ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill at Archbishop Curley field is set

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The Fort Hill varsity football game at Archbishop Curley field situation is finally set. The game will be played as planned on Thursday, October 1 at 7:00 pm. The field will be the Archbishop Curley Field directly next to their school. They will be using portable stadium lights. This is something Curley does 2-3 times a year. Their game tomorrow against Loyola Blakefield will also be at the same field with the same portable lights.

They have a very nice natural grass field and I am told they have the space to accommodate the fans.

We tried to get another field location such as Calvert Hall Stadium among many, many other options but could not find one open free of charge. The reason we looked elsewhere was to avoid having them pay for the portable lights.

For the record, as I have been asked this many times...why play Thursday?
Curley made this a bye week on purpose originally. They have coaches who already had made travel plans for that Friday. They didn't need a game and FH was pretty much at their mercy when the Avalon game was cancelled. So Curley said they would play but could only do so at their home place on a Thursday. While not locked 100% in stone, it looks like Curley will return the game to Cumberland next year. But still working those things out.

Also, the Clearfield, South Hagerstown and Sherando contracts are two year home-and-home deals.

Last edited:
Todd, I think most of us football fans would watch FH play a good team like Curley in a sandlot in Cherry Hill on a Tuesday at 8 in the morning.

Balto18CurleyTerraces.jpg
Just to clarify, the stadium at Curley does not have "bleacher" seating - in as much as a terraced lawn. It's a nice facility, the stadium is built down into almost a half bowl. The bowl side/home side being terraced into about 6 or 7 very wide grassy platforms. Think of it almost as amphitheater seating. Unless something has drastically changed very recently, you will need to bring chairs, blankets, or sit on the unterraced part of the bowl (like at Homecoming)

Last edited:
Thur games (1 week for Jewish Holiday) is common in MOCO & NOVA. No biggie. Congratulations Todd!

Balto18CurleyTerraces.jpg
Just to clarify, the stadium at Curley does not have "bleacher" seating - in as much as a terraced lawn. It's a nice facility, the stadium is built down into almost a half bowl. The bowl side/home side being terraced into about 6 or 7 very wide grassy platforms. Think of it almost as amphitheater seating. Unless something has drastically changed very recently, you will need to bring chairs, blankets, or sit on the unterraced part of the bowl (like at Homecoming)

Yeah, it's the same setup as in years past. Curley has recently been sponsored by Under Armour and will be undertaking major facilities improvements including a turf field and permanent lights but as I understand it the unique seating arrangement will be kept as is.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance Curley is undefeated heading into this game. Curley has Loyola, Boys' Latin and Saint Vincent Pallotti on the schedule leading up to the Fort Hill game. Loyola is a bad MIAA A team and Curley is probably a 2 TD favorite. Boys' Latin is probably middle of the pack in the MIAA B and just lost to Loyola last week. Pallotti is talented but unknown how good they are following two blowout wins over bad teams. Pallotti is in their first season in the MIAA B. They moved up from the MIAA C in the offseason. Pallotti plays Avalon (who's pretty good) this week.

Curley lost 33-32 to Loyola. Loyola scored with 0:47 left to tie it at 32 and hit the PAT to go up 1.

Pallotti beat Avalon 22-20

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT