ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill Opinions?!

Oct 29, 2022
A lot of questions in this thread, as I want to get others opinions from what I’ve heard:

“The new principal is the reason for Appels leaving”

Summer weight lifting is not even mandatory anymore.

No more school hours for football example: weight lifting, film watching etc.

The lack of discipline is because of no authoritarian on staff. Example ( kids not well groomed, attitudes, etc etc)

was told in 4 years you will see the tides have changed as fort hill will no longer be a dominant force.

just curious everyone’s thoughts , opinions.

Lets focus on winning four games right now. All that TMZ stuff can wait for the winter to discuss. Go have two with and a cherry coke to put your mind at ease.

A lot of questions in this thread, as I want to get others opinions from what I’ve heard:

“The new principal is the reason for Appels leaving”

Summer weight lifting is not even mandatory anymore.

No more school hours for football example: weight lifting, film watching etc.

The lack of discipline is because of no authoritarian on staff. Example ( kids not well groomed, attitudes, etc etc)

was told in 4 years you will see the tides have changed as fort hill will no longer be a dominant force.

just curious everyone’s thoughts , opinions.
No different issues than any other high school program. Sometimes success breeds contempt. I've seen many on here wanting, and hoping for FH failure. Especially the failure of particular student athletes. I won't ever understand why. I am a great believer of rooting your ass off for your team, but stop rooting for other kids to fail. People need to leave these kids alone, and let these kids enjoy football. Adults need to stop over blowing things, and rumors that may or may not even exist. Just one man's opinion. Good luck to the 3 County teams still alive.

Reactions: 4R341 and Tony54
It's always fascinating to me how unrealistic people are when faced with one season that feels off or has drama attached to it. We've seen it before. Even in the Appel era. And then the ship rights itself the next season and it's back to normalcy for all the conspiracy theorists. Yeesh.

Lets focus on winning four games right now. All that TMZ stuff can wait for the winter to discuss. Go have two with and a cherry coke to put your mind at ease.

Very well said, for obvious reasons.

And yes, this is a March - early July topic, Dorito.

I personally believe some of these are factual based on who has told me these things. Also there will be a new OC for Allegany Friday night. Former running back will be calling the plays. This is a fact

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
I mean the Appel bit is true, but that's very old news. And it's really irrelevant to whats going on with the program now. Todd hasn't coached a game at FH in 3 years.

I personally think it is relevant as it’s a snow ball effect to where the program is now and heading. That’s what started it. Now you’re seeing the effects. Since when has fort hill ever been called a “finesse team” and not a physical team. I cannot believe those words were uttered by a head coach at fort hill high school. I wish them nothing but success but come on. There’s a loose wheel on the cart right now, will they fix it? Or will all the wheels fall off? We shall find out soon enough.

I personally think it is relevant as it’s a snow ball effect to where the program is now and heading. That’s what started it. Now you’re seeing the effects. Since when has fort hill ever been called a “finesse team” and not a physical team. I cannot believe those words were uttered by a head coach at fort hill high school. I wish them nothing but success but come on. There’s a loose wheel on the cart right now, will they fix it? Or will all the wheels fall off? We shall find out soon enough.
This 10th smallest public school football program just finessed an 8-1 record against quite possibly the toughest road schedule in all of Maryland.

This staff has compiled a 21-1 record in their first two seasons. Not sure I want to know what your measuring stick is. There are opinions and there is actual data.

Last edited:
I personally believe some of these are factual based on who has told me these things. Also there will be a new OC for Allegany Friday night. Former running back will be calling the plays. This is a fact

Your vagueness is impressing us all, but don't worry. I will NOT steal your moment from you.
Major culture problem at Alco, unfortunately :(

You obviously failed to take my advice - you are just trying to stir the pot. Can you not wait until the season is over?

Reactions: ravemwp
Any problems that FH may are the same as any high school football team in the country. They all go through coaching changes, coaching philosophies. They all go through disgruntled parents who get their feelings hurt because students transfer in and take presumed playing time from their kid. I know for a fact that Spencer, and Allen have earned every snap they have played. Plain and simple, best players play. To me it seems that is where you are trying to go with this. Believe me the kids know who the best players are, and whether parents like it or not, credit the coaching staff for playing the best players, not the ones who have been there the longest. By the way I stated in a different thread, these are every high school America problems, Not just a FH problem. Also if Spencer, and Allen would have stated their careers at FH, the same kids who aren't playing today still wouldn't be playing. Sorry if I addressed the elephant in the room, but that seems to be what people are butt hurt about. I see no problem with a young coaching staff trying to carve its own niche. Let the coaches, coach. Let the players, play, and let us fans enjoy watching the student athletes play just for the love of the game.

Last edited:
As for finesse versus power, you have to have the horses to be a power team. Kudos to the coaching staff for adjusting to a team full of track stars with speed to burn. The wing T offense allows you to play either way, depending on the particular talents you have from year to year. Put your team in the best position to succeed is how I see it.

Last edited:
As for finesse versus power, you have to have the horses to be a power team. Kudos to the coaching staff for adjusting to a team full of track stars with speed to burn...
But you have to have the weightlifting program to build the horses. Imagine FH with horses and track stars. It doesn't have to be one or the other, right?

And, I agree with most here. However, let the discipline aspect that FH has always had get away from them and they just become another mediocre 1A school in football like they are in every other sport.

1997 and 1975 were 2 teams that's had horses with track stars. They brought home titles. 1987 had more horses than any team ever! Just no track stars. That team had power 5’s in the school daily recruiting 4 players!. Plus 3 more kids that played at smaller schools. That’s 7 starters going on to play college football. But again no burners. Having both doesn’t come often. This years team is a track team it may not be enough to bring one home

Last edited:
Also the playoff road was much tougher in 3A in 1986-87. McDonough, Magruder 86 Lacky and Linganore 87 is a far cry from Mt Ridge and Joppatowne I assure you

Track stars? You said TRACK STARS??? You may want to look at the 63 team. If my memory serves me correctly, that backfield held the State mile relay record for decades. I was just a little guy, but I can remember the likes of Rich Robinson, and his crew tearing it up both on offense and defense as well. BTW, there were no State playoffs back then, but FH was 10-0, averaged over 30 points per game and only gave up 3 tds all season.

They still hold the school record. Close 2nd 75 team with Trimble, Peck, and Mark Paupe. People forget how fast Paupe was, his speed was overshadowed by Trimble, and Peck.

But you have to have the weightlifting program to build the horses. Imagine FH with horses and track stars. It doesn't have to be one or the other, right?

And, I agree with most here. However, let the discipline aspect that FH has always had get away from them and they just become another mediocre 1A school in football like they are in every other sport.
The weightlifting thing seems to be a real concern. Is the coaching staff not allowing them to lift? I'm an old guy, and while I was never a big fan of lifting, we had an in season program that the staff would monitor. Most guys, especially those looking to get bigger, faster, stronger, and in search of more playing time hit the weight room religiously, going over and above the required program. Not sure why these guys don't lift. To be honest, in hearing all the chatter this season I thought maybe it was a contrived rumor trying to make FH look bad. Hmm, I guess if there is smoke there is fire. If I was a kid looking for playing time, unless the weight room door is locked I would be in there everyday. Self motivation is sometimes the best motivation. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4R341
Track stars? You said TRACK STARS??? You may want to look at the 63 team. If my memory serves me correctly, that backfield held the State mile relay record for decades. I was just a little guy, but I can remember the likes of Rich Robinson, and his crew tearing it up both on offense and defense as well. BTW, there were no State playoffs back then, but FH was 10-0, averaged over 30 points per game and only gave up 3 tds all season.
I remember my Uncle always saying that was a track team that happened to also play football.

The weightlifting thing seems to be a real concern. Is the coaching staff not allowing them to lift? I'm an old guy, and while I was never a big fan of lifting, we had an in season program that the staff would monitor. Most guys, especially those looking to get bigger, faster, stronger, and in search of more playing time hit the weight room religiously, going over and above the required program. Not sure why these guys don't lift. To be honest, in hearing all the chatter this season I thought maybe it was a contrived rumor trying to make FH look bad. Hmm, I guess if there is smoke there is fire. If I was a kid looking for playing time, unless the weight room door is locked I would be in there everyday. Self motivation is sometimes the best motivation. Just one man's opinion.
Where there is smoke there is fire...agreed, and there seems to be a hell of a lot of smoke. This week alone I've heard FH described as soft, lazy, undisciplined, selfish, unfocused, cocky, disrespectful, and a few more. The one that I don't think anybody has talked about, except maybe regarding coaches, is there are just no leaders on this team. Whose taking charge, whose holding anybody accountable for penalties, missed assignments, turnovers...it can't all be put on the coaches. Here is the easy part - if none of this is true they can step up tonight and prove all the haters wrong, right? Just go out and perform without ten penalties, two or three turnovers, catch a punt, make your extra points, and what will be will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT