ADVERTISEMENT

FH FOOTBALL

Why did FH wait 4 days to say they would play Middletown? If you read the same thing I did you know the answer. So again how is that ducking a team unless you live in a fantasy world of make believe.

FH called PG 4A schools with the same open date. They ALL declined. It was made clear here in black and white. So how is that not ducking a team.

Typical one way haters.

Why did FH wait 4 days to say they would play Middletown? If you read the same thing I did you know the answer. So again how is that ducking a team unless you live in a fantasy world of make believe.

FH called PG 4A schools with the same open date. They ALL declined. It was made clear here in black and white. So how is that not ducking a team.

Typical one way haters.

Nothing is one way. Todd H mentioned two PG schools this year. Bowie and Laurel, and he said they didn't respond. Although in the past he said FH wasn't going to play any 4A schools because they were too big. He's said that about 20 times in the last 5 years and that's on record.

But let's get back to the Middletown. Every time somebody mentions Middletown you bring up Alco or PG schools real quick, lol. Now explain to me why it took 4 days to respond? Every FH fan has said that MPSSAA 2A schools won't play FH. Why did it take any more than 4 minutes to agree to the game?

Reactions: bigsavage
If you don't know go back and read. It's obvious you don't know. So anything you say is obviously made up. Bottom line is FH called Middletown for a game. This came directly from the mouth of the person who made the call. Now explain to me how that is ducking someone? If FH waited for 4 days you call that ducking? Wow, you have no clue. Maybe FH already had plans with another team called Dunbar hello?

The same guy was begging any PG County school but Wise to play FH. He even shouted it here. Bowie, Flowers, Parkdale and a few others with the same openimgs if I recall. They all dodged the call.

Some of you sure are touchy about who Fort Hill plays. Nothing gets posted on here for weeks until the FH schedule comes up.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Seriously, we have won 4 straight state titles, in the classification we belong in. Why do we even entertain the possibility of doing anything different until what we are doing no longer works?
As for the CVAL League games in the 90's sure it was a great league with solid competition, but let's not romanticize the past too much. 1 CVAL West Virginia school in the 90's won a state title, and that was Musselman...and that was in WV 2A, not 3A, and that was in a classification smaller than the one we were equivalent to at the time, which was WV 3A...and Musselman won that state title as the #16 seed against Bluefield....I was at the game.
As Fort Hill fans, can we get off the 90's kick, I mean the 90's for Fort Hill were gut wrenching, I mean so many times the bridesmaid and only once the bride. All those great teams, and I mean great teams, and only 1 ring to show for all that "excellence." I know we were playing 2A ball then but we were playing 2A ball with a 2A enrollment....obviously whatever the "formula" was in those days was good enough to be "good" but not good enough, except once (1997) to reach the pinnacle. I love and respect those teams, they were great, but gut wrenching, wow, so much disappointment and so many let downs in the title games.
These last 4 years, man, it's been easy and good livin', but in my eyes it serves to ease some of the pain from all those letdowns over the years. From a fans perspective, how could you ask for more. The formula works...stick with it until it doesn't. You can't truly appreciate what it means and how it feels as a fan to win these titles and dominate like we have unless you cried yourself to sleep nightly in the 90's, lol. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

People are going to bitch about FH football as sure as there is a sun in the sky. Even if they beat Martinsburg 4 times a year then it's something else like they don't put enough kids into college. Anything to try and demean what they accomplish.

The system sucks and sucks massively. Does FH hand pick their schedule? You're damn right they do just like everyone else. It works. And I applaud them and hope they keep doing the same exact same thing.

Here is a team that just won 4 straight. Yet they are fighting to get the system changed so they can play better teams. HELLO!!!!!! McFly?????

FH played their hand perfectly manuevering around this shitty state set up. The stuff legends are made of.

People are going to bitch about FH football as sure as there is a sun in the sky. Even if they beat Martinsburg 4 times a year then it's something else like they don't put enough kids into college. Anything to try and demean what they accomplish.

The system sucks and sucks massively. Does FH hand pick their schedule? You're damn right they do just like everyone else. It works. And I applaud them and hope they keep doing the same exact same thing.

Here is a team that just won 4 straight. Yet they are fighting to get the system changed so they can play better teams. HELLO!!!!!! McFly?????

FH played their hand perfectly manuevering around this shitty state set up. The stuff legends are made of.

I totally agree.

I want to clarify something on my post above, Musselman won that WV AA State Title (their last), in 1995, a full 2 years before they started playing Fort Hill in 1997. So, despite being really solid competition, not a single WV CVAL school in the 90's won a State Championship....they were good, but not juggernauts.

If you don't know go back and read. It's obvious you don't know. So anything you say is obviously made up. Bottom line is FH called Middletown for a game. This came directly from the mouth of the person who made the call. Now explain to me how that is ducking someone? If FH waited for 4 days you call that ducking? Wow, you have no clue. Maybe FH already had plans with another team called Dunbar hello?

The same guy was begging any PG County school but Wise to play FH. He even shouted it here. Bowie, Flowers, Parkdale and a few others with the same openimgs if I recall. They all dodged the call.

You need to go back and read the post. It's right here in black and white. Middletown called looking for a game. FH didn't respond until 4 days later. The exact quote was, "After discussing it amongst themselves for 4-5 days." And actually, I never used the term "ducking." But you can't say you can't find any MPSSAA schools to play if you wait 4-5 days to respond to a 2A team with an open date.

I don't know why you keep talking about PG County schools. Todd H has said for years they won't play 4A schools. This isn't debatable, it's not going to happen.

Reactions: bigsavage

I agree with most of this. Why are you trying to change a system that is working for you? What motivation does Todd A have for changing if he's winning a title every year? Why risk a loss to Middletown and possibly have to travel in the semis?

But when you talk about a hand picked schedule, that's a Western Maryland thing. That doesn't take place downstate because every one is in a conference.

Right, why change a system that works? But then don't complain about mpssaa schools not playing you when a 2a school in your neighborhood came calling you put them on hold for almost a week...can't have it both ways... Can't say why change a system that works then cry about schools not playing you when you're turning down said schools... Lol some people don't like to be called out on their bs...

Reactions: BoyznBlue
All I know is PG County ducked FH. Sad. And Dunbar chose to play Alco instead of FH like every team does. It's no fun getting your teeth kicked in. I understand.

Right, why change a system that works? But then don't complain about mpssaa schools not playing you when a 2a school in your neighborhood came calling you put them on hold for almost a week...can't have it both ways... Can't say why change a system that works then cry about schools not playing you when you're turning down said schools... Lol some people don't like to be called out on their bs...

Exactly, lol. As Todd H has pointed out, there are some major flaws in the system. But it's still working for most schools. The problem in Western Maryland is they don't have a conference. In Moco, PG and SoMD, it's simple, beat the teams in your conference and you go to the playoffs. So they don't have to play the scheduling game. Even if you take one or two losses to a private school, or out of area school, it's not going to determine your fate at the end of the year. I can't really speak on Baltimore area schools because I don't follow that region closely. I don't understand why the MPSSAA can't make all the 1A schools in WMD go into a conference.

Reactions: TDHelmick

Your post is excellent, there is nothing else need be said, including from those who bitch about the system...it is what is is, deal with it!

The CVAL was Always Horrible!!
FH Played in The CVAL and 90% of the time the only big game was Martinsburg.
The last 2 years FH Beat Sherando, Sherando split those 2 seasons with Martinsburg

Sherando 21 Martinsburg 14
FH 23 Sherando 14
Martinsburg 35 Sherando 28
FH 49 Sherando 21

I would much rather see FH play Sherando,Martinsburg,Allegany,Keyser and 6 cupcakes than going back to The CVAL days of blowouts. Those CVAL Teams that had a good year once in awhile are gone.
Musselman lost last year to Chestnut Ridge.
Spring Mills,Washington,Hegesville and Jefferson are ALL HORRIBLE!!

The last 2 years FH Beat Sherando, Sherando split those 2 seasons with Martinsburg

FH 23 Sherando 14
FH 49 Sherando 21

I would much rather see FH play Sherando,Martinsburg,Allegany,Keyser and 6 cupcakes than going back to The CVAL days of blowouts. Those CVAL Teams that had a good year once in awhile are gone.

We've already been over this a couple of times. Martinsburg has dominated Sherando in the last 7 years. The 2015 loss was early in the season when Martinsburg was mostly sophomores. FH could make the Martinsburg game any time they want to. Just like they could have made the Middletown game. Todd H has said they aren't going to play Martinsburg. FH isn't going to play 4A schools. Let's talk about real possibilites.

FH 23 Sherando 14
FH 49 Sherando 21

I tend to agree. If you look at the FH dominance over the old CVAL teams it's mind boggling.

CVAL SERIES RECORDS VS FORT HILL
Frederick 23-3
Hampshire 4-0
Hedgesville 17-3
Jefferson 21-6
Martinsburg 46-23
Musselman 7-3
North Hagerstown 36-6
South Hagerstown 28-6

Complete dominance.

I wish the better PG County schools would step up and play FH. They begged this year and just get no thanks or ignorrd. Even when they offer to pay. What more can you do?

In all honesty, while there were a few classic CVAL games, and the Fort Hill/Martinsburg rivalry was always crazy fun, the biggest benefit of the CVAL was that it was such a great schedule filler. In the 90's, well once Musselman joined, you knew that in addrition to the guarantee of Allegany, you were also guaranteed games with Martinsburg, Hedgesville, Jefferson and Musselman. So 50% of your schedule was locked in. Also, those teams brought good and sometimes great crowds to Greenway and the road trips to play them Away were great, 1-1.5 hour trips to familiar places. It was easy living from that perspective. There were some really good individual teams, but Fort Hill clearly dominated all the series. Again, just the guarantee that along with always playing Allegany you were locked in with the CVAL games to 50% of your schedule.

I tend to agree. If you look at the FH dominance over the old CVAL teams it's mind boggling.

CVAL SERIES RECORDS VS FORT HILL
Frederick 23-3
Hampshire 4-0
Hedgesville 17-3
Jefferson 21-6
Martinsburg 46-23
Musselman 7-3
North Hagerstown 36-6
South Hagerstown 28-6

Complete dominance.

I wish the better PG County schools would step up and play FH. They begged this year and just get no thanks or ignorrd. Even when they offer to pay. What more can you do?

Once again, this topic has already been discussed numerous times on this board. FH has a good program and a great history of football, but at the end Martinsburg was completely dominating the series. They ran off 6 straight and then FH left the CVAL. And after the season they had last year, we know the game won't be made any time in the near future. Debate possible games. No need to talk about Martinsburg and 4A schools. And 1A schools, even the best 1A school in the state, shouldn't be playing those schools.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2006-10-21/news/25060214_1_fort-hill-drew-yurko-sentinels

Always about Martinsburg. As if no other team in the CVAL mattered.

Scheduling always about Martinsburg. As if no other team exists in Berkeley or Jefferson County. There will be no debate about possible future games with Jefferson, Hedgesville, Musselman or Hampshire either. Or the Hagerstown schools or Frederick.

Who can beat FH? Is that all that matters? Absolutely. At least for the ones who despise FH football. This was a CVAL discussion, not a Martinsburg vs. FH discussion. Too funny and predictable it headed that direction which only proves my point that the CVAL wasnt all mighty.

http://www.forthillfootball.net/articles/2009/0926_martinsburg.htm

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT