ADVERTISEMENT

Dunbar vs FH (1A State Title Game)

4R341

Blue Chip Poster
Nov 14, 2005
If FH wants to have a legitimate shot at beating Dunbar, they better work, a minimum of, 15 pass plays into next Saturday's game. Wheel patterns, screens, outs, fades. FH has an excellent passing QB in #3. He's been wasted most of the season. Don't make the mistake of years past or the outcome will once again be disappointing. Utilize all of the talent on your team - please!!!

Good luck Sentinels!

--Armchair Coach in Cumberland

If FH wants to have a legitimate shot at beating Dunbar, they better work, a minimum of, 15 pass plays into next Saturday's game. Wheel patterns, screens, outs, fades. FH has an excellent passing QB in #3. He's been wasted most of the season. Don't make the mistake of years past or the outcome will once again be disappointing. Utilize all of the talent on your team - please!!!

Good luck Sentinels!

--Armchair Coach in Cumberland
I can't ever see that happening. Coach will go down doing what he believes in, even if he's down early, like at FCA.
Dunbar has had early season losses year after year, they improve as the year goes on.
Nothing against allegany because they beat dunbar fair and square, but this Dunbar team is not going to let anybody including fh put up 49 points on them at this point in the season.

I can't ever see that happening. Coach will go down doing what he believes in, even if he's down early, like at FCA.
Dunbar has had early season losses year after year, they improve as the year goes on.
Nothing against allegany because they beat dunbar fair and square, but this Dunbar team is not going to let anybody including fh put up 49 points on them at this point in the season.
They need to move the ball. Strategic short passes will open up the run and will force them to respect the pass. Allegany, just as Lackey, figured out that stacking the box against FH will negate the overall effectiveness of the run - which is 99.9% of their plays. This keeps FHs offense off the field and gives the opposing team a much better chance of staying in the game. And you're right. This is not the same Dunbar team that faced Allegany.

I hate seeing #3 being wasted. If he would just have more of an option of throwing on those QB bootlegs they would be more consistently effective.

I just spoke to a friend that went dunbar game today. He said fh has the better team and should win. He said this is the worst dunbar team he has seen through the years, and that's not a knock on dunbar but they have had some really good teams. Overall dunbar is not big. He said fh will wear them down. He does not see dunbar stopping fh on offense. He said dunbar has a few athletes but he likes fh 42-21. He said if FH played havre de grace the score would have been 56-14 type of game. He said Dunbar and Alco are evenly matched. Fh won big at homecoming, and should have won big in playoffs but played conservative and it almost got away from them. And by conservative I mean when you throw the ball 4 times are you really playing to win or are you playing to not lose. #3 throws clean, sharp passes, use him, keep them honest.

Armchair coach #2

Reactions: 5punisher3
Dunbar must have played a horrible schedule then, which isn't the case because they blew every team out. Is the game Saturday at 3:30 pm

I just spoke to a friend that went dunbar game today. He said fh has the better team and should win. He said this is the worst dunbar team he has seen through the years, and that's not a knock on dunbar but they have had some really good teams. Overall dunbar is not big. He said fh will wear them down. He does not see dunbar stopping fh on offense. He said dunbar has a few athletes but he likes fh 42-21. He said if FH played havre de grace the score would have been 56-14 type of game. He said Dunbar and Alco are evenly matched. Fh won big at homecoming, and should have won big in playoffs but played conservative and it almost got away from them. And by conservative I mean when you throw the ball 4 times are you really playing to win or are you playing to not lose. #3 throws clean, sharp passes, use him, keep them honest.

Armchair coach #2
Lol...Believe me if Fort hill could have blown Allegany out in that playoff game they would have, but they couldn't! I guess Fort Hill played conservative against Lackey also since they didn't blow them off the field, we'll find out next Saturday if your friend knows what he's talking about.

Couldn’t? Lol. Game could have easily been 49-14 FH. But it’s football. Fumbles happen. Dropped passes happen. 3 plays change the whole game. But to say couldn’t is quite a stretch.

Couldn’t? Lol. Game could have easily been 49-14 FH. But it’s football. Fumbles happen. Dropped passes happen. 3 plays change the whole game. But to say couldn’t is quite a stretch.
You all have excuses a mile long every time you play a close game, they fumbled they dropped a pass, they didn't sleep right, they just played a tough game the week before excuse after excuse can't you just give the other team some credit once in awhile, but hey it's your fairytale tell it however you like.

Reactions: OneRing
Obviously you lack reading comprehension. You said FH couldn’t. They obviously could because they had done it 2 weeks prior. Allegany played one hell of a game. But you made the stupid comment. I just felt inclined to correct you.

Obviously you lack reading comprehension. You said FH couldn’t. They obviously could because they had done it 2 weeks prior. Allegany played one hell of a game. But you made the stupid comment. I just felt inclined to correct you.
I read just fine! Two weeks prior was Home coming, I said they couldn't do it in the playoff game just because you do something once don't mean you can do it again, maybe you need to learn how to read.

Lmao. We knew there would be a few Allegany fans that would try to turn that game into a win somehow. I won’t down a bunch of kids awesome effort because of your funny comment. But you stretch that couldn’t as faaaaar as you can.

Lmao. We knew there would be a few Allegany fans that would try to turn that game into a win somehow. I won’t down a bunch of kids awesome effort because of your funny comment. But you stretch that couldn’t as faaaaar as you can.
Stretch that couldn't whatever that means....,
Lmao... I'm not trying to turn it into a win we lost, the better team won, but on that night you all couldn't blow us off the field and you can't stand it, I'm just trying to make a point that when somebody plays you all close they don't get credit for being a good team it's because you all didn't play well and that's not always the case.

Allegany could have won the playoff game against FH. FH just beat a Lackey team that is not strong. You all predicted FH to win by 3 touchdowns and Lackey beat themselves. No way FH should have won that game last night

It doesn’t bother me at all. You can also say that you don’t like that FH blows out Allegany in the playoffs if we don’t fumble twice. That without your breaks it’s a repeat of week 10. We can play the what if’s all ya want. To say couldn’t is a stretch. Minus two fumbles it’s the same out come of two weeks prior. So sure. You are stretching “Couldn’t”.

You only beat Lackey because they could not kick and FH made long field goals so now you are going to win big against Dunbar lol

Sure they could have. Allegany played very well and the platform was set for an upset. You can’t turn over the ball and drop touch down passes that hit you in the numbers. Especially against a good team. FH absolutely could have blown Allegany out that day. To say otherwise is a far stretch from reality.

Lol...Believe me if Fort hill could have blown Allegany out in that playoff game they would have, but they couldn't! I guess Fort Hill played conservative against Lackey also since they didn't blow them off the field, we'll find out next Saturday if your friend knows what he's talking about.
Believe me, fh is happy to win by 1 point. That's the problem. Fh likes to get the lead and sit on it. Fh could have throw on Allegany all day but for some reason chose not too because that is fh football. Fh calls better plays when they are losing ( which isn't to often) but if they are winning it is run, run and then run some more. Ball control and work the clock. Case and point, sherando game down at sherando a couple years ago. Fh down 14-0 at the half. Fh comes out in 2nd half throwing 1st and then that opened up the running game, a balance attack and wins the game 23-14. That was the best playing calling that night in the 2nd half. They threw more in the 2nd half vs sherando than they have any game this year. If fh would have thrown a dozen times or so vs Alco 2 weeks ago, they win going away. Think what you will, but that is my opinion. And don' get me wrong, coach Hansel had one heck of a game plan defensively but fh never countered with anything. It was fh fb, get lead and control clock. The problem is, that is how you lose games. When you play to win, then if you lose, you can say we lost to a better team and it easier to accept. But when you play to not lose and then lose, it' a tough pill to swallow. Don't get me wrong, anyone can beat anyone any given day. Fh should have won big 2 weeks ago but they didn't, and that's football.

Last edited:
I love how they say this isn't the same Dunbar team Alco beat lol.. If they played tomorrow the score wouldn't be much different.. Plz don't act like every team stays the same but only Dunbar gets stronger as the season progresses...
I agree with you on this one. From what I heard, Dunbar is no different than they were week 1. Fh big next saturday, if they come to WIN. I'll give my buddy hell if he is wrong but he does know his stuff. I know him and he would flat out say if fh was in trouble. He said fh should win the game. And if IMO don't turn the ball over and don't do stupid stuff like trying to field a bad punt bouncing on the ground with 3 mins left in the 2nd winning 17-6 with a chance to put the game away before half, they should be in business. That is the stuff I don't get. How do you not tell the punt returner, if you can't catch it in the air, just get away from it in that situation? Who knows, maybe they did and he didn't listen. I would have said if you can't catch this punt clean, let it go, and if you do anything different, you are done for the game. These kids are teenagers, you have to tell them everything.

Allegany could have won the playoff game against FH. FH just beat a Lackey team that is not strong. You all predicted FH to win by 3 touchdowns and Lackey beat themselves. No way FH should have won that game last night
A Lackey team that is not strong? Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Lackey actually made fh look small.
I agree Lackey should have won, fh did everything they could to give it to them. Lackey o line was huge, worn fh down because defensively fh was on the field a long time, not to mention several players playing both ways. Fh playing not to lose once they had the lead as they do, didn't help matters. Lackey definitely a 2a team size wise. I have a feeling the state title was just played at greenway friday night. Make me wonder if 1 2 3 isn't 1.fh, 2. Lackey 3. Douglass 4. Alco/dunbar. We will know soon enough.

Last edited:
I love how they say this isn't the same Dunbar team Alco beat lol.. If they played tomorrow the score wouldn't be much different.. Plz don't act like every team stays the same but only Dunbar gets stronger as the season progresses...
I hope you are correct. Ask any coach from either FH or Allegany when you would rather play Dunbar. Ask them. They are a totally different animal typically between Week 1 and Playoffs. There are many reason why this is. I’m not getting in to that. Don’t let the statement hurt your feelings, talk to the people who know why. Again I hope you are correct. I’d like to see another title come back to Cumberland. The statement is not intended as a knock on the Allegany accomplishment. I’m sorry you are taking it that way.

Unless the State comes up with an equation that converts moral victories into points on the score board, Allegany and Lackey still loose. Call Sheldon, Leonard, Howard & Raj, I'm sure they can figure something out. Hell, you can even throw in Penny and Amy Farrah Fowler.

Thats
I hope you are correct. Ask any coach from either FH or Allegany when you would rather play Dunbar. Ask them. They are a totally different animal typically between Week 1 and Playoffs. There are many reason why this is. I’m not getting in to that. Don’t let the statement hurt your feelings, talk to the people who know why. Again I hope you are correct. I’d like to see another title come bo Cumberland. The statement is not intended as a knock on the Allegany accomplishment. I’m sorry you are taking it that way.
Dunbar might be better since week 1 but so is FH... Every team gets stronger as the season goes on unless they have injuries.. I would rather play a team later in the season when I have plenty of game footage to review.. I think the only way FH loses this game is if the play calling is too conservative.. Dunbar didn't have any success stopping the wing t but I'm sure they've learned from it.. They will do exactly what Alco and Lackey did defensively. That's why FH needs to throw the ball to open things up...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5punisher3
I don't think Dunbar has the personnel to do what Lackey and Alco did on defense. Different brand of football.

If they don't try to change things up FH will run it down their throat...

They can switch it up and try what Alco and Lackey did but they wont have anywhere near the success. It would be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

I hope you are correct. Ask any coach from either FH or Allegany when you would rather play Dunbar. Ask them. They are a totally different animal typically between Week 1 and Playoffs. There are many reason why this is. I’m not getting in to that. Don’t let the statement hurt your feelings, talk to the people who know why. Again I hope you are correct. I’d like to see another title come back to Cumberland. The statement is not intended as a knock on the Allegany accomplishment. I’m sorry you are taking it that way.
They can switch it up and try what Alco and Lackey did but they wont have anywhere near the success. It would be fitting a square peg into a round hole.
Before the Alco/Dunbar game Hansel said "they are too quick to run outside against so we'll be running between the tackles". All game long it was Robinette up the middle, from start to finish. When there was no hole he was dragging people.FH's #4 needs a hole to get started, then he can drag a few, but nothing like Robinette.
The only time Alco ran outside was a quick pitch or a run that started at the tackle but jumped outside when the dunbar defense collapsed inside. They didn't force it.
The biggest thing Allegany did that fh is resistant to is mixing up their offensive looks. They always had at least one wideout but sometimes three or four. Dunbar was incapable of stopping Robinette when there were only 4 or 5 men on the line. As soon as Allegany dropped to one receiver they had 9 or 10 guys right there in the box ready to pounce...however, even with that many they still were not able to stop the run.
Allegany threw very very smartly. There were no throwaways or long bombs. There were strategic safe passes that were usually 10 yards more or less, but they got first downs and most importantly they kept dunbar so confused they didn't know what was next.
Don't forget, Allegany was up 20 points in that game. Dunbar is so explosive they were able to come back a bit but Allegany never gave them anything, no turnover, no stupid penalty, and they mixed in llewelyn and buford so keying on robinette didn't even work.
I don't see fh stopping their offense unless they can keep getting first downs, long drives, and avoid having to play defense.

Before the Alco/Dunbar game Hansel said "they are too quick to run outside against so we'll be running between the tackles". All game long it was Robinette up the middle, from start to finish. When there was no hole he was dragging people.FH's #4 needs a hole to get started, then he can drag a few, but nothing like Robinette.
The only time Alco ran outside was a quick pitch or a run that started at the tackle but jumped outside when the dunbar defense collapsed inside. They didn't force it.
The biggest thing Allegany did that fh is resistant to is mixing up their offensive looks. They always had at least one wideout but sometimes three or four. Dunbar was incapable of stopping Robinette when there were only 4 or 5 men on the line. As soon as Allegany dropped to one receiver they had 9 or 10 guys right there in the box ready to pounce...however, even with that many they still were not able to stop the run.
Allegany threw very very smartly. There were no throwaways or long bombs. There were strategic safe passes that were usually 10 yards more or less, but they got first downs and most importantly they kept dunbar so confused they didn't know what was next.
Don't forget, Allegany was up 20 points in that game. Dunbar is so explosive they were able to come back a bit but Allegany never gave them anything, no turnover, no stupid penalty, and they mixed in llewelyn and buford so keying on robinette didn't even work.
I don't see fh stopping their offense unless they can keep getting first downs, long drives, and avoid having to play defense.

Also, FH MUST capitalize on any turnover Dunbar commits. Dunbar lost two fumbles and threw two interceptions against HDG. HDG only turned one into points.

Wow. Sounds like Allegany should be in the title game........oh thats right, they got beat by FH twice and by the way our FB is #5.

The only reason we are talking about Alco is because they faced Dunbar.. When you are talking strategy it helps to talk about the only team that beat them and how they did it..

Reactions: 4R341
Cumbfanatic "FH beat a Lackey team that was not strong" what was in that cup you was drinking? cause I know it wasn't diet coke. Since game I've talked with several FH players(they start both sides of the ball,fyi) they compared Lackey to the likes of MCC and Friendship, especially the O and D lineman. I'm not one of the so called "experts or professional journalists" here on this computer but I'm telling you, you must've had your binoculars turned backwards if you were at that game. Lackey was big, strong and athletic. Kinda surprised at their coaching during the 2nd half, didn't take advantage of FH's soft spot, that's all I'm gonna say.........

Reactions: fblhp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT