this year. He is all time leading tackler in school history. He is lead blocker for #5 on offense. #20 don't make the wow hit like #4 but is around the ball all the time or in the tackle... #4 takes out the end and #20 take on lead blocker usaully linebacker anybody could run behind them 2. Both r good choices... My opinion POY should play both sides of the ball

I have to give the nod to Robinette as overall POY. Simply put he is the hub of the team. While Alco may struggle losing QB1, or a lineman or something...they could still pull it together.

Without Robinette, regardless, their offense would be non existent. And their defense is even weaker on the ends. He's the most critual ONE player on any area team.

Lettuce is right, Ours is the other candidate..same deal.

If Allegany is able to upend Boonsboro on Saturday afternoon, in spite of the loss of multiple QBs, I suspect it will be solely because of Robinette, thus solidifying his recognition as POY.

All players mentioned are valid contenders, have to agree with T. Helmick (#95blue, #4red). As a whole, some believe in order to receive this title a player must contribute from both sides of the line. These two young men certainly meet this tall order, of course this is only one man's opinion.( sorry, one person, don't wanna get the PC police after me and my computer)

no doubt in my mind Robinette will win POY

having said that it is my opinion that Luke Hamilton is the best football player in the area. It's damn near impossible to win POY without toting the rock especially when another player is breaking school records at a place with the tradition of Allegany.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
So because you are the best player on YOUR team that makes you POY ?

If that is the case, why is Pinto not being mentioned for POY? He is the best player on Mtn. Ridge's team.

Reactions: 52 to victory
So because you are the best player on YOUR team that makes you POY ?

If that is the case, why is Pinto not being mentioned for POY? He is the best player on Mtn. Ridge's team.
i'm with you. is there something written we can reference as to what constitutes the poy? if not, it's all personal opinion.

i'm with you. is there something written we can reference as to what constitutes the poy? if not, it's all personal opinion.

Hamilton= POY
Banks & Robinette = Offense
Poling = Defense

If the powers that be decide Karson is deserving of POY, I'd be OK with that. Don't think anyone could go wrong with picking any of the top 4 players. All of them are true assets to their teams. Let's hope they are chosen prior to the 4th of July.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Alot goes into poy such as how good did he help his team?, did this player make them a contender?, offense and defensive stats.. highlights,leadership,etc...

The only thing that goes against any of the FH players for POY is the fact that there's so many really good players on their team who contribute to their success. I think in this case, Robinette just stands out more because while Alco does have a number of good players, the team goes as Robinette goes.

FH is a more complete team who relies way less on any one player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT