ADVERTISEMENT

Greenway Turf

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
They started removing the turf. Does anyone have info on the new turf they will be putting down?

I'm hoping for once they won't be so cheap and actually put turf behind the endzones so we don't see that old brown grass that looks so bad. This is the only place I have ever seen with Turf field and doesn't put it past the playing surface. Turf Field, turf Track with old brown looking grass that is never kept cut in the summer, looks horrible. also wishing they would finally put some paint on the field Fort Hill Red Endzone and Allegany Blue Endzone. Greenway Ave Stadium in the Middle but we all know someone would complain about that. Sad when the field at Keyser and Mountain ridge looks better than Greenway

No one in Maryland shares the same field with 2 high schools for all fall sports. Except maybe a few city schools in Bmore. Should have built a new field at Alco with the new school. You can say well there is no money. Yet somehow every other school has one.

Yes, I agree they should have built a field to play on. It didn’t have to be a stadium. It’s beautiful up there would be a great place to play games and they would gave their own field without having to travel to home games

No one in Maryland shares the same field with 2 high schools for all fall sports. Except maybe a few city schools in Bmore. Should have built a new field at Alco with the new school. You can say well there is no money. Yet somehow every other school has one.

Greenway is the historic city stadium, pitched that way to get the renovations. Perhaps some thought it was a con job to get money from the entire town and then suggest Alco get their own sorry-ass, minimalist field. Seems to me the entire town should keep the 'city stadium' up to snuff.

Personally, I think it is the best part of Cumberland. Nothing feels better than walkin' into Greenway, regardless of who is playing. If Keyser can come up with the bucks, then Cumberland should be able to get the money from all the sources that use it.

Talk about having local pride.... fix the damn thing.

Yes, I agree they should have built a field to play on. It didn’t have to be a stadium. It’s beautiful up there would be a great place to play games and they would gave their own field without having to travel to home games

Red-jackets have coveted sole ownership of Greenway the same way Appel has coveted his next running clock.

The thing is, the town didn't build another field/stadium when it had more money. Hell, the only reason Greeway got built in the first place was because of federal money from The New Deal.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Do you know if there is a Reason that they don't treat the field like others do? I mean I have been to Hollidaysburg and Altoona during the week and many times there is 4-5 people working with machines and when I asked what they were doing they said the machines picks up the old rubber pellets and then they spread out new pellets. I have never seen anyone do anything like that at Greenway

not to start a war but Allegany has been playing football longer than FH, correct? An honest question, back in their infancy, where did Allegany play their games? Was there a field at Sedgewick?

Last edited:
Good question Money 316. If I’m correct in the 1800’s it was called Allegany County High School and that is where Alco came from.

Last edited:
Doesn’t answer your question but Allegany was constructed on Sedgwick Street 1925. Fort Hill and Greenway Stadium were both built in the 1930’s. For at least 10 years Allegany played somewhere else

Believe early games, before the stadium was built, were played in a primitive playing field which I think was near the bottom of Williams Street. Believe the area was known as the Rolling Mill. Might want to touch base with Mike Burke he should have a definitive answer.

Believe early games, before the stadium was built, were played in a primitive playing field which I think was near the bottom of Williams Street. Believe the area was known as the Rolling Mill. Might want to touch base with Mike Burke he should have a definitive answer.
Rolling mill would be where Martins sits today

From a 1974 article in the Cumberland Evening Times:

otgt3t.jpg

Reactions: OneRing
I'm hoping for once they won't be so cheap and actually put turf behind the endzones so we don't see that old brown grass that looks so bad. This is the only place I have ever seen with Turf field and doesn't put it past the playing surface. Turf Field, turf Track with old brown looking grass that is never kept cut in the summer, looks horrible.

Pretty much every turf field in Baltimore City/County is done that way. Franklin, Poly and Mervo have been like that for years and they used the same patter when they turfed Randallstown and Milford Mill. Not saying it's right but it's pretty common with tight budgets even though the cost of turf has been cut in half over the past decade or so.

Rolling mill would be where Martins sits today
In the olden days of Allegany and Allegany County high schools, both teams would play at what was known as the Polo Park or Pokey Park or Community Field which is part of the Martins complex and the Old Tri-State discount center used to be. It was described as a big field that was very popular for Cumberland people who loved the baseball games. I believe Penn Avenue used it as well before the stadium being built. People would get upset when the old steam engines would come through and smoke up the field during games... ;-)
It is said that none other than Babe Ruth came to that field in his early days of baseball for a demonstration/exhibition games. Lefty Grove also played there a few times.

Last edited:
Beautiful

Field looks awesome. I think that Greenway had field turf before any other venue in the state of MD. Before Ravens stadium, before MD, pretty much everyone. Towson had that Brillo Pad turf at one point, but that doesn't count. Lay out for a pass on that stuff and it looked like you wrecked a motorcycle.

Kinda surprised that Under Armour sponsorship didn't come through... their logo would've looked pretty good at mid field.

But at least the new surface guarantees we can't consolidate for at least 11 more years, right? :)

Said this many times before, the field should be for games only. No teams or bands practicing, or letting kids play on it during halftime and after the games.

And please don't start with the, "It's a public stadium, they have to let the kids on it," stuff. The school is public, but I can't just walk in anytime I want. Hell, the prison is public, but they don't just let people walk onto the yard.

Said this many times before, the field should be for games only. No teams or bands practicing, or letting kids play on it during halftime and after the games.

And please don't start with the, "It's a public stadium, they have to let the kids on it," stuff. The school is public, but I can't just walk in anytime I want. Hell, the prison is public, but they don't just let people walk onto the yard.
Absolutely. Fort Hill and Allegany Football games only. None of the Youth games except for the championship

Absolutely. Fort Hill and Allegany Football games only. None of the Youth games except for the championship

Someone needs to lock the gate each night, and not allow folks to simply show up and play pick-up games at all times of day and night.

One only has to look at the condition of the field at MR to see the difference when folks are not allowed to use the field at will.

The rationale last time was Open-Space (OS) funding was used, so the community had to have access to the stadium. I’m not certain if (OS) has been used this time.

It would also make sense if the ACPS and FSU can share a machine to resurface the pellets once every few months on the three turf fields in Allegany County.

I really dont think the pick up games and such are the issue. Those kids aren't wearing cleats and digging up the surface. I personally think your last statement is more the issue, it's not taken care of the way it needs to be. Soccer and football are rough on the surface, but routine maintenance can keep it viable much longer.

Greenway janitors actually take care of the turf. They have a spreader machine and have been trained to use it. The fact we continue to get 10-11 years out of the turf is amazing actually. They only guarantee that turf for 8 years and that is without two schools, bands, youth leagues, etc. using it. If Greenway was treated the same way other fields were like Mountain Ridge, where only one school uses it period, then it would be twice as nice. But when I hear people say the turf becomes what it is because it is not taken care of -- that is not the case at all. I know the people that take care of that turf and they do regular scheduled maintenance on it. You just have so many teams using it for everything. Again -- getting 10 years out of it is more than anyone can ask for. Keep in mind, when the field gets groomed it cuts into the life of it. Sweeping that field can only be done every so often or there would be no grass strips left on it.

My issue is practice. That field should never be used for practice by anybody - football, soccer, band, etc. Certain coaches won't agree but that is the main issue.

I just think it's better to have a "nobody but those involved in the game allowed on the field" kind of rule. Its just simpler.

The main point is the one about practice. In a better world, we'd have a usuable second field that could hold jv/freshman events and allow a practice by each varsity team. Kind of like how Altoona had it if I remember correctly. Greenway would be just for varsity games, with the occasional lower level games (Allegany vs. FH, youth league championships, etc.).

But that would take either a very charitable act or a major change in economic views by local government. I think we all know what would happen first.

Get the f#&k outta here! People are gonna be testing their mowers and trimmers on it next.

JFC, I want anybody who I've ever insulted on here to know that I consider you all papal in nature compared to someone who chips on the Greenway.

I want anybody who I've ever insulted on here to know that I consider you all papal in nature compared to....

Gotta remember that line.

Get the f#&k outta here! People are gonna be testing their mowers and trimmers on it next.

JFC, I want anybody who I've ever insulted on here to know that I consider you all papal in nature compared to someone who chips on the Greenway surface.

My post is the honest truth !!!

My post is the honest truth !!!
Oh, I believe you. It was a reaction of shock, in the same tune as "shut the front door!"

Im at a loss of words to describe how I feel about someone whose mind would reach the conclusion that chipping on the turf is appropriate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT