ADVERTISEMENT

Fight at Southern game...

camper21502

Blue Chip Poster
Sep 21, 2012
3 Alco players were ejected from the game for leaving the bench. They probably will be suspended for the homecoming game. Will there be any consequences for the Southern coach who put his hands on a Alco player and took a him to the ground? Officials are reviewing the coverage and we will just have to wait and see what else comes from this incident. It's very unfortunate for both teams..

If you leave the bench it's an automatic ejection. That's the rule. I don't believe this rule should be enforced here upon review even though it is obvious the Alco bench cleared. HOWEVER, then the same rule has to be applied always. Can't pick and choose when to enforce it.

Let me preface the following information by saying I did not attend last night's game. I did see the situation on the Commercial Video broadcast. I do not have an opinion on what happened and/or what did not happen, and, ultimately, officials and school administrators will determine what did and did not occur.

The only reason I am mentioning the following is because precedence has already been set in Allegany County in such situations as they relate to other sports. The precedence is based on policy established by the ACPS.

6-7 years ago, I witnessed a player get two yellow cards in a soccer match. Two yellow cards are equal to a soft-red card which means the player was ejected from the game. The second yellow card was the result of a hip check. The player dismissed from the game was the team's most significant offensive threat at that time. The event happened on a Saturday. The team had a big game the following Monday. The school and coach were notified late Monday afternoon that the player would not be able to dress, play, or sit on the bench with the team.

Last year, two players left the bench area in a regional competition. Both were not permitted to play in the next regional game.

The precedence has already been set in other high school sports in Allegany County.

Here is the rule as stated in one document found on the ACPS website:
"Ejection: Students ejected from a scheduled athletic contest by an official of the contest may not participate on the next playing date of that same activity. This includes post-season play of that activity."

Source: https://www.acpsmd.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=382&dataid=6003&FileName=ATHLETIC%20GUIDE%20FOR%20STUDENTS%20AND%20PARENTS.pdf

Here is the rule as stated in another document found on the ACPS website:
"V. Ejection/Disqualification An athlete who is ejected/disqualified from a contest by a game official for unacceptable behavior, before, during or after a contest is suspended from participation in the next contest. An ejected/disqualified player may remain on the sideline for the duration of that contest or be sent to a secure and safe area under the supervision of a coach or staff member. For the game in which the athlete must serve a subsequent suspension (i.e. the “next contest”), the player shall be permitted to be present on the sideline but may not dress in game uniform. Suspended players may practice with the team while serving their suspension. Coaches will notify the Athletic Director and the Supervisor of Athletics in writing of the suspension and date of exclusion within 24 hours."

Source: https://www.acpsmd.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=382&dataid=7548&FileName=JJIC-Academic and Conduct Standards for Participations in Athletics JJIC - R1-3 Revised 8.21.17.pdf

Last edited:
3 Alco players were ejected from the game for leaving the bench. They probably will be suspended for the homecoming game. Will there be any consequences for the Southern coach who put his hands on a Alco player and took a him to the ground? Officials are reviewing the coverage and we will just have to wait and see what else comes from this incident. It's very unfortunate for both teams..

If the system screws the three kids. I would have a team meeting and the players can decide that the entire bench actually crossed the line on the field, so they are guilty also and morally cannot play either. So, you forfeit the next game.... take a rest and see Fort Hill in the playoffs.

If the system screws the three kids. I would have a team meeting and the players can decide that the entire bench actually crossed the line on the field, so they are guilty also and morally cannot play either. So, you forfeit the next game.... take a rest and see Fort Hill in the playoffs.
I feel ya, but that would be a major blemish on the kettle... but Alco has a serious chance if they show up... besides... it’s homecoming!!!

I feel ya, but that would be a major blemish on the kettle... but Alco has a serious chance if they show up... besides... it’s homecoming!!!

Excluding the time before child labor laws, we live in the most corrupt time in the history of this country. The well connected get away with practically everything and they throw the book and the average schmuck that tripped their toe on a pebble.

We can also banter back and forth about life lessons for the young athletes. They see a coach on top of one of their guys across the field and they react... sure, line in the sand. Throw the technical book at them. After all, they're just some nobody kids from one of the most depressed towns in the state.

Well, sometimes it ain't about wins and losses. Sometimes the young folks get an opportunity to teach the adults in the system a life lesson. I know what I suggest will not happen... but damn, imagine all the local hacks sweating it out if the players actually did that.

Excluding the time before child labor laws, we live in the most corrupt time in the history of this country. The well connected get away with practically everything and they throw the book and the average schmuck that tripped their toe on a pebble.

We can also banter back and forth about life lessons for the young athletes. They see a coach on top of one of their guys across the field and they react... sure, line in the sand. Throw the technical book at them. After all, they're just some nobody kids from one of the most depressed towns in the state.

Well, sometimes it ain't about wins and losses. Sometimes the young folks get an opportunity to teach the adults in the system a life lesson. I know what I suggest will not happen... but damn, imagine all the local hacks sweating it out if the players actually did that.

They could get lawyers and sue the MPSSAA for not helping them.

I’m just proud of our community here in western md... seems like we’re getting some recognition, and I want to enjoy it. Hell I like watching “Shameless” because the main character is a local Alco grad. Seems like no one wants to celebrate our local success, and divides Allegany county on global stage. We have a kid playing in the NFL, one at UMD, and one as a true freshman starting at UConn... something that was a pipe dream in my younger years. I’m gonna enjoy it. Not sure if I’m on subject here, but it’s depressing seeing our community tear ourselves down from the inside.

Reactions: towpath94
I’m just proud of our community here in western md... seems like we’re getting some recognition, and I want to enjoy it. Hell I like watching “Shameless” because the main character is a local Alco grad. Seems like no one wants to celebrate our local success, and divides Allegany county on global stage. We have a kid playing in the NFL, one at UMD, and one as a true freshman starting at UConn... something that was a pipe dream in my younger years. I’m gonna enjoy it. Not sure if I’m on subject here, but it’s depressing seeing our community tear ourselves down from the inside.

There was a time when kids were let to be kids. Like, back when Lefty Grove signed my baseball glove. Then, Vietnam happened and the investment bankers started sending our jobs overseas.

At heart, we are the same people living in different circumstances. We still hold our own destiny in our hands if we work together as communities and demand better. Call me naive.

Reactions: GenSneaky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT