ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 2016 Question

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
Going into a season, on paper, has ANY Fort Hill team in History been this favored to win a football state championship?

I'm not talking the usual hype from the past, lord knows we've always had lofty, and oft unreasonable expectations or visions of grandeur. I'm talking about an honest, unbiased assessment of the roster at hand, based on past performance of available players, and counting on them being, bigger, faster, stronger, smarter as they grow. I know a lot can happen and 1A teams in particular are vulnerable to the ever possible destruction injuries can bring. Spare me the usual bashing for bringing this up, if you look at this objectively, it is what it is.

Last edited:
I was out of the country during the Peck/Trimble run but my buddies who wrote to me were really big on these guys as a team. If this year's Fort Hill team finds a line, there won't be many teams that will play with them.

Correct, certainly there is a wealth of talent and experience at the skill positions, the line always seems to be the question mark as far as uncertainty but Fort Hill usually delivers in that area as well.

Don't be surprised to see #63 and #4 pulling some O/L duty this year, #4 did a good bit of lead blocking from wing position past season. Both players were also standouts on special teams. I'm sure #9 and #5 both will be thrown in the mix. This year's roster, correct me if I'm wrong will be about even when counting juniors and seniors. Once again backfield should be stacked as long as they can stay injury free. As for another banner, only time will tell.

Not sure how good the OL will be due to inexperience, but it's going to be the biggest they have ever had under this coaching staff. Is there another transfer enrolled? A super speedster :)

Trust me when I say this, there's not gonna be an issue with inexperience, I think it would be better worded "making the adjustments from 1 position to another" for some of the young men. "I" think more than a few of these players ought to be going both ways, however I'm one the "experts" sitting in the stands. Before anybody bites my head off hear me out. I believe when this happens it makes teammates step up their game and want to perform at a higher level thus the whole team benefits, and with the experience this coaching staff has, they'll recognize these players within first few weeks of practice. Especially during and after the scrimmages.

Players going both ways were Brown, Poling, Graves, York. Hamilton did on certain plays. Johnson might take Graves position this year at safety just a thought. Conley and Hamilton might play both ways this year but will they be a force on defense like Poling was last year? It's easier to play 40 to 50 downs instead of 80 to 100. I guess that's why at FH not to many players play both ways. Plus they have the young men to do so.

Talent in abundance. When the biggest decisions you have to make revolve around which talented player to start, well, I'll take those problems any day. Fort Hill is very, very deep at many positions.

Will Conley and Hamilton be a force on defense? What games were you watching? Might wanta check your stats or rewatch games before asking a question like that. Or maybe it was misunderstood.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
I understand what you're saying, not arguing your point, my point is" when you're playing at the level these young men are playing at, both sides of the ball don't mean a hill of beans to them as long as they're on the field in some capacity, teammates see that and feel that, thus bringing out the best in others, cause they want to be part of that also." Don't get me wrong, everyone likes a breather now and again, however all the names that have been mentioned plus some others are quite capable of "bringing it" from both sides of the ball. That's what makes this team a "TEAM".

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
The ability to platoon and use players on only one side of the ball is huge. That's what makes a good team great.

Reactions: towpath94
I think coach will do everything he can early on to have the linemen go one way. As we've seen the last few years there is usually a little bit of a line shuffle after the first few games. There's enough talent line wise for those guys to only play one side of the ball. I'm sure as a coach the advantage of those guys only playing one side of the ball is something that once you get used to is something you fall in love with. Between the advantage of the players getting to rest while the other side is playing and probably an overlooked advantage that occurs at practice with both 1st string lines battling it out each day it is nice to have especially at the 1A level.

Towpath, you hit the nail on the head, Ones going against ones in practice (as far as line play is concerned) is huge, There aren't many 1A teams in the state who's twos are better than their opponents ones, I don't care what team you are talking about.

Injuries are such a huge factor at this level. That FH has been relatively injury free the last three years has been a big part of why they have won three straight championships. Fresh lineman are critical during a long season.

"BrianH1974", as for the super speedster, don't put much stock in it. That's all I'm gonna say.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT