ADVERTISEMENT

FH at Friendship Collegiate

I’ve been watching film and reading articles on this team for 2 weeks. I didn’t think FH stood a chance today. It was amazing this game was as close as it was
gen excellent posts, lots of good info. do you think if fh had a backup plan for when their running game is stopped it might help. honestly it looked like "we are gonna run, we always run, we always win, why change it now". I've said this many times - a screen pass, an end around, perhaps a wide receiver reverse, a halfback option pass, any number of passes to backs coming out of the backfield...anything at all to not be so vanilla - could only enhance the running game.
in a game like this if you have no backup plan you're almost conceding.
i get that normally nobody stops fh's running game, but that doesn't mean you couldn't benefit from having another option. if there was some diversity and teams couldn't put 8 or 9 people on the line every play, that would actually help the running game.
the one thing about fh's coaching staff is this - the closer the game, the more conservative they will get.

Reactions: 4R341
The Ol' 3-8 defense. Older than the flying wedge. /s

I didn't see or listen to much of the game, but was probably more of a 3-4 with very tight corners and the safeties playing up.
they had 3 down lineman and basically 5 linebackers. i'd be shocked if teams don't start trying that on fh. sure not everybody is going to have those athletes but as much as people thought the wing-t would be a weapon it was nothing against a 3-5!

Perryville beat an undefeated and very strong FH team in 2011 with a stout 3-5. It looked very similar to today.

However, a good trap game can even that out, just stay off the corners. This FCA team was quick, they swarmed to the ball. They scouted FH very well.

They were not cocky, very few issues that I saw. Looked coachest pretty well to me. The penalties seemed legit. Clean game, I agree.

Hats off to Friendship. Good sportsmanship, good coaching and great athletes. End of that story.

There isn't a team on the FH schedule that can run a 3-5 type alignment and slow them down. Friendship had athletes everywhere. Had nothing to do with alignments.

Reactions: towpath94
I just said the same thing to a good buddy Brian. Lots of raw feelings right now. I’m sure there will be regrets about all sorts of things and positives will come of it.

Lost to a better more motivated team. A little disappointed in the effort today early. Were we intimidated? All good things come to an end. We are very lucky that it wasn't worse. I was worried that what happened today would happen (see prediction in earlier thread).

I thought the game was well officiated. I was impressed the way FCA performed and how they had nothing but good things to say about FH after the game. Love the sportsmanship shown.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
gen excellent posts, lots of good info. do you think if fh had a backup plan for when their running game is stopped it might help. honestly it looked like "we are gonna run, we always run, we always win, why change it now". I've said this many times - a screen pass, an end around, perhaps a wide receiver reverse, a halfback option pass, any number of passes to backs coming out of the backfield...anything at all to not be so vanilla - could only enhance the running game.
in a game like this if you have no backup plan you're almost conceding.
i get that normally nobody stops fh's running game, but that doesn't mean you couldn't benefit from having another option. if there was some diversity and teams couldn't put 8 or 9 people on the line every play, that would actually help the running game.
the one thing about fh's coaching staff is this - the closer the game, the more conservative they will get.
I believe Apple did concede... players were banged up, and he just wanted to get out of there.

Hope the player that got hurt is well. Seen his parents loading him up during halftime, and asked how he was. He felt a “pop” on his ankle that had been previously had surgery. I hope he just broke some scar tissue. From my own experience I know that can be pretty painful after a previous surgery

I feel FH “could” have a decent passing game, but to send players across the field for potential big hits was to much a risk for little reward. We would have got more points for beating Northern than beating FCA today. Makes very little sense

We would have got more points for beating Northern than beating FCA today. Makes very little sense[/QUOTE]

That's been the case for 40 years now. Size of the school and bonus points for each win. That's how every state does it really. Some give bonus points for playing a team that made the playoffs the previous year, but its mostly consistent throughout the country.

I feel FH “could” have a decent passing game, but to send players across the field for potential big hits was to much a risk for little reward.

When teams dont play Fort Hill because it's too little reward, Fort Hill fans on here rip them for being scared. When you think Fort Hill takes the same route, why not criticize them the same way?

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Be clear this is a public school and every high school football staff should try to get as many kids to college as possible on scholarship. I didn't know about their alumni in the NFL. Do you have the names of those players?

This is all I could find

Goldman attended Florida State University from 2012 to 2014. During his career he had 62 tackles and six sacks. After his junior season, Goldman decided to forgo his senior year and enter the 2015 NFL Draft.[2][3
Goldman was drafted 39th overall by the Chicago Bears in the 2015 NFL Draft. He played in 15 games his rookie year with 12 starts recording 22 tackles and 4.5 sacks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Goldman

Ngakoue was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the third round (69th overall) in the 2016 NFL Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yannick_Ngakoue

https://theundefeated.com/features/...ds-18-football-players-to-division-i-schools/

https://www.si.com/high-school/video/2012/08/21/underdogs-friendship-collegiate-academy

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/2157889318001/default_default/index.html?videoId=2567841408001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

When teams dont play Fort Hill because it's too little reward, Fort Hill fans on here rip them for being scared. When you think Fort Hill takes the same route, why not criticize them the same way?
I’m just saying he maybe wanted the game over with. Calm down... dude... FH wasn’t ducking FCA!!! Lol.

I’m just saying he maybe wanted the game over with. Calm down... dude... FH wasn’t ducking FCA!!! Lol.
Then why did you imply that? You just can't stop contradicting yourself, son. At least have a little consistency.

Dematha is 14th in the Washington area and they blew Friendship out. They put up like 42 or 48 points most all in the second half when they ran their offense. Friendship isn't in the top 20

Dematha is 14th in the Washington area and they blew Friendship out. They put up like 42 or 48 points most all in the second half when they ran their offense. Friendship isn't in the top 20

Washington Area? That has to be a misprint if you read 14th is the Wash area. Their top 10 in the state and that ranking is based solely on having three, now four loses to some National Powers whom themselves play some pretty tough nationally ranked competition.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
They rank VA schools in that post, I guess they use of out state schools close to area as well. Oh well. Still doesn’t discredit the talent Dematha has or the power houses they’ve lost to. Dematha legit, FCA no slouch, simple as that

I tried to explain last week that mistakes are made all the time in journalism - especially high school sports journalism. Even IMG Academy doesn't produce 18 D1 players in one year, lol. And if you read the article they name several colleges (Bowie State, Howard, Stevenson) that aren't D1.

But I think it's great the administration is putting an emphasis on getting scholarships for their players. Other schools should do the same.

Reactions: GenSneaky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT