ADVERTISEMENT

FSU finishes 9th in final D3 poll

Don't know whole lot about FSU football, just what's in the local newspaper. I'm told by my friends in the Frostburg area not real big crowds at home games. Imagine if a few more local boys were on the team, I'd say attendance would increase. According to info in paper, alot of their players are not local, please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are f
Don't know whole lot about FSU football, just what's in the local newspaper. I'm told by my friends in the Frostburg area not real big crowds at home games. Imagine if a few more local boys were on the team, I'd say attendance would increase. According to info in paper, alot of their players are not local, please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are four "local" players. One from Mt. Ridge, Keyser, Berlin,Pa and Hancock.

Home games were even free lol It's kinda strange that they hardly ever recruit the Cumberland kids..

Frostburg does recruit local kids. I know of at least one FH player that is being recruited hard and several locals have played at FSU in recent years.

I played at Frostburg sometime ago. I can tell you one issue back then was there was no real player development in the program. Another issue is that it can a big let down compared to playing high school football at Fort Hill as due to the crowed atmosphere. One had to play for the love of the game which is true for most Division III schools anyway but what I saw was a small group of dedicated players surrounded by a bunch jokers, though athletic and talented just didn’t give a damn.

I was there when PJ Yates from Alco was the starting DB for FSU. He was a great player at Alco and a superstar at FSU. He was one of the players that did care and worked hard. I truly believe if he wanted to he could have progressed to D1. There were about 10 players or more locally in the program back then and the team went 7-3. That was one of the better years and times for the FSU program.

That was almost 2 decades ago and the program appeared to decline in the mid to late 2000s. There is a new regime that has been there for a couple years now. They appear to have changed the culture and expectations of the program.

Another Issue that prevented student participation at the games was the barring of tailgating for years.
I believe the ban has been lifted not just for Homecoming but for all games.

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT