ADVERTISEMENT

FH FOOTBALL

purpleace

All State Poster
Oct 22, 2010
1 A TEAM FROM PA.2 A TEAM FROM WVA. 3 A TEAM FROM DC. ps STILL HAVE 1 OPENING ! GOBIGRED !FILM AT 11

A DC team? Even after the '08 Dunbar debacle? Don't leave us in suspense? Who are they?

Is the WV team from Ona WV as in Cabell Midland

Is this a list of possible teams to fill that 1 open date 10/13

Its going to take some luck now to get Cabell Midland they moved their week 1 game to week 10,
so now they need 1 game on either 8/25 or 9/29

They can't now move teams around as easy with moving Spring Valley, WV into the week 10 date of 10/27,
It takes away the option of moving Parkersburg to 10/20 and St Albans to 10/27 to open up 10/13 for Fort Hill

I did know Cabell Midland opened up Week 1 making the offer from FH unlikely to work. It boiled down to the fact both FH and Cabell Midland only had 4 home games. Neither wanted to travel 6 times. And if I were in the shoes of Coach Salmons at CM I would have done exactly the same. No hard feelings...he is looking out for his kid's best interest and this is how scheduling works sometimes. If FH had agreed to go there the Sentinels would have been on the road the entire month of October. Plus it's a 4 hour trip for either school. Even more important is that CM is full for 2018 so this could only be a one year deal. Much has changed for both schools I suspect since this was put into motion over a month ago.

Scheduling can be a very, very complex thing with obstacles appearing at every turn sometimes. Whether it's money or travel distance to things like can we use neutral refs, can we play Friday or Saturday, what type of meal can you feed us. Crazy minute stuff. For FH to piece together a 10 game schedule it involved many other states and even other countries. This winter was the craziest scheduling process I have ever seen times ten. Especially with FH needing 4 brand new games. One day this looked like a done deal, the next day not. MPSSAA schools are not really an option anymore, which will be well documented with the 2017 schedule. On a similar note, PG County just went under a major reconstruction of how they broke down their regional scheduling. It really put a kink in things for several schools. I think PG might be making the right moves, just doing it very poorly in regards to the timing and without warning. Much more on that one later.

Reactions: mccoke
Did anyone really think this was going to happen?? Hell FH schedule makers ducked Middletown a school just 1 classification size bigger and only an 1 hr away... Now they're complaining no mpssaa schools will play them... How much sense does that make? Who actually thought FH was seriously considering playing a school 2x's its size and 4 hrs away and not a guaranteed win? You probably have a better chance at hitting the power ball then getting the schedule makers to agree to a game with Cabell Midland.

I did know Cabell Midland opened up Week 1 making the offer from FH unlikely to work. It boiled down to the fact both FH and Cabell Midland only had 4 home games. Neither wanted to travel 6 times. And if I were in the shoes of Coach Salmons at CM I would have done exactly the same. No hard feelings...he is looking out for his kid's best interest and this is how scheduling works sometimes. If FH had agreed to go there the Sentinels would have been on the road the entire month of October. Plus it's a 4 hour trip for either school. Even more important is that CM is full for 2018 so this could only be a one year deal. Much has changed for both schools I suspect since this was put into motion over a month ago.

Scheduling can be a very, very complex thing with obstacles appearing at every turn sometimes. Whether it's money or travel distance to things like can we use neutral refs, can we play Friday or Saturday, what type of meal can you feed us. Crazy minute stuff. For FH to piece together a 10 game schedule it involved many other states and even other countries. This winter was the craziest scheduling process I have ever seen times ten. Especially with FH needing 4 brand new games. One day this looked like a done deal, the next day not. MPSSAA schools are not really an option anymore, which will be well documented with the 2017 schedule. On a similar note, PG County just went under a major reconstruction of how they broke down their regional scheduling. It really put a kink in things for several schools. I think PG might be making the right moves, just doing it very poorly in regards to the timing and without warning. Much more on that one later.

So Cabell Midland turned down the FH offer to play in 2017? I heard FH offered them a good chunk of money. Did they say why they did not want to play FH?

So Cabell Midland turned down the FH offer to play in 2017? I heard FH offered them a good chunk of money.

Correct. The pay out would probably have been the most FH has paid a team in 20 years or maybe ever. It would have been based on the gate.

Did they say why they did not want to play FH?

Not specifically. My best assumption is that they wanted a home game for only a one year deal as outlined in my original post. I'm not even sure they found that opponent yet. Ed would know better than I. But they shifted things around to where I don't see how they can free up Oct. 13.

Last edited:
No opponent yet for their 2 open dates.
But by moving Spring Valley from 8/25 to 10/27 it took away the option of Cabell Midland freeing up 10/13 by moving 2 schools back a week each to free up that 10/13 date for Cabell Midland to play Fort Hill.
They would have had to move St Albans from 10/20 to 10/27 that was possible cause SA was open on 10/27
They would have had to move my school, Parkersburg from 10/13 to 10/20 this was possible and agreed to by both already to free up 10/13 for Cabell Midland to play Fort Hill.
Not sure why Cabell Midland moved Spring Valley to 10/27 to block these other possible moves.
I know they cant move Parkersburg to 8/25 or 9/29 because we have games on that those dates and only have 10/20 open as our bye week, cause unlike Maryland, WV has 11 weeks to play 10 games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ed how can a team like Cabell Midland need a game for 2017 but be full for 2018?
because in 2018 the conference that Cabell Midland and Parkersburg are both a member of the Mountain State Athletic Conference (MSAC) is requiring schools to schedule 8 MSAC games, instead of the current number of only 6 that is in affect for 2017

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't blame Todd or Fort Hill for this not working out.
Can't really blame Cabell Midland either, Coach salmons is trying like HELL to get a home game to have 5 in 2017.
I'm thinking, hasn't confirmed that CM might be looking at a DCIAA school to pay to come to Ona, WV, I call them a Rent A Win Contracts.
Pay a small check and a meal to any DC school will get them on a bus to almost any where within 500 miles of DC

I do know that CM has contacted schools in 8 different states with the only one really serious about playing being Fort Hill.

In years past, Parkersburg has had McKinley, Coolidge, and Dunbar all come to Parkersburg for a $2500 check and a meal at Jimmie Colombios, a local Italian restaunt owned by our Mayor.
He feeds all 3 teams in Parkersburg, a meal before any Football or Basketball trip for free.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Fort Hill was offering part of the gate, and I know they were cause Coach Salmons told me so, I'm a little surprised this moving of games around without opening 10/13 up surprises me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like Todd says filling a 10 game schedule is becoming a nightmare for any school not in a conference, and then for some within a conference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Waggle Pass
FH made a living through the 1990s renting wins from DC public schools. The year they won it all in 97 they rented 4 of those DC teams. You hear people bitch about the current FH 1A schedule. Yet when you look at the best years of the 1990s such as 94 and 97, those 2A schedules were not as good as the one they play now. The only opponent worth a damn in 97 when FH won a state title was Alco. Just sayin. Kudos to our schedule makers. If what I hear is true about a possible Oct 13 opponent WOW! I mean WOW WOW WOW! Make it happen TDHelmick.

Probably best to let Mr. Helmick divulge that info. Not sure if this is even done deal stuff. Let's just say it's a top rate opponent from nowhere near these parts. It's been known for sometime FH has been digging into Canada from what I have heard and what TD has posted here to back it up. But this team isn't from Canada.

Is this another one of those Good Counsel rumors?
There are a few great opportunities starring Cumberland in the face right now. They don't come cheap. Any boosters with deep pockets willing to help out let me know :)

FH made a living through the 1990s renting wins from DC public schools. The year they won it all in 97 they rented 4 of those DC teams. You hear people bitch about the current FH 1A schedule. Yet when you look at the best years of the 1990s such as 94 and 97, those 2A schedules were not as good as the one they play now. The only opponent worth a damn in 97 when FH won a state title was Alco. Just sayin. Kudos to our schedule makers. If what I hear is true about a possible Oct 13 opponent WOW! I mean WOW WOW WOW! Make it happen TDHelmick.

In those years they were still playing the CVAL schedule which was usually had a least two tough teams most seasons.

Did anyone really think this was going to happen?? Hell FH schedule makers ducked Middletown a school just 1 classification size bigger and only an 1 hr away... Now they're complaining no mpssaa schools will play them... How much sense does that make? Who actually thought FH was seriously considering playing a school 2x's its size and 4 hrs away and not a guaranteed win? You probably have a better chance at hitting the power ball then getting the schedule makers to agree to a game with Cabell Midland.

This is the question?

Reactions: bigsavage
Yes, that is a question that has been answered too many times to count. Including the Middletown Fantasy.

How many MPSSAA schools that had the same open date as FH decline an offer to host FH in 2017? You can find out at the MPSSAA Football Committee meeting tomorrow at BWI Airport as we all discuss change to the playoff system. This is a big meeting. Many will speak.

Personally, I don't care how they set it up. Just expand to stop the schedule cherry picking madness. The MPSSAA has built a system that discourages competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: mccoke
In those years they were still playing the CVAL schedule which was usually had a least two tough teams most seasons.

Not one school in the CVAL through the 90s consistently defeated FH. Martinsburg obviously had the best record having won a few times. But more often than not was getting defeated by 30+ points by FH. And no school other than Martinsburg beat FH in consecutive seasons. martinsburg having done it once.

Like seriously, you've said before, consistently beating teams by 30+ points is not a rivalry. Martinsburg's domination of FH didnt start until the mid 2000's.

Playing the CVAL now is a far more daunting task than it was year in and year out in the 80s or 90s. I know we lvoe the days of yore, but reality check please.

Not one school in the CVAL through the 90s consistently defeated FH. Martinsburg obviously had the best record having won a few times. But more often than not was getting defeated by 30+ points by FH. And no school other than Martinsburg beat FH in consecutive seasons. martinsburg having done it once.

Like seriously, you've said before, consistently beating teams by 30+ points is not a rivalry. Martinsburg's domination of FH didnt start until the mid 2000's.

Playing the CVAL now is a far more daunting task than it was year in and year out in the 80s or 90s. I know we lvoe the days of yore, but reality check please.

I have to disagree... Top to bottom CVAL was much better then than now... Mussleman and Hedgesville were both tough outs in the 90's Mussleman winning it all in 95. Martinsburg, Mussleman, Hedgesville, Allegany and Jefferson were all better then than now with the exception of Martinsburg who is better now. The rest of what could be considered the CVAL has fallen off drastically..You had players excelling at the next level and in the pros from the CVAL in that era. I can't name one player from the CVAL that has played let alone excelled at the next level since.. Maybe Nate Sowers playing sparingly at wvu?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyznBlue
Check the 1997 2A championship season scores and you will see what I mean. FH laid 45 points or more on every single CVAL team but Alco. Then you throw in 4 DC rent a teams and that about sums it up. Im not knocking on either years schedule. Thats not my hang up as it is for others. Just know the schedule FH just played in 2016 was no worse off than what was played in 1997.

I don't think its a problem of having to play teams in your league as much as it is going out in search of a schedule full of cream puffs... People complained about renting 4 d.c. teams when it happened..

The CVAL was better back in the day. Musselman was very good at first. Names like Frank Alavito of Hedgesville and James Jett of Jefferson still stand out in my memories. There are others that don't come to mind right now.

Check the 1997 2A championship season scores and you will see what I mean. FH laid 45 points or more on every single CVAL team but Alco. Then you throw in 4 DC rent a teams and that about sums it up. Im not knocking on either years schedule. Thats not my hang up as it is for others. Just know the schedule FH just played in 2016 was no worse off than what was played in 1997.

What you're saying could be true. Maybe the CVAL had a down year and the schedule wasn't that competitive. Or maybe the 1997 FH team was just that good. But either way you can't compare to the last three years of playing bad teams. The CVAL usually produced a couple of good teams every year. So you couldn't avoid playing 3 or 4 tough games a year. That's the whole thing about being in a real conference. You can't avoid teams.

Yes, that is a question that has been answered too many times to count. Including the Middletown Fantasy.

How many MPSSAA schools that had the same open date as FH decline an offer to host FH in 2017? You can find out at the MPSSAA Football Committee meeting tomorrow at BWI Airport as we all discuss change to the playoff system. This is a big meeting. Many will speak.

Personally, I don't care how they set it up. Just expand to stop the schedule cherry picking madness. The MPSSAA has built a system that discourages competition.

Why is it a "Middletown Fantasy" now, lol. You were the person that said it and the question really wasn't answered.

Reactions: bigsavage
Maybe the FH teams the last 4 years were just that good. The schedules between now and then are exactly the same conference or no conference.

The "Middletown Fantasy" is that FH ducked the game. If that is true then all of PG County ducked FH. LOL.

Maybe the FH teams the last 4 years were just that good. The schedules between now and then are exactly the same conference or no conference.

The "Middletown Fantasy" is that FH ducked the game. If that is true then all of PG County ducked FH. LOL.

"then (((ALL))) of PG County ducked FH.
LOL."

This is why we can't have intelligent discussions... I wasn't aware that Wise "ducked" FH?

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
What you're saying could be true. Maybe the CVAL had a down year and the schedule wasn't that competitive. Or maybe the 1997 FH team was just that good. But either way you can't compare to the last three years of playing bad teams. The CVAL usually produced a couple of good teams every year. So you couldn't avoid playing 3 or 4 tough games a year. That's the whole thing about being in a real conference. You can't avoid teams.

So one state title through the 90s, while playing a debatable tougher schedule, is better than 4 straight titles playing what some perceive as a lesser schedule? Taking into account that FH has almost 400 less students in 2017 than in 1997?

I dunno, it's pretty sweet winning state titles. I mean, that's what Alco people always used to say. I see their point. But hey, Alco is playing Dunbar next year. So even if they dont win a title...there's that, right? You buy that? I dont.

So one state title through the 90s, while playing a debatable tougher schedule, is better than 4 straight titles playing what some perceive as a lesser schedule? Taking into account that FH has almost 400 less students in 2017 than in 1997?

I dunno, it's pretty sweet winning state titles. I mean, that's what Alco people always used to say. I see their point. But hey, Alco is playing Dunbar next year. So even if they dont win a title...there's that, right? You buy that? I dont.

Apples to oranges comparison.. FH played in 3a and 2a in the 80's and 90's.. Ask Dunbar how hard it is to win 2a...

I didn't say it was better or worse. I'm saying the schedules they were playing in those days were much more difficult. I'm not sure what Alco playing Dunbar has to do with this conversation.

I didn't say it was better or worse. I'm saying the schedules they were playing in those days were much more difficult. I'm not sure what Alco playing Dunbar has to do with this conversation.

I'm pointing out that based on your logic of the importance of a strong schedule, it's better for Alco to play Dunbar and not win a title than FH to play other teams that you say aren't as good and win a title.

Apples to oranges comparison.. FH played in 3a and 2a in the 80's and 90's.. Ask Dunbar how hard it is to win 2a...

Exactly my point, I quantified my post in saying that FH has nearly 400 less students now than 1997. So whether the CVAL is stronger or weaker than back then, it's irrelevant. FH is not a big 2A small 3A school anymore. You're literally agreeing with me.

I have no idea what you're talking about, lol - Nobody in PG County ducked FH. FH has played all three PG 1A teams over the last few years, and Todd H has said they aren't going to play any 4A schools.

The Middletown situation was crystal clear. FH has complained they couldn't get any 2A or 1A MPSSAA schools to play them, then when Middletown called it took 4 days to make a decision. These are Todd's own words.

I'm pointing out that based on your logic of the importance of a strong schedule, it's better for Alco to play Dunbar and not win a title than FH to play other teams that you say aren't as good and win a title.

Exactly my point, I quantified my post in saying that FH has nearly 400 less students now than 1997. So whether the CVAL is stronger or weaker than back then, it's irrelevant. FH is not a big 2A small 3A school anymore. You're literally agreeing with me.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say anything about the importance of a strong schedule. I'm making an observation that the schedule was more difficult in the CVAL days. You said it's sweet winning 1A titles. Salute!

You're putting words in my mouth. I said it's sweet winning state titles.

Your turn

The only thing I can say we agree on is to agree to disagree...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT