ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill vs Loyola official thread

The Commercial vid runs just over two minutes and stops. That's all they got?

Very few of these guys have meaningful Varsity starts. They have potential, but they’re young and untested. They need a full game, W or L. They didn’t even get many scrimmage snaps together. Players were rotated in every 5 plays in the Quad and they each got, maybe 3 drives vs Woodlawn.

Maybe when FH was up 35-0 in the first half of some games last year, they should’ve played the Jrs instead of working on our passing game.

Hats off to Loyola, they’re better than the USO and Silver Oak type teams we’re used to seeing early in the season. They have a couple D1 offers on the DL/OL.

In the end, FH will figure it out. Hopefully, sooner than later.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Fort Hill did not play well. Mental errors and turnovers killed them. I believe 3 fumbles and a personal foul on a Loyola fumble that allowed them to keep the ball. From my armchair view #32 is not a fullback and #44 should take over. #22 and #26 could get the edge whenever they wanted. #19 was 0-2 with an over throw and a drop. The defense appeared to be very good and kicking and punting were great but the offense definitely needs work.
All in all, nothing that can’t be fixed.

Im going to have to respectfully disagree there. While it would be nice to see a big bruiser at FB, Trimble needs to go to Guard. Swan can be elusive and is a low to the ground runner. He reminds me of Darr, not saying he’s on that level yet, but there is effectiveness in those short stout FB’s. I wasn’t really close to the game (stood by school) FH’s gaurds weren’t able to pull with effectiveness much if at all. Barely got past the LOS on most run plays. Trimble is the best option at guard this year IMO. I understand or I’ve heard I should say they want to get him the ball on O whether TE or FB some, I just feel He would help the team more at LG/RG IMO. Just my thoughts

A lot of you guys were acting like Loyola was a typical 2-8 team when you were making predictions. It's not like they went 2-8 playing a 1A West schedule.

6 of their 8 losses came to Saint Frances, McDonogh, Gilman, Mount Saint Joseph, Calvert Hall and Archbishop Spalding. They went 1-2 in 1 score games against MIAA B Conference opponents

They also thumped an Avalon team that's always talented at the skill positions if not deep or well-coached, an Avalon team that went to Texas and lost by 5 points to a Texas 5A playoff team. Loyola had a great JV last year as well and I expect a lot of those guys to make an impact on varsity this year.

They're a solid private school that still brings in kids specifically for football. While they left the MIAA A because they were noncompetitive they still play at the level of a solid B Conference team. That's about the level of the best 1A teams; they'd be top 2 or 3 in the MIAA B most years. FH split two close games with a Mount Saint Joseph team that was about on Loyola's level (2-8 in 2009, 3-7 in 2010, bottom of the MIAA A both years).

In short, I'd hold off on the doom and gloom because Loyola is probably a final 4 team if they played in 1A and one of the better programs you'll see this year.

Very few of these guys have meaningful Varsity starts. They have potential, but they’re young and untested. They need a full game, W or L. They didn’t even get many scrimmage snaps together. Players were rotated in every 5 plays in the Quad and they each got, maybe 3 drives vs Woodlawn.

Maybe when FH was up 35-0 in the first half of some games last year, they should’ve played the Jrs instead of working on our passing game.

Hats off to Loyola, they’re better than the USO and Silver Oak type teams we’re used to seeing early in the season. They have a couple D1 offers on the DL/OL.

In the end, FH will figure it out. Hopefully, sooner than later.
last season people said use that time to work on passing game ,now it’s gonna be put in subs .as I remember it was the MR game we did that, other than that most of the starters was out mid 3rd qtr in most games . I also didn’t agree with leaving starters in the MR game at that time in the season . The 2nd half of most games the subs was in ,it was just a running clock= very few reps. If I think of last season I’m glad we had worked on the pass as it was what got us past Alco#2 and Lackey or who knows the season could have easily ended in each of those games.

Greg put up some of last years games to stream ,help us out we got robbed tonight ..lol

A lot of you guys were acting like Loyola was a typical 2-8 team when you were making predictions. It's not like they went 2-8 playing a 1A West schedule.

6 of their 8 losses came to Saint Frances, McDonogh, Gilman, Mount Saint Joseph, Calvert Hall and Archbishop Spalding. They went 1-2 in 1 score games against MIAA B Conference opponents

They also thumped an Avalon team that's always talented at the skill positions if not deep or well-coached, an Avalon team that went to Texas and lost by 5 points to a Texas 5A playoff team. Loyola had a great JV last year as well and I expect a lot of those guys to make an impact on varsity this year.

They're a solid private school that still brings in kids specifically for football. While they left the MIAA A because they were noncompetitive they still play at the level of a solid B Conference team. That's about the level of the best 1A teams; they'd be top 2 or 3 in the MIAA B most years. FH split two close games with a Mount Saint Joseph team that was about on Loyola's level (2-8 in 2009, 3-7 in 2010, bottom of the MIAA A both years).

In short, I'd hold off on the doom and gloom because Loyola is probably a final 4 team if they played in 1A and one of the better programs you'll see this year.

Yep. Loyola is also a MPSSAA Class 3A school. Morgantown next week is a 4A school, the largest school in all of WV. I said on the radio last night that if Loyola or Morgantown would have played the FH or Alco schedule last year they would have won 7 or 8 games. This is not the opening two games a team with an entirely new set of inexperienced kids is going to find huge success against to start off with. On top of that MIAA schools and WV schools all start their season about 2 weeks ahead of MD public schools. The Loyola game was going to go down to the wire tonight, as will the Morgantown game next week. Had FH found a way to start out 0-2 on the season panic would have sunk in with this idiotic MD playoff system. I would go so far to say that both FH and Alco dodged a potential bullet tonight with the lightening in regards to playoff positioning.

But again yes, we knew Loyola was a private school that brings in kids specifically for football as you said. All the MIAA A League teams work this way. Because of this you never know what you are going to get from year to year with kids coming and going.

The FH offense has a ways to go figuring out positions still. The OL is a huge puzzle trying to find 5 replacements Coaches spent both scrimmages trying to plug in upwards of 20 kids to find a combination. They have not found one yet and the offense will take some time because of it. The missed assignments up front have been uncountable. The FH defense on the other hand is their strength. Other than a 60 yard pass completion Loyola wasn't having any success on offense. They had zero first downs. Which is why I was totally dumbfounded when FH attempted to go for it on a 4th and 7 near midfield. Didn't make it. Just punt it and play defense. That was a massive bonehead decision.

My big concern going into this opener was turnovers. FH I think had bout 6 turnovers through the first two scrimmages and put the ball on the carpet like 5 times at Woodlawn. They are good for a bad center/QB exchange twice a game. They better correct that fast. FH recovered a fumble inside the 20 but it was negated by a penalty (which I don't see after watching the film). Things like that will cost FH in close ball games. Way too many mental errors, way too many in just 15 minutes of play. But it's not surprising given their inexperience. After watching the film though, Loyola wasn't able to muster anything other than a long pass play, which case the defense held to a FG.

FH needs to re-evaluate their punt and kick return situation. They have two guys back and neither wants to come up and catch the ball and neither wants to block for the other. It's a turnover waiting to happen. Which it did.

Last edited:
I think FH will be in a few close games this year they may be L’s or W’s, I do agree with a few post that if this game had continued as much as I hate to say it FH probably gets that season opening L .
You are probably right because as we've seen in the past when FH comes out not being able to move the ball, that usually doesn't change. There are exceptions but few.

OK, so maybe this season starts out looking a little like 2012 for the Sentinels, but there is still a fair amount of football to play and plenty of room to improve. It will play out positively. Plus this regular season offers the most opportunities to enjoy stadium pizza in a long time.

How many times has fh had returners who can't return continue to get chance after chance...too many! I'm with you, if you can't catch a kick or hold onto the ball, you probably shouldn't be in that position.
It was a good thing that kid from Loyola fell on the fumble instead of picking it up and running it in for a score. He missed a easy td. He may have been taught to fall on a fumble but you gotta have them points when playing a team like FH.

It was a good thing that kid from Loyola fell on the fumble instead of picking it up and running it in for a score. He missed a easy td. He may have been taught to fall on a fumble but you gotta have them points when playing a team like FH.

I don’t believe the FH returner had full possession so it could not have been advanced anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT