ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill vs. IMG Academy

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Wanted to share an email I received this morning about the October 13 opening on the FH football schedule. While everyone will laugh at such a request it should also be considered a great honor that a Top 5 National Travel team who knows nothing about Cumberland would look up Fort Hill and determine this is someone they would put on their schedule in their yearly hunt for that mythical high school national championship. I realize image is everything and FH football is a million miles from their competitive levels, but that image was built on achievements. So congrats to the coaches and players on the Hill.

------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL EMAIL
Good morning Coach!

Looking to see if we can get you guys on schedule for 10/13.

We can come there and help you guys get a Huge Gate or you guys come down here and we can help with Travel & Hotels.

Thanks

Billy Miller
Head Coach National Football
IMG Academy

Email: XXXX@img.com
Mobile: (XXX) XXX-XXXX
imgacademy.com

The same IMG Academy that beat St.Francis last season. Still, flattering that they would even consider a small school from rural Maryland.
Yes. IMG, St. Frances, etc. all seemingly use two teams to boost their programs - the national traveling team and the varsity B squad. Bishop Walsh does the same in hoops.

The St. Frances that attends the Queen City Quad is the Varsity B squad. The team that asked to play FH on Oct 13 is their national travel team.

Reactions: ravemwp
If Fort Hill plays IMG they’re going to have to throw a few screen passes here and there to be competitive and keep that defense on its toes. 😂😂

Last edited:
If Fort Hill plays IMG they’re going to have to throw a few screen passes here and there to be competitive and keep that defense on its toes. 😂😂
Nope. Straight wing-T. The plan is 3-4 yards per carry with multiple fullbacks getting 50 carries, move the chains, eat the clock and hope the score is only 45-0 instead of 70-0.

Nope. Straight wing-T. The plan is 3-4 yards per carry with multiple fullbacks getting 50 carries, move the chains, eat the clock and hope the score is only 45-0 instead of 70-0.
in the words of Herm Edwards. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME😂

Yes. IMG, St. Frances, etc. all seemingly use two teams to boost their programs - the national traveling team and the varsity B squad. Bishop Walsh does the same in hoops.

The St. Frances that attends the Queen City Quad is the Varsity B squad. The team that asked to play FH on Oct 13 is their national travel team.
Does St. Frances B team play a regular varsity schedule against other Baltimore area public or private schools. I noticed the only MPSSAA school to play the St. Frances national team was Arundel. I could not find any game results from their B team, although I did see them here in the Queen City Quad, was wondering how they matched up against other varsity programs in the state, or do they have to play a JV schedule. I guess in a way I'm wondering if Fort Hill varsity could schedule St. Frances B team in a regular season game if they wanted to.

Last edited:
Does St. Frances B team play a regular varsity schedule against other Baltimore area public or private schools. I noticed the only MPSSAA school to play the St. Frances national team was Arundel. I could not find any game results from their B team, although I did see them here in the Queen City Quad, was wondering how they matched up against other varsity programs in the state, or do they have to play a JV schedule.
All MPSSAA public schools are approved to play the St. Frances B Team in a varsity football game but the game does not count. The win or loss doesn't count. The stats do not count. It's the same as playing the BW Burgundy in basketball. Same with the IMG Academy B team or any other school that produces two teams in one sport.

However, playing the St. Frances A team would count as would playing the IMG Academy travel team as would playing the BW travel bball team.

The St. Frances B football team does play a full schedule but they are all against other private/charter schools, prep schools and teams from Canada.

All MPSSAA public schools are approved to play the St. Frances B Team in a varsity football game but the game does not count. The win or loss doesn't count. The stats do not count. It's the same as playing the BW Burgundy in basketball. Same with the IMG Academy B team or any other school that produces two teams in one sport.

However, playing the St. Frances A team would count as would playing the IMG Academy travel team as would playing the BW travel bball team.

The St. Frances B football team does play a full schedule but they are all against other private/charter schools, prep schools and teams from Canada.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that. As for basketball then, hypothetically if FH played the BW Burgundy team it wouldn't count in their W/L, but would it count against their 22 game limit. Also raised another question. FH lost a game due to weather against MD School for the Deaf. Could FH play BW Burgundy next week as a replacement to avoid a 12 day layoff between tonight's final game and the start of the states due to a first round bye. When you are playing so well nobody wants a long layoff. Need to stay sharp. Same old question rest over rust or vice versa.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. As for basketball then, hypothetically if FH played the BW Burgundy team it wouldn't count in their W/L, but would it count against their 22 game limit. Also raised another question. FH lost a game due to weather against MD School for the Deaf. Could FH play BW Burgundy next week as a replacement to avoid a 12 day layoff between tonight's final game and the start of the states due to a first round bye. When you are playing so well nobody wants a long layoff. Need to stay sharp. Same old question rest over rust or vice versa.
Playing BW Burgundy does not count in regards to wins/losses and stats. But it does count against the 20 regular season games permitted by the MPSSAA plus 2 additional tournament games permitted like the Christmas Classic. Which on a separate note those tournament games do not count in the MPSSAA seeding formula. Only the 20 regular season games count in that formula. A reason why the Alco loss to St. Vincent Pallotti is not factored into their MPSSAA loss column.

To answer your question, FH could play BW Burgundy since they had a game cancelled earlier in the January due to bad weather. That is if they just wanted it for practice purposes to stay active. However, not certain but I am pretty sure the last play date for everyone is this Saturday. No games are permitted to be scheduled after the last play date. Just like in football, Mountain Ridge could not schedule a replacement game for their first round bye week last fall.

Playing BW Burgundy does not count in regards to wins/losses and stats. But it does count against the 20 regular season games permitted by the MPSSAA plus 2 additional tournament games permitted like the Christmas Classic. Which on a separate note those tournament games do not count in the MPSSAA seeding formula. Only the 20 regular season games count in that formula. A reason why the Alco loss to St. Vincent Pallotti is not factored into their MPSSAA loss column.

To answer your question, FH could play BW Burgundy since they had a game cancelled earlier in the January due to bad weather. That is if they just wanted it for practice purposes to stay active. However, not certain but I am pretty sure the last play date for everyone is this Saturday. No games are permitted to be scheduled after the last play date. Just like in football, Mountain Ridge could not schedule a replacement game for their first round bye week last fall.
Thanks again for the info. I now better understand some of the how, why, and whens of the mpssaa scheduling systems. Along with better understanding how the private, and Christian schools with multiple varsity teams fit into the scheduling systems.

So with your info I did a little research. I have a question maybe you can answer, and or suggest. According to the MPSSAA website the last day for countable seeding games is Febuary 20, the last day of playable games is listed as Feb. 23. My question is, being that FH did not complete its full complement of games, and already clinched the top seed in the region is it possible that if they found a team in a similar situation, would they be able to schedule and play it if they did it before the 23rd. Anything to help keep the kids focused and sharp heading into the states. The one thing you don't want when you are playing so well is a long layoff. Anyway I don't know if it is possible, thought maybe you would know if it can be done.

Reactions: TDHelmick
Why the hell not play MARTINSBURG!!!
Why the hell can't you get Mtn. Ridge to play MARTINSBURG ???????
After all, Mtn. Ridge football is now on the same level as Fort Hill, correct?
Maybe, since Mtn. Ridge football has grown into such a powerhouse, maybe they can contact IMG. Todd Helmick has posted all the necessary information.

So with your info I did a little research. I have a question maybe you can answer, and or suggest. According to the MPSSAA website the last day for countable seeding games is Febuary 20, the last day of playable games is listed as Feb. 23. My question is, being that FH did not complete its full complement of games, and already clinched the top seed in the region is it possible that if they found a team in a similar situation, would they be able to schedule and play it if they did it before the 23rd. Anything to help keep the kids focused and sharp heading into the states. The one thing you don't want when you are playing so well is a long layoff. Anyway I don't know if it is possible, thought maybe you would know if it can be done.
Not sure of the difference between countable seeding game and playable games.

I do not have a definitive answer to these minute details for basketball. The seeding system for hoops is new to me. I would likely have an answer with football, hehe. Your point makes complete sense though and I agree about staying fresh as opposed to a layoff.

Not sure of the difference between countable seeding game and playable games.

I do not have a definitive answer to these minute details for basketball. The seeding system for hoops is new to me. I would likely have an answer with football, hehe. Your point makes complete sense though and I agree about staying fresh as opposed to a layoff.
Any games played by Feb. 20 count towards your seeding, which will be done on the 21st. I was guessing or wondering if they could play that 20th regular season game if they found someone else with a similar situation, as long as they do it before the 23rd, which is the date the MPSSAA has as the last day for playing any games before the regionals start. Some of the approved non MPSSAA members such as private, and Christian schools have different flexibility with their scheduling. Just thinking that FH would like to play a game between now and the 23rd if possible. Only so much you can do in practice.

Last edited:
Any games played by Feb. 20 count towards your seeding, which will be done on the 21st. I was guessing or wondering if they could play that 20th regular season game if they found someone else with a similar situation, as long as they do it before the 23rd, which is the date the MPSSAA has as the last day for playing any games before the regionals start. Some of the approved non MPSSAA members such as private, and Christian schools have different flexibility with their scheduling. Just thinking that FH would like to play a game between now and the 23rd if possible. Only so much you can do in practice.
I have learned something new through our dialogue. Yes, Fort Hill basketball can play another game up until this coming Thursday Feb 23. The regional playoffs begin on Feb 25. FH has already locked up the No. 1 seed in the West Region whether they win/lose another game or not. I guess it comes down to weighing the pros and cons of such things as not taking a possible 10 day layoff versus things like injury potential. The difficult part would be finding an opponent - likely a private school. Got someone in mind? I think FH may have already talked with BW Burgundy among exploring other options should they chose to play a game. Not sure who though.

Last edited:
After winning all these games big, a team like Gorretti would be a good team to help them prepare. A competitive game even if they lose by 20 could help them get ready for Baltimore teams.
I agree. The details are as such:
FH played their last game Thursday at Washington. They currently have a 12 day layoff before their next game, which will be a home playoff match Tuesday Feb 28 against the winner of Mountain Ridge/Southern. FH can pick up one more game between now and Thursday Feb 23 because they have only played 19 regular season games so far. Each team is allowed 20. I would absolutely pick up a game to avoid the 12 day layoff but everyone has their own opinion weighing pros and cons. Southern plays their last regular season game this Tuesday, Feb 21 against Notre Dame.

On a similar note, Southern beat Mountain Ridge last night in Oakland.

This is a good thread because it allows open dialogue concerning different scheduling philosophies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT